Stupid Name, Awesome Team: An offensive OU team.

Stupid Name, Awesome Team

Introduction

Welcome to my second RMT! With the banning of Thundurus imminent, I decided to start working on a new team and retire my old one: Genies in the Rain. I didn't want this team to just be a carbon copy of every other weather team out there, so I started looking at some RMTs for inspiration. I found the classic "2Drag1Mag" strategy to fit my offensive style, so I went with it. There was only one problem: Garchomp, a key dragon, had been banned. So I tried using the powerful Haxorus to replace him, and eventually added a third dragon, Dragonite, for even more power, with great success. So, without further ado, here is...

The Team

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone's main role is pretty simple: trap and kill steels. This allows my dragons to sweep with their stab dragon attacks with almost no resistance. Aside from trapping steels, Magnezone also serves as a defensive buffer to take dragon and ice type hits, which would otherwise cripple my dragons.*
The bazaar EVs and nature allow Magnezone to always out-speed SD Scizor (who could otherwise KO Mag with Superpower) while still giving Magnezone as much power as possible. The moveset on the other hand is fairly simple. Substitute allows Magnezone to get in an extra hit after the trapped steel type goes down, Thunderbolt gets stab, and HP Fire hits steels hard (especially if Jirachi's sun is up). I chose Flash Cannon over Charge Beam since Charge Beam made me set up bait once I switched in. Flash Cannon's ability to lower the opponent's SDef is helpful when dealling with specially defensive stuff like Jirachi. I chose Leftovers over Air Balloon as it allows me to out-stall Jirachi most of the time.*

Type Synergy
: Latios, Dragonite
: Haxorus, Latios, Dragonite

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

Yep, here's my (sort of) Garchomp replacement. Although Haxorus is somewhat lacking in the speed department, Haxorus has an incredible amount of raw power. Look at how much damage CB Haxorus's Outrage does to some of the best physical walls and steel types out there:

Gliscor: 64.69% - 76.27%
Hippowdon: 54.29% - 63.81%
Vaporeon: 75.16% - 88.77%
Excadrill: 73.76% - 87.02%
Scizor: 51.45% - 60.47%
Ferrothorn: 34.94% - 40.91%
Jirachi: 43.81% - 51.49%
Heatran: 52.01% - 61.30%

Yea, we're talking OHKOs/2HKOs on almost every Pokemon in the game. Now imagine that some of those pesky steel types (mainly Ferrothorn, Skarmony, and Jirachi) have been taken out by Magnezone.*Now we're almost OHKOing the rest of the opponent team! Unfortunatly, Haxorus lacks Garchomp's speed, so its forced to be used as a wallbreaker/stallbreaker. This is especially helpful for me since I HATE stall and usually rage quit when going up against it. Haxorus's wallbreaking abilities are also helpful for getting certain non-steel walls out of the way (like Chansey and Reuniclus) for my other dragons to have a clean sweep.

The EV and nature simply give Haxorus maximum power and speed. The moves are also fairly basic. Outrage for maximum power and Earthquake for non-levitating/non-Ferrothorn steels. Brick Break is there to threaten Ferrothorn somewhat. Dual Chop is an interesting move that lets me deal with annoying substitute users or even Dragonite's multiscale. (although Mamoswine is normally used for Dragonite) I chose Mold Breaker over Rivalry because the 25% damage reduction if the Pokemon is the opposite gender isn't optimal, especially since people are beginning to use female Pokemon. It also lessens the damage Haxorus does to Chansey and Blissey, whom I rely on Haxorus to take out. *

Type Synergy
: Magnezone, Jirachi

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Recover
- Psyshock

Latios is my second dragon, and serves to punch holes in the opponents team for Mamoswine and Dragonite to finish off. LO Latios hits very hard, especially when Magnezone has eliminated the opponents steel types and Latios can simply spam it's stab Dragon Pulse. Latios also helps when dealing with other dragons. With his blistering base 110 speed, Latios can out-speed all other non-boosted/scarved dragons (bar his sister, Latias) and kill them with a super effective Dragon Pulse.*

Latios's EVs and Nature are normal (maximum speed and power... again), but his moves are not. Dragon Pulse is used over Draco Meteor so I don't have to switch as often and rack up Stealth Rock damage along with LO damage and even Sandstorm damage. Hidden Power Fighting is used to hit steel types that Magnezone can't handle (like Excadrill and Heatran) for super effective damage, whereas HP Fire only hits for neutral or even no damage in Heatran's case. It also allows me to hit Dark types, particularly Tyranitar, hard. Recover allows me to heal off LO damage and occasionally Samdstorm damage. Physhock is a wonderful move that gives Latios a second stab move and hits those Blisseys and Chanseys who would like to switch in for good damage.*

