Out with the old, in with the new: A SandStorm OU RMT.

Hey guys. For those of you that dont get the title, the team is called out with the old, in with the new because Excadrill just got banned to ubers, which was basically a staple on many SandStorm teams. My team includes a pokemon that was basically overshadowed by Excadrill and Terrakion, but has found a very nice niche in my sandstorm team with the unique move SmackDown. He is a sub + 3 Attacks landorus, which is very effective at taking out a lot of pokemon that are commonly found on teams, such as Rotom-Wash and Skarmory. Smack Down basically allows Landorus to hit these pokemon with Ground type moves after this, so Earthquake will be hitting them a lot more. Without further ado, here is my team!
Changes will be made in Red FYI.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower​

At first, i decided that i wanted a sandstorm team that involved a choice band Tyranitar, which in my opinion, is the best way to get your weather up if you have a sandstorm team, mainly because they are screwed when you switch in and they cant switch out because of a STAB Banded Pursuit, which usually OHKOs most variants of Politoed and Ninetales. I ended up putting in Choice Scarf Tyranitar, but decided that it was lacking the power i needed to win against the abundance of rain teams and sun teams coming up due to Excadrill's ban. Choice Band tyranitar is basically a tank powered up to the max, being able to take hits from Ninetales, politoed, and the Lati's, while being able to Pursuit them on switches, which greatly helps my team's potential when you eliminate pokemon/Win the weather war. Pursuit and Crunch are my main moves, depending on what im predicting. Stone Edge and Superpower are basically just there as fillers.​

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar

Latias is my replacement for Jellicent, since it can still take water type attacks very nicely, and helps take some of my teams threats, such as Rotom-Wash, and Virizion to name a few. It also Lures in Rotom-W for Landorus to come in on a predicted Volt Switch/Electric attack, and get a free sub up/Smack Down. Latias' set is the basic Calm Mind set, which is very viable due to her access to Roar, as well as recover, which allows her to beat other Calm Minders. She also has amazing bulk, so she doesnt have to worry about taking many hits from the threats mentioned previously. Dragon Pulse is obviously my main attacking move, and easily sweeps teams after a few calm minds have been set up.

Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

This was the Landorus set that i was talking about. It is very underrated, and not many people know or have seen it yet. Most of the Landorus counters or checks were Skarmory, and Rotom-Wash, which resisted Landorus' stab move, and could take a U-Turn pretty well also, while being able to phaze or status. This set takes advantage of switch-ins, being able to Smack Down on a predicted switch, and than proceed to Earthquake. Substitute is when i predict a switch that is not out to Skarmory, since i don't want to get phazed out by whirlwind. Hidden Power Ice is mainly there for gliscor, and dragons that take x4 effective from it. As you can see, this set is very good, should, and will see more usage in the next upcoming months due to Excadrill's absense.​

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind​

Skarmory is here to set up spikes, and to phaze to damage pokes low enough to where they die, or Tyranitar/Landorus can come in for a late-game sweep and finish them off. There is really not much i can say about this skarmory, since the EVs are pretty standard, as well as the moveset. Spikes is for hazards, which when coupled with Whirlwind really hurt the opponent, dealing 25% damage on every switch with max layers up. BraveBird is so that i can deal damage when i need to, and Roost is there for recovery, so that i can continue to phaze and spike when i need to.​

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Grass]​

This is your standard Specially Defensive Heatran set, but with Hidden Power Grass, mainly because of the abundance of Gastrodon lately, which is a decent threat for this team. This set is very good as it can take many special hits with a massive 348 SDef stat, as well as provide Burns, phazing, and stealth rock for my team. This pokemon is Skarmory's counterpart, being able to phaze many of the special threats that Skarmory wouldn't be able to phaze with Roar. The only downside to Heatran is that he has no reliable recovery, only leftovers.​

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball​

My last pokemon is Reuniclus, and is my main fighting counter. Since my team is mainly slow, i decided to run a trickroom set in case i died in the middle of trickroom. I decided to give him Life Orb so that i can hit threats harder. The other moves, nature, and EV spread are all pretty standard. My main attacking move is psychic, while Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are for whatever Psychic doesn't hit for super effective damage when needed. Reuniclus is also a great late game pokemon because it doesnt get affected by sandstorm, stealth rocks, spikes, or status' thanks to Magic Guard. As a result, Reuniclus is very good, and definately deserves a spot on my team!​

I suggest you take the lefties off your reuniclus and replace it with life orb. Since you dont take life orb damage recoil will not be a problem. With lefties you dont pack as much of a punch wich doesnt help trick room reunilcus because it is not meant to live for long periods of time like its calm mind set, it is ment to get in set up a trick room, fuck shit up and you will have an easier time doing that with life orb.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey,

The two main threats I can see for your team are opposing Reuniclus and Choice Band Terrakion. The first is the biggest threat since it can threaten your team with its two popular sets, Calm Mind and Trick Room. You can beat Calm Mind Reuniclus if you get lucky with Focus Blast, if it misses Tyranitar, because Crunch is only a 2HKO. After that you'll have to use either Landorus or Heatran to kill it, which isn't guarenteed, and if Reuniclus is not on a sand team, you can lose the weather control because you sacked Tyranitar, which isn't really a good situation. Choice Specs Latios can also pummel your team after that. Trick Room Reuniclus is even worse to deal with, as once it sets up, it OHKOes Tyranitar, and 2HKOes the rest of your team, you'll have to win the mirror match with your own Reuniclus which is a 50% chance, and I call that playing with fire. Choice Band Terrakion is also a problem, as if it catches Tyranitar locked into Crunch or Pursuit, or even worse, if it gets the attack boost by switching on them, odds are it'll kill something on your team if it predicts correctly, as even Skarmory is 2HKOed. I think that your team would greatly benefit from Choice Band Scizor, as it can revenge kill Terrakion with relative ease, and it handles both version of Reuniclus pretty well, except random Hidden Power Fire versions. I'd remove Skarmory for it. Here's the Scizor set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Superpower

Good luck!

