Gen V Initial RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey Guys, welcome to the RU sub-forum's main metagame thread!

Here you can talk about pretty much anything you want to about the current RU metagame.

Please be respectful and thoughtful in your posts. No baseless bickering, flaming, etc. I want good whole-hearted discussion. If your posts hold no substance, then they will be deleted. I can guarantee you that.

Here's the current RU list for your convenience.

Have fun!

I almost forgot. If you ever want to talk RU on IRC, come to #rarelyused for all the RU discussion you can handle! nails edit: for those unfamiliar with irc, check out this guide.

We will figure out what to do with the current suspects once we figure out what's happening to suspect tests. So stay tuned!

RU C&C analyses will come once we get rid of some of the big offenders in RU atm. So stay tuned for that as well!

Zweilous and Aggron... Nuff said. Zweilous actually has viability. I remember first trying it out. I thought, 'Hey. What kind of pre evo would make a good hard hitting fighter for my team?' Answer: CB hustle boosted STAB outrage zweilous.

Omastar and Porygon-Z are pretty ridiculous in RU, Shell Smash means Omastar can run through teams not carrying Ferroseed, and Adaptability Tri-Attack is just... brutal.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Porygon-z has pokemon that actually resist its attacks though. Yanmega is more broken. IMO

Yanmega isn't really broken imo. It's completely walled by probably 3-4 pokes and is checked by cool stuff like Sneasel and Entei which doesn't really help it seeing as SR completely manhandles it. Cresselia though...needs to gtfo.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Porygon-z Is even less broken than yanmega. I dont think P-Z will be banned from RU

Yanmega isn't really broken imo. It's completely walled by probably 3-4 pokes and is checked by cool stuff like Sneasel and Entei which doesn't really help it seeing as SR completely manhandles it. Cresselia though...needs to gtfo.
Excadrill is walled by even more pokemon but it still is close to getting banned. It's checked well but it has Speed Boost and the best part is that if you have the best team support then your fine.

Excadrill is walled by even more pokemon but it still is close to getting banned. It's checked well but it has Speed Boost and the best part is that if you have the best team support then your fine.
But the difference between them is that Excadrill has a 4x resist to SR whereas Yanmega can't even switch into them, Excadrill isn't phazed by priority due to natural bulk, and has a boosting move in SD.

I don't deny that Yanmega is a very real threat and one that should be prepared for on every team, its just that with the proper team support, you don't even have to worry about it.

One final note is that without the premier spinner in RU, Blastoise, Yanmega is going to have a lot harder of a time getting on the field.

Yeah definitely, Blastoise was a great partner for Yanmega but then people realized how amazing it is in UU.I do think Yanmega is on the verge of broken, and I'm still on the fence about it. I mean it is literally the biggest special attacker in the tier but I think it'll probably just be a RU Moltres.

On that note Cresselia is really really broken, since it can run offensive or just wipe stall clean with SubCM and things of that nature.

edit: Totally forgot about Rhyperior, I think he might be leaving RU soon because of usage but honestly idk.

:OOOOO finally i was waiting for this... (before i leave obivously) ooh Porygon-Z is not broken Yanmega cant be THAT broken it IS pretty frail.. Cresselia just shut up Cresslia and gtfo that thing is waaay too overpowered

Finally! RU has avoided 4th Gen NU Syndrome.

Anyway, Cress needs to go. DAT BAWLK allows it so to set up on so many things. It's definitely more dangerous, because unlike higher tiers, Cress doesn't need to get to +6 to sweep.

I'm kind of on the fence about Honchkrow. It's countered by viable things but with Rhyperior likely to leave RU it might need to go.

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS SUB FORUM?!
In all seriousness, this is awesome.
No more being limited to a single thread!
Besides that, after some thought, Cress, while handled, is best off in UU, where it won't wall everything not having a strong Dark/Bug STAB. Same for Yanmega, only in this case the thing is, if it switches in early game, it's just plain rape with unresisted STAB. And while phazing may still be there to handle it with SR up, to go such lengths just to get rid of it shows how much of a (centralizing) threat it is.
Also, how much of a rating is needed for voting requirements?

Uhh, Yanmega is broken as hell. That a piece of crap pokemon like Munchlax is used as much as it is should tip you off to that. And Foxy Grandpa, I'd be interested in hearing who all these Pokemon that wall Yanmega are.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We finally have a subforum? Sweet! while it may still be a while before things really get going, it's great to finally have a place to spread out the discussions. Can't wait for testing to get underway. Certain things (Cressy, Mega, etc) really need to go. Though with possible tier shifts from usage stats coming, I am willing to wait and see how it goes. But seriously, I can't wait to get started.

Uhh, Yanmega is broken as hell. That a piece of crap pokemon like Munchlax is used as much as it is should tip you off to that. And Foxy Grandpa, I'd be interested in hearing who all these Pokemon that wall Yanmega are.
Munchlax, Clefable, Audino, and Ferroseed to name a few

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Let's be honest, Ferroseed doesn't exactly wall Bug Buzzes... especially without recovery. But Audino is actually surprisingly sturdy with Regenerator.

Ferroseed can't switch in but with Leech Seed and Protect it just sits there loling at Yanmega
The question isn't if it can do anything. The question is if it can handle it.
And relying to kill Yanmega like that is kind of asking for a crit. And besides, you'll lose quite a bit more HP than that you gain with Leech Seed.
Also, Thunder Wave is a much better way to annoy Yanmega, as you cripple it for the rest of the match if it doesn't have a cleric in it's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)