Quagsire {GP 2/2}

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quagsire

[Overview]

<p>Quagsire returns for another round of competitive battling, this time with even more herpin' and derpin' thanks to Unaware. This ability allows the mudfish to ignore the opponent's stat boosts, both positive and negative. UU is a bit more tempered than OU, so Quagsire finds its niche in countering pretty much every offensive Pokemon in the tier, barring Grass-types or a critical hit. Water / Ground typing and decent defenses also let it stop most Electric-types, as they typically use Hidden Power Ice as a coverage move and don't have access to a Grass-type move. Access to instant healing in Recover is like adding powdered coffee to the curry, giving Quagsire reliability and survivability. Unfortunately, as with many walls, it is crippled by Toxic and Toxic Spikes, and cannot do much to mitigate that. Furthermore, Quagsire will still fall to powerful moves or Grass-type attacks such as Hydro Pump from Sharpedo or Hidden Power Grass from Milotic and must therefore be played with relative caution. Nonetheless, this mudfish truly shines on teams troubled by setup sweepers.</p>

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Recover
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Waterfall / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Quagsire makes an excellent user of Curse due to its ability, Unaware. This allows it to set up on many of the boosting sweepers in UU, such as Weavile, Spiritomb, Mew, and various Calm Mind users. Curse makes Quagsire even harder to take down by boosting its uninvested Defense, and increases its usable base 85 Attack to threatening levels. The Speed drops are inconsequential, since it is extremely slow anyway. Recover distinguishes it from other Curse users such as Snorlax, by allowing Quagsire to restore HP reliably. Earthquake is Quagsire's main STAB move, providing a reliable form of offense. It also hits Electric-types super effectively, which is great since most are walled handedly by Quagsire. The last slot is a toss-up between Stone Edge and Waterfall. If you desire the excellent neutral coverage that EdgeQuake provides, Stone Edge is the better choice, as it hits Levitating Pokemon, such as Rotom-F, and Flying-types, such as Zapdos, that Earthquake would otherwise miss, providing the best overall coverage. However, Waterfall is still a valid choice. A reliable second STAB move, it hits the many Ground-types, such as Rhyperior and Donphan, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Toxic Spikes are a huge issue for Quagsire, so partners such as Roserade are great to remove them. It can also lay down its own Toxic Spikes, which complements this Curse set's survivability, and Roserade 4x resists Quagsire's dreaded Grass-type weakness. Roserade even takes down opposing Quagsire, which is not particularly troubled by this set, and can threaten a burn with Scald or poison with Toxic. Since Quagsire is neutered by status, clerics such as Chansey and Shaymin are good teammates. They can also help sponge powerful special attacks from the likes of Mismagius and Nidoking, which can take down Quagsire. Opposing Grass-types are a huge issue as well, threatening Quagsire with their super effective attacks, so Fire-types such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Victini pair well with Quagsire to eliminate them and switch in on resisted attacks.</p>

<p>The EV spread maximizes bulk, with full investment in HP and Special Defense to make Quagsire a great mixed wall after a few turns of setup. A more offensive EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD is possible, but this is not recommended for a few reasons. First of all, Quagsire's Attack, even invested, is too low for the investment to be justified. Secondly, it severely detracts from Quagsire's special bulk, which is almost a necessity for Quagsire to stick around.</p>

