Sharpedo (GP 2/2)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<^{
Sharpedo

[Overview]

<p>Sharpedo is as close to a "classic sweeper" as you can get. It has great base 120 Attack, base 95 Special Attack, and base 95 Speed. While that Speed stat is below that all-important base 100 threshold, access to Speed Boost means Speed is the least of Sharpedo's worries. The shark's dual STAB is not perfect, but Water / Dark coverage is still very good since only a few Pokemon in RU resist the combo. Outside of its STAB moves, one may notice Sharpedo has few coverage options—Earthquake, Hidden Power, and Ice Beam are the only other notable moves. However, Sharpedo has little room, and little need, for such moves. In the classic sweeper sense, unfortunately, Sharpedo has pathetic defenses. Any strong move, whether it be resisted, neutral, or super effective, will KO Sharpedo. Furthermore, it has no way to boost its offensive stats, meaning even weak walls can stop and KO it. In any case, Sharpedo can still pose a huge threat as a late game sweeper, and should not be neglected in that sense.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Protect
move 2: Hydro Pump / Waterfall
move 3: Crunch / Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Rash
evs: 132 Atk / 252 SpA / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Mixed attacking Sharpedo is one set the shark pulls off exceptionally well in RU, as there is not an excess of bulky opponents. Protect ensures a Speed Boost, which is important since Sharpedo is outsped by a variety of threats such as Swellow, Charizard, Sneasel, and Entei. Protect also can stall out field effects, such as Trick Room and Sunny Day. Hydro Pump is the primary STAB move, hitting the many Pokemon weak to Water-type moves, such as Fire-types, Gligar, Krookodile, and Claydol. It also bypasses Qwilfish with Intimidate, and Hydro Pump can actually 2HKO some variants! Waterfall is an alternative, but doesn't hit Pokemon such as Gligar as hard. Crunch is the best secondary STAB move to use, crushing specially bulky Pokemon such as Claydol and Gallade. However, Dark Pulse is useful in that it can flinch the opponent, which works well with Sharpedo's superior Speed. Keep in mind that Dark Pulse is illegal with Hydro Pump, however. The last slot is reserved for a Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire decimates Tangrowth and Ferroseed, the latter which resists all the other moves on this set. However, Hidden Power Grass is a safer alternative against Ground-types due to Hydro Pump's shaky 80% accuracy; it also leaves any Quagsire variant no chance of survival.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a couple of other viable moves for Sharpedo. Aqua Jet is useful since other priority attacks will still take down Sharpedo. However, the move is relatively weak and makes Sharpedo's coverage rather shallow. Ice Beam is another coverage option in the last slot; with Life Orb, Rash, and 252 Special Attack EVs, it will always OHKO Tangrowth with 252 HP / 4 SpD EVs. However, Hydro Pump and Hidden Power Fire achieve a clean 2HKO, meaning Tangrowth cannot reliably switch in anyway. Those Special Attack EVs can be moved around, though, if Tangrowth is not an issue and you want Sharpedo's physical attacks to KO certain opponents. The Speed should stay relatively fixed, however, as it allow the shark at +1 to outspeed base 125s, most notably Swellow. A Rash nature is best—the boost in Special Attack is welcome, and a positive Speed nature is unimportant due to Speed Boosts. Similarly, Life Orb is chosen for the most power; Sharpedo does not have the coverage to effectively use Expert Belt, whereas the recoil from Life Orb is hardly important since Sharpedo is so frail anyway.</p>

