Super Offensive VGC team, you blink you lose!

Team From a Glance

Weavile@Focus Sash
Pressure
Jolly
4HP/252Atk/252Speed
Ice Shard
Fake Out
Night Slash
Protect​

One of my favorite Pokemon, once I saw the rise in popularity I snapped at the opportunity of finally being able to be successful with a Pokemon I actually enjoyed (Zororark was pretty bleh last year).I don't like running Low Kick on this guy, so I replaced it for Night Slash to take care of annoying Cresselias. Ice Shard over Ice Punch because on PO I've encountered so many times when I've wanted to hit something with a priority move, but then couldn't and lost. This guy take pretty good care of Jumpluff a big guy this year. Jolly Weavile obtains the fastest Fake Out in the VGC12 Metagame (Adamant speed-ties with Jolly Ambipom, another favorite).

Zapdos@Charti Berry
Pressure
Modest
140HP/252SpAtk/116Speed
Discharge
Heat Wave
Hidden Power[Ice]
Protect​

Zapdos' build allows it to be really fast, but really bulky, and no expense of SpAtk. This is a deadly combo, of course. And paired with Garchomp they make the famous Earthquake-Discharge Zapchomp! Heat Wave is for stupid Abomasnows trying to kill my buzz with Blizzard. HP Ice is to hit other Zapdos' (or would it be Zapti?) and Dragons.​

Garchomp@Yache Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly
4HP/252Atk/252Speed
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw
Protect​

The guy that managed to make it to Ubers, good job bro. Earthquake doesn't hit Latios or Zapdos and Rock Slide hit's annoying Abomasnows hard, just incase they're sashed. Dragon Claw is for Stab.​

Metagross@Occa Berry
Clear Body
Adamant
252HP/252Atk/4Speed
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Protect​

One of Latios' best teammates. Clear Body prevents me from losing attack from Krookodile or Hitmontops. Meteor Mash is for a powerful STAB move while Bullet Punch is to finish off the low HP mons. Earthquake doesn't hit Latios but still does major damage.​

Tornadus@Flight Gem
Prankster
Jolly
4HP/252Atk/252Speed
Acrobatics
Taunt
Tailwind
Substitute​

What do I have to say about Flight gem acrobatics? It's good as good gets! Hammer Arm hits Steel types with the cost of -1 speed. Taunt stops taunters and tailwind and trick room with +1 priority.

Gengar@Life Orb
Levitate
Modest
252SpAtk/4SpDef/252Speed
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power[Fire]
Protect​

I haven't actually play tested Gengar into this team yet, but I thought about it and it seems like it could work well. However this guy is hurt a lot more when hit by a Sucker Punch. Shadow Ball with a Modest nature does about 82% to Cresselia with a Life Orb so that's always nice since I hate Cresselia with a passion. Thunderbolt+HP Fire gain great coverage for the VGC12 Metagame.

This could possibly be my team for VGC 2012, here as some common teams and how I would counter them.​

Threat list of common teams and combinations
*by muffinhead

Rain teams

What I use: Tornadus/Garchomp/Metagross/Gengar​

How I'd Start the Match: I'd start by double protecting with Tornadus and Garchomp, and I'd Flight Gem Acrobatics Ludicolo for the OHKO after it Ice Beams my Yache Garchomp. My Garchomp would then Dragon claw doing roughly 50% to Politoed. The player would most likely double target Garchomp with Ice beam and KO me.​

Sun teams

What I use:Weavile/Gengar/Zapdos/Garchomp​

How I'd Start the Match: They got some good options on what they could lead with, but I'd probably stay with a Weavile Gengar lead everytime I see a sun team. If they lead Ninetails and Jumpluff I'd Fake out Jumpluff as I set Hidden Power fire it at the same time, brining Jumpluff down to a slender 30-20%. I'd then finish off Jumpluff with an Ice Shard and Shadow Ball with Gengar against Ninetails.​

Sand teams

What I use: Weavile/Garchomp/Gengar/Tornadus​

How I'd Start the Match: With Sand teams I'm going to need lots of Earthquake resistance. Anyway, They'd probably lead Cress Zapdos, and I'd Fake out Zapdos and Rock Slide with Garchomp. The fake that Cress is so darn versitile makes it hard for me to expect what they do next, but I'd probably Dragon Claw and Night Slash it to ensure a KO.