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Recover
move 2: Scald
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Earthquake
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Quagsire is a great answer to most non-Choice Band physical attackers thanks to Unaware. Recover helps it in this role, allowing it to heal off the damage from attacks that fail to OHKO or 2HKO, such as Weavile's Ice Punch. Scald spreads burns, crippling most physical attackers. However, it should not be used in an offensive manner, as coming off a base 65 Special Attack means it will be very weak. While Toxic may seem counterproductive with Scald, it certainly earns its keep in the third slot. It is useful when predicting defensive switch-ins such as Deoxys-D that might want to use Quagsire as set up fodder. Earthquake is the best option for the last slot; it is a reliable STAB move and hits Electric-type Pokemon such as Electivire that generally cannot do anything to Quagsire.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Quagsire is using both special and physical attacks, a Relaxed nature with the given EVs is best to maximize physical bulk; the fact that it lowers Speed hardly matters, as Quagsire is very slow to begin with. Alternatively, you can use a specially defensive set to counter most special attackers (without a Grass-type move, of course), especially Electric-types such as Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou. This choice wholly depends on your team. Stockpile over Earthquake is viable, but this leaves Quagsire nearly hopeless against Taunt, and strong moves will still KO. Yawn can be used as a phazing move over Toxic, but is a lesser option because of Sleep Clause. Swagger is a decent choice over Earthquake if Quagsire uses Toxic, as it will be able to stall out the opponent with confusion and steady damage from Toxic while ignoring the Attack boosts with Unaware. However, it is rather unreliable and easily PP stalled.</p>

<p>Entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field are rather useful for Quagsire, as Unaware will force the opponent to switch when Quagsire cannot be taken down. Roserade is once again a great teammate, setting up entry hazards and tanking Grass-type moves. Chansey and Mew, while they don't resists Grass-type moves, are very bulky and can set up Stealth Rock. Zapdos provides nice support to Quagsire by both taking Grass-type moves and frying opponents with Heat Wave. Your own Water-types will like the opponent's Electric-types removed; Swords Dance Samurott and Feraligatr will put pressure on the opponent when fast, threatening Electric-types are gone.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Quagsire is not at all short of other moves it can use. Counter, while rather gimmicky, allows Quagsire to KO opponents that cannot OHKO it. However, this approach means the mudfish will be taking hits, and with its low Speed, it will not have time to Recover the damage off in preparation for the next foe. Safeguard is an option to protect teammates from status, but is mostly a waste of a moveslot since Quagsire usually has better things to do. A RestTalk set is certainly viable on Quagsire, but Pokemon with better defenses such as Suicune are better at this role. Encore might provide teammates a free turn of set up, but it is sadly ineffective on Quagsire due to its low Speed; it cannot even outspeed Chansey; and Shadow Tag Wynaut is a better Encore user anyway. Water Absorb is another ability Quagsire can explore, but comes with movepool restrictions; most notable is Ice Punch, which is useful to hit Dragon- and Flying-types. Acid Spray also becomes useful; with Unaware, the Special Defense drops would be ignored. However, Quagsire's low base 65 Special Attack makes this strategy gimmicky and largely ineffective.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are the number one counters to Quagsire, resisting its dual STAB and retaliating with 4x super effective attacks. Roserade is an excellent example, as it can set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes as Quagsire flees. Deoxys-D is similar in that it walls Quagsire's attacks but must watch out for Toxic. However, it has the option of Taunting Quagsire and rendering it relatively useless. RestTalkers such as Milotic check Quagsire pretty well too, as they aren't crippled by Toxic and can phaze Quagsire out. Various offensive threats will beat Quagsire as well: strong STAB moves such as Earthquake from Rhyperior, Outrage from Dragon-types, or Hydro Pump from Sharpedo will still be able to KO. Thus, players must be wary of indiscriminately switching Quagsire into any attack; this mudfish is not invincible.</p>

maybe mention subpunch set in OO? sub / focuspunch / recover / watterfall could work. sub blocks status wichs quagie hates.

Just because something has Focus Punch does not mean it should use Focus Punch. Gengar has it. Do you want to mention SubPunch Gar in its OO? No. Quagsire should not ever use Focus Punch.

I DO want to see Haze mentioned, though. Unaware Hazesire is a hard stop to set up sweepers in all forms. Except, well, when they have Grass-type attacks, but still.

Just because something has Focus Punch does not mean it should use Focus Punch. Gengar has it. Do you want to mention SubPunch Gar in its OO? No. Quagsire should not ever use Focus Punch.

I DO want to see Haze mentioned, though. Unaware Hazesire is a hard stop to set up sweepers in all forms. Except, well, when they have Grass-type attacks, but still.