<p>Sharpedo actually has few problems beating opponents. However, bulky Fighting-types, particularly Poliwrath and Throh, are problematic. Poliwrath is immune to Hydro Pump and resists both Crunch and Hidden Power Fire. Throh takes a hefty amount of damage from Hydro Pump, but at full health, it is not 2HKOed and can smack Sharpedo with a STAB Fighting-type move. Psychic-types, such as Slowking or Jynx (provided she avoids the strong physical attacks), and Flying-types are good partners to nail these two threats. Munchlax is also a problem, taking little damage from Sharpedo's attacks and being able to phaze it out. However, it can be taken down with repeated hits. Alomomola is also a problem with its high Defense and HP, so Grass- and Electric-types, especially special attackers such as Roselia and Galvantula, are good partners to take it out. Roselia can also provide Spikes support, turning many near OHKOes into sure OHKOes. Likewise, Stealth Rock support is helpful as well. Support Kabutops can provide both this and Rapid Spin support, which is useful since Sharpedo might be forced out many times, and it won't enjoy the passive damage. If needed, Kabutops can also provide rain support, which makes Hydro Pump hit much harder.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Aqua Jet / Earthquake
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 68 Def / 64 SpD / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is slightly different in that it focuses on Sharpedo's excellent Attack stat. Protect serves the same function: stall for Speed Boosts and maybe waste field effect turns. Waterfall is the main STAB move, maiming the majority of threats and even 2HKOing physically defensive Gligar! Crunch provides another STAB move, and hits Slowking and Jynx, which would otherwise stop Sharpedo. The last slot is a toss up. Aqua Jet is useful for picking off weakened threats that have priority moves of their own, such as Hitmonchan. However, Earthquake, although it gives little outside of coverage, provides a way to deal with Qwilfish and Pokemon with a Water / Rock typing. Earthquake will also deal the most damage to enemy Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Sharpedo's Attack, which differentiates this set from the mixed sweeper. While it may be odd that EVs are invested in the defenses, Sharpedo's base 70 / 40 / 40 defenses means direct defense investment is more efficient statistically. Secondly, Sharpedo might be able to survive the odd resisted, neutral, or priority move with these EVs, though there is no exact intention. There are a few Pokemon that still give Sharpedo troubles, even with this EV spread. While Throh and Poliwrath can now be 2HKOed with Earthquake, physically defensive Quagsire, Alomomola, and Tangrowth will cause problems. The first two can be taken out with strong Grass- or Electric-type special attackers, such as Rotom-C and Galvantula. The latter will usually fall to neutral special attacks or Hidden Power Ice, which Rotom-C and Galvantula can provide. Kabutops is again a good partner since it can provide both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a couple of other moves Sharpedo can make use of. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types more reliably than Hydro Pump, but provides less coverage and has less power. Ice Beam can OHKO Tangrowth, but the undergrowth is already 2HKOed by Hydro Pump. There are very few Dragon-types that Ice Beam can maim regardless. Substitute can be used in tandem with or over Protect; it eases prediction and stalls for multiple Speed Boosts in a row. However, Sharpedo must set up against a slower opponent, which is difficult in a fast paced metagame. Choice items are an option (not Choice Scarf, obviously), but Floatzel pulls that role off better, as the otter has access to Switcheroo and is not as frail.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon that can survive Sharpedo's moves, especially those that resist its dual STAB such as Poliwrath and Ferroseed, can KO Sharpedo as long as the shark doesn't carry a super effective move. Furthermore, opponents that can survive its attacks, such as Hariyama, Quagsire, and Primape, are able to destroy the shark. While Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are hit by Sharpedo's Dark-type moves super effectively, they have such high Defense that they can survive and retaliate. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability will also remove Sharpedo's Speed Boost, which could hinder a lategame sweep. Pokemon that can somehow manage to outspeed Sharpedo even after a Speed boost can revenge kill Sharpedo. However, this is rare, since Protect usually ensures that Sharpedo will outspeed any Choice Scarf user. Priority moves not named Ice Shard and Bullet Punch will KO Sharpedo, as with Life Orb recoil, Sharpedo will never be at full health for very long.</p>

Insert a fully physical set too, it's usable in RU.

move 3: Crunch / Night Slash
move 4: Earthquake / Aqua Jet
evs: 252 Atk / ??? Spe

I would look into Sharpedo's major threats in RU, find which one of them is the fastest and make Sharpedo's Speed their speed plus 1 divided 1.5 rounded up.

Maybe you should talk about why 'pedo is better than a potential rival in Floatzel. Floatzel is the fastest Swift Swimmer, and has access to Fighting type moves.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi ParaChomp, TheBaron

I made the physical set (late response lol). It's slightly different, but I think Crunch should get no slash primary since Night Slash is 10 BP weaker and Critical Hits are not to be relied on. Sharpedo needs all the reliable power it can get, since it can't boost. Also, I'm thinking of making primary speed to outpace base 115s after one boost, but there might be some Scarfers I have overlooked.

Good point, TheBaron, especially since Floatzel can boost it's own offenses and is effective with Choice thanks to Switcheroo. I will find places to mention it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
there isn't much relevant priority around to scare Sharp
I would delete this entirely -- there's actually a ton of relevant priority in RU all of which hits Sharpedo pretty hard (Extremespeed and Mach Punch are reasonably common, and even stuff like LO Honchkrow Sucker Punch nails it pretty hard when considering its 70/40/40 defenses).

Hell I would actually mention that anything with strong priority pretty much checks it in your checks/counters section.

Ice Beam is worth a mention for reliably hitting Eviolite Dragonair and Zweillous as well as Altaria.

