Serperior (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ze smuglord

[Overview]

<p>Despite his regal appearance, Serperior is anything but out of the ordinary. With a sparse offensive movepool, Serperior has only a few qualities that allow him to stand out when compared to other Grass-types. Thanks to a great base 113 Speed, Serperior is naturally faster than the entire tier, sans Ninjask, Swellow, and Cinccino. Serperior has a plethora of support options available, including dual screens, Glare, Leech Seed, Taunt, and Safeguard. Additionally, Serperior has admirable 75 / 95 / 95 defenses, allowing him to easily set up one of his boosting moves or Leech Seed safely from behind a Substitute.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSeed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Taunt
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>All of Serperior's strengths flow together nicely in this set—his great Speed, solid defenses, and access to Taunt all enable him to be an effective user of the SubSeed combination. The strategy is fairly simple: switch in to a Pokemon that Serperior scares out, such as Golem, Quagsire, or Alomomola, and set up a Substitute. From there, you can Leech Seed the switch-in and alternate between Substitute and the appropriate attacking move until Serperior scores a KO. Serperior is the fastest available user of this strategy in NU, sans Prankster Cottonee and Chlorophyll Jumpluff in the sun. Giga Drain gives Serperior a STAB move and provides extra recovery, if necessary. Hidden Power Fire is the preferred option for the fourth slot, as it nails the many Grass-types, who are immune to Leech Seed, for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire also has solid coverage with Giga Drain, hitting Bug- and Steel-types that resist Giga Drain for heavy damage. Taunt, on the other hand, prevents opposing Pokemon from using a status move on Serperior, or a recovery move such as Wish. It also blocks any attempts to phaze Serperior via Roar or Whirlwind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 196 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Serperior outspeeds positive natured base 105 Speed foes, such as Kadabra and Electabuzz. The rest of the EVs are invested into HP and Defense, primarily because the majority of Pokemon Serperior will be setting Substitutes up on are physical attackers. If you are using Taunt instead of Hidden Power Fire, you may shift 4 EVs over from Speed to Defense because they are no longer needed to make up for the imperfect Speed IV. Serperior's EV spread can certainly be customized to fit your team's needs. 232 Speed EVs can be used to outpace base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros; alternatively, a bulkier spread such as 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD can prevent Lickilicky from breaking Serperior's Substitutes more than half the time. If you want to maximize Leech Seed recovery, you can use 0 HP EVs and a 0 HP IV, but that drastically cuts into Serperior's bulk and is not recommended.</p>

<p>Because this set is designed to force switches, it performs significantly better when coupled with entry hazards. Stealth Rock in particular quickly wears down Swellow and Braviary, two of the greatest threats to Serperior, so teammates such as Regirock and Golem, who can handle the two birds and set up Stealth Rock, are solid partners. Both Toxic Spikes and Spikes support are beneficial, but there are few Pokemon who can lay them. Garbodor is the best option available, as it has the ability to set up both hazards and absorb opposing Toxic Spikes, which will devastate Serperior. Lastly, Pokemon such as Magmortar, who can mutilate opposing Grass-types, will make Serperior's life much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute + Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
evs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior can use his solid bulk and great Speed to set up a Substitute on Pokemon such as Quagsire, then proceed to comfortably boost his Special Attack and Special Defense with Calm Mind. Even with Serperior's initially mediocre offensive prowess, his power increases dramatically after a boost or two, and his Substitutes become nearly unbreakable from the special side. Giga Drain is the preferred STAB move, as it quickly recovers health lost from Substitute. Hidden Power Rock provides the best coverage with Giga Drain, as it hits Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon super effectively, and the majority of Steel-type Pokemon in NU are neutral to Grass-type moves. The decision between Leftovers and Life Orb is mostly a matter of reliability versus power; when using Leftovers, Serperior recovers a small amount of HP each turn behind his Substitute, while Life Orb allows him to hit much harder off the bat. However, it must be noted that Substitute and Life Orb will wear down quickly on Serperior, emphasizing the need for Giga Drain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread, along with a Timid nature, allows Serperior to outrun base 105 Speed Pokemon, which is the lowest Serperior dares to go without losing the advantage of his high Speed stat, and provides Serperior with maximum Special Attack EVs so that he can pose as a threat even without several boosts. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP to make the most out of his decent bulk. If outspeeding faster threats is a necessity, Serperior can run 232 Speed EVs to get the edge on base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros and Jumpluff. A bulkier EV spread is an option, but Serperior will not often find the time to set up and sweep this way, as Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon, such as Magmortar and Swellow, are far too common for Serperior to boost up for too long. Hidden Power Fire is an option over Hidden Power Rock to hit Grass-types, but Serperior should simply set up Calm Mind on opposing Grass-types, rather than worry about them.</p>