Haze on Unaware Quagsire seems redundant to me. If you Haze and then switch to a counter, the opponent will just set right back up. Quagsire himself benefits nothing at all from the move. It seems time consuming and pointless, and there are better users of Haze or similar moves.

Should the flinch chance of Waterfall really be mentioned on the Curse set? With Curse slowing you down, youre most likely never going to be faster then the enemy to Flinch them.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Should the flinch chance of Waterfall really be mentioned on the Curse set? With Curse slowing you down, youre most likely never going to be faster then the enemy to Flinch them.
Lol good point I dumb <,<

@blarajan: I'll probably mention Haze in OO then; Unaware Haze is rarely useful IME because stuff trying to set up just switches away from quaggy

Also, SubPunch *is* possible, I don't deny that, but I don't think it's worth a mention because tons of other stuff does it better

These sets look pretty good, I really like quagsire. The only suggestion I would make would be to slash Swagger in over Yawn instead of stockpile. I really find stockpile as the crux of the set, being rather irreplaceable. Good work though :)

I personally don't like the defensive set. First off don't even suggest Stock Pile, as the defensive boosts are hard to utilize in a metagame involving a fair amount of phazing and taunting. Encore would be much better since it can help Quagsire fight against some of its checks.

Also I don't like Scald on this set since it does absolutely nothing to anything, and burns aren't as important to Quagsire since it completely ignores any attack boosts thanks to Unaware anyway.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

This is humorous because SubPunch Gengar has actually been a key set in past generations. xD

But I agree, quagsire has no reason to use SubPunch. (use STAB EQ instead...)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
I think Scald is useful, as it provides burn support for its entire team and softens physical attacker that Quag can't take down itself so your teammates can switch in easier.

Also yeah, Stockpile wasn't very fun after a while since things still power through it and Taunt forces it out, etc. I replaced it with EQ, which I *just* realized is useful for hitting Electric-types w/o Grass moves (<,<). The issue with Encore is Quag's speed, which isn't fast enough to do anything to common walls like Chansey, etc. I'll come back to this after some more looks.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scald warrants at least a mention, even with Quagsire's SpA. I've used (and seen others used) Scald Qwilfish, so it's fine on Quag.

Rename the second set "PHYSICALLY defensive", change the nature to relaxed, and move swagger to AC because it doesn't work in practice.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Rename the second set "specially defensive", change the nature to relaxed, and move swagger to AC because it doesn't work in practice.

QC APPROVED 2/3
I think this user missed something.

EDIT LOLZ: Snunch is still an idiot, QC Approved (3/3)

You may have to add a water absorb set once Gastrodon goes OU.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
wait, is it physically or specially???? did you make one of the quick edits that doesn't show "last edited by?"

removed Swagger as a slash.

edit: ok Physically is the only one that makes sense so I put that.
then I shall write this soon
cool to water absorb when / if it happens

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
whew....this is written and ready for GP. I probably missed a few points here in there since I did this choppily, so point those out and stuff. I'll also probably go over this an proofread it over the next few days bit by bit, so waiting may bring fruit or something.

Quag' is a good staller, I use specially defensive, but against heavy physical/special sweepers, he can't stall them in OU (CB Scizor, CSpecs Latios...), and some staller/little sweeper can OHKO/hurts hardly/afraid it with GKnot/Energy ball

Your first sentence in [Set Comments] of the first set says that Quagsire is a great user of "Taunt", but I'm pretty sure you mean "Curse"!