Type Synergy
: Magnezone, Dragonite*
: Magnezone*
: Magnezone

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Its Mamoswine. Who doesn't love an adorable wooly mammoth who can tear dragon types to shreds? That's mostly why Mamoswine is here: killing dragon types. Choice Scarf Mamoswine is a very effective dragon killer, as he can outspeed all dragon types (provided they don't have any boosts or scarves) and kill them with Icicle Spear. Mamoswine is also useful for killing non-levitating steels, as Earthquake can do a large amount of damage. Mamoswine also serves as a weather-inducer killer, as he can OHKO TTar with Superpower and Ninetales with Earthquake. He can also deal about 65% to Specstoed with Earthquake. Mamoswine's final role is a late game sweeper. After the opponents team has been weakened and their choice scarf user has been taken out, Mamoswine is powerful enough to finish the job.*

Mamoswine's EVs and nature are for max speed and power. (have I said that before?) I chose Jolly over Adamant so Mamoswine could outrun stuff like Latios and Scarftran, who would otherwise cause trouble for my team. His moves are also standard. Earthquake and Stone Edge for neutral coverage and Superpower to hit Tyranitar. Icicle Spear was chosen over Icicle Crash since normally (with 3 hits) Icicle Spear has just 10 less BP, but it can break Subs, Sashes, and Dragonite's ever-popular Multiscale.*

Type Synergy*
: Magnezone, Jirachi*
: Magnezone, Haxorus, Latios, Dragonite, Jirachi

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Say hello to Dragonite, my third dragon. Dragonite is my bulky setup sweeper. She is very effective if I lead with her, as there are no field hazards to break her Multiscale. Speaking of Multiscale, Multiscale is an excellent ability, as it almost always guarantees a Dragon Dance. Should I decide to not lead with Dragonite (for instance if the opponent appears to be leading with Tyranitar), Dragonite also makes a great late game sweeper along with Mamoswine. If Dragonite can get a Dragon Dance off, she has plenty of power to finish off a weakened team.*

This is a pretty standard set. The EVs and nature allow her to out-speed Modest Scarftoed after one DD and Scarf Landorus after two and still maintain decent bulk and power. Dragon Dance is for setup. Dragon Claw is for STAB. Fire Punch hits steels that resist that STAB, and Roost allows Dragonite to heal. Not much else to say. I'm debating replacing Leftovers for a Lum Berry to help with crippling status.

Type Synergy

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs:*252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
IVs: 2 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

Trapping steels, taking Ice and Dragon hits for my dragons, and just being a defensive buffer in general is to much for one man (or Magnezone), so I gave Magnezone a partner in Bronzong. Although Bronzong can't trap steels, Bronzong is a pro at taking Ice and Dragon attacks for the team. He also has a handy ability to set up rocks to make the dragons' sweep easier. Also, Bronzong checks threats such as Excadrill and Landorus, who would otherwise rampage through this team. Thanks Delko for recommending this.*

Bronzong may be standard, but he is very effective. His EVs give him maximum bulk and decent attack power. Sassy boosts his bulk even farther while lowering his speed and powering up Gyro Ball. Stealth Rocks are one of the main reasons I have Bronzong, *as they can turn almost OHKOs into OHKOs. Gyro Ball is a strong move coming off of Bronzong's terrible speed. HP Ice is here to nail Landorus and hit dragons in an emergency. Earthquake kills Excadrill after I've broken his balloon with Gyro Ball.*

Type Synergy
: Haxorus, Latios, Dragonite​

I started with Latios. Since the 2Drag1Mag strategy used Latios (and with good reason), he was an obvious choice on this team.*

Next came Magnezone. Magnezone is a essential for a team that needs dragons to sweep, so again, he was an obvious choice.*

After Magnezone came Haxorus. I considered many options for replacing Garchomp (like Salamence, Dragonite, and even Flygon), but I decided to try and replicate the sheer brute power of Garchomp, so I went with Haxorus.*

I realized that Latios and Haxorus couldn't replicate the old 2Drag1Mag strategy's power on there own, so I gave them more power and some bulk with Dragonite.*

I realized my team needed more bulk to cope with the hard hitting metagame, so I thought, "Hey, why don't I put Latias in to go with Latios and match my theme of dragon types. "

Last came Ninetales. With all the weather this generation, I figured it would be a great idea to have my own weather to counter other weather.*

