Smeargle[QC 0/2]

QC Stamps-
GP Stamps-

Hey guys, Moody is legal

[Overview]

Pros
- It can Learn any move in the game except Chatter and Struggle
- Moody, which makes it very annoying to take out after a couple of boosts.
- 75 Base Speed, outspeeds T-Tar, Metagross and Hitmontop.
- Also Fastest user of Spore

Cons
- Losing Dark Void, one of it's niches in Doubles
- Horrid Defenses and even worse Offenses
- Complete Taunt Bait
- MAJOR 4 MOVESLOT SYNDROME

[SET]
name: Utility Lead
move 1: Spore
move 2: Fake Out
move 3: Helping Hand
move 4: Taunt/Encore
item: Focus Sash/Mental Herb
nature: Timid
ability: Own Tempo
evs: 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

- Again MAJOR 4 MOVESLOT SYNDROME
- Spore is a must for him, as there would be no other reason to use him as other support mons have better defenses
- Fake Out helps in having your ally set up.
- Helping Hand powers up your ally's attack, making it do more damage.
- Taunt can be used to stop apposing set up.
- Encore can be used to trap pokemon like Hitmontop and Cress into a useless attack.
- Focus Sash is desirable, as it has bad defenses
- Mental Herb is a decent alternative, as it allows you to break through Taunt and Encore and spam Spore

[SET]
name: Lv. 1 FEAR
move 1:Trick Room
move 2:Spore
Move 3:Endeavor
move 4:Dragon Rage / Destiny Bond
item: Focus Sash
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 HP/0 Def/ 0 SpD/ 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- To be better than Lv. 1 Whimsicott/Cottonee, need to utilize Spore
- Unless double targeted, will always get a Trick Room up
- Endeavor brings the opponent to low HP, making it easy to take out later/ same turn in Trick Room
- Dragon Rage is to finish the pokemon you Endeavored
- Focus Sash is a must, not surviving any thing at Level 1
- To work, needs team support, a Fake Out lead/ Rage Power or Follow Me Lead along with Smeargle works fine

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- HE CAN DO ANYTHING
- Rage Powder/Follow Me can be used to make all attacks go to Smeargle, increasing support, however his low bulk makes it unreliable, unless you just need 1 turn of set-up
- He could use Tailwind, and he makes a decnet user of Tailwind thanks to Spore.
[Other Options]

- Thuder Wave can be used as a status move, however pokemon like Thundurus and Cresslia can do T-WAve better thanks to Priority or Better bulk
- Will-O-Wisp can be used to spread burn, however pokemon like sabeyle have Priority burns, making even the fastest physical attacker bow down in fear
- Super Fang can be used to cut down pokemon like Cresslia and Metagross

[Checks and Counters]

- Any thing that can hit hard and kill it counters it
- Having a Lum Berry to prevent spore
- Taunt, tho if having a mental herb that could backfire.

Minor thing here: you have Moody in the overview, yet you don't list it as a main option in any of your sets.

I also would like to see Transform mentioned somewhere; when I used Smeargle in '09 (hallway team EDIT: Also in '10 and PBR random WiFi) I could Transform into a big threat while they slept. Might not be main set material, but needs to be mentioned. I also don't think max Speed is necessary; Hitmontop and Metagross don't usually invest in Speed.

and i asked my friend at school about it too

@ lucario yea, i'll test it and see if it works, sounds gimmicky but you have the badge so

@ solace, i need to stop asking my friend about it

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Destiny bond imo seems to be smeargles best move. You d-bond turn 1, and then spore+protect. If they kill smeargle one of em are going down. Also superfang is amazing considering how weak smeargle is. Also get 50% off on a cresselia or anything is a plus.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Destiny Bond only works on the turn it's used, and level 1 Endeavor is better for KOing stuff (although it of course needs a partner), but Super Fang can work. Smeargle has such 4MSS anyway that I'd be hesitant of anything that's not really useful.

I would also mention a Baton Pass set somewhere. I think it goes without saying that Smeeargle is the best baton passer in the game with moody and access to every single boosting move in the game.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would also mention a Baton Pass set somewhere. I think it goes without saying that Smeeargle is the best baton passer in the game with moody and access to every single boosting move in the game.
Baton Pass actually sort of sucks in VGC, since you're getting hit on the switchin and you're not gaining any more boosts from Smeargle. There definitely needs to be a Moody set, with the following things mentioned:

Role Play (two Moody users is pretty ridiculous if you play it right)
Heart Swap
Entrainment (same as Role Play except backwards)

Also Protect and Substitute obviously need to be on the set.

EDIT: The Lv. 1 FEAR set needs to be put into OO. Any decent player will know what's up and use spread moves/double target Smeargle.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Baton Pass actually sort of sucks in VGC, since you're getting hit on the switchin and you're not gaining any more boosts from Smeargle. There definitely needs to be a Moody set, with the following things mentioned:

Role Play (two Moody users is pretty ridiculous if you play it right)
Heart Swap
Entrainment (same as Role Play except backwards)

Also Protect and Substitute obviously need to be on the set.

EDIT: The Lv. 1 FEAR set needs to be put into OO. Any decent player will know what's up and use spread moves/double target Smeargle.
I wouldn't be so sure about the level 1 set... pair it up with a Bronzong with Hypnosis + Trick Room and have Smeargle use Fake Out, you can probably instanty lower the scores to 3-2 assuming a two-turn sleep. Meh but this does pretty much get ruined by virtually any Fake Out/ rain boosted surf but the idea of lowering that score does sound tempting...

Also since it gets everymove in existence I'd suspect it would make a good Imprison user thoughts on this?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Technician is better on the utility lead than Own Tempo, because it powers up Fake Out and confusion is very rare in VCG.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
@ own tempo vs technician: own tempo is definitely better, swagger / confuse ray is more common than getting a ko with fake out

c/p-able edits
changed the spacing, order of moves, added follow me, changed nature to jolly, spd -> spe. follow me definitely deserves to be on the set, especially with a sash. it has too many uses to go unnoticed.

name: Utility Lead
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Spore
move 3: Follow Me / Helping Hand
move 4: Taunt / Encore
item: Focus Sash / Mental Herb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

name: Lv. 1 Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Spore
Move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Destiny Bond / Extremespeed
item: Focus Sash
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe

espeed is better than dragon rage because it is +2 priority, so any other priority will be outsped. mention detect in OO, imprison + any 3 moves that give your team trouble in OO, and that ridiculous moody BP set too i guess (even though the match will probably end before you start passing).

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i really like lucariojr's transform thing at least mentioned in oo, its gimmicky but i think it deserves a mention

transform's fun to use so that you have two strong attackers on your side of the field, as people expect something like a spore smeargle and tend to protect the first turn against it.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
The author of this analysis plagiarized content on another one of his analyses, which is absolutely unacceptable behavior. He has been banned from this subforum for an unspecified amount of time. This analysis is now open for reservation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)