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

<p>Quagsire returns for another round of competitive battling, this time herpin' and derpin' more because of Unware. This ability allows the odd fish thing mudfish to ignore the opponent's stat boosts, both positive and negative. The UU tier is a bit more tempered than OU, so Quagsire finds its niche in countering nigh all the pretty much every offensive Pokemon in the tier, barring critical hits and Grass-types and a critical hit. Water / Ground typing and decent defenses also let it stop most Electric-types, as they typically use Hidden Power Ice as a coverage move and don't have access to a Grass-type move. Access to instant recovery in Recover is like adding powdered coffee to the curry, giving Quagsire reliablity and survivability. Unfortunately, as with many walls, it is crippled by Toxic and Toxic Spikes and cannot do much to mitigate that. Furthermore, it Quagsire will still fall to powerful or Grass-type attacks such as a Hydro Pump from Sharpedo or a Hidden Power Grass from Milotic. Thus, Quagsire must be played with relative caution and functions best on teams troubled by setup sweepers.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Quagsire makes an excellent user of Curse due to its ability, Unaware. This allows it to set up on many of the boosting sweepers in UU, such as Weavile, Spiritomb, Mew, and various Calm Mind users. Curse will make it hard to take down, boosting Quagsire's uninvested Defense, and increase its offensive capability Curse boosts Quagsire's uninvested Defense, making it all the more harder to take down, and makes it a more potent offensive threat. The Speed drops are inconsequential, since it is extremely slow anyway. Recover is what distinguishes it from other Curse users such as Snorlax, allowing this fish Quagsire to restore HP reliably and making it all the harder to take down. Earthquake makes its appearance as the first attacking move, providing a powerful is Quagsire's main STAB move, providing a reliable form of offense. It is also great since it also hits Electric-types super effectively, which is great since most of which Electric-types are walled handily by Quagsire. The last slot is a toss-up between Stone Edge and Waterfall. If you desire the excellent neutral coverage which the EdgeQuake combo provides, Stone Edge is the better choice, as it a combo with cool name, the former is the best option. It also hits Levitate Pokemon users such as Rotom-F and Flying-types such as Zapdos that Earthquake would otherwise miss, providing the best overall coverage. However, Waterfall is still a valid choice, providing a reliable second STAB move. It hits the many common Ground-types in the tier such as Rhyperior and Donphan for super effective damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Toxic Spikes are a huge issue for Quagsire, so partners such as Roserade are great to remove them. It can also provide lay down its own Toxic Spikes, which goes well with this Curse set's survivability, and 4x resists Quagsire's dreaded Grass-type weakness. Roserade even takes down Gastrodon and opposing Quagsire, both of which are not particularly troubled by this set and can threaten a burn with Scald or poison with Toxic. Since Quagsire is neutered by status, clerics such as Chansey and Celebi are good partners teammates. They can also help sponge the powerful special attacks, which will be able to can take down Quagsire. Opposing Grass-types are a huge issue as well, threatening Quagsire with their 4x super effective attacks, so Fire-types such as Arcanine and Victini pair well with Quagsire to eliminate them and switch in on resisted attacks.</p>

<p>The EVs are designed to EV spread maximizes Quagsire's bulk, with maximum investment in HP and Special Defense invested heavily to making Quagsire a great mixed wall after a few curses turns of setup. A more offensive EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD is possible, but this is not recommended for a few reasons. First of all, Quagsire's Attack, even with investment, is rather low; too low for the Attack investment to be justified. Secondly, it severely detracts from Quagsire's special bulk, which is almost required a necessity for Quagsire to be a staying force stick around for long.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Quagsire is a great answer to most non-Choice Band physical attackers due thanks to Unaware. Recover only adds to this role helps it pull off this role, allowing it to heal off the damage from attacks that are unable to OHKO or 2HKO, such as Weavile's Ice Punch. Scald only helps Quagsire neuter physical attackers, as burning such an attacker will leave it crippled spreads burns, crippling most physical attackers. However, it should not be used in as an offensive manner option, as coming off a base 65 Special Attacks means it will be very weak since Quagsire's base 65 Special Attack is nothing to write home about. While Toxic may seem counterproductive with Scald, it has good reason to find itself in the third slot, as it allows Quagsire to cripple walls switching in to use it as setup fodder, It is useful when predicting a wall switch-in that might want to use Quagsire as set up fodder, such as Deoxys-D. Earthquake is the best option for the last slot; it is a reliable STAB move and hits Electric-type Pokemon such as Electivire that generally cannot do anything to Quagsire.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Since Quagsire is using both special and physical attacks, a Relaxed nature with the given EVs is best to maximize physical bulk; the fact that it lowers Speed hardly matters, as Quagsire is very slow in any case as the negative speed nature hardly matters. Alternatively, you can use a completely specially defensive EV spread set to counter most special attackers (without a Grass-type move, of course), especially Electric-types such as Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou. This choice wholly depends on your team. Stockpile over Earthquake is viable, but this leaves Quagsire nearly hopeless to against Taunt, and strong moves still KO. Yawn can be used as a phazing move over Toxic, but is less useful because of the sleep clause. Swagger is a decent choice over Earthquake if Quagsire uses Toxic, as it will be able to confusion-Toxic stall out the opponent with confusion and steady damage from Toxic and not care while ignoring the Attack boosts with Unaware about the boosted attack. However, it is rather unreliable and easily PP stalled.</p>

