BW LC We've Made It. (Peaked #1)

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
We've Made It.

I've made it far. We've made it far.

• Introducing

Hey fellas, how ya doin'. Furai here, this time with an LC RMT.
I have beem experimenting almost every tier in the BW metagame besides UU and RU (well, and NU) for a while and LC was the latest one I got into. I was awfully bad. Really, I completely hated the tier, because I did not get it. When I decided I wanted to go back into LC, I signed up for LC101 as a tutee. Chieliee was assigned as my tutor.

For our first lessons, I completely sucked. Really. I dropped below 950s if I recall correctly. I took a team that was in my team folder for a long while, and started revamping it with the help of Chieliee. After about a month, experimenting each version of the team and looking for weaknesses, We've Made It was created.

I really like Offense, while still being able to remain balanced, so this team perfectly suits me and my playstyle. Someone told me here that "teams are not worth if you are not in perfect sync with them". I aimed for that goal and fortunately I achieved it.

During my climb to the top I have beaten many known people like elevator_music (<3), Ray Jay (:D), D4RR3N (Sup Bitch?) and Drifloon (.sECRET, who had the ladder peaked for a long while).

Before I end the introduction, I'm more than glad to say that I dedicate this team to Chieliee. Without him I wouldn't be here or at that spot.
You deserve it man!

So yeah, to the team, shall we?

--------------------

• Teambuilding

Stage 1: [Mienfoo][Ferroseed][Baltoy][Houndour][Magnemite][Clamperl]
Stage 1 was all about Clamperl. Clamperl is so good really, it wrecks so much.
Stage 1 team was 100% supporting Clamperl's late-game sweep, weakening the notable threats or even killing them like Ferroseed who is trapped and killed by Magnemite and Munchlax, who can be easily weakened with no reliable recovery. Baltoy was so awesome, but it didn't do the trick without recovery, and it couldn't beat Fighting types which the team was horribly weak to.

Stage 2: [Mienfoo][Ferroseed][Tentacool][Houndour][Magnemite][Clamperl]
Tentacruel took Baltoy's slot because it has a great synergy with Ferroseed, and can take most Fighting types while being able to burn them with Scald if I get lucky. Plus, Tentacool removes Toxic Spikes automatically which Clamperl would love.

Stage 3: [Mienfoo][Timburr][Tentacool][Houndour][Magnemite][Clamperl]
I was terribly weak to Scraggy. No kidding. So I put on Mienfoo Houndour's Choice Scarf and made Houndour LO Sweeper. I also put Timburr over Ferroseed because it Ferroseed didn't give much to the team.

Stage 4: [Mienfoo][Croagunk][Tentacool][Houndour][Magnemite][Clamperl]
But Timburr didn't do well, and I needed another thing that could handle Fighting types. Physical Bulky Croagunk did the trick, and damn he was awesome.

Stage 5: [Mienfoo][Croagunk][Slowpoke][Houndour][Magnemite][Clamperl]
Tentacool wasn't doing well at all. He couldn't get enough HP back from Giga Drain and it was too weak and frail to take on Hi Jump Kicks and stuff. So Slowpoke took his place, and I am not regretting of that move until this day. Slowpoke is just too good, it also fixes my Drilbur problem!

Stage 6: [Mienfoo][Stunky][Slowpoke][Lileep][Magnemite][Clamperl]
I reeeeeeeeeally needed something reliable to take on Gastly, and there really is only one good choice: Stunky. Since Stunky is part Poison too, it replaced Croagunk because now that Slowpoke is in the team I don't need him. I also needed a Special Wall. Chieliee and I tried everything so much things, but we missed Lileep. Luckily, I laddered and saw a Lileep in one of my matches, and immediately slapped it in instead of Houndour because it wasn't doing anything when Stunky was in. And by this stage, the team started to shine, peaking me #3 on the ladder.