<p>Although Hidden Power Rock helps Serperior out against Braviary and Swellow, a partner who can handle their powerful onslaughts would be incredibly useful. Regirock, Golem, and Alomomola all have no trouble dealing with the two birds, and all three have their own perks to help Serperior out: the former two can set up Stealth Rock, severely cutting the lifespan of Swellow, Braviary, and Magmortar, whereas Alomomola can pass monstrous Wishes to Serperior to make up for his lack of reliable recovery. Offensively, partners such as Cinccino, Swellow, and Gigalith, who lure bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that Serperior can set up, on are superb. Swellow in particular can U-turn away from incoming counters, giving Serperior a free switch-in. Serperior is incredibly vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, so carrying a Poison-type of your own or a Rapid Spin user is important for Serperior to be successful. Garbodor can set Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help Serperior wear out opposing special walls, and Wartortle has solid defensive synergy and can spin away entry hazards reliably.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Giga Drain / Leech Seed
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior is one of the fastest users of dual screens in NU, and when coupled with Taunt and his good bulk, Serperior makes for an excellent support Pokemon to aid a teammate's setup or sweep. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from trying to set up or Taunt Serperior while he is putting up Reflect and Light Screen. It also prevents the opponent from using a status move on Serperior or the incoming sweeper, which can often lead to a clean sweep. Giga Drain provides Serperior with a reliable STAB move and recovery, while Leech Seed steals opposing Pokemon's health and can be passed to a teammate. Light Clay is the preferred item, as it gives Reflect and Light Screen eight turns of longevity as opposed to the usual five.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>192 Speed EVs allow Serperior to outspeed base 105 Speed Pokemon, and the rest is invested into Serperior's bulk so that he can last long enough to set up dual screens several times, if necessary. Glare is an interesting option, as nearly every Pokemon benefits from Serperior's ability to spread paralysis. Safeguard is also neat to block status from moves such as Scald, but Taunt accomplishes this and also prevents phazing.</p>

<p>The best teammates for this set are powerful sweepers who preferably can utilize a boosting move such as Swords Dance, Rock Polish, or Shell Smash and proceed to sweep the opponent's team. Shell Smash Gorebyss is perhaps the most prominent option, as it can ravage entire teams after a boost or two, and none of its usual checks manage to OHKO Gorebyss behind dual screens. Gorebyss also has solid typing synergy with Serperior, switching in on the Fire-types (sans Magmortar, who usually carries Thunderbolt) that bother Serperior. Rock Polish Torterra is an outstanding choice, as it couples great power and coverage with natural bulk. A boosted Torterra also outspeeds and demolishes Choice Scarf Braviary and Swellow; both can 2HKO Serperior through Reflect with Brave Bird. Another excellent option is Swords Dance Absol, who becomes monstrously strong after a boost and has access to a powerful Sucker Punch to defeat faster opponents.</p>