I would consider looking for a more effective EV spread on the Physical Sweeper set as well, since the EVs you listed let it survive something like LO Arcanine ESpeed after rocks, iirc, which doesn't matter in RU and you could probably mix the EVs up a bit to survive some weaker attacks more effectively.

Other than that, looks good.

QC 1/3

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
I haven't seen too much priority, but I guess it will always check Sharp. Added Ice Beam in mixed AC. I'll go look at some other spreads soon.
keep hounding me if I neglect
And with that, Windsong, thanks for the check!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What is hp rock hitting? Hydro pump wrecks fires and bugs already. HP fire / grass, in that order.

Mention pump + dark pulse is illegal.

It's a fast frail powerful attacker so it can use subs effectively. OO or slash under protect, someone else chime in.

Poliwrath -> counters.

Slash in cb on the physical attacker.

Someone else comment on ice beam. Belongs in OO but maybe worth a slash but prolly not.

Find out what the 84 speed gets. It should have 256 to outrun swellow after +1. Thats what it hits if it's base 100 (idr its base speed) after hp fire, so if it is, kudos. If not fix it. Either way run max SpA on mixfish.

edit: it's base 95 speed, so it needs 124 evs. 132 att/252 Spa/124 spe with +SpA/-SpD (mild i think but make sure it is).

Unless you actually did the calcs and your spread on physishark is more efficient, put leftover evs in hp. If you wanna find out that it takes 49% max from medicham bullet punch with 32 def evs (random calc vs nve/neutral priority), thats even better. Situational stuff is always cool.

[QC Approved 2/3] after those changes and people weigh in on the stuff i asked for

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How much does Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire (that Nails wanted in) do to Tangrowth? If they OHKO then Ice Beam is OO material, if not then it's definately worth a mention in AC. And what about Altaria?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
Ice Beam barely OHKOes 252/4 Tangrowth (100.99 - 119.3%), while HP Fire and Dark Pulse don't guarantee that. Same with Altaria.

Did everything I don't talk about here.
I mentioned Sub in OO, I don't think it deserves a slash because Protect is so important on getting the jump on faster Pokemon; you would only be able to Sub safely against slower 'mons, some of which you can't KO reliably but can break your sub.

I don't know about slashing CB on the physical set since Protect is a pretty important move, and locking Sharpedo is a burden when you want the ability to switch moves against opponents in a late-game sweep.

Since Sharpedo's defenses are 70/40/40, there is more bulk (lol) when you invest directly into defenses. I can't really get anything notable out of max defense or special defense, so I'll just leave it more balanced.

Anyway, I'm going to wait on more feedback before labeling this as QC 2/3

Hydro Pump already 2HKOes Tangrowth even factoring in Leftovers (56.89% - 66.86%), so Ice Beam is highly unnecessary. Altaria isn't really common enough to warrant a slash, or even a mention in AC. I would keep it to the OO.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
finally written up (early next weak eyah!!)
though I can't guarantee I remembered everything I'm out of it

Amateur GP Check
Add Remove Comments

[Overview]