Stage 7: [Mienfoo][Stunky][Frillish][Lileep][Larvesta][Staryu]
The RMT was supposed to be featuring that team but whatever; Stage 6 was so fucking weak to U-Turn chains. I seriously raged and almost quit the tier. After getting mauled by e_m's team a few times, and looking at the LC CCAT I realized how good Staryu + Larvesta is. I also saw how weak I was to Larvesta. So Frillish took Slowpoke's place, because it does pretty much the same, but without weakness to Bug- moves and without Regenrator (which sucks, but Cursed Body trolling is good. Really, I beat a Scraggy with Frillish before!) Staryu keeps me the offensive power of Clamperl while still providing Spin support for the team, and especially for Larvesta which is crucial for shutting down those chains and fucking up almost any Physical attacker which doesn't carry a super-effective move like Diglett which has Rock Slide.

Stage 8: [Mienfoo][Bronzor][Frillish][Chinchou][Larvesta][Staryu]
So after losing LC101 Tutee Tour in the Finals to a Drilbur, and after knowing I had nothing reliable to take on Brave Birds, and after being swept by Darren when he used a Clamperl - I decided I need a change. Bronzor was definetly the way to go. Unfortunately, Stunky had to give up its spot for Bronzor. With Bronzor on the team, Lileep didn't do anything special besides countering Chinchou, and I decided a Chinchou of my own could be more helpful, spamming Volt Switch and supporting the team with Heal Bell while also checking Clamperl.

The Grand Finale: [Mienfoo][Bronzor][Croagunk][Chinchou][Larvesta][Staryu]
Stunky's priority were too important, and I couldn't give up on Frillish's spot because I would've had no reliable way to counter Fighting- types even with Larvesta. And yes, I've tested it and it didn't work reliably. Then I looked at the past, and Croagunk has made its comeback. Croagunk combines both of my needs in one Pokemon: the first one being Priority and the second one being the ability to defeat Fighting- types. And with that, The team-building is done and We've Made It is created!

--------------------

At a Glance

• Meet the Members

Platinum (Mienfoo) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- - - - - - - - - -

The big boss. Definetly my most favorite Pokemon in this metagame. It's just too good. Mienfoo is my main sweeper and my guard from Scraggy. The thing is, that I must not let Scraggy get to +2, and that is not a hard task with Larvesta and Stunky in the team. Mienfoo also synergizes very well with the team, and gives lots of support like scouting with U-turn which is just plain awesome with that amazing ability called Regenerator and with Larvesta. This thing also hits like a truck, Hi Jump Kick from Mienfoo is probably the strongest attack in the metagame. Drain Punch is there for backup, in case I don't want to risk a miss like against a ~60% Scraggy or when I'm in low health. Stone Edge is there for coverage, and it's pretty awesome against Gastly, Larvesta and Flying- switch ins, dealing 75% minimum to the first one mentioned.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Silver (Bronzor) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 152 Def / 8 SAtk / 72 SDef / 16 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- - - - - - - - - -

Probably the glue of the team. This little fella right here is my guard against Drilbur and Brave Birds, shame it doesn't get a reliable recovery. But that doesn't mean he's not good, and you all probably know it. Bronzor is most likely one of the best Supporters out there, and for a good reason. Stealth Rock is the most basic Entry Hazard and a must for every team. It allows me to get a few important OHKOs and 2HKOs, like against Scraggy which Hi Jump Kick does 95% minimum - and I am not willing to take the risk. Psychic is a good STAB move, taking care of Croagunks and other Fighting- types, so he won't become a set-up bait for them. Because of iss's strategy of Air Balloon + Magnet Rise Magnemite with Drilbur, I am using Hidden Power [Fighting] over Earthquake, so I could have a chance against that strategy. Eartquake was truly only for Magnemite and Chinchou, who are dealt by the rest of the team. I am now using Toxic over Hidden Power [Ice] because Psychic does just about the same damage, like ~5% less. Toxic however, allows me to put many Pokemon under pressure like Chinchou, Mienfoo or Drifloon, meaning they would have to pick their move wisely and their lifespan on the field would be shorter.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Emerald (Croagunk) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SDef / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Taunt
- - - - - - - - - -