<p>Entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field are rather useful for Quagsire, as it will force the opponent to switch when it cannot be taken down. Roserade appears once again as a great teammate, setting up Spikes, Toxic Spikes, entry hazards and tanking Grass-type moves. Celebi is another in falls under this category as well, setting up putting downStealth Rock and boosting setting up against opposing Grass-types. Zapdos provides nice support to Quagsire, taking Grass-type moves and frying opponents with Heat Wave. Your own Water-types will like the opponent's Electric-types being gone; Swords Dance Samurott and Feraligatr will put pressure on the opponent when fast, threatening Electric-types are gone.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Quagsire is not at all short of other moves it can use. Counter, while rather gimmicky, allows Quagsire to KO opponents that cannot outright KO OHKOit. However, this approach means the fish will be taking hits, and with its low Speed it will not have time to Recover the damage off in preparation for the next foe. Safeguard is an option to protect teammates from status, but is unneeded a waste of a moveslot in most cases since there are better things to do. A RestTalk set is certainly viable on Quagsire, but Pokemon with better defenses such as Suicune are better at this role. Encore is an eye opener but might provide teammates a free turn to set up, but is sadly ineffective on Quagsire due to its low Speed; it cannot even outspeed Chansey. In any case, Wynaut with Shadow Tag is a better Encore user anyway. Water Absorb is another ability Quagsire can explore, but Gastrodon is a better Pokemon in the Water-type immunity role. However, This ability also opens up movepool restrictions; most notable is Ice Punch, which is useful to hit Dragon- and Flying-types. Acid Spray also becomes useful; with Unaware, the Special Defense drops would be ignored. However, Quagsire's low base 65 Special Attack makes this strategy ineffective.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are the number one counter to Quagsire. They resists its dual STABs and can retaliate with 4x super effective attacks. Celebi, Shaymin, and Roserade are in this group excellent examples; and the former can also use the opportunity to set up Nasty Plot or Swords Dance. Gastrodon takes little damage from unboosted Earthquakes and is immune to Waterfall and Scald, but the sea slug must watch out for a crippling Toxic. Deoxys-D is similar in that it walls Quagsire's attacks, but must watch out for Toxic. However, it has the option of Taunting Quagsire and making it useless. The last group of Pokemon is the RestTalk users such as Milotic, which are unafraid of check Quagsire pretty well too, as they aren't crippled by Toxic and can phaze Quagsire out. Various offensive threats will beat Quagsire as well. Strong STAB moves such as Rhyperior's Earthquake, Outrage from Dragon-types, or Hydro Pump from Sharpedo will still be able to KO. Thus, players must be wary of switching Quagsire into every onslaught attack in hopes to wall of walling it.</p>

GP 1 / 2

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
so there was once talk of a Water Absorb set when Gast sauntered upstairs. I have yet to test, but how do the scales weigh?

remove add comments
you will probably need to revise this section too (actually, you may want to give it another read-through to confirm there haven't been other tiering changes - I'm not too certain I caught everything.)