<p>Sharpedo is just about as much of a "classic sweeper" as you can get. It has great base 120 Attack, base 95 Special Attack, and base 95 Speed. While that Speed stat is below that all-important base 100 threshold, access to Speed Boost means Speed is the least of Sharpedo's worries. The shark's dual-STAB is not perfect, but, regardless, Water / Dark coverage is still very good since only a few Pokemon in RU resist the combo. Outside of its STAB moves, one may notice Sharpedo has little other coverage—Earthquake, Hidden Powers, and Ice Beam are the only other notable options. However, Sharpedo has little room, and little need, for such moves. In the classic sweeper sense, unfortunately, Sharpedo has pathetic defenses. Any strong resisted move or neutral move, not to mention super effective ones, will KO Sharpedo. Furthermore, it has no way to boosts its offensive stats es, meaning even weak walls can stop and KO it. In any case, Sharpedo can still pose a huge threat as a late-game sweeper, and should not be neglected in that sense.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Mixed attacking Sharpedo is one set the shark pulls off exceptionally in RU, as there are is not an excess of bulky opponents. Protect ensure a Speed Boost, which is important since Sharpedo is outsped by a variety of threats such as Swellow, Charizard, Sneasel, and Entei. Protect also can stall out field effects, (comma) such as Trick Room and Sunny Day ; Trick Room is the easiest since it is only 5 turns maximum. Hydro Pump is the primary STAB move, hitting the many Pokemon weak to Water-type moves, such as the Fire-types, Gligar, Krookodile, and Claydol. It also avoid bypasses Qwilfish's Intimidate, and Hydro Pump can actually 2HKO some variants! Waterfall is an alternative, but doesn't hit Pokemon such as Gligar as hard. Crunch is the best secondary STAB move to use, crushing the more specially bulky Pokemon such as Claydol and Gallade. However, Dark Pulse is useful in that it can flinch the opponent, which works well with Sharpedo's superior Speed. Keep in mind that Dark Pulse is illegal with Hydro Pump, (comma) however. The last slot is reserved for Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire decimates Ferroseed, which resists all the other moves on this set. It also hits Tangrowth. However, Hidden Power Grass is more safe to use a safer move to use against Ground-types, (comma) when you might not want Hydro Pump to miss, (comma) due to Hydro Pump's shaky 80% accuracy; (semicolon) it also and leaves any Quagsire variant with no chance of survival.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a couple of other viable moves for Sharpedo. Aqua Jet is useful since other priority attacks will still take down Sharpedo. However, the move is relatively weak and makes Sharpedo's coverage rather shallow. Ice Beam is another coverage option in the last slot; with Life Orb, Rash, and 252 Special Attack EVs, it will always OHKO 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth. However, Hydro Pump and Hidden Power Fire achieve a clean 2HKO, meaning Tangrowth cannot reliably switch in anyway. Those Special Attack EVs can be moved around though, (comma) if Tangrowth is not an issue and you want Sharpedo's physical attacks to KO certain opponents. The Speed should stay relatively fixed, however, as it allow the shark at +1 to outspeed base 125s, most notably Swellow. A Rash nature is best—the boost in Special Attack is welcome, and a positive Speed nature is unimportant due to Speed Boosts. Similarly, Life Orb is chosen for the most power: Sharpedo does not have the coverage to effectively use Expert Belt, and whereas the recoil from Life Orb is hardly important since Sharpedo is so frail anyway.</p>

<p>Sharpedo actually has few problems beating opponents. However, bulky Fighting-types, particularly Poliwrath and Throh, are a problem. Poliwrath is immune to Hydro Pump and resists both Crunch and Hidden Power Fire. Throh takes a hefty amount from Hydro Pump, but, at full health, is not 2HKOed and can smack Sharpedo with a STAB Fighting-type move. Psychic-types, such as Slowking or Jynx (provided she avoids the strong physical attacks), and Flying-type are good partners to nail these two threats. Munchlax is also a problem, taking little damage from Sharpedo's attacks and being able to phaze phazing it out. However, it can be taken down with repeated hits. Alomomola is also a problem with its high Defense and HP, so Grass- and Electric-types, especially the special attackers such as Roselia and Galvantula, are good partners to take it out. Roselia can also provide Spikes support, turning many near OHKOes into sure OHKOes. Likewise, Stealth Rock support is helpful as well. Support Kabutops can provide both this and Rapid Spin support, which is useful since Sharpedo might be forced out many times, and it won't be enjoying the passive damage. If needed, (comma) Kabutops can also provide rain support, making Hydro Pump hit much harder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is slightly different in that it focuses on Sharpedo's excellent Attack stat. However, Protect serves the same function: to stall for Speed Boosts and maybe waste field effect turns. Waterfall is the main STAB move, maiming the majority of neutral threats and even 2HKOing physically defensive Gligar! Crunch provides another STAB move, most notably hitting Slowking and Jynx, which would otherwise stop Sharpedo. The last slot is a toss up. Aqua Jet is useful for picking off weakened threats that have priority moves of their own, such as Hitmonchan Entei Entei is a bad example since Extremespeed is +2 priority and will go before Aqua Jet. However, Earthquake, although it gives little outside coverage, provides a way to deal with Qwilfish and those Pokemon with a Water / Rock typing. Should Sharpedo ever face and opposing one, Earthquake will do the most amount of damage Earthquake will also deal the most damage to enemy Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Sharpedo's Attack, differentiating this set from the mixed sweeper. While it may be odd that EVs are invested in the defenses, there are reasons for this. First of all, Sharpedo's base 70 / 40 / 40 base defenses means direct defense investment is more efficient. Secondly, Sharpedo might be able to survive the odd resisted, neutral, or priority move with these EVs, though there is no exact intention. There are a few Pokemon that still give Sharpedo troubles, even with this different EV spread. While Throh and Poliwrath can now be 2HKOed with Earthquake, physically defensive Quagsire, Alomomola, and Tangrowth will cause problems. The first two can be taken out with strong Grass- or Electric-type special attackers, such as Rotom-C and Galvantula. The latter will usually fall to neutral special attacks and or Hidden Power Ice, which Rotom-C and Galvantula can provide. Kabutops is again a good partner for since it can provide both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a couple of other moves Sharpedo can make use of. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-type move reliably than Hydro Pump, but provides less coverage and has less power. Ice Beam can OHKO Tangrowth, but the undergrowth is already 2HKOed by Hydro Pump. There are very few Dragon-type that Ice Beam can maim [/COLOR] , (comma) as well regardless. Substitute can be used in tandem with or over Protect, easing prediction and allowing Sharpedo to stall stalling for multiple Speed Boosts in a row. However, Sharpedo must set up against a slower opponent, which is unfavorable in a fast paced metagame. Choice items are an option (not Choice Scarf, obviously), but Floatzel pulls that role off better, as the weasel has access to Switcheroo and is not as frail.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon that can survive Sharpedo's moves, especially those that resist its dual STAB such as Poliwrath and Ferroseed, can KO Sharpedo as long as it isn't carrying a super effective move. Furthermore, opponents that can survive its attacks, such as Hariyama, Quagsire, and Primape, are able to destroy the shark. While Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are hit by Sharpedo's Dark-type moves super effectively, they have such high Defense that they can survive and retalitate. Cofagrigus's Mummy will also remove Sharpedo's Speed Boost, which could hinder be a problem for a lategame sweep. Pokemon that can somehow manage to be faster after Sharpedo gets its Speed increased by Speed Boost will can outspeed and KO Sharpedo. However, this is rare, since Protect usually ensures that Sharpedo will outspeed any Choice Scarf user. Priority moves not named Ice Shard and Bullet Punch will KO Sharpedo, as with Life Orb recoil it will never be at full health for very long.</p>