Croagunk is a key Pokemon in my team as well. From the beginning I have used the Bulky Attacker because I knew that Croagunk needs to stay on the field as much as possible, because it tanks many hard attacks like Hi Jump Kick. Croagunk also removes Toxic Spikes immediately due to his typing, which are a pain. Fake Out and Sucker Punch are my only Priority moves, and on Croagunk they are a very solid choice. With these moves I'm able to check Clamperl, Drilbur, Drifloon and Gastly, unless they use non-attacking moves which in that case will be a mindgame. Drain Punch is such a cool move. Croagunk has no reliable recovery and Drain Punch combines both STAB and recovery into one attack which is great. With Toxic on Bronzor, I don't really need Toxic on Croagunk too. So I picked Taunt, so SubHypnosis will not have a fun time switching into me. With that I could also smack it with Sucker Punch because it must use an attacking move (or switch), and prevent from stuff like Lileep setting up on me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Sapphire (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- - - - - - - - - -

(+).(+) tzz tzz. iss's favorite Pokemon, and probably for a good reason. Chinchou is the third force in the combo of Mienfoo-Larvesta-Chinchou, added after both Mienfoo and Larvesta, being able to spam STAB Volt Switch and heal status causes with Heal Bell. Chinchou functions as a counter to most Water- types, Bulky and Offensive together, in the metagame, especially Staryu which can spin off my Stealth Rock and opposing Chinchou who annoys me with Volt Switch. Hydro Pump is a good STAB move, landing a few marks on my opponent with its big base power. Hidden Power [Grass] is there so I will have something to hit opposing Chinchou with, Hydro Pump barely tickles it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Ruby (Larvesta) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SDef / 124 Spd
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- - - - - - - - - -

The rising star of the metagame. Larvesta is so cute and very important for the team. It allows me to beat U-Turn chains by Flame Body haxxing the opponent. This ability comes in handy against Fighting- types the most, except for Timburr who will just enjoy the burn. I tweaked prem's EVs a bit so I could speedtie with Exeggcute and by that I will leave a lot of pressure on it. Will-O-Wisp is good for the cases where Flame Body doesn't burn my opponent and for trolling those Sucker Punch users (e.g. Stunky HAHAHAHAA). Morning Sun is amazing on Larvesta so it could expand its lifespan on the field. Flare Blitz hits so hard already, combine that with STAB and that it's not even funny anymore. U-Turn is another STAB move, which suits the team very well, scouting along with Chinchou and Mienfoo.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Crystal (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 116 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- - - - - - - - - -

Because every Larvesta needs Rapid Spin support, and Staryu is clearly the best spinner in the game. Staryu as well maintains the Offensive power of Clamperl, while still being Bulkier and faster. Recover is all about increasing the time Staryu would spend battling. Hydro Pump hits pretty hard, being able to hit hard stuff like Gastly (which is OHKOd) and Mienfoo. Thunderbolt has very good coverage with Hydro Pump and can dent Water- and Flying- Pokemon with an ease. Staryu is pretty much self-explanatory, everyone know it because it's really awesome.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Conclusion
So this is my team, I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. I had a lot of fun building it and battling with it, I hope I expressed it enough in this RMT. Just one thing that I can conclude:
Rate My Team!

Platinum (Mienfoo) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Silver (Bronzor) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 152 Def / 8 SAtk / 72 SDef / 16 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Emerald (Croagunk) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SDef / 36 Spd
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Taunt

Sapphire (Chinchou) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ruby (Larvesta) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SDef / 124 Spd
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Crystal (Staryu) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 116 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Sup. I came here smelling someone has mentioned my name. But yeah, great team, not much flaws, but you might want to try Toxic over HP Ice on Bronzor considering it doesnt hit anything specifically hard (well psychic does almost the same damage). But yeah, keep an eye on Zen Headbutt Munchlax (ya know it!) :]

Edit: #7 on the ladder is still the best, suck it.

Edit: I guess i'm #2 now =]

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Congratulations on the ladder peak Furai, and congrats to Chieliee for tutoring such a successful player. Although I usually try to fit in a rate, I think there is a sentimental presence with the team, and I would rather leave that unfettered.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations =)

I agree with D4RR3N, stabbed psychic does only 4% less damages than super effective HP. Nothing more to say, you made this team as good as possible, gg again !

it's REALLY a solid team. I've tried to find a huge weakness but i don't succeeded. Congratulations for the team and for made it first in the ladder with 1500 points! If join the council it will be deserved.

