move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Nature Power
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shiftry, at first, may seem outclassed by Absol, but if one looks closely, they will see that Shiftry has better bulk, better typing, and a better movepool.
-Amazing late game sweeper
-Set up a Swords Dance, and tun through the rest of the team with other moves.
-Seed Bomb is a powerful STAB
-Sucker Punch is a powerful STAB that can hit faster stuff
-Nature Power (EQ) for type coverage.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-Life Orb gives the power boost
-Adamant for more power
-Stantard EV spread
-Either ability is cool
-Teammates: Bulky waters like Lanturn and Alomomola.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
-I'll add later

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-Works well in sun
-Teammates: Pokemon that set up sunny day

[Other Options]
-Night Slash
-Low Kick
-Sunny Day
-Substitute
-Growth!
-Energy Ball / Grass Knot

[Checks and Counters]
-Bulky Fighting-types like Throw
-Priority
-Scarfed Pokemon
-Cacturne

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Jolly Absol is non-existent, you want to Sucker Punch Braviary anyway, Kingler is nearly exclusively Adamant and Drifblim is rare and the only move that hits it is Sucker Punch.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone think a mixed Growth set is viable for its own set? In the sun it is by far the best set as it can bypass many walls, unfortunately when the sun runs out it can be revenge killed. Also, Shiftry could run a choice set maybe band or specs.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This needs more mention of Sun abuse IMO. There are better Grass-types and better Dark-types in the tier, and a better Grass/Dark-type as well. But there aren't any Sun abusers better than Shiftry. I was expecting to see a dedicated Growth set and/or a dedicated Sunny Day set. Especially with Sunny Day/U-Turn Mesprit being so easy to pull off.

I for one would definitely like to see a Growth set of some sort, doesn't have to be mixed, but w/e

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This needs more mention of Sun abuse IMO. There are better Grass-types and better Dark-types in the tier, and a better Grass/Dark-type as well. But there aren't any Sun abusers better than Shiftry. I was expecting to see a dedicated Growth set and/or a dedicated Sunny Day set. Especially with Sunny Day/U-Turn Mesprit being so easy to pull off.
I agree. Shiftry can go mixed really well especially in sun, when you consider that you don't need too much investment to outrun scarf Rotom-S in sun. I don't really have specifics, but Shiftry definitely needs some kind of sun abuse set.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
What exactly do you gain from going mixed, though?

Swords Dance definitely isn't outclassed by Cacturne because of the better Speed and access to Earthquake.

Maybe a mention of Hp Ground on the NP set? Losing a speed IV kinda sucks, and the loss in coverage is pretty much negligible.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Agreeing with Ice-Eyes, you should be focusing on one or the other FOR NOW. If, when the metagame changes, Sun teams become popular, I would agree Growth would be good because then you can abuse a set of Growth/Solar Beam/Sucker Punch/Earthquake to wreck things that want to abuse Sun. As it stands, I think Growth is OO.

Edit: If you prove its a good set eventually, you can always write it up as a separate set analysis and it can be added that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)