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Making Edits On ShakeItUp's Check
Amateur GP Check
Add Remove Comments

[Overview]

<p>Sharpedo is just about as close to a "classic sweeper" as you can get. It has great base 120 Attack, base 95 Special Attack, and base 95 Speed. While that Speed stat is below that all-important base 100 threshold, access to Speed Boost means Speed is the least of Sharpedo's worries. The shark's dual-STAB is not perfect, but, regardless, Water / Dark coverage is still very good since only a few Pokemon in RU resist the combo. Outside of its STAB moves, one may notice Sharpedo has little other few coverage options—Earthquake, Hidden Powers, and Ice Beam are the only other notable options. However, Sharpedo has little room, and little need, for such moves. In the classic sweeper sense, unfortunately, Sharpedo has pathetic defenses. Any strong move(comma) whether it be resisted, neutral, or super effective(comma) resisted move or neutral move, not to mention super effective ones, will KO Sharpedo. Furthermore, it has no way to boosts its offensive stats es, meaning even weak walls can stop and KO it. In any case, Sharpedo can still pose a huge threat as a late-game sweeper, and should not be neglected in that sense.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Mixed attacking Sharpedo is one set the shark pulls off exceptionally well in RU, as there are is not an excess of bulky opponents. Protect ensure a Speed Boost, which is important since Sharpedo is outsped by a variety of threats such as Swellow, Charizard, Sneasel, and Entei. Protect also can stall out field effects(comma) such as Trick Room and Sunny Day(period) ; Trick Room is the easiest since it is only 5 turns maximum. Hydro Pump is the primary STAB move, hitting the many Pokemon weak to Water-type moves, such as the Fire-types, Gligar, Krookodile, and Claydol. It also avoid bypasses Qwilfish with Intimidate(comma)Qwilfish's Intimidate, and as Hydro Pump can actually 2HKO some variants! Waterfall is an alternative, but doesn't hit Pokemon such as Gligar as hard. Crunch is the best secondary STAB move to use, crushing the more specially bulky Pokemon such as Claydol and Gallade. However, Dark Pulse is useful in that it can flinch the opponent, which works well with Sharpedo's superior Speed. Keep in mind that Dark Pulse is illegal with Hydro Pump(comma) however. The last slot is reserved for a Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire decimates Tangrowth and Ferroseed, the latter which resists all the other moves on this set. It also hits Tangrowth. However, Hidden Power Grass is more safe to use a safer alternative against Ground-types, (comma) when you might not want Hydro Pump to miss, (comma) due to Hydro Pump's shaky 80% accuracy(semicolon) it also and leaves any Quagsire variant with no chance of survival.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a couple of other viable moves for Sharpedo. Aqua Jet is useful since other priority attacks will still take down Sharpedo. However, the move is relatively weak and makes Sharpedo's coverage rather shallow. Ice Beam is another coverage option in the last slot; with Life Orb, Rash, and 252 Special Attack EVs, it will always OHKO Tangrowth with 252 HP / 4 SpD EVs(period) Tangrowth. However, Hydro Pump and Hidden Power Fire achieve a clean 2HKO, meaning Tangrowth cannot reliably switch in anyway. Those Special Attack EVs can be moved around though, (comma) if Tangrowth is not an issue and you want Sharpedo's physical attacks to KO certain opponents. The Speed should stay relatively fixed, however, as it allow the shark at +1 to outspeed base 125s, most notably Swellow. A Rash nature is best—the boost in Special Attack is welcome, and a positive Speed nature is unimportant due to Speed Boosts. Similarly, Life Orb is chosen for the most power: Sharpedo does not have the coverage to effectively use Expert Belt, and whereas the recoil from Life Orb is hardly important since Sharpedo is so frail anyway.</p>