[SET]
name: Coil
move 1: Coil
move 3: Leaf Blade
move 4: Dragon Tail
nature: Adamant / Impish
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite a physical movepool consisting of largely Grass- and Normal-type moves, Coil is a surprisingly effective move on Serperior. The overall strategy of this set is largely the same as the others: switch in on a Pokemon whom Serperior threatens, such as Golem or Alomomola, set up a Substitute, then proceed to stack boosts with Coil. Although the Attack boost is important, the Defense and accuracy boosts provided by Coil are even more vital to the success of this set: the former makes Serperior's Substitute nearly unbreakable by a physical move after a few uses, and the latter erases Dragon Tail's 10% chance to miss. Leaf Blade is Serperior's best physical STAB option, but Dragon Tail is the key attacking move on this set; because Serperior is naturally faster than all common phazers, he can use Dragon Tail to phaze them before they can attempt to do so. It also helps Serperior handle Pokemon who can break his Substitutes, such as Swellow, by forcing them out, allowing Serperior to set up another Substitute and continue to rack up entry hazard damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In order to make Serperior's attacks as powerful as possible, maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are preferred on this set. 224 Speed EVs and a neutral nature allow Serperior to outpace base 90 Speed Pokemon, most notably Jynx. The rest of Serperior's EVs are placed in HP to maximize overall bulk. An Impish nature can be used instead of Adamant to make Serperior's Substitutes much harder to break with physical moves; for example, uninvested Regirock's Stone Edge will more often than not fail to break +1 Serperior's Substitute, and Miltank's Body Slam will never break it. A specially defensive spread is also an option if hitting hard off the bat isn't a concern, but most special attackers in the tier carry a move that hits Serperior super effectively.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are crucial to the success of this set, especially Stealth Rock. Most of Serperior's checks, such as Braviary and Magmortar, are weak to Stealth Rock, so the ability to phaze them out via Dragon Tail and force them to take 25% on the return to the battlefield is a godsend for Serperior. Regirock is one of the best possible teammates, as it can set up Stealth Rock, paralyze potential threats with Thunder Wave, and handle Braviary and Swellow easily. In return, Serperior sets up on the bulky waters that plague Regirock, such as Alomomola. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also incredibly helpful, as they help wear down grounded counters, including Tangela and Leafeon. Garbodor is the best available user of both moves in the tier, and also removes pesky Toxic Spikes that can mean the end of a Serperior sweep. Magmortar is one of the best responses to the aforementioned bulky Grass-types, as it is immune to Tangela's Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit and can OHKO both with Fire Blast.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Serperior has few other options outside of those listed. He gets Glare, which is an interesting move in its own right, but there are more reliable Pokemon to spread paralysis. Gastro Acid is useful to cripple Pokemon who rely entirely on their ability, such as Swellow, but the effect ends as the opposing Pokemon switches out and thus is hardly ever worth the moveslot. Serperior can set up Sunny Day for other Chlorophyll-abusing teammates, but cannot make use of it himself. Additionally, Serperior's Grass typing is redundant with most Chlorophyll Pokemon, compounding common weaknesses. Safeguard blocks status, but Taunt is usually superior as it also prevents phazing and setup. Torment is a curious option, but Serperior doesn't have the typing and resistances to use it effectively. Aromatherapy removes all status afflictions from the team, but this is a job better left to the likes of Lickilicky. Leaf Storm is Serperior's most powerful attack, but the Special Attack drop makes it generally a bad idea, especially considering Serperior's already low Special Attack stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank has no problem switching in on the majority of Serperior's sets, as it has Sap Sipper to absorb Grass-type moves and can consistently break Serperior's Substitutes with Seismic Toss or Body Slam. Opposing Grass-types, such as Leafeon and Amoonguss, can handle the SubSeed set well unless Serperior is using Hidden Power Fire. Likewise, Duosion and Kadabra are not affected by Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard, and both can set up Calm Mind. Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary both outspeed Serperior and can break his Substitutes with U-turn or simply KO with Brave Bird. Toxic Spikes deals with all Serperior sets fairly well, as most revolve around Serperior utilizing Substitute to avoid status. Garbodor and Whirlipede are two of the few Toxic Spikes users in the tier, and both can easily switch into Serperior's Grass-type moves.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Serperior's Dream World ability, Contrary, inverts stat changes, making stat drops become boosts and vice versa. Leaf Storm is the only move that Serperior receives that lowers his stats, but effectively receiving +2 on every use of Leaf Storm quickly adds up, making Serperior a dangerous sweeper.</p>

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Coil seems really interesting... maybe even worthy of a set!
I've had mixed opinions about it, namely the fact that it gets shit coverage and is still wrecked by most common switch-ins (though you can always Dragon Tail them back into SR). It's sometimes been superb for me but often not. I'm leaning towards simply an OO mention. You're welcome to test it if you want, though.

