Ursaring [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>If you look up the word "power" in the dictionary, you can expect to see a picture of Ursaring right next to it. Ursaring's massive base 130 Attack stat, coupled with what is effectively a 140 Base Power STAB move and an expansive physical movepool allows it to demolish teams that aren't prepared for it. This mighty bear also has two brilliant abilities that enable it to take on the role of either a sweeper or a wallbreaker. However, Ursaring isn't perfect; it's held back by rather poor Speed and mediocre bulk. Furthermore, using Ursaring to it's maximum potential forces it to be on a timer due to the health-draining effect of burn and toxic status conditions.</p>

[SET]
name: Sweeper
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Swords Dance / Protect
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Quick Feet
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Ursaring's best shot at sweeping opposing teams. This is mainly due to a series of interlocking factors. Its ability, Quick Feet, raises Ursaring's speed by 50% when it is inflicted with a status condition. As a bonus, Ursaring's STAB move, Facade, also doubles in power when it is statused. The natural item for Ursaring is therefore a Toxic Orb. A Flame Orb is out of the question, as Quick Feet does not prevent the Attack drop caused by a burn.</p>

<p>Facade is Ursaring's chosen STAB and main sweeping move. After STAB and Toxic Orb, it reaches a staggering 210 BP, allowing Ursaring to tear through anything that doesn't resist it. Unfortunately for Ursaring, Ghost-, Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon aren't exactly uncommon. However, Ursaring isn't limited to one move, and has all the tools necessary to make their lives hell. Close Combat is possibly the best Fighting-type move out there, and can bring both Rock- and Steel-types down in one fell swoop. Crunch allows Ursaring to bring down the Ghost-types that take no damage from Facade and Close Combat, swiftly OHKOing Mismagius and its other frail counterparts. The last move provides utility, allowing Ursaring to sweep with ease. Swords Dance doubles Ursaring's Attack, all but assuring that everything that doesn't outspeed the bear will die. Protect allows for a guaranteed boost from Toxic Orb, but without the ability to double its Attack, Ursaring isn't quite as threatening.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack EVs let Ursaring hit as hard as possible, whereas full Speed investment and a Jolly nature let Ursaring outpace base 105 Speed Pokemon, such as Mismagius, after a boost from Quick Feet. Ursaring may be a very dangerous Pokemon, but even the mighty bear can require some support from its teammates to get the job done. A Pokemon that can set up dual screens is very beneficial to Ursaring, because its average bulk may cause it difficulties when attempting to set up with Swords Dance. As with any other sweeper, Ursaring appreciates entry hazard support, which can help it turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs, especially against sturdier walls such as Steelix and Donphan. Therefore the most ideal partners for Ursaring are bulky Psychic-types, specifically Deoxys-D and Uxie. Both have excellent bulk, can lay down entry hazards, and can set up dual screens. Deoxys-D is slightly bulkier and has access to Spikes and Recover, whereas Uxie gets the rare Memento, which practically guarantees Ursaring a Swords Dance behind screens. Uxie can also use U-turn, which enables it to bring Ursaring in safely. Both also share excellent synergy with Ursaring; they can switch into Fighting-type attacks with impunity, while Ursaring can safely switch into Ghost-type attacks aimed at the two of them.</p>

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Swords Dance
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set may have the same moves as the Quick Feet set, but it plays very differently. Where the previous Ursaring acted as a late-game sweeper, this set takes on the role of a very powerful wallbreaker, becoming an absolute menace against stall-based teams. The numbers speak for themselves; with a base 130 Attack, an ability that increases the power of its attacks by 50%, the ability to double its Attack in a single turn, and a 140 Base Power STAB move, only one thing is certain: your opponent is going to feel some serious pain.</p>