<p>Sharpedo actually has few problems beating opponents. However, bulky Fighting-types, particularly Poliwrath and Throh, are problematic(period) a problem. Poliwrath is immune to Hydro Pump and resists both Crunch and Hidden Power Fire. Throh takes a hefty amount of damage from Hydro Pump, but, at full health, is not 2HKOed and can smack Sharpedo with a STAB Fighting-type move. Psychic-types, such as Slowking or Jynx (provided she avoids the strong physical attacks), and Flying-types <-note extra "s" are good partners to nail these two threats. Munchlax is also a problem, taking little damage from Sharpedo's attacks and being able to phaze phazing it out. However, it can be taken down with repeated hits. Alomomola is also a problem with its high Defense and HP, so Grass- and Electric-types, especially the special attackers(comma) such as Roselia and Galvantula, are good partners to take it out. Roselia can also provide Spikes support, turning many near OHKOes into sure OHKOes. Likewise, Stealth Rock support is helpful as well. Support Kabutops can provide both this and Rapid Spin support, which is useful since Sharpedo might be forced out many times, and it won't be enjoying enjoy the passive damage. If needed(comma) Kabutops can also provide rain support, making which makes Hydro Pump hit much harder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is slightly different in that it focuses on Sharpedo's excellent Attack stat. However, Protect serves the same function: to stall for Speed Boosts and maybe waste field effect turns. Waterfall is the main STAB move, maiming the majority of neutral threats and even 2HKOing physically defensive Gligar! Crunch provides another STAB move, most notably hitting and hits Slowking and Jynx, which would otherwise stop Sharpedo. The last slot is a toss up. Aqua Jet is useful for picking off weakened threats that have priority moves of their own, such as Hitmonchan Entei Entei is a bad example since Extremespeed is +2 priority and will go before Aqua Jet. However, Earthquake, although it gives little outside of coverage, provides a way to deal with Qwilfish and those Pokemon with a Water / Rock typing. Should Sharpedo ever face and opposing one, Earthquake will do the most amount of damage Earthquake will also deal the most damage to enemy Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Sharpedo's Attack, differentiating which differentiates this set from the mixed sweeper. While it may be odd that EVs are invested in the defenses, there are reasons for this. First of all, Sharpedo's base 70 / 40 / 40 base defenses means direct defense investment is more efficient statistically. Secondly, Sharpedo might be able to survive the odd resisted, neutral, or priority move with these EVs, though there is no exact intention. There are a few Pokemon that still give Sharpedo troubles, even with this different EV spread. While Throh and Poliwrath can now be 2HKOed with Earthquake, physically defensive Quagsire, Alomomola, and Tangrowth will cause problems. The first two can be taken out with strong Grass- or Electric-type special attackers, such as Rotom-C and Galvantula. The latter will usually fall to neutral special attacks and or Hidden Power Ice, which Rotom-C and Galvantula can provide. Kabutops is again a good partner for since it can provide both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a couple of other moves Sharpedo can make use of. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-type move Fire-types more reliably than Hydro Pump, but provides less coverage and has less power. Ice Beam can OHKO Tangrowth, but the undergrowth is already 2HKOed by Hydro Pump. There are very few Dragon-types <-add "s" that Ice Beam can maim , (comma) as well regardless. Substitute can be used in tandem with or over Protect, easing predictionstalling it eases prediction and stalls for multiple Speed Boosts in a row. However, Sharpedo must set up against a slower opponent, which is unfavorable difficult in a fast paced metagame. Choice items are an option (not Choice Scarf, obviously), but Floatzel pulls that role off better, as the weasel otter Wahh! V0x is mean and hates otters has access to Switcheroo and is not as frail.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon that can survive Sharpedo's moves, especially those that resist its dual STAB such as Poliwrath and Ferroseed, can KO Sharpedo as long as it isn't carrying carries you would want to carry a S.E. move to KO Sharpedo wouldn't you? a super effective move. Furthermore, opponents that can survive its attacks, such as Hariyama, Quagsire, and Primape, are able to destroy the shark. While Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are hit by Sharpedo's Dark-type moves super effectively, they have such high Defense that they can survive and retalitate retaliate. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability will also remove Sharpedo's Speed Boost, which could hinder be a problem for a lategame sweep. Pokemon that can somehow manage to be faster will outspeed Sharpedo even after a Speed Boost can revenge kill and KO Sharpedo. However, this is rare, since Protect usually ensures that Sharpedo will outspeed any Choice Scarf user. Priority moves not named Ice Shard and Bullet Punch will KO Sharpedo, as with Life Orb recoil(comma) Sharpedo it will never be at full health for very long.</p>
GP Approved (1/2)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
implemented, thanks both of you!
quick note about the Checks and Counters: I mean if Sharpedo wasn't carrying a super effective move. So while my wording technically wasn't wrong (it refers to the closest noun), I could see how it would be confusing.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Sharpedo is as close to a "classic sweeper" as you can get. It has great base 120 Attack, base 95 Special Attack, and base 95 Speed. While that Speed stat is below that all-important base 100 threshold, access to Speed Boost means Speed is the least of Sharpedo's worries. The shark's dual-(space)STAB is not perfect, but Water / Dark coverage is still very good since only a few Pokemon in RU resist the combo. Outside of its STAB moves, one may notice Sharpedo has few coverage options—Earthquake, Hidden Powers, and Ice Beam are the only other notable moves. However, Sharpedo has little room, and little need, for such moves. In the classic sweeper sense, unfortunately, Sharpedo has pathetic defenses. Any strong move, whether it be resisted, neutral, or super effective, will KO Sharpedo. Furthermore, it has no way to boost its offensive stats, meaning even weak walls can stop and KO it. In any case, Sharpedo can still pose a huge threat as a late-(space)game sweeper, and should not be neglected in that sense.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Mixed attacking Sharpedo is one set the shark pulls off exceptionally well in RU, as there is not an excess of bulky opponents. Protect ensures a Speed Boost, which is important since Sharpedo is outsped by a variety of threats such as Swellow, Charizard, Sneasel, and Entei. Protect also can stall out field effects, such as Trick Room and Sunny Day. Hydro Pump is the primary STAB move, hitting the many Pokemon weak to Water-type moves, such as Fire-types, Gligar, Krookodile, and Claydol. It also bypasses Qwilfish with Intimidate, and Hydro Pump can actually 2HKO some variants! Waterfall is an alternative, but doesn't hit Pokemon such as Gligar as hard. Crunch is the best secondary STAB move to use, crushing specially bulky Pokemon such as Claydol and Gallade. However, Dark Pulse is useful in that it can flinch the opponent, which works well with Sharpedo's superior Speed. Keep in mind that Dark Pulse is illegal with Hydro Pump, however. The last slot is reserved for a Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fire decimates Tangrowth and Ferroseed, the latter which resists all the other moves on this set. However, Hidden Power Grass is a safer alternative against Ground-types due to Hydro Pump's shaky 80% accuracy; it also leaves any Quagsire variant no chance of survival.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a couple of other viable moves for Sharpedo. Aqua Jet is useful since other priority attacks will still take down Sharpedo. However, the move is relatively weak and makes Sharpedo's coverage rather shallow. Ice Beam is another coverage option in the last slot; with Life Orb, Rash, and 252 Special Attack EVs, it will always OHKO Tangrowth with 252 HP / 4 SpD EVs. However, Hydro Pump and Hidden Power Fire achieve a clean 2HKO, meaning Tangrowth cannot reliably switch in anyway. Those Special Attack EVs can be moved around, though, if Tangrowth is not an issue and you want Sharpedo's physical attacks to KO certain opponents. The Speed should stay relatively fixed, however, as it allow the shark at +1 to outspeed base 125s, most notably Swellow. A Rash nature is best—the boost in Special Attack is welcome, and a positive Speed nature is unimportant due to Speed Boosts. Similarly, Life Orb is chosen for the most power:;(semicolon) Sharpedo does not have the coverage to effectively use Expert Belt, whereas the recoil from Life Orb is hardly important since Sharpedo is so frail anyway.</p>

