Vigoroth (GP 3/3)

I'M THE BULKIEST IN NU. http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/288.shtml

[Overview]

<p>While some people prefer direct, massive power at the risk of losing a turn, others prefer a reliable attacker with multiple options. Vigoroth is one of those Pokemon, having a nice base 80 stat in HP, Attack and Defense. Coupled with its decent base 90 Speed, Vigoroth becomes a powerful and bulky Pokémon that can take on multiple roles. Its Vital Spirit ability allows it to effortlessly slam down on the battlefield against sleep inducers and due to being NFE, Vigoroth becomes extremely bulky with Eviolite, especially physically. It has a nice physical movepool with a lot of options to choose from as well.</p>

<p>However, Vigoroth has its drawbacks, like every other Pokemon. Vigoroth's base 55 Special Attack makes its amazing special movepool of no use and even with Eviolite, its disappointing base 55 Special Defense can’t withstand many special attacks. Do not be fooled by this hyperactive monkey, however, as underestimating its paired power and bulk may lead you to your own demise.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Return / Body Slam
move 3: Earthquake / Brick Break
move 4: Sucker Punch / Taunt / Slack Off
item: Eviolite
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to set up and dish out attacks after setup. Bulk Up is the main move of the set, raising Vigoroth's Attack and Defense to great heights after a few uses of the move. Return is a reliable and very powerful STAB, but if Speed is that big of an issue, you can run Body Slam to potentially paralyze and outspeed foes. Earthquake is a powerful move that hits Rock- and Steel-types, who resist Return, for heavy damage. The same can be done by using Brick Break, but as a neutral Return is more powerful than a 2x super effective Brick Break, Earthquake is the better choice. However, you can use Brick Break in tandem with Body Slam to make up for the power loss. The last slot is a filler move. Sucker Punch hits Ghost-types, as they are immune to Return, Body Slam and Brick Break, but you can option to use Taunt or Slack Off if you go with Earthquake. Taunt allows for easy setup against walls, while Slack Off gives Vigoroth reliable recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Night Slash is available for a more reliable move to hit Ghost-types with, but priority is handy as Vigoroth is not very fast. The EVs are put into HP for attaining great bulk and Attack with an Adamant nature to achieve maximum power. The attacking move from slot 3 usually goes with one in slot 4. If you're running Brick Break, go for Sucker Punch to prevent Ghosts from walling Vigoroth. If you choose Earthquake, you could go with Taunt or Slack Off, since Vigoroth can hit all Ghost-type Pokemon aside from Haunter, Misdreavus, and Drifblim with Earthquake. Ghost-types are great partners for this Vigoroth to take Fighting-type hits, so Haunter definitely gets a mention for impunily coming in on Fighting-type moves and inflicting heavy damage on opponents with its powerful STAB Sludge Bomb. Misdreavus is another Ghost-type you can use; however, Misdreavus is much bulkier than Haunter, and therefore plays differently. Misdreavus uses its bulk to slowly drain the opposing Fighting-types health instead. Psychic-types like Mesprit can also take on Fighting-types very well and have the advantage of being much more bulky than the fragile Haunter. Mesprit can force Fighting-types to switch with its strong STAB Psychic and even set up on them, then sweep with Calm Mind, clearing the road for Vigoroth. Gardevoir can set up dual screens to give Vigoroth better Special Defense and seriously high Defense, while also sporting a very high Attack after a few Bulk Ups. Weezing's high Defense allows it to effortlessly come in on Fighting-type moves and burn opposing Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp, while Alomomola can do the same with its decent Defense and monstrous HP, but with Scald. Vigoroth appreciates all entry hazards it can get with this set, to net necessary KOs against most Pokemon after a boost or two, so Garbodor is a good partner for setting up Spikes and Toxic Spikes.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute + Encore
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Encore
move 3: Return/Focus Punch
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Eviolite
nature: Jolly
evs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is more defensively oriented, using Substitute to make Vigoroth an annoying Pokemon to break down when used in conjunction with Encore. Encore shuts opposing walls down and allows Vigoroth to easily wear them down with its attacking moves. Return serves as a powerful STAB move, but Focus Punch can be perfectly utilized behind a Substitute and during a successful Encore; it also gives you completely unresisted coverage in NU. Lastly, Sucker Punch allows Vigoroth to hit Ghost-types hard, as Return and Focus Punch cannot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The 16 EVs in HP allow Vigoroth to retain a reasonable amount of HP. Speed should be maximized to have the opportunity to hit first, along with the remaining 240 EVs in Attack to have sufficient power. Additionally, Focus Punch and Sucker Punch have completely unresisted coverage in the NU tier and Focus Punch has nearly the same power as Return, so it's really a matter of preference. Night Slash is a safer option, but you'll lose out on some power and speed as compared to Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>On this set, Psychic-types such as Mesprit are great partners, since Vigoroth can have a difficult time against the likes of Sawk and Throh, and Mesprit can easily come in on a Fighting-type move using its 105 defenses. Mesprit can set up using a SubCM set to clear the way for Vigoroth and Gardevoir can set up dual screens to give Vigoroth more durability. Haunter can also come in on a Fighting-type move, but most beware of any other physical move, since Haunter's defenses are paper-thin. Another alternative is the bulkier and more defensive Misdreavus. Other Pokemon that can take Fighting-type moves well are Alomomola, with its high Defense and ability to burn with Scald, and Weezing, who can burn those Fighting-types with Will-O-Wisp and attack back with Sludge Bomb. Entry hazards are a Vigoroth's friend, especially Toxic Spikes, for whittling down its foes even more quickly. If Vigoroth lacks Focus Punch, Steel-types can wall it to no end. Fighting-type Pokemon, like Sawk and Gurdurr, come in handy here. Garbodor fulfills the duty as a Spiker, also being able to come in on Fighting-type moves with its Poison-type.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>You can run a Choice Band set, but Vigoroth is very frail without Eviolite and Vigoroth’s Attack is also a bit low for utilizing a Choice Band, so it’s not recommended. The same goes for Choice Scarf, as Vigoroth's Attack is too low for a potential set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Haunter can completely shut the Bulk Up Attacker set down if it lacks Sucker Punch, since Haunter is immune to Earthquake courtesy of Levitate. Haunter must be very wary of Sucker Punch, however, and it usually means the bane for the poisonous phantom. Misdreavus can PP stall Sucker Punch and completely wear it down using a combination of Toxic / Will-O-Wisp and Protect. Bastiodon is an amazing counter to Vigoroth as it sports a double resistance to Return and Body Slam and takes little damage from Sucker Punch, but it’s extremely susceptible to Brick Break, Focus Punch and Earthquake. Lairon can do the exact same and even hit back using its base 90 Attack, but it has the same susceptibility to the aforementioned moves. Cottonee also has its chances, as it can use Cotton Guard to raise its Defense to staggering heights and Toxic Vigoroth to slowly wear it down. The only thing Vigoroth can do in return is potentially Taunting Cottonee.</p>