<p>Facade is, and always will be, Ursaring's main move. Any wall that doesn't resist Normal-type moves will be shattered, especially if Ursaring manages to gain a Swords Dance boost. Close Combat allows Ursaring to wipe out the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist its STAB attacks, most notably OHKOing the ultimate physical walls Steelix and Regirock, even if they run a physically defensive nature. Crunch enables Ursaring to bring down the Ghost-types that wall its other moves. Finally, Swords Dance lets Ursaring double its Attack, essentially concluding the match if the opponent no longer has any Pokemon that can outspeed and KO Ursaring, or a Pokemon with priority.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring can be EVed in many different ways, but the standard max Attack, max Speed spread is probably the most effective. This way, Ursaring can outspeed base 85 Speed Pokemon that don't invest in their Speed, notably Suicune, Cresselia, and Gligar. Another effective spread is 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe. With these EVs, Ursaring gains some more bulk, and can still outpace uninvested base 70 Pokemon, such as Hitmontop. Because of Ursaring's low Speed, it really appreciates paralysis support, or even Trick Room. If using the latter, run a Brave nature along with 0 Speed IVs, and move the Speed EVs to HP. In terms of moves, Earthquake is an option over Close Combat on this set. Earthquake still has a high chance of KOing Steelix and Regirock, and it doesn't drop Ursaring's defenses, making it less susceptible to priority moves. Earthquake is also Ursaring's strongest attack against Spiritomb. The higher Base Power of Close Combat is generally preferred though, since Ursaring will either be going last, meaning that the opponent won't be attacking its reduced defenses, or Ursaring will outspeed and OHKO said opponent before it can attack. Once again, bulky Psychic-types are good teammates, and can provide Ursaring the protection of dual screens, which gives it more longevity. While walls obviously aren't a problem for this Ursaring set, it is prone to being revenge killed. Therefore, an all-around bulky Pokemon that can deal with fast and powerful threats is recommended. Registeel is a good option as it has many resistances, can provide provide paralysis support, and can switch into powerful attackers such as Swellow and Raikou without a problem.</p>

<p>As a last note, Ursaring also has the option of running a Flame Orb, since Guts negates the Attack-halving effect of a burn. However, this is generally an inferior choice, since Toxic poison causes less damage than burn in the first three turns, and Ursaring generally isn't going to be staying in for that long anyway, due to being easily revenge killed.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Unlike many other physical attackers, Ursaring has a massive physical movepool. It has Return and Double Edge as other STAB options, but these are only useful if Ursaring is running a Life Orb or Choice Band set, as Facade simply outclasses them on the listed sets. Ursaring also has access to a vast array of Fighting-type moves, including Focus Punch, Superpower, Hammer Arm, Cross Chop, and Low Kick. Other useful coverage moves include the elemental punches, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Seed Bomb and Gunk Shot. Payback deserves a mention on the Guts set, which will often be going last, but Crunch is more reliable.</p>

<p>As far as stat-boosting moves go, Ursaring also has access to Bulk Up, which can be used with Leftovers for a bulkier attacker, but Swords Dance is quicker and generally more effective on such a frail Pokemon. Belly Drum may have a place on a gimmick set, since it would make Ursaring easily able to OHKO everything, but Swords Dance already gets Ursaring the KOs it needs.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Since Ursaring is so powerful, countering it can be quite difficult. Your best bet is to try and prevent it from setting up in the first place, because after a boost Ursaring isn't easily stopped. The best way to bring Ursaring down is through passive damage, since it takes damage from all entry hazards and its health will be sapped by the status Orbs. Otherwise, Ursaring can be defeated by utilizing a revenge killer. The sweeper set can be outsped by the vast majority of Choice Scarf users, such as Heracross who can promptly OHKO Ursaring, whereas the wallbreaker set can be outpaced by most offensive Pokemon.</p>

imo Quick Feet is the only reason to use Ursaring over other stuffs so I don't think Wallbreaker or CB should get a set.
no mention of protect for easy Toxic Orb activation?
Frustration and Double-Edge suck in comparison to Facade due to the fact that it's gonna be 140 BP anyways

Shouldn't you mention not using Flame Orb in Set Comments and not AC? Since most people will more likely use Flame Orb because the residual damage doesn't stack up, it would be better if they can read to not use Flame Orb in one of the first sentences they read.

Shouldn't you mention not using Flame Orb in Set Comments and not AC? Since most people will more likely use Flame Orb because the residual damage doesn't stack up, it would be better if they can read to not use Flame Orb in one of the first sentences they read.
Flame Orb still cuts your attack if you use Quick Feet

Although the Quick Feet set is definitely the best set, there should probably be a SD Guts TR set. The sheer power of this thing in TR is pretty badass

I think mentioning flame orb in AC is ok, tbh.

I'd like to write the wallbreaker, but I'd like feedback from a qc member before i do so. It's quite a bit more powerful than heracross, and with max speed evs can outpace most walls.

I'm not 100% in to the UU metagame, but I think it's definalty worth a mention that ursaring + trick room would tear offensive teams apart, especially ones that rely on their speed and power.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, no reason to mention TR on a set that focus on Quick Feet (Speed in other words). The Wallbreaker set shouldn't run max Speed. Ursaring should only run enough Speed EVs to outrun any specific walls, if needed. Put all leftover EVs into HP.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hammer Arm might be an option in places over Close Combat if there's anything that can't revenge you sans defense drops? Unlikely but worth looking in to. Also, is Fire Punch an alternative to Crunch? It should still dispose of Mismagius and most other Ghosts, while putting the hurt on the rest of the Steels.