[Overview]

<p>Quagsire returns for another round of competitive battling, this time with even more herpin' and derpin' more because of thanks to Unaware. This ability allows the mudfish to ignore the opponent's stat boosts, both positive and negative. The UU tier is a bit more tempered than OU, so Quagsire finds its niche in countering pretty much every offensive Pokemon in the tier, barring Grass-types or a critical hit. Water / Ground typing and decent defenses also let it stop most Electric-types, as they typically use Hidden Power Ice as a coverage move and don't have access to a Grass-type move. Access to instant recovery healing in Recover is like adding powdered coffee to the curry ... wat, giving Quagsire reliability and survivability. Unfortunately, as with many walls, it is crippled by Toxic and Toxic Spikes, and cannot do much to mitigate that. Furthermore, Quagsire will still fall to powerful high-powered moves or Grass-type attacks such as a Hydro Pump from Sharpedo or a Hidden Power Grass from Milotic. Thus, Quagsire and must therefore be played with relative caution and functions best. Nonetheless, this mudfish truly shines on teams troubled by setup sweepers.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Quagsire makes an excellent user of Curse due to its ability, Unaware. This allows it to set up on many of the boosting sweepers in UU, such as Weavile, Spiritomb, Mew, and various Calm Mind users. Curse boosts Quagsire's uninvested Defense, making it all the more difficult to take down, and makes it a more potent offensive threat makes Quagsire even harder to take down by boosting its uninvested Defense, and increases its usable base 85 Attack to threatening levels. The Speed drops are inconsequential, since it is extremely slow anyway. Recover is what distinguishes it from other Curse users such as Snorlax, by allowing Quagsire to restore HP reliably. Earthquake is Quagsire's main STAB move, providing a reliable form of offense. It also hits Electric-types super effectively, which is great since most are walled handily by Quagsire. The last slot is a toss-up between Stone Edge and Waterfall. If you desire the excellent neutral coverage that EdgeQuake provides, Stone Edge is the better choice, as it hits Levitate Pokemon such as Rotom-F and Flying-types such as Zapdos I might be mistaken, but aren't all levitators are hit neutrally by Waterfall? that Earthquake would otherwise miss, providing the best overall coverage. However, Waterfall is still a valid choice, providing. A reliable second STAB move, it hits the many Ground-types, such as Rhyperior and Donphan, for super effective damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Toxic Spikes are a huge issue for Quagsire, so partners such as Roserade are great to remove them. It can also lay down its own Toxic Spikes, which goes well with complements this Curse set's survivability, and 4x resists Quagsire's dreaded Grass-type weakness. Roserade even takes down Gastrodon and opposing Quagsire, both of which are who is for an obvious reason not particularly troubled by this sead set, and can threaten a burn with Scald or poison with Toxic. Since Quagsire is neutered by status, clerics such as Chansey and Celebi Shaymin? are good teammates. They can also help sponge powerful special attacks from the likes of Mismagius / Nidoking?, which can take down Quagsire. Opposing Grass-types are a huge issue as well, threatening Quagsire with their super effective attacks, so Fire-types such as Arcanine and Victini pair well with Quagsire to eliminate them and switch in on resisted attacks, possibly nabbing a Flash Fire boost in the process.</p>