THANK YOU!!!!!
I have been using that EXACT same Landorus for months now, and I have never seen anything with quite as much wallbreaking power as him. I used to use him to beat the jirachi, rotom-w, gliscor combos single handedly.

As for my actual rate...
You seem to have a problem with opposing water types, and so of course rain as well.
Once Jellicent is gone, you're doomed.
I'd therefore recommend Ferrothorn > Heatran. This makes water weaknesses 2, and water resists 2. Just use typical set with stealth rock > spikes cuz skarm already has spikes. However, this leaves you pretty weak to Scizors, and I'm not entirely sure how to fix this problem. Skarm seems to fare pretty well against them, but enough passive damage from physical attackers will break him, and then Scizor destroys your team. Sorry. not sure what to do here. :/
I'd also recommend that you make your Ttar into a CB Tar that you seemed to have had originally based on what you said in the analysis. In conjunction with Reuniclus, he will be slow enough to "outspeed" many threats and do heavy damage.

Hey there.

CM Virizion is a major threat to your team since it can defeat most of your team quite easily, and is greatly helped by the fact that Reuniclus has no recovery move. Nasty Plot Celebi with both Hidden Power Fire and Earth Power can sweep you quite easily as well. Rotom-W is the largest threat, however, as your entire team can be easily OHKO'd / 2HKO'd by one of it's moves. I do not think that you particularly need Jellicent, so I suggest that you run a Calm Mind Latias in it's place.

Calm Mind Latias
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

CM Latias can take on rain teams just as easily as Jellicent, and can easily beat Rotom-W, Celebi, and Virizion as well. Hidden Power Fire lets Latias annihilate the combination of Scizor + Rotom-W after Scizor takes entry hazards damage.

Also, run a Quiet nature on Reuniclus, as TR Reuniclus benefits greatly from more attacking power. Finally, run a Shed Shell on Skarmory, as Drag + Mag teams can decimate you quite easily with Haxorous once Skarmory goes down.

Overall, solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Rotom-W can Sweep your entire team
it OHKO your whole team and can really put a dent in Rain. CM Latias
can help you stop these threats, LO Latias can help you too with recover it can go a long way in your team.
Latias @ Life Orb
EVs 4 HP/ 252 SPatk/ 252 SPE
Timid Nature(+Spe -Atk)
- Thunderbolt/ Grass Knot
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Recover

Good Luck!

Thanks for the rate guys. I'll almost definately run the CM latias set over Jellicent, because it seems like a good choice and it has good synergy with Skarmory. That being said, i almost definately will not run the CB Scizor, however, i am thinking of going back to CB Tar, i have no clue though, i'll test some more. Finally, i will definately try out Ferrothorn over Heatran as well. Im definately going to go for the banded Tar now, since Latias outspeeds most of the Metagame anyway, so its not really needed to have a scarf Tar, when i can basically win the weather war if i switch in on them.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey, this team is pretty cool although I think that you could really use something that could more easily switch into choice banded Terrakion. Currently, pretty much your entire team is 2HKOed easily and the only chance that you have to stop it is by checking it with choice scarf Tyranitar. I guess Virizion is a slight problem to this team, as it can do big damage to most of your team members after a boost, but it won't really cause you very many problems most of the time. I would recommend simply shifting Reuniclus to the calm mind variant to help you check these threats. This way, Reuniclus can sponge hits from choice banded Terrakion a bit more easily. Your team sets up pretty well for calm mind Reuniclus to come in and clean up later in the match anyways. Heatran can destroy taunt + wow Mew, which can be a problem to Reuniclus, and Jellicent can burn Scizor and some Tyranitar which can also cause Reuniclus some issues.

Calm mind Latias would do pretty well on this team. Rotom-W is going to be a pretty large problem, especially variants that like to volt switch around as you are pretty much stuck just taking damage from it and not being able to do much of anything. If Latias is an option for you, I would try out will-o-wisp on Heatran. This allows you to lure in Tyranitar which can be huge trouble for both Latias and Reuniclus. Landorus already lures in more defensive Rotom-W pretty easily so Latias will just be giving you a switch a good 'mon to take a volt switch / hydro pump. Although if you're going to give Latias a shot, I would use the calm mind + roar variant over hidden power fire. Otherwise, you will have to play with Latias very cautiously in order to avoid a pursuit / crunch or u-turn battle with Scizor or Tyranitar. gl.

Bump! Just wanted to thank everyOne for their responses, and I have a question: should I run CM reuniclus if I have CM Latias???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)