Love the sun

What's up smogon.
This is my second RMT.
I decided to build a sun team since I love pokemon which can abuse sun.
I have been working on this team for about a week now and I reached 1312 points on the PO ladder.
Though I have hit a dead point now so that's why I am posting my team.
I hope you like it and give me some great feedback! Although any feedback is appreciated! :)

Team at glance:

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Sunny Day
- Roar

Ninetales is here to (obviously) bring permanent sun.
Though Ninetales is might look like a lesser pokemon than Tyranitar and Politoed, It can (in my opinion) be way better if you use it right.
It's EVs give it some bulk and lets it outspeed the likes of Dragonite which will try to set up on you.
Ninetales is also a great Excadrill counter.
Will-o-Wisp is very handy to cripple all physical attackers that think they can set up on Ninetales.
Flamethrower for the powerful STAB move in the sun.
Sunny day is great when you expect another weather enduser to come in.
Roar is when the likes of Volcarona try to set up on you.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 90 Def / 168 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

I love Gliscor.
It is a great physical wall which checks lots of threats like Conkeldurr or Terrakion. It's EVS give it some good Poison Heal recovery and physical bulk.
It also lets it outspeed other Gliscors on which I can then Swords Dance and KO.
Earthquake is a powerfull STAB move which can help sweep after a couple Swords Dances.
Ice Fang is for when I expect dragon type like Dragonite to switch in on a predicted Earthquake.
Taunt is great against the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn.
It makes them useless while I can set up a Swords Dance or two.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Salamence is a beast in sun.
With it's intimidate ability it can set up at least 1 Dragon Dance (most of the time).
Flamethrower is quite beastly in sun and with Earthquake and Outrage it has good coverage.
Naive nature because it is a mixed set.
Standard EV's for a sweeping set.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
248 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Scizor is a great scout.
It's EV's are great to trap Reunicles/Latios.
Also STAB+Technician is a great strong scout move that will hurt nearly anything that switches in.
Bullet Punch is for the strong STAB priority move and U-turn and Pursuit speak for itself.
Superpower is to OHKO the likes of Ttar and Excadrill.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is great in the sun, as probably anyone knows.
If you switch it into a Fire-type attack Fire Blast gains some power + Sun boost makes it a beastly attack.
Earth Power give the likes of chandelure a bad time.
Also Hidden Power [Ice] makes it a great Dragon counter.
Stealth Rocks speak for itself.

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball/Solarbeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is my main sweeper/revenge killer.
In sun Growth works as a Nasty Plot and thanks to venusaur's movepool it has near perfect coverage.
I'm doubting wether I should choose to run Solarbeam or Energy Ball.
If I lose the weather war venusaur carrying Solarbeam would be almost useless, Though in sun it is way more powerful.
Sludge Bomb is a strong STAB move.
Hidden Power [Fire] gives me coverage against Ferrothorn/Scizor who would otherwise wall me completely

Thanks for reading and I hope you can give me some feedback :D.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Nice team.You should replace Ambipom with Dugtrio.This will help you win weather wars with ease.You have nothing to tank DM's from Specslatios.This is why you should change your current Heatran set's evs to 252 hp 252spdef 4 spa Calm.It will prevent your team from getting bulldozed by Latios.Good luck!

I partially agree with HBK, except that you should use Wobbufett instead. Your team can easy be destroyed by water types like Starmie and Azumarrill since your entire team bar Ambipom is weak to water or ice. A Wobbuffet can win the weather war against Politoed (unlike Dugtrio) and weaken the opponents water moves. Also, many Pokemon that carry choice items (like Azu) pose a threat to your team, so Wobbuffett could deal with them.
Otherwise, this is a great team. Good luck with it!

I will try out Dugtrio > Ambipom!

@Pippy Personally i'm not so keen on Wobbufett.
My Venusaur can switch in on a water attack and outspeed and kill with Chlorophyll.

hi! this sun team is going to have a hard time against good rain teams, if there is no sunshine then 3 pkmns are weak to water and venu is useless outside sunshine, making complicated to switch and counter, another issue is that you have 3 pkmns weak to ice attacks and 2 of them are X4 weak to it. Starmie is a big issue for this team as its fast enough to kill all your mons with stealth rock on the field, except for ambipom. with a dugtrio you will only increase your weakness to ice and water which are pretty common on rain teams. maybe replace ambipom for a water counter/absorber. snorlax or slowbro perhaps.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi nice team, just a couple fixes.