<p>Sharpedo actually has few problems beating opponents. However, bulky Fighting-types, particularly Poliwrath and Throh, are problematic. Poliwrath is immune to Hydro Pump and resists both Crunch and Hidden Power Fire. Throh takes a hefty amount of damage from Hydro Pump, but,(no comma) at full health, it is not 2HKOed and can smack Sharpedo with a STAB Fighting-type move. Psychic-types, such as Slowking or Jynx (provided she avoids the strong physical attacks), and Flying-types are good partners to nail these two threats. Munchlax is also a problem, taking little damage from Sharpedo's attacks and being able to phaze it out. However, it can be taken down with repeated hits. Alomomola is also a problem with its high Defense and HP, so Grass- and Electric-types, especially special attackers,(no comma) such as Roselia and Galvantula, are good partners to take it out. Roselia can also provide Spikes support, turning many near OHKOes into sure OHKOes. Likewise, Stealth Rock support is helpful as well. Support Kabutops can provide both this and Rapid Spin support, which is useful since Sharpedo might be forced out many times, and it won't enjoy the passive damage. If needed, Kabutops can also provide rain support, which makes Hydro Pump hit much harder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is slightly different in that it focuses on Sharpedo's excellent Attack stat. Protect serves the same function: to stall for Speed Boosts and maybe waste field effect turns. Waterfall is the main STAB move, maiming the majority of threats and even 2HKOing physically defensive Gligar! Crunch provides another STAB move, and hits Slowking and Jynx, which would otherwise stop Sharpedo. The last slot is a toss up. Aqua Jet is useful for picking off weakened threats that have priority moves of their own, such as Hitmonchan. However, Earthquake, although it gives little outside of coverage, provides a way to deal with Qwilfish and Pokemon with a Water / Rock typing. Earthquake will also deal the most damage to enemy Sharpedo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximize Sharpedo's Attack, which differentiates this set from the mixed sweeper. While it may be odd that EVs are invested in the defenses, Sharpedo's base 70 / 40 / 40 base defenses means direct defense investment is more efficient statistically. Secondly, Sharpedo might be able to survive the odd resisted, neutral, or priority move with these EVs, though there is no exact intention. There are a few Pokemon that still give Sharpedo troubles, even with this EV spread. While Throh and Poliwrath can now be 2HKOed with Earthquake, physically defensive Quagsire, Alomomola, and Tangrowth will cause problems. The first two can be taken out with strong Grass- or Electric-type special attackers, such as Rotom-C and Galvantula. The latter will usually fall to neutral special attacks or Hidden Power Ice, which Rotom-C and Galvantula can provide. Kabutops is again a good partner since it can provide both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a couple of other moves Sharpedo can make use of. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types more reliably than Hydro Pump, but provides less coverage and has less power. Ice Beam can OHKO Tangrowth, but the undergrowth is already 2HKOed by Hydro Pump. There are very few Dragon-types that Ice Beam can maim regardless. Substitute can be used in tandem with or over Protect; it eases prediction and stalls for multiple Speed Boosts in a row. However, Sharpedo must set up against a slower opponent, which is difficult in a fast paced metagame. Choice items are an option (not Choice Scarf, obviously), but Floatzel pulls that role off better, as the otter has access to Switcheroo and is not as frail.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon that can survive Sharpedo's moves, especially those that resist its dual STAB such as Poliwrath and Ferroseed, can KO Sharpedo as long as the shark doesn't carry a super effective move. Furthermore, opponents that can survive its attacks, such as Hariyama, Quagsire, and Primape, are able to destroy the shark. While Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are hit by Sharpedo's Dark-type moves super effectively, they have such high Defense that they can survive and retaliate. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability will also remove Sharpedo's Speed Boost, which could hinder a lategame sweep. Pokemon that can somehow manage to outspeed Sharpedo even after a Speed boost can revenge kill Sharpedo. However, this is rare, since Protect usually ensures that Sharpedo will outspeed any Choice Scarf user. Priority moves not named Ice Shard and Bullet Punch will KO Sharpedo, as with Life Orb recoil, Sharpedo will never be at full health for very long.</p>
fine job.

[GP 2/2]

Uploaded

• added a </p> tag
  • Speed boosts, not Speed Boosts
  • removed Ice Beam from OO because you already mention it on first set's AC and OO is only for moves not mentioned before
  • rephrased something on C&C section
  • you have both late game and late-game so I fixed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)