RU Team

Hello everyone. This is my first RMT, and I'll admit to still being a bit green to the competitive battling scene. I lurked on Smogon for about a month before I finally joined, and after being here for a while I'm slowly starting to get the hang of things around here. My competitive battling skills has improved quite a bit over when I first started, but I could still use some help. And with this being my 15th post, I should finally be eligible for the next round of tutoring, whenever that may be.

Anyway, this is the RU team I've been using. And in all honestly, this is the first team I built that had any success for me. I have an OU team that's gotten some success and an Ubers team that's been working out well for me, but this team is what started the wins for me. Every other team I made before this one won me maybe one or two battles, but then fell apart. This one has had quite a bit of success, but has slowly started going the route of my other teams as of late before the Smogon servers went down. Any tips for helping me fix this team up would be greatly appreciated.

I would do a team-building process, but this team has honestly gone through so many changes since I first built it that I'm not sure it would really be worth it to try and list that all out. So let's just jump into my team, shall we?

Claydol (Voodoo)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm (+SpDEF, -ATK)
EVs: 252 HP, 4 DEF, 252 SpDEF
Moves:
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Toxic
Earth Power​

The first few incarnations of this team had so many problems with entry hazards, and I didn't have anything I felt I could replace for a spinner besides my own Stealth Rock user. When I redid this team for the final time, I looked for something that could both put up rocks and also spin them away if necessary, and Claydol fit both of those bills. Toxic is on there just to try and spread poison throughout the opponent's team, and Earth Power is there to give Claydol something to attack with so I can start doing at least some damage, though with no SpATK EVs it really doesn't do that much despite having STAB.​

Krookodile (Bandit) (M)
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Naive (+SPE, -SpDEF)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPE
Moves:
Earthquake
Crunch
Dragon Tail
Thunder Fang​

The physical sweeper of my team, and this guy does the job. Originally with this guy I had a Sash on him and tried to take advantage of the fact he'd survive at least one hit (since Krookodile is admittedly quite frail) to get off either a Bulk Up or a Hone Claws, whichever one I opted to run at the time, then start sweeping with Moxie making him stronger with each kill. Sadly, it didn't work out when I ran into Pokes that outsped Krookodile and made the stat raising useless in the end. So I decided to abuse Krookodile's deadly ATK and good SPE stats in a different way. I gave him a Scarf to make sure he outspeeds the majority of the RU tier and proceed to just destroy stuff, Moxie making him even more dangerous along the way. Earthquake and Crunch are obvious. Thunder Fang is, admittedly, worth changing. I put it on there as a way to take care of water and flying types, but Stone Edge is looking like the better option despite its accuracy. Dragon Tail is there to do damage and either start phazing with rocks up, or hitting something that's stat-boosting and getting it out of there to nullify the boosts.​

Mandibuzz (Bird of Prey) (F)
Ability: Big Pecks
Nature: Impish (+DEF, -SpATK)
EVs: 188 HP, 252 DEF, 68 SpDEF
Moves:
Brave Bird
Toxic
Roost
Protect​

My God, do I love Mandibuzz. She's proven to be quite a physically defensive tank and has even survived some special blows at times as well. Mandibuzz is incredibly hard for opponents to take down, and the Toxic/Roost/Protect combo doesn't help them out at all when I can badly poison them, protect myself, then heal off any damage. Brave Bird gives Mandibuzz something to attack with, and it has actually taken out some Pokes and done some good damage without any ATK EVs.​

Clefable (Ms. Fable) (F)
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Careful (+SpDEF, -SpATK)
EVs: 252 HP, 44 DEF, 212 SpDEF
Moves:
Wish
Protect
Seismic Toss
Heal Bell​

My special wall, and this thing does just as good a job as Mandibuzz most of the time in what it does. Wish/Protect/Seismic Toss are all pretty standard on Clefable from what I've seen of other RMTs. The reason for Heal Bell is because when I originally ran Thunder Wave on her, I found that my team easily fell apart in the face of status afflictions, and seeing my team lose just because of Toxic or paralysis got annoying real fast. So since I already have two Pokes spreading Toxic around, I decided to make Clefable into a cleric and run Heal Bell to get rid of the status issues before they got too bad.​

Tangela (Jungle Fever) (M)
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold (+DEF, -ATK)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SpATK
Moves:
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Knock Off
Giga Drain​

Yeah, I guess somewhere along the line Eviolite Tangela sounded like a great idea to add another wall to my team. Jungle Fever is an appropriate nickname just because of what this thing can do. Between Leech Seed, Giga Drain, and Regenerator this thing will hang around and continue to cause problems for opposing teams while being incredibly difficult to get rid of. Sleep Powder is kind of obvious but effective. Knock Off is there to get rid of items more than anything else, especially other Pokes that run Eviolite and walls carrying Leftovers so they become far easier to deal with.​

Alakazam (Psycho) (M)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Timid (+SPE, -ATK)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpATK, 252 SPE
Moves:
Calm Mind
Substitute
Psyshock
Focus Blast​

My special sweeper. I've seen that this is a common Alakazam set, but I'm not going to deny how effective it can be. Hide it behind a sub, get a Calm Mind up, then watch Life Orb Alakazam start destroying almost anything you put in front of it. Unfortunately, like my Krookodile this thing is frail despite all the power it packs. I'm not sure if Magic Guard for Alakazam is released yet, so I opted for Synchronize as its ability until I get confirmation. But Synchronize has actually saved me on a few occasions when my opponent tries to status me and don't see it coming, then once their Pokemon shares the status I switch to Clefable to remove it from Alakazam while stalling a bit, then in he comes to wreak more havoc.​