breh

強いだね
I realize that this is a WIP, but I'd like to see this take a more defensive route.

Vigoroth's Defenses are likenable to those of Deo-D (using 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD Impish vs. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Impish Deo-D):

Deo-D's defense score: 139840
Vigoroth's defese score: 139958
Deo-D's special defese score: 108528
Vigoroth's special defense score: 94458

as you can see, it's really goddamn bulky. In the past, I played a set like Slack Off/Taunt/Return/Toxic; even though it was with my worse team, it was still awfully annoying. Even better is it's something that Miltank can't do.

Yea, I know its not GP, but Vital Spirit, not Vital Speed.

Anyways, this set was somewhat successful last gen in NU, but with Eviolite I'm pretty sure it would be even better:

Set name: Sub + Encore
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Encore
Move 3: Return/ Focus Punch
Move 4: Sucker Punch
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 16 HP/ 240 Atk/ 252 Spe

EVs might need a little tweaking of course, but it could be annoying as all hell

I realize that this is a WIP, but I'd like to see this take a more defensive route.

Vigoroth's Defenses are likenable to those of Deo-D (using 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD Impish vs. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Impish Deo-D):

Deo-D's defense score: 139840
Vigoroth's defese score: 139958
Deo-D's special defese score: 108528
Vigoroth's special defense score: 94458

as you can see, it's really goddamn bulky. In the past, I played a set like Slack Off/Taunt/Return/Toxic; even though it was with my worse team, it was still awfully annoying. Even better is it's something that Miltank can't do.
I'll put this into a set, thank you!

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I tried Eviolite Vigoroth once with Taunt / Encore / Return / Slack Off. It really trolled set up users once you encore them into their boosting move and then taunt them to force them to struggle. Maybe mention the combination of Taunt & Encore in Other Options or in Additional Comments of the SubEncore set.

I tried Eviolite Vigoroth once with Taunt / Encore / Return / Slack Off. It really trolled set up users once you encore them into their boosting move and then taunt them to force them to struggle. Maybe mention the combination of Taunt & Encore in Other Options or in Additional Comments of the SubEncore set.
Will do. Thank you.

Haunter really have a field day on Vigoroth, being immune to Toxic+Normal+Fighting, and can sub up to avoid getting KOed by Sucker Punch (if you aren't running sub on Haunter, then you're doing it wrong imo). Not sure how much other people run Haunter (I use it fairly often personally), but I'd say it's worth a mention in C&C for basically being a near 100% safe switch.

I'm going to have to say no to the last set, it looks terrible and is walled by basically any Ghost-type with Substitute - Haunter walls it regardless.

Remove the last set, add Slack Off to the AC of the second set, and you can consider this

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I actually think the last set looks surprisingly good. Remember that you can Taunt any Ghosts, or just Toxic them as they come in. Yes, it's completely shut down by Haunter, but that never stopped Gliscor.

Another nitpick, this is in Copyediting now. You can change the prefix the same way as the title, just go to the drop-down to the left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)