First of all, just to let you know, that Ninetails set is pretty awesome. I tried it a couple minutes ago and it was great considering how I always have Spikes support on my sun teams.

I suggest running DD Salamence instead off DD Nite. Salamence and Dragonite have an equally easy time getting that first boost, Salamence with Intimidate and Dragonite with Multi Scale. However, contrary to your description. Dragonite actually has quite a bit of difficulty pulling off DD #2. After Multi Scale is broken, it actually has less physical bulk that Salamecne, meaning you'll be hard pressed to get that second DD in without taking a massive hit. Salamence on the other hand, only needs that first dance. It's superior speed means it'll outspeed everything except Scarf Landorus and faster. Flamethrower becomes a devastating move that can easily dispose of Skarmory. Salamence also gets that destructive Life Orb Outrage, which is far more powerful than Dragonite's Lum Berry Outrage.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
Naive
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

As well, Ambipom doesn't seem to be contributing much for your team. No Tyranitar is going to stay in for fear of U-Turn, so you're not likely to get a free kill there at all. It seems your team isn't too fond of Reuniclus. I suggest dropping Ambipom for a Choice Band Scizor. Still gives you that scout. But it also gives you that emergency Bullet Punch. The fire weakness doesn't even matter. Its not like Scizor was ever going to survive a fire move in the first place and Heatran is there to absorb.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
Adamant
248 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Pursuit
Superpower

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I've been testing Scizor and Salamence for 5 matches now and I'm really impressed.
Salamence's Flamethrower is pretty powerful in sun also Scizor is a great scout/Latios trapper.
Thanks again!
I'll edit it in in a second.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool sun team! You seen to have a lot of stuff covered so I'll just be making nitpicks. First off, using Overheatover Flamethrower on Ninetales. Ninetales rarely gets the oppotunity to attack once, let alone twice. Plus you have 3 productive moves on Ninetales so that gives even less reason to attack. Overheats extra power is really appreciated at times (OHKO's Celebi). Overheat also bluffs the Power Swap so stuff like Volcarona and Latias won't want to stay in and set up on you. Once Ninetales hits that -2 from Overheat, your opponent will be really tempted to get a free switch in where you can hit something coming in with Will-O-Wisp. Secondly, run Max HP over max speed on Heatran. Heatran values bulk much more then speed imo and your team really needs that extra bulk to take hits from Lati@s. Once your opponent catches a glimse of Heatrans power, they'll just assume you're running max speed aswell so you'll still force the same switches. Also stick with Energy Ball on Venasaur. Solar Beam should only be used on teams with Dugtrio who can get the guarnteed KO on Ttar/Toed.

good luck!

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Your team is still pretty stealth rock weak, despite not currently packing Volcarona. You have two stealth rock weak 'mons one of which is Ninetales which is going to be worn down extremely easily by both stealth rock and spikes and that is detrimental to the success of this team. This team could really use a rapid spinner to help you support your team much easier. Donphan would work perfectly for this job. It can rapid spin stealth rock away pretty well against most teams as well as freeing up a slot for Heatran to use another move that is not stealth rock. The most replaceable member on this team seems to be Gliscor. Although it is a great switch into Excadrill, I really think that you have it covered for the most part already. Ninetales checks Excadrill relatively well inside of the sun, while a combination of Donphan and air balloon Heatran should be enough to deal with it in the sand. I'd run maximum defense and hp on it with an impish nature, leftovers, and a set of stealth rock / earthquake / ice shard / rapid spin. Donphan also gives you excellent priority in terms of ice shard which is great for dealing with threats such as Landorus which also gives this team quite a lot of trouble as well.

I really think that Scizor is the weakest link of this team. Although on paper it seems that you are really weak to Reuniclus and Latios, with smart play those two threats should really be no problem. Another 'mon that you could try in Scizor's place is a bulkier morning sun Volcarona. It is also an extremely useful 'mon against opposing weathers, even though it has morning sun, it can easily muscle its way through the most common team archetypes [such as Jirachi / Gliscor / Rotom-W] which can really help this team out. I'd test a spread of 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe which allows you to outrun Gliscor and Rotom-W while retaining a great amount of bulk against dragon types. A good set would simply be to run quiver dance / morning sun / fiery dance / bug buzz with a bold nature and leftovers as well. As for the last move on Heatran, I would simply shift stealth rock to roar. This team is actually pretty weak to opposing Volcarona as Heatran will, most of the time, be unable to do anything. With roar, you can phaze out Volcarona to at least stop it from sweeping this team clean. gl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)