Good Joob!!!

Gyro Ball probably does more Drillbur than HP Ice, so use that on Bronzor...
Without Payback, Croagunk loses miserably to Gastly. Definitely suggesting you change that.
You should probably use max SpA on Staryu to kill full health Gastly with Hydro Pump all the time.
Good team.

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for all the positive comments you guys! I appreciate them a lot.

Sup. I came here smelling someone has mentioned my name. But yeah, great team, not much flaws, but you might want to try Toxic over HP Ice on Bronzor considering it doesnt hit anything specifically hard (well psychic does almost the same damage). But yeah, keep an eye on Zen Headbutt Munchlax (ya know it!) :]

Edit: #7 on the ladder is still the best, suck it.
Yeah, Psychic and HP Ice basically do the same amount of damge, I agree.
Toxic seems like a good option, I'll definetly try that out.

Luckily, Zen Headbutt's accuracy is BS (ya know it!) :]

And #11 is much better, gtfo.

Gyro Ball probably does more Drillbur than HP Ice, so use that on Bronzor...
Without Payback, Croagunk loses miserably to Gastly. Definitely suggesting you change that.
You should probably use max SpA on Staryu to kill full health Gastly with Hydro Pump all the time.
Good team.
I actually have been thinking about Gyro Ball, my Bronzor has 2 Speed IVs lol
Will test that after I test Toxic.

I never had the need for Payback to be honest, Gastly is an annoyer for sure, but my team can deal with it without much of a problem. Toxic is by far better, shutting down many Pokemon like Stockpile Lileep or Mienfoo.

Never actually had the need for max SpA and that bulk really comes in handy, but I will test it. Thanks a lot man!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Really great team, I think i saw you battling with d4rr3n today, it was a haxy battle lol.

Not much to say, the team has no major flaws, but I agree with charmander that substitute gastly can be a pain in the ass, especially if it's in a team with drilbur. Why? Because substitute gastly can beat all your team members (mienfoo has to rely on the inaccurate stone edge), except for bronzor, which you'll need healthy to deal with other threats (like drilbur) Also, if you put toxic on bronzor you won't need toxic on croagunk too.

Furai

Really great team, I think i saw you battling with d4rr3n today, it was a haxy battle lol.

Not much to say, the team has no major flaws, but I agree with charmander that substitute gastly can be a pain in the ass, especially if it's in a team with drilbur. Why? Because substitute gastly can beat all your team members (mienfoo has to rely on the inaccurate stone edge), except for bronzor, which you'll need healthy to deal with other threats (like drilbur) Also, if you put toxic on bronzor you won't need toxic on croagunk too.
This exactly leads where I'm going to.

I am now using Toxic over HP Ice on Bronzor, because as Darren and Vinc said, Psychic does just a bit less so it's not really worth it.

• With Toxic on Bronzor, I no longer need Toxic on Croagunk, so I am using Taunt instead which would give SubNosis Gastly a harsh time and stops set-up mons.

Thanks a lot again!!

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good lord this team is so hard to beat... you and a few others are the reason I no longer ladder that often.

The only thing I could possibly suggest would be Life Orb on Staryu, which I prefer to Evoilite, but you know the team best.

In any case, thank you for considering me to be a well known LC player, and as always, keep it real.

My Tutor uses this team to train me in LC. He replaced Bronzor with a Natu though as I use a lot of entry hazards.

Furai

Thanks for all the good comments guys! C:

Updated the Peak image in the beginning because I dropped to 1494, but don't worry I'll get it back!

yo you could run shed shell iron defense bronzor to escape balloon/magnet rise magnemite and not losing to drilbur 1v1. aka, not get fucked up by iss's strategy. x)

of course i'm not serious

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
shut up

You are really Drilbur weak, so maybe consider Turtwig over Bronzor? It actually does beat Drilbur, as +2 Rock Slide does nothing lol.

Furai

I just would like to say that my team got featured in the last issue of The Smog, issue number #18!

A small update on the team, probably the last one;
• I am now using Hidden Power [Fighting] over Earthquake on Bronzor. It really only was for Magnemite, and with that I can atleast compete with iss's sandmag team.

Big thanks guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)