Braviary (Analysis)

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Braviary

[Overview]

<p>Braviary packs an excellent base Attack stat of 123, as well as a great base HP stat of 100. However, he is held back by his mediocre base Speed stat of 80, and his defensive stats of 75 aren't ideal either. Braviary's movepool is rather lacking as well, and not having access to Roost hurts, especially when he is weak to Stealth Rock. But with Choice Scarf, Choice Band, or Bulk Up to boost his stats, Braviary can become a huge offensive threat if played right.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Rock Slide / Return
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Sheer Force / Keen Eye
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Braviary's best set; with Choice Scarf he outspeeds the majority of Pokemon in the tier, provided they don't carry a Choice Scarf themselves. This makes Braviary a great revenge killer. Brave Bird is a reliable STAB move that hits hard and is Braviary's main attacking option. Superpower complements Brave Bird, as it covers Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist Brave Bird. Rock Slide hits Zapdos, which resists Braviary's other moves, hard, and hits Fire-types without causing Braviary to take recoil damage. It also hits Rotom-H harder than Brave Bird and Superpower. Return is a reliable secondary STAB, hitting harder than a neutral Rock Slide. U-turn is mostly used for scouting. This set handles Celebi, as well as Shaymin and Roserade to an extent, taking little damage from their attacks thanks to Braviary's natural bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice of ability depends solely on if you're going to use Rock Slide or Return. If you opt to use Rock Slide, then use Sheer Force to boost Rock Slide's power, and if you opt to use Return, use Keen Eye, as Sheer Force serves no purpose with Return. The choice of nature depends on if you want Braviary to hit as hard as possible or outspeed as many Pokemon as possible. Adamant is the preferred nature, but with a Jolly nature you outspeed Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Adamant Heracross. Rapid Spin support is needed, as Braviary is weak to Stealth Rock, and he will be switching around a lot. Donphan makes an excellent partner, as it resists the Rock- and Electric-type moves that Braviary is weak to. However, both of them are weak to Ice-type moves, so Hitmontop could be used instead, as it resists Rock-type moves as well.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Rock Slide / Return
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rather than playing the revenge killing role of the Choice Scarf set, Braviary now takes on the role of a wallbreaker. With Choice Band, Braviary will now be able to outspeed and 2HKO the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, including Donphan, Milotic, and Slowbro. Brave Bird is Braviary's most powerful move, and he hits hard with it. Superpower covers Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist Brave Bird. Rock Slide is used to hit Zapdos and Rotom-H for super effective damage, as well as other Fire-types harder than Brave Bird without causing recoil damage. Return is a great secondary STAB, hitting Pokemon that take neutral damage from Rock Slide harder. U-turn is used for scouting, if needed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As with the Choice Scarf set, the ability depends on your preference (taking out repetition of choice/choose) between Rock Slide and Return. If you opt to use Rock Slide, go with Sheer Force, as Rock Slide receives a power boost. If you opt to use Return, go with with Keen Eye, as Sheer Force serves no purpose otherwise. The choice of nature is a decision between power and Speed. Adamant is the preferred nature, as it lets Braviary hit as hard as possible, scoring the KOs he needs. Jolly lets him outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, but the only notable example is Adamant Heracross. Rapid Spin support is almost a must, as Braviary is weak to Stealth Rock. Donphan resists the Rock- and Electric-type moves that Braviary is weak to, but they share a weakness to Ice-type moves. If you don't want that, Hitmontop is also a good choice, as he resists Rock-type moves as well.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Superpower / Return
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Keen Eye