You use the word "horrible" to describe damage repetitively, consider synonyms such as "catastrophic" and "disastrous".

this is just the skeleton, so i'll spice it up when it gets written

Hammer arm and fire punch get OO mentions; they're outclassed by the current moves. I doubt something can revenge ursaring only after defense drops, and dropping speed is a far worse side effect - Ursaring needs all the speed it can get its paws on

@SuperJocke, What's the point of HP EVs? He's losing health really fast anyway, and I'd much rather be able to outspeed as many things as possible

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ursaring is going to die fast either way and HP helps. Max Speed Adamant only outspeeds minimum Speed Suicune at best. Jolly doesn't even outpeed minimum Speed Zapdos, the only wall I can think of that's faster than Suicune, except Mew who ties with Zapdos with no Speed EVs, and Arcanine which it outspeeds with Max Spe.

Let's see what QC says about the set. If it gets to stay at all.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't want to sound like an asshole, but:

- CB might get a set, but it's slow and not exactly a bulky Pokemon
...and the SD Guts set gets a set and CB doesn't? Sure, you get a lot of power and the ability to change moves, but is how often is Ursaring going to sweep with that? Probably about as often as you'd get BellyZard to sweep, probably. Ursaring can actually has some reasonable bulk if you invested in it. I'd suggest at least testing CB, it's certainly more effective than SD Guts, IMO.

Also, have you tested a Substitute set? Something like this?

Ursaring @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Substitute
- Return
- Close Combat / Focus Punch
- Crunch

124 Spe lets you outspeed minimum base 70s (Hitmontop).

Lol there is no reason to separate the two sets because of one ability. Just slash Guts onto the first set and mention why it can be used over Quick Feet. And yes, I agree with Shrang, a Substitute set can be very effective, due to Ursaring forcing some switches. Also, please don't overlook Ursaring's bulk, as it is decent even with just a bit of investment.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but:

...and the SD Guts set gets a set and CB doesn't? Sure, you get a lot of power and the ability to change moves, but is how often is Ursaring going to sweep with that? Probably about as often as you'd get BellyZard to sweep, probably. Ursaring can actually has some reasonable bulk if you invested in it. I'd suggest at least testing CB, it's certainly more effective than SD Guts, IMO.

Also, have you tested a Substitute set? Something like this?

Ursaring @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Substitute
- Return
- Close Combat / Focus Punch
- Crunch

124 Spe lets you outspeed minimum base 70s (Hitmontop).
OK, I'll be honest. I've not tested a choice band set yet, since it looked pretty bad on paper, I'll give it a go and get back to you.

I would much rather to able to outspeed minimum Suicune than have slightly more HP. Can you give me an example of what I'm surviving?

Never really thought about a Substitute set, although I suppose it could work. I was kinda put off by Ursarings inability to use Facade on it and the CB set reliably, since that's one of his big advantages over other physical attackers. The sweeper set has a niche, since there aren't many like it, and the wallbreaker set sort of has a niche because its power destroys anything slower than it, but I honestly can't say that I would rather use CB Ursaring over something like Heracross or Ambipom

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
See, Shrang gets it. 124 EVs lets it outspeed Hitmontop, and the rest goes into HP. That's what I've been talking about all the the time. Yes, I know he's talking about a Sub set, but the it applies to the wallbraker set as well.

Right, ok, i've got it now. Sorry superjocke, but when you were mentioning hp evs i automatically thought of the 4th gen analysis, with 32 hp evs. I didn't think 32 evs were worth it, but your spread seems quite a bit more efficient. Should I mention running max speed in AC?

EDIT: updated the OP

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Well, you can mention different spreads for specific Pokémon. Like how 248 allows you outspeed minimum Speed Suicune, like SleepTalk Suicune with an Adamant nature. Actually, in the AC of both sets in my Bouffalant analysis, there's spreads that lets you outspeed Walrein, Hitmontop and Milotic, look it up. I think 212 is needed for Milotic. (Bouffalant has 55 base Speed as well)

OK. When you say 248 outspeeds minimum suicune, is that when suicune has 4 evs in speed? Because what would two more HP accomplish than max speed? Lol i don't want to argue again, but just to clear up, what i want to write is:

- have 124 speed as the main one
- in AC mention that max speed investment outpaces Suicune that try to speedcreep (or just minimum suicune period)
- furthermore, mention that hp evs can be taken out of speed if outspeeding certain things isn't a concern (i might mention milotic, but here is a case when i don't understand what an extra 40 evs in hp will help him survive)

Sorry lol

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Max makes it reach 209, which is 3 more than Suicune with no Speed EVs and 2 more than 4 Speed EVs. So why go max when you can get one more point in HP? Running max Speed is a waste of EVs.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I never had PO open, so i couldnt see how much speed it would need. I'll put the AC evs like that then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)