Hail teams

What I use:Weavile/Tornadus/Weavile/Metagross​

How I'd Start the Match: Against a common Abomasnow/Infernape lead, Weavile and Tornadus counter it pretty hard. First turn I'd fake out Infernape and Flight Gem Acrobatics Abomasnow bringing him down to his sash. Abomasnow would probably Blizzard, KOing Tornadus. Next turn I'd send out Latios, Ice Shard Abomasnow out of the game and Psyshock Infernape.​

Tailwind

What I use: Weavile/Tornadus/Zapdos/Garchomp​

How I'd Start the Match: So for the Hitmontop Tornadus lead, I'd lead Weavile Tornadus. I'd start by Faking out Tornadus with Weavile and attempting to Taunt Tornadus, but would probably be Fake Out'd by Hitmontop. So next turn I'd turn it around and Hope to break the speed tie and Taunt Tornadus, at the same time I'd Ice Shard with Weavile, trying to take Tornadus out as fast as possible to get the team out of system.​

Trick Room

What I use: Weavile/Tornadus/Gengar/Metagross​

How I'd Start the Match: Well the main thing you have to thing about when going against a Trick Room team is focusing on getting them out of system. A Trick Room team without Trick Room is bound to fail. In accordance to a standard Hariyama Cresselia lead, I'd lead Weavile Tornadus. Weavile Fake Outs Hariyama as Cresselia get's crippled so hard by priority Taunt Tornadus, however, if they have a mental herb I'm screwed and I have to try and stall out TR as much as possible. But if they don't, next turn I can hit Cresselia hard with a Night Slash from Weavile (3HKO) and OHKO Hariyama with Flight Gem Acrobatics putting me up 4-3. From there they'd either​

• Send out Dusknoir and attempt to set up Trick Room again, but then I'd Priority Taunt Dusknoir and hit Cress with Weavile and I'd eventually just 2-3 hit KO everything.
  • Send out Rhyperior and attempt to force an offensive momentum. In this case I'd hit Rhyperior with a Low Kick and Cresselia with an Acrobatics.

I've found that when people use Tornadus to set up Tailwind I find myself in a position where if I win the speed-tie then I'm fine if I don't then they have a pretty strong advantage. Unlike my best friend Kid Kadabra, I don't like relying on hax so I'm stuck in a sticky situation. I'm not really sure what'd I'd do so It'd be good to let me know how I could counter a standard Hitmontop Tornadus lead of a Tailwind team when leading with Tornadus Weavile. I was thinking maaaybe this:

Fake out Hitmontop as I Substitute with Tornadus. Tornadus sets up Tailwind. Next turn I set up Tailwind with Tornadus as I Ice Shard their Tornadus. It doesn't really counter it, it just puts us on an even playing field, but for one turn of the battle I'll have a higher speed than them. Lemme know some other strategies for Countering Tornadus Hitmontop leads.

Thanks for reading my VGC RMT, I hope to see tons of people this year, my friend and I will be attending the Pleasanton Regionals in April.​

I might recommend putting tailwind rather then taunt on Tornadus so that you can have Prankster on it. In the case of your Latios, Tailwind seems more situational. You seem to understand the teams weakness to hail, but not how truly bad that is. A scarfed Abomasnow might be able to mop your floor.... The constant high speeds look like they would be a nuisance to you opponents

I might recommend putting tailwind rather then taunt on Tornadus so that you can have Prankster on it. In the case of your Latios, Tailwind seems more situational.
But my Tornadus' Taunt is my only counter to Tailwind and Trick Room teams

your team is very good, i think you should run hp fire over tailwind on latios for more coverage and to check ferrothorn, you have already tornadus fot tailwind and i think is enought, expecially because the double battles are fast

try it, i think is a good team and maybe i will copy it xD. without joking, i've heard about a strategy with zapdos, gengar, garchomp and metagross but i don't know how it works.

try it, i think is a good team and maybe i will copy it xD. without joking, i've heard about a strategy with zapdos, gengar, garchomp and metagross but i don't know how it works.

Well running Zapdos alongside Garchomp is for obvious reasons, Garchomp can Earthquake without hitting Zapdos and Zapdos can use Discharge without harming Garchomp. I would suspect that Gengar and Metagross could be added to this because Gengar is immune to Earthquake and Metagross is a strong bulky pokemon that get's earthquake, but I've never heard of Gengar and Metagross included in the "Zapchomp" set I'll have to lurk for that though.

maybe try a timid nature over modest for gengar, it risks to be too slow and then outspeeded. the rest is pretty good, i don't see anything wrong, good job saboros!

maybe try a timid nature over modest for gengar, it risks to be too slow and then outspeeded. the rest is pretty good, i don't see anything wrong, good job saboros!
Yah I guess I'm fine with Timid, I just hate doing less damage to Cress, I just wish I could hear some feedback from other people as well. Then once I'm done with the team building process, I can send you on an RNG expedition :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)