And that would be my team. I would really appreciate any help that could be given to make this team even better and also patch up any problem areas you see. I'll already admit that Yanmega and Quiver Dance Venomoth give this team problems from experience, but I've seen that those things give everyone problems if they aren't using it themselves.​

Your team has a whooping four weaknesses to both Ice and Bug with no resists in either case - Ice-type attackers may be rare outside of Hail teams, but a Yanmega, a Venomoth, a Durant, or a Galvantula could simply sweep through this team with little effort. I'd say that you should replace Tangela with Ferroseed - while Ferroseed dosen't learn Sleep Powder, it isn't weak to Ice or Bug and can also set up Leech Seed. Ferroseed can also set up Thunder Wave and Spikes - two things that Tangela can't do. I'd also suggest you'd replace Claydol with Blastoise - though it might get kicked upstairs to UU soon, I find that it fits with your team much better than Claydol does, given that it resists Ice and is netural to Bug. I hope these suggestions help your team.

-While I agree that the team is pretty Galvantula weak, Krookodile and Alakazam are able to beat it if its not a Scarf variant, so its not all bad.
-You only run a nature like Naive on a mixed set, and since your Krookodile is all physical, run Jolly.
-Run Overcoat > Big Pecks on Mandibuzz. Defense drops are incredibly rare outside of Crunch (but who the hell would use Crunch on a Mandibuzz is beyond me), while Hail isn't rare at all, and why take damage from hail when you don't have to?
-I agree, run Stone Edge > Thunder Fang on Krookodile. Also, Scarfed Dragon Tail? That just makes no sense. It makes anything faster than you, and it is very frail, so it only works if everything on the opponent's team can't do anything to you.

Intimidate doesn't drop Defense, it drops Attack. Run Outrage or Dragon Claw over Dragon Tail, and Stone Edge over Thunder Fang. Magic Guard Zam isn't released btw, but not many things outspeed Zam to begin with(I think Crobat does), so he can just Sub up on their status moves.

-Yea, idk why I put Intimidate. Still run Overcoat.
-Crobat is UU, but yes it does outspeed. Swellow, Aerodactyl, Electrode, and Ninjask are the only things that outspeed Alakazam in this tier (Dugtrio ties, Aerodactyl went RU this round). Magic Gaurd is for entry hazards anyway, saying as Alakazam is frail as can be. But he is right with it beign unreleased, just use Synchronise or Inner Focus until then (both work, and being able to kill Fake Out users is the reason I use Inner Focus, and it works fine)

I think the biggest problem is the lack of bug resist, huge bug weakness (x16, using the compounding method) and no priority. While Krookodile can outpace Specs Yanmega and Quiver Dance Venomoth to unleash a nasty bite (I would favor stone edge in that regard), Speed Boost Mixed Sharpedo and Speed Boost Yanmega tear apart your team once they get the speed ball going, with Sharpedo being especially bad. I like the stallish nature of the team, but that bug weakness is bad, bad news. The ice weakness is less bad, but it is a pretty big hole.

Krookodile with scarf and moxie... I don't know. You will get trapped in a single move, and if you can't kill a pokemon while in that locked move, you are screwed. 117 Base attack is high, but may not be high enough to start an overwhelming sweep if you get stuck with a bad attack.

As for rapid spinners...

Claydol is probably the best match for a rapid spinner that lays rocks. The only other viable alternative I can think of is Sandslash, unless you are willing to endure Torkoal. While Blastoise was mentioned by Some Person, you only get Rapid Spin support. That said, Blastoise can run a strong special defense or physical defense, along with rapid spin. If you are willing to split your rapid spin support and your stealth rock support, Blastoise can make a great fill in, but you will need to pick another pokemon on your team to fill in the role of rock/spike support.

Maybe Ferroseed?

Likewise, have you looked at toxic spike support?

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions. The Bug weakness became pretty noticeable after a closer look with most people who play RU now using either Yanmega (both sets) or Quiver Dance Venomoth, though I've never had trouble with Galvantula (see waterwarrior's comment on how I deal with it, and I have yet to face a Scarf variation) or Durant (as long as I don't let it get off a Hone Claws or attack after getting one up, my Scarf Krookodile has actually been able to outspeed and crush it). I've gone ahead and made the move changes on Krookodile and changed Big Pecks to Overcoat on Mandibuzz. And waterwarrior's right about Krookodile: once all flying types/Levitators are out of the picture late-game, Scarf Moxie Krookodile comes in and cleans up very nicely with EQ. I'll try out Blastoise and Ferroseed and see how splitting the Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin roles affects this team (assuming Smogon's server comes back up soon or I find a server to use my RU team against other RU Pokes, because I don't want to touch PO's meta with this team). Any suggestions for a good Stealth Rock Ferroseed set? I already figure Eviolite will be the item to help it get close to being as much of a pain as Ferrothorn, but that and it having Stealth Rock are about as far as I can get.

I've been using this team to get into RU (I was looking through the RMT section, and I thought this one was a good one to start with), and so far, I've had 2 wins and 0 losses, and some wins in unrated battles. The defensive core of Mandibuzz, Clefable and Tangela works really well, despite the bug/ice weak. Also, I don't really think Yanmega is THAT big of a threat to this team. Clefable only takes 49% or so from SpecsLens Bug Buzz, meaning it can wishprotect stall. However, one thing I just faced, Articuno, seems pretty troublesome. It can't do much to clefable, but clefable can't do much back. Unless you manage to get Krookodile in freely, it's quite a pain. Also, would you care to explain the EV's on Clefable and Mandibuzz?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)