Ninetales*was the first to go because in all honesty... she stinks. I still wanted to have some way to counter weather, so I decided to put Sunny Day on a Pokemon who could take a lot of hits and support the team, like Chansey.*

With Chansey on the team, Latias had lost her place. Latias didn't work too well to begin with, as most of the hits I needed Latias to take were either dragon or ice. So I thought about a replacement, and realized a Choice Scarf Pokemon would be helpful. To keep with the spirit of the team, I put in Hydreigon.*

I finally decided that 4 Dragons were to many, so I gave up on the dragon theme and put in Mamoswine instead of Hydriegon. Never looked back.*

I realized Magnezone was having trouble taking hits for my dragons and trapping steels, so I decided to put in another steel type of my own. Jirachi was chosen because it could easily replace Chansey and assume all Chansey's roles except status healer.

The team was doing fine, but Landorus and Excadrill were destroying it. After he was recommended to me by Delko, I tried replacing Jirachi with Bronzong. Although I miss driving my opponents crazy with paraflinching, Bronzong solved my problem. He also gave my team something it had been wishing for: Stealth Rocks. Unfortunately, lost my ability to change the weather, but this team can handle weather teams even without its own weather.

Conclusion
All in all, I'm very happy with this team. This team has climbed the PO ladder with relative ease so far, and I can't wait to see how far it goes on Smogon. The team was created to replicate the power of the 2Drag1Mag strategy, and it has done this extremely well. It may have a stupid name, but it is an awesome team.*
(note: take out the random *'s. There's nothing I can do about them.)

Magnezone @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover
- Psyshock

- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

Questions and constructive criticism are appreciated!*

Threat List
Major threats are in red.*
Minor threats are in blue.*

Darmanitan -Darmanitan can be a bit of a threat since it can outspeed Mamoswine, but if my dragons are healthy they can handle it.

Rotom-H - Timid Scarf variations can be a threat if they have HP-Ice, as they can hit the entire team for super effective damage and out-speed Mamoswine's Stone Edge
Rotom-W - Scarf variations can be a nuisence as it can out-speed Haxorus and hit him with HP-Ice

No major threats! :D

Stupid Name, Awesome Team

Introduction

Welcome to my second RMT! With the banning of Thundurus imminent, I've decided to start working on a new team and retire my old one: Genies in the Rain. I didn't want this team to just be a carbon copy of every other weather team out there, so I started looking at some RMTs for inspiration. I found the classic "2Drag1Mag" strategy to fit my offensive style, so I went with it. There was only one problem: Garchomp, a key dragon, had been banned. So I tried using the powerful Haxorus to replace him, and eventually added a third dragon, Dragonite, for even more power, with great success. So, without further ado, here is...

The Team

Magnezone @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Flash Cannon

I like the idea of wrecking SD Scizor, however, scizor has dropped quite a bit in play recently (at least in the Smogon server), so the EV investment might not be worth it, HP (Ice) could benefit your team more, it gives Mag the BoltBeam combo, which, along with Flash Cannon will allow for near flawless neutral coverage, and can wreck Dugtrio, Landorus, Gliscor, and, if played smart, can net you a good amount of damage on the prevalent threat of Excadrill.

Type Synergy

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

I'd leave him as is, His set looks fine.

Gliscor: 64.69% - 76.27%
Hippowdon: 54.29% - 63.81%
Vaporeon: 75.16% - 88.77%
Excadrill: 73.76% - 87.02%
Scizor: 51.45% - 60.47%
Ferrothorn: 34.94% - 40.91%
Jirachi: 43.81% - 51.49%
Heatran: 52.01% - 61.30%
Be very careful, as Glisc outruns, and a smart player would SD up, then OHKO as you Outrage, or SD the Switch. Hippowdon usually caries Ice fang, however Hax outruns him, and would net the 2HKO. Vaporeon can be outran and 2HKOed, Exca shouldn't be a problem, if these stats are all for OutRage, if so, Brick Break would OHKO. Scizor doesn't carry ice moves, no problems here. Ferro could start Sub-Seeding, so watch out for that. Rachi is a problem, as if the set is running max speed on a neutral nature, it will outrun you. Heatran sometimes carries Dragon pulse or HP (ice), so be very careful, altough Hax outruns it.

Type Synergy

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Recover
- Psyshock

An Expert Belt set with BoltBeam could be more useful, as it offers great coverage, and Draco Meteor packs a wallop, however, if this works, keep it as is.

Type Synergy
: Magnezone, Dragonite*
: Magnezone*
: Magnezone
If Mag dies, you gain two holes, so be careful around ghosts.

- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

I'd suggest a Banded set with Icicle Shard, negating the loss of scarf with priority, and further increasing his strength.

Type Synergy*
: Magnezone, Jirachi*
: Magnezone, Haxorus, Latios, Dragonite, Jirachi
Good synergy

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost
Try a Mix set with Fire Blast, could work a bit better against Ferro and scizor.

Type Synergy
good

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)/ Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Sunny Day **
Interesting choice, however using Sunny day on this set could prove to detrimental, as you lose recovery with protect and wish, but if played after Tar/Toed/Don is dead, this will cripple a weather team with relative ease, just be careful, as Exca outspeed and OHKOs with Earthquake.
Type Synergy
: Haxorus, Latios, Dragonite​
seems fine here

Conclusion
All in all, I'm very happy with this team. This team has climbed the PO ladder with relative ease so far, and I can't wait to see how far it goes on Smogon. The team was created to replicate the power of the 2Drag1Mag strategy, and it has done this extremely well. It may have a stupid name, but it is an awesome team.*
Very good team, seems solid, hope to see this laddering on smogon soon.

Questions and constructive criticism are appreciated!*
comments in blod

Looks like a promising team with a very effective strategy. I would also agree that scraf should be replaced by band as a IIRC a band ice shard does more then a scarf icicle spear and you otspeed most steels without a scarf anyway especially with paralysis support from Jirachi. Also, Im not sure if thick fat is released but if it is.... use it. You dont run hail.....

Dragon dance Drago is amazing but run leftovers. After one boost status inducers cant outspeed you.

Magnezone: No, almost every team I've fought had a Scizor, and I don't want Magnezone to get OHKOd by Superpower. As for HP Ice, I don't think that would help, as that would allow things like Ferrothorn and Forretress would be able to lay more rocks and spikes.

Latios: I personally like Latios as she is, as her set allows her to deal with more common threats. As for Draco Meteor, I don't want to have to switch to often, as LO+Entry Hazards+Weather=Latios not lasting long.

Mamoswine: Thanks for the CB sugggestion. I'll try that.

Dragonite: Again, Mag deals with Ferro and Scizor.

Jirachi: There's a chance weather may be banned this round, so if it is then I will definatly use Protect.

Magnezone: No, almost every team I've fought had a Scizor, and I don't want Magnezone to get OHKOd by Superpower. As for HP Ice, I don't think that would help, as that would allow things like Ferrothorn and Forretress would be able to lay more rocks and spikes.

Latios: I personally like Latios as she is, as her set allows her to deal with more common threats. As for Draco Meteor, I don't want to have to switch to often, as LO+Entry Hazards+Weather=Latios not lasting long.

Mamoswine: Thanks for the CB sugggestion. I'll try that.

Dragonite: Again, Mag deals with Ferro and Scizor.

Jirachi: There's a chance weather may be banned this round, so if it is then I will definatly use Protect.
once again, the scizor thing was only applying to smogon OU on the server

Whatever you prefer for latios

NP

what about when Mag dies?

Sure

cool team you got dere. I really like it actually, it'd be much better if the Wifi Rule wasn't in effect, otherwise they couldn't tell if you got Maggy and Swine on your team. Anyways, have you tried Charge Beam on Magnezone? What'd happen is you Substitute on the first turn of switching into the Steel, and if they had something that could KO you (Superpower) you go for the HP Fire. If not you'd spam Charge Beam, and keep on setting up Substitutes.

I used to use Charge Beam over Flash Cannon, but it made him set up bate for other dragons once I switched him in on a dragon attack.

Hi

Drag + Mag is a simple yet effective strategy and your team is a good example of it, but I got a suggestion.

First of all, Exacadrill sweeps this team if Sandstorm is up, you also mention Landorus as a threat. Another thing I notice is the fact you lack Stealth Rocks, although they can give you some key KO's.
To fix both these problems I suggest Bronzong instead of Jirachi. Bronzong handles Excadrill and Landorus fine and it provides you with Stealth Rock. A moveset of HP Ice / Earthquake / Gyro Ball / Stealth Rock will fit your team perfectly.

EDIT: You could also try Charge Beam instead of Thunderbolt on Magnezone. When played right it should get you 2 KO's per match.

Cant believe I haven't read this team before! I really love the layout and dedication for calculations!( you must teach me to do that lol) but I do think jirachi might do better with protect over sunny day. Unless weather does not get banned' otherwise I think it's awesome to have your own weather move to break rain teams and sandstorm

Lol awww you faker jk. Still good of you to get the calculations for better presentation I think it helps in identifying the real strength of the better
pokes.

Very nice team, but I think Volcarona could hurt this team, so pay attention with your dragonite, which seems to be the only Volcarona's counter in this team (I don't think you'll find HP Ice Volcaronas because they usually have HP Ground to kill Heatrans). Also, I think jirachi is really a good choice here, since Dragon Offensive team are usually weak to dragon types and try to stop dragons with magnezone (lol) which hates specsdmeteors from latios. Scizor also takes a lot of damage, so nice choice ;)

Btw, excuse me for flooding, but I cannot find the thread about Thundurus ban/no ban, can anyone please link it for me or send the link via PM? Someone here talked about weather ban, can you link the thread please?

Very nice team, but I think Volcarona could hurt this team, so pay attention with your dragonite, which seems to be the only Volcarona's counter in this team (I don't think you'll find HP Ice Volcaronas because they usually have HP Ground to kill Heatrans). Also, I think jirachi is really a good choice here, since Dragon Offensive team are usually weak to dragon types and try to stop dragons with magnezone (lol) which hates specsdmeteors from latios. Scizor also takes a lot of damage, so nice choice ;)

Btw, excuse me for flooding, but I cannot find the thread about Thundurus ban/no ban, can anyone please link it for me or send the link via PM? Someone here talked about weather ban, can you link the thread please?
Don't run scarf on mamo, run band ice shard, it's soo good.
Also Volcarona's that I see run hurricane, and not HP Ground.

Actually, I think scarf Mamoswine may be better now that I'm using Bronzong. The reason I tried a CB was to have a way of dealing with Landorus, but now Zong can handle it. Also, scarf Mamo would be able to outspeed and kill Volcarona. Plus, CB Mamo does almost the same thing as Haxorus.

Hey there. This is a solid team, reminds me of PK Gaming / JabbaTheGriffin's Enter The Dragon team.

Anyway, on Latios, I think Calm Mind would be better than Recover, as it allows Latios to be a very effective special sweeper, especially after Magnezone kills Scizor and Ferrothorn. Because you have Hidden Power Fighting, Tyranitar will also be hit hard by a boosted hit, making Calm Mind that much better of an option. Jirachi is also a very common switch in that can be destroyed by Magnezone; Blissey is beaten by Psyshock.

That's all that I can see that you should change, besides maybe giving Haxorous Rivarly anyway. It still destroys Blissey, whom you have Psyshock on Latios for anyway, and it hits most Gliscor harder.

Minor Flaw

Because there is no such thing as a quote-unquote perfect team, every team has to have its flaws. The one flaw here is no weather. Granted this team really doesn't need it, if you use Mamo as your anchor (last Pokemon) you can stand a better chance with Hail instead of superpower. Hail will not damage you because you are ice type and snow cloak will raise your evasiveness. This is not illegal because you are indirectly raising it. Meaning you aren't using a move that only has an effect of raising evasiveness. This move is strictly weather and the ability just helps you out.

First off, nice team.

I'd recommend changing HP fighting on Latios to HP fire. Although this will cause you to lose speed ties against other Latioses, it could catch an incoming Ferrothorn or Scizor by surprise allowing you to KO.

I recommend using LO instead of Scarf on Mamo, he will appreciate the added power and Ice Shard will still hit those Dragons like a truck.

I don't recommend Sunny Day on Jirachi..not only does it power up Fire attacks directed towards him, it also puts sun teams in an advantageous position, increasing the strength of their attacking moves and activating the Chlorophyll ability for their sweepers. Instead of Sunny Day, you could try fitting Stealth Rock in there because your team seems to lack it. Team looks good otherwise, good luck with it!

With Magnezone around, I hardly doubt he cares as much as having to HPFire a Ferrothorn with a predicted Latios switch-counter.

I might make a somewhat unorthodox change. It might be better, and more surprising the the opponent to switch your Dragons roles. CBDragonite hits nearly as hard as CBHaxorous would've, although the lack of Mold Breaker is offset by the HIGHLY useful Extreme Speed. You might even need this due to the high Volcarona sweep potential. Having Multiscale almost insures that you get off a second Outrage without being auto revenge kill right away.

And for Haxorous, so many people expect CB, why not change it up for DD? Some people could try to just sacrifice to get you trapped in an Outrage, but if you DD on that switch, they're entirely screwed.

Hey there. This is a solid team, reminds me of PK Gaming / JabbaTheGriffin's Enter The Dragon team.
My own team is a rip off of that one. So much fun. Speaking of Enter The Dragon, you should try out the Life Orb Mamo since you already have Haxy choiced. More power than scarf and you can change attacks, since you have ice shard I don't see speed being an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)