breh

強いだね
I may be alone in saying this, but IMO CM should go first. It sets up and then you don't kill it. I've faced it only once, but the top two sets are basically "hey cryogonal come on in and rapid spin in my face". CM is kind of like Lillligant - it's goddamn fast and it's actually kind of strong post boost.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Swoobat set aims to outspeed base 105's and Swoobat has basically the same speed tier as Serperior. Furthermore, Serperior beats Jumpluff anyways if you have something asleep, so maybe 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe should be the primary EV spread for consistency?

jake

underdog of the year
I may be alone in saying this, but IMO CM should go first. It sets up and then you don't kill it. I've faced it only once, but the top two sets are basically "hey cryogonal come on in and rapid spin in my face". CM is kind of like Lillligant - it's goddamn fast and it's actually kind of strong post boost.
I would certainly agree, though I was interested in the opinions of the other QC members on the topic. If there's no opposition, I definitely will change it.

The Swoobat set aims to outspeed base 105's and Swoobat has basically the same speed tier as Serperior. Furthermore, Serperior beats Jumpluff anyways if you have something asleep, so maybe 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe should be the primary EV spread for consistency?
I'd like to see what everyone else thinks first, but I'll have no problem doing that.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to test CM, if its really good it'll go first. I agree with having the sets with Taunt outspeed 105's rather than 110's, Jumpluff isn't common enough to warrant it. Just add the 110 spread to ac.

jake

underdog of the year
I'm going to test CM, if its really good it'll go first. I agree with having the sets with Taunt outspeed 105's rather than 110's, Jumpluff isn't common enough to warrant it. Just add the 110 spread to ac.
Updated.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
SubCM and Dual Screens should be switched

BALL SO HARD MOTHAFUCKAS WANNA FINE ME

oi, just thought I'd try to vouch for Coil. I was playing it pre-tier shift, and it was doing some werk, so I'd imagine it would a good deal better w/out Klinklang and Scolli there to mess around with it. I was playing a faster spread (I was using max speed+jolly, since scolli was still around, but I guess the 64/252/192 spread works now) w/Coil/Leaf Blade/Return/(Taunt/Light Screen), if you feel it's worth looking into.

Yea, we discussed Coil on IRC, add it to the OP please!

[SET]
name: SubCoil
evs: w/e prolly enough to outspeed base 90s or something

[Overview]

<p>Despite his regal appearance, Serperior is anything but out of the ordinary. With a sparse offensive movepool, Serperior has only a few qualities that allow him to stand out when compared to other Grass-types. Thanks to a great base 113 Speed, Serperior is naturally faster than most ofthe entire tier, sans Ninjask, Swellow, and Cinccino. Serperior has a plethora of support options available, including dual screens, Glare, Leech Seed, Taunt, and Safeguard. Additionally, Serperior also has admirable 75/95/95 / 95 / 95 defenses, allowing him to easily set up one of his boosting moves or Leech Seed safely from behind a Substitute.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>All of Serperior's strengths flow together nicely in this set—his great Speed, solid defenses, and access to Taunt all provenable Serperior to be an effective SubSeederuser of the SubSeed combination. The strategy is fairly simple: switch in to a Pokemon that Serperior scares out, such as Golem, Quagsire, or Alomomola, and set up a Substitute. From there, you can Leech Seed the switch-in and alternate between Substitute and the appropriate attacking move until Serperior scores a KO. Serperior is the fastest available user of this strategy in NU, sans Prankster Cottonee and Chlorophyll Jumpluff in the sun. Giga Drain gives Serperior a STAB move and provides extra recovery, if necessary. Hidden Power Fire is the preferred option for the fourth slot, as it nails the abundance ofmany Grass-types, who are immune to Leech Seed, for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire also has solid coverage with Giga Drain, hitting Bug- and Steel-types that resist Giga Drain for heavy damage. Taunt, on the other hand, prevents opposing Pokemon from using a status move on Serperior, or a recovery move such as Wish. It also blocks any attempts to phaze Serperior via Roar or Whirlwind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 196 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Serperior outspeeds positive- natured base 105s Speed foes, such as Kadabra and Electabuzz. The rest of the EVs are spreainvested into HP and Defense, primarily because the majority of Pokemon Serperior will be setting Substitutes up on are physically dominant attackers. If you are using Taunt instead of Hidden Power Fire, you may shift 4 EVs over from Speed to Defense because they are no longer needed to make up for the imperfect Speed IV. Serperior's EV spread can certainly be customized to fit your team's needs;. 232 Speed EVs can be used to outpace base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros, or; alternatively, a bulkier spread such as 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD can be utilized to prevent Lickilicky from breaking Serperior's Substitutes more than half the time. If you want to maximize Leech Seed recovery, you can use 0 HP EVs and a 0 HP IV, but that drastically cuts into Serperior's bulk and is not recommended.</p>