<p>The EV spread maximizes bulk, with full investment in HP and Special Defense to make Quagsire a great mixed wall after a few turns of setup. A more offensive EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD is possible, but this is not recommended for a few reasons. First of all, Quagsire's Attack, even invested, is rather low; too low for the Attack investment to be justified. Secondly, it severely detracts from Quagsire's special bulk, which is almost a necessity for Quagsire to stick around.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Quagsire is a great answer to most non-Choice Band physical attackers thanks to Unaware. Recover helps it pull off in this role, allowing it to heal off the damage from attacks that are unable to fail to OHKO or 2HKO, such as Weavile's Ice Punch. Scald spreads burns, crippling most physical attackers. However, it should not be used in an offensive manner, as coming off a base 65 Special Attacks means it will be very weak. While Toxic may seem counterproductive with Scald, it has good reason to find itself certainly earns its keep in the third slot. It is useful when predicting a wall defensive switch-ins such as Deoxys-D that might want to use Quagsire as set up fodder, such as Deoxys-D. Earthquake is the best option for the last slot; it is a reliable STAB move and hits Electric-type Pokemon such as Electivire that generally cannot do anything to Quagsire.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Since Quagsire is using both special and physical attacks, a Relaxed nature with the given EVs is best to maximize physical bulk; the fact that it lowers Speed hardly matters, as Quagsire is very slow to begin with. Alternatively, you can use a specially defensive set to counter most special attackers (without a Grass-type move, of course), especially Electric-types such as Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou. This choice wholly depends on your team. Stockpile over Earthquake is viable, but this leaves Quagsire nearly hopeless against Taunt, and strong moves still KO. Yawn can be used as a phazing move over Toxic, but is less useful a lesser option because of sleep clause. Swagger is a decent choice over Earthquake if Quagsire uses Toxic, as it will be able to stall out the opponent with confusion and steady damage from Toxic while ignoring the Attack boosts with Unaware. However, it is rather unreliable and easily PP stalled.</p>

<p>Entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field are rather useful for Quagsire, as it Unaware will force the opponent to switch when it Quagsire cannot be taken down. Roserade appears is once again as a great teammate, setting up entry hazards and tanking Grass-type moves. Celebi falls under this category as well, setting up Stealth Rock and boosting its stats against opposing Grass-types. mew / shaymin / chansey? Zapdos provides nice support to Quagsire, by both taking Grass-type moves and frying opponents with Heat Wave. Your own Water-types will like the opponent's Electric-types removed; Swords Dance Samurott and Feraligatr will put pressure on the opponent when fast, threatening Electric-types are gone.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Quagsire is not at all short of other moves it can use. Counter, while rather gimmicky, allows Quagsire to KO opponents that cannot OHKO it. However, this approach means the fish will be taking hits, and with its low Speed, it will not have time to Recover the damage off in preparation for the next foe. Safeguard is an option to protect teammates from status, but is mostly a waste of a moveslot in most cases since there are Quagsire usually has better things to do. A RestTalk set is certainly viable on Quagsire, but Pokemon with better defenses such as Suicune are better at this role. Encore might provide teammates a free turn of set up, but it is sadly ineffective on Quagsire due to its low Speed; it cannot even outspeed Chansey. Wynaut with; Shadow Tag Wynaut is a better Encore user anyway. Water Absorb is another ability Quagsire can explore, but Gastrodon is a better Pokemon in the Water-type immunity role. However, this ability opens comes with movepool restrictions; most notable is Ice Punch, which is useful to hit Dragon- and Flying-types. Acid Spray also becomes useful; with Unaware, the Special Defense drops would be ignored. However, Quagsire's low base 65 Special Attack makes this strategy gimmicky and largely ineffective.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types are the number one counters to Quagsire. They, resisting its dual STAB and can retaliating with 4x super effective attacks. Celebi, Shaymin, and Roserade are excellent examples; the former can use the opportunity to set up Nasty Plot or Swords Dance. Gastrodon takes little damage from unboosted Earthquakes and is immune to Waterfall and Scald, but the sea slug must watch out for a crippling Toxic. Deoxys-D is similar in that it walls Quagsire's attacks but must watch out for Toxic. However, it has the option of Taunting Quagsire and making rendering it useless. RestTalkers such as Milotic check Quagsire pretty well too, as they aren't crippled by Toxic and can phaze Quagsire out. Various offensive threats will beat Quagsire as well: strong STAB moves such as Rhyperior's Earthquake from Rhyperior, Outrage from Dragon-types, or Hydro Pump from Sharpedo will still be able to KO. Thus, players must be wary of indiscriminately switching Quagsire into every any attack in hopes of walling it; this mudfish is not invincible.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)