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes on a more defensive role, but is still able to deal some massive damage after a couple of boosts from Bulk Up. Brave Bird is a reliable STAB move, and it hits hard after some boosts. Superpower takes care of Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, which resist Brave Bird, and Bulk Up nicely cancels out the stat drops. Return is a reliable secondary STAB move and hits Pokemon such as Zapdos harder than Brave Bird and Superpower do. With 252 HP EVs, Braviary hits a max HP of 404, and is able to make 101 HP Substitutes, leaving Chansey unable to break them. Substitute also keeps Braviary safe from status.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Rock Slide can be used in the third or fourth slot to hit Zapdos and Rotom-H harder. If you opt to use Rock Slide, use Sheer Force instead of Keen Eye for the power boost. Toxic can also be used as an easier way of dealing with Rhyperior, as even Superpower doesn't do very much to it. The listed EVs give Braviary maximum HP and some special bulk as well. A Careful nature is used with the listed EVs to give Braviary the most efficient bulk before boosting. However, if you want, you can put 252 EVs into Special Defense for the greatest special bulk. You can also put 56 EVs from Special Defense into Speed to outspeed minimum Speed Rotom-A. A faster version works as well, with a Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed everything up to positive-base 80 Speed Pokemon.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin support is needed to get rid of Stealth Rock, to which Braviary is weak. Donphan makes a great partner, as it resists Rock- and Electric-type moves, but is, like Braviary, weak to Ice-type moves. For this reason, Hitmontop can be used instead, as it also resists Rock-type moves but is not weak to Ice-type ones. Entry hazard support can help Braviary score some extra KOs. Roserade is a good partner, as it resists the Electric-type moves that Braviary is weak to, and can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Empoleon is also a great partner, as it resists Ice-type moves, and can set up Stealth Rock. Chansey make an excellent partner, as she provides great support with Wish, restoring huge amounts of Braviary's health. She also has access to Aromatherapy, curing Braviary from status. Offensively, Rhyperior helps Braviary as it can take care of Electric-type Pokemon, especially Zapdos, with ease. Furthermore, if Braviary doesn't carry Superpower to take care of Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, Rhyperior can take care of them as well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Braviary doesn't have much else that he can make use of. Crush Claw gets boosted by Sheer Force, but is weaker than Return even with the boost. Thus, Crush Claw can be used with Keen Eye to take advantage of its 50% chance of lowering the opponent's Defense. It can also work with Life Orb. Shadow Claw hits Rotom harder than Braviary's other moves, but it doesn't serve any other purpose. Sky Drop can work well in combination with Toxic, but Brave Bird is generally a better choice of a Flying-type move. Whirlwind can also be used on the Bulk Up set to force switches. However, Braviary needs the other moves more than Whirlwind and other Pokemon do a better job phazing. Tailwind boost the Speed of Braviary and his teammates for four turns. While this can be useful, Choice Scarf is generally a better choice since it is more reliable.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Physically defensive Zapdos resists both Brave Bird and Superpower and takes little damage from Return, and it can hit Braviary hard with its Electric-type moves. However, Zapdos needs to be careful of Rock Slide. Choice Scarf Nidoking is faster than Braviary and can easily take him down with Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. Rhyperior doesn't take much damage from Superpower and can KO Braviary with Stone Edge. Fast and hard-hitting Electric-type Pokemon such as Jolteon and Raikou can easily KO Braviary with their powerful STAB moves.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Braviary gets Defiant as his Dream World ability. Defiant raises Braviary's Attack stat with two stages when its stats gets lowered. It will be Braviary's best ability when it's released, as Keen Eye and Sheer Force serves little to no purpose for him.</p>

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The EVs needs to be altered to a better spread, at least on the second set. I've used that spread though, and it helps taking Special attacks, but it might needs to outspeed something.

Suggestions are welcomed.

I just need to add that both sets are tested, with the listed EVs.

The Bulk Up set once swept four Pokémon before it got KOed.

I have been using the Bulk Up set for the past few days. My set is :

Braviary @ Leftovers

EV : 252 HP - 244 SDef - 12 Spe
Nature : Careful
Moves :

Substitute
Bulk Up
Return
Aerial Ace / Brave Bird

The EV spread maximizes special bulk, and leftovers EV are used to outrun Milotic. The Careful nature allows your Sub to withstand a Psychic from Slowbro (and Scalds obviously), and with that spread Cresselia has more or less 50% chance of breaking the Sub with Ice Beam, instead of 100% with your current spread.

Return should be your main STAB, not Brave Bird. A recoil move is kinda bad for a bulky set that lacks recovery outside of leftovers and needs multiple turns to setup. Yes, Brave Bird is powerful, but that set doesn't need immediate power, it needs to Bulk Up before it can hurt things.

With Return as your main move, Superpower needs to go (Ghosts), and I don't think you'll miss it. Bulky Rocks like Rhyperior still beat you when you have the move, while bulky Steels like Registeel still lose to you when you don't have the move. Superpower does beat Aggron, not realy a common threat.

The last move is only used to break Substitute from Ghosts and Aerial Ace does the job, the perfect accuracy helps against Frostlass and the lack of recoil is enjoyable. Very bulky Ghost like Cofagrigus and Dusclops don't take much from Aerial Ace, but they are setup fodder anyway.

I think you should test a Choice Band set, while the speed is average, not much can switch into it, can be good to break walls.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Yeah right, of course you win over Registeel with Return and Aerial Ace.

What are those 12 Speed EVs for?

Yeah right, of course you win over Registeel with Return and Aerial Ace.

What are those 12 Speed EVs for?
Registeel is setup fodder and is 2HKOd by +6 Return. If it's a Curse set you need a crit, but since you have a Sub he can't break to protect from crits, the odds are against him.

The 12 Speed EV help outrunning uninvested Milotic, if you feel like it's speed creep, put them in Def or Atk, it doesn't realy matter.

I don't see the purpose of Shadow claw. STAB Brave Bird has a base power of 180 while a super effective non-STAB Shadow Claw has a base power of 140. Unless you have a severe fear of normal Rotom, its not worth using on the set and your better off with Rock Slide.

Personally I don't like the Choice Scarf set, It basically plays like a worse Staraptor with (marginally) better attack and bulk but worse speed. Not saying it's a worthless set, its just outclassed. Instead I think a Choice Band set with an adamant nature would be better, as it makes a pretty good stall breaker with all that raw power.

Also I don't see the purpose of Shadow claw. STAB Brave Bird has a base power of 180 while a super effective non-STAB Shadow Claw has a base power of 140. Unless you have a severe fear of normal Rotom, its not worth using on the set and your better off with Rock Slide.
Staraptor is banned so why are you comparing them?
I personally think Choice Scarf is its best set.
Rock Slide isn't much better than Shadow Claw either. Return has 3 more base power than a super effective Rock Slide.
EDIT: Wow I'm dumb, forgot about Sheer Force.

Staraptor is banned so why are you comparing them?
I personally think Choice Scarf is its best set.
Rock Slide isn't much better than Shadow Claw either. Return has 3 more base power than a super effective Rock Slide.
If you use Sheer Force like suggested, Rock Slide becomes stronger.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Well, I've done some calcs, and Shadow Claw isn't a good choice at all. The only thing it hits is Rotom.

I'll put Rock Slide besides Return to hit Zapdos and Fire-types, namely Rotom-H harder than Return.

Jolly max Atk Braviary

Return vs. 252/252+ Zapdos 33,9% - 39,8%
Rock Slide vs. 252/252+ Zapdos 43,5% - 50,5% (Sheer Force included) (A 2HKO with Stealth Rock)

Now the only thing remaining is the issue of what EV spread would be the best.

Is the Bulk Up set really that effective? I'm doubtful about it since the guy's so slow. When would you find the time to use Substitute alongside Bulk Up, while preserving your health without the use of Roost? Plus, while using Substitute, you're just going to destroy yourself with Brave Bird, and Superpower is really dicey when it just erases your boosts. Then you factor Stealth Rocks to make it even worse. I think it shouldn't be up there.

Also, the Choice Band set is obvious. Don't know if it's good enough for its own section though.

Man, was Game Freak thinking when they gave some of these guys Sheer Force?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Well, all I can say is that it work for me and I almost swept a whole team. Uxie helped with screen support and Stealth Rock and Roserade had set up Toxic Spikes.

Choice Band sounds kinda meh to me, as it is slow like you said. 284 Speed isn't that good though, but I might try it out.

Well, I don't remove a set if you're not on the QC team, that's my policy, so it's gonna stay. It's up to them.

breh

強いだね
in OO, mention CB?

in AC of BU, mention 44 Spe for outspeeding min suicune (or 52 for rotom)?

make a bigger mention of toxic to get rid of rhyperior?

otherwise, I have no big complaints.

In my experience one of the best things about the Scarf set is how well it deals with Celebi (and Shaymin and Roserade to a lesser extent). It's the primary situation where the bulk really matters (on Scarf, at least) since it can tank LO Giga Drain (~27-30%) and Seed Flare(~40-45%) pretty well and then outspeed. Even predicted attacks won't completely ruin you. It probably deserves a mention in the analysis (in fewer words probably : D)

80 base speed isn't bad by any means. I want to see a cb braviary. It has insane damage output and is a really good wall breaker in UU.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Never said bad, I said not that good. Look at Azelf, or Mew even. 110 and 100 Speed right there. 80 is kinda average.

We'll have to see if QC wants one, and if they do, I'll make it happen.

You specifically called it mediocre. But outside of that, yeah. Qc will let us know. I just know I've had the most success with cb braviary.

A Choice Band set is very viable on this thing. Especially with Staraptor gone, this guy is the only Flying-type that can come to comparison being able to U-turn (except Crobat, who lacks as much power as Braviary and lacks Superpower). That is what makes Braviary unique. Sure it lacks a bit of power to outspeed some common threats like Timid Nidoking, Mismagius, Timid Celebi, Zapdos, Flygon, Timid Roserade, etc, but it has enough speed and power to wreck bulky threats with Brave Bird and Superpower. 2HKO'ing Donphan, Milotic, Blastoise, Slowbro, Deoxys-D, etc with Brave Bird. And OHKO'ing Empoleon, Snorlax, Clefable, Miltank, Omastar, etc with Superpower. While easily 2HKO'ing Registeel and Rhyperior with Superpower. Unlike the Choice Scarf sets that are quite easily walled by most of these bulky Pokemon, the Choice Band set helps destroy them. Thus, a Choice Band set is very viable here. Here's a Choice Band set:

name: Choice Band
move 2: Rock Slide / Return
move 3: Superpower
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly / Adamant

I would also like to assert the difference between using Return over Rock Slide or vice versa:

Rock Slide + Sheer Force = 75 x 1.3 = 97.5 Base Power
Return + STAB = 102 x 1.5 = 153 Base Power

A super effective (x2) Rock Slide is about 27.5% stronger than a Return attack. Now where does Return come into play when Braviary already has Brave Bird and Superpower?
- Rotom and its forms
- When Braviary can't afford to weaken itself from Brave Bird, which is a very viable reason to go with Return over Rock Slide.

What about Rock Slide?
- Hits Arcanine a little harder and takes no recoil (unlike Brave Bird)
- Hits Zapdos 27.5% harder than Return
- Hits Togekiss a little harder and takes no recoil (unlike Brave Bird)
- Hits Sigilyph a little harder and takes no recoil (unlike Brave Bird)
- Is able to KO many threats like: Victini, Venomonth, Yanmega, Charizard, Moltres, Xatu, etc, without having to take recoil damage from Brave Bird.

So, as you can see both have their benefits but Rock Slide comes out at the top benefiting the most without haven't to take recoil damage from Brave Bird.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Why would Keen Eye even be suggested as a useful ability in competitive battling? Sheer Force is so much better.
Look at the sets.

Good.
Now, say how many moves use that ability?
One.
Rock Slide. That's why it's slashed on the Choice Scarf set and not listed on the Bulk Up set.

Pleeeeeeeeease, think before you post.

@Eternal

Fine. I'll put it up there.

And you could've just said: "Switch Return and Rock Slide". No reason saying something I already know.

Crush Claw get a boost from Sheer Force, but is slightly weaker than Return.

If it's weaker, no reason to even include it.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Crush Claw get a boost from Sheer Force, but is slightly weaker than Return.

If it's weaker, no reason to even include it.
Trading 5 BP for a 50% chance to lower Defense is a pretty good deal. It's worth mentioning with Sheer Force.

EDIT: haha that was dumb of me. ignore this post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)