<p>Because this set is designed to force switches, it performs exceptionalsignificantly better when coupled with entry hazards. Stealth Rock in particular quickly wears down Swellow and Braviary, two of Serperior'sthe greatest threats to Serperior, so teammates such as Regirock and Golem, who can handle the two birds and set up Stealth Rock, are solid partners. Both Toxic Spikes and Spikes support are beneficial, but there are few Pokemon who can setlay them. Garbodor is the best option available, as it has the ability to set up both hazards and can absorb opposing Toxic Spikes, which will devastate Serperior. Lastly, Pokemon such as Magmortar, who can mutilate opposing Grass-types, will make Serperior's life much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCM

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior can use his solid bulk and great Speed to set up a Substitute on Pokemon such as Quagsire, then proceed to easily boost his Special Attack and Special Defense viawith Calm Mind. Even with Serperior's initially mediocre offensive prowess, his power increases dramatically after a boost or two, and his Substitutes become nearly unbreakable without using a super effective or physical attackfrom the special side. Giga Drain is the preferred STAB move, as it quickly recovers health lost from Substitute. Hidden Power Rock provides the best coverage with Giga Drain, as it hits Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon super effectively, and the majority of Steel-type Pokemon in NU are neutral to Grass-type moves. The decision between Leftovers and Life Orb is mostly a matter of reliability versus power; when using Leftovers, Serperior recovers a small amount of HP each turn behind his Substitute, while Life Orb allows him to hit much harder off the bat. It alsoHowever, it must be noted that Substitute and Life Orb will wear down quickly on Serperior, emphasizing the need for Giga Drain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread, along with a Timid nature, allows Serperior to outrun base 105 Speed Pokemon, which is the lowest Serperior dares to go without losing the advantage of his high Speed stat, and provides Serperior with maximum Special Attack EVs so that he can pose as a threat even without several boosts. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP to make the most out of his decent bulk. If outspeeding faster threats is a necessity, Serperior can run 232 Speed EVs to get the edge on base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros and Jumpluff. A bulkier EV spread is an option, but Serperior often will not often find the time to set up and sweep, as Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon, such as Magmortar and Swellow, are far too common for Serperior to comfortably boost up. Hidden Power Fire is an option over Hidden Power Rock to hit Grass-types, but Serperior often canshould simply set up Calm Mind on opposing Grass-types, rather than worry about them.</p>

<p>Although Serperior isn't as helpless as usualHidden Power Rock helps Serperior out against Braviary and Swellow thanks to Hidden Power Rock, a partner who can handle their powerful onslaughts would be incredibly useful. Regirock, Golem, and Alomomola all have no troubles dealing with the two birds, and all three have their own perks to help Serperior out: the former two can set up Stealth Rock, severely cutting the lifespan of Swellow, Braviary, and Magmortar, whereas Alomomola can pass monstrous Wishes to Serperior to make up for his lack of reliable recovery. Offensively, partners such as Cinccino, Swellow, and Gigalith that, who lure bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that Serperior can set up, on are superb. Swellow in particular can U-turn away from incoming counters, giving Serperior a free switch-in. Serperior is incredibly vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, so carrying a Poison-type of your own or a Rapid Spin user is important for Serperior to be successful. Garbodor can set Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help Serperior wear out opposing special walls, and Wartortle has solid defensive synergy and can spin away entry hazards reliably.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior is one of the fastest users of dual screens in NU, and when coupled with Taunt and his good bulk, Serperior makes for an excellent support Pokemon to aid a teammate's set-up or sweep. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from trying to set up or Taunt Serperior while he is putting up Reflect and Light Screen. It also prevents the opponent from using a status move on Serperior or the incoming sweeper, which can often lead to a clean sweep. Giga Drain provides Serperior with a reliable STAB move and recovery, while Leech Seed steals opposing Pokemon's health and can be passed to a teammate. Light Clay is the preferred item, as it gives Reflect and Light Screen 8 turns of longevity as opposed to the usual 5.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>192 Speed EVs allow Serperior to outspeed base 105 Speed Pokemon, and the rest is invested into Serperior's bulk so that he can last long enough to set up dual screens several times, if necessary. Glare is an interesting option, as nearly every Pokemon benefits from Serperior's ability to spread paralysis. Safeguard is also neat to block status from moves such as Scald, but Taunt accomplishes this and also prevents phazing.</p>

<p>The best teammates for this set are powerful sweepers who preferably can utilize a boosting move such as Swords Dance, Rock Polish, or Shell Smash and proceed to sweep the opponent's team. Shell Smash Gorebyss is perhaps the most prominent option, as it can ravage entire teams after a boost or two, and none of its usual checks manage to OHKO Gorebyss behind dual screens. Gorebyss also has solid typing synergy with Serperior, switching in on the Fire-types (sans Magmortar, who carries Thunderbolt) that bother Serperior. Rock Polish Torterra is an outstanding choice, couplingas it couples great power and coverage with natural bulk. A boosted Torterra also outspeeds and demolishes Choice Scarf Braviary and Swellow, who; both can 2HKO Serperior through Reflect with Brave Bird. Another excellent option is Swords Dance Absol, who becomes monstrously strong after a boost and has access to a powerful Sucker Punch to defeat faster opponents.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite a physical movepool consisting of largely Grass- and Normal-type moves, Coil is a surprisingly effective move on Serperior. The overall strategy of this set is largely the same as the others: switch in on a Pokemon whom Serperior threatens, such as Golem or Alomomola, and set up a Substitute, then proceed to stack boosts with Coil. Although the Attack boost is important, the Defense and aAccuracy boosts provided by Coil are even more vital to the success of this set,: as the former makes Serperior's Substitute nearly unbreakable by a physical move after a few uses, and the latter erases Dragon Tail's 10% chance to miss. Leaf Blade is Serperior's best physical STAB option, but Dragon Tail is really the key attacking move on this set; because Serperior is naturally faster than all common phazers, he can use Dragon Tail to phaze them before they can attempt to do so. It also helps Serperior handle Pokemon who can break his Substitutes, such as Swellow, by forcing them out, allowing Serperior to set up another Substitute and continue to rack up entry hazard damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In order to make Serperior's attacks as powerful as possible, maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are preferred on this set. 224 Speed EVs and a neutral nature allow Serperior to outpace base 90 Speed Pokemon, most notably Jynx. The rest of Serperior's EVs are placed in HP to maximize overall bulk. An Impish nature can be used instead of Adamant to make it much harder to break Serperior's Substitutes much harder to break with physical moves; for example, 0 Attackuninvested Regirock with's Stone Edge will more often than not fail to break +1 Serperior's Substitute at +1 more than half the time, and Miltank with's Body Slam will never break it. A specially defensive spread is also an option if hitting hard off the bat isn't a concern, althoughbut most special attackers in the tier carry a move tohat hits Serperior super effectively.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are crucial to the success of this set, especially Stealth Rock. Most of Serperior's checks, such as Braviary and Magmortar, are weak to Stealth Rock, so the ability to phaze them out via Dragon Tail and force them to take 25% on the return to the battlefield is a godsend for Serperior. Regirock is one of the best possible teammates, as it can both set up Stealth Rock, paralyze potential threats with Thunder Wave, and handles Braviary and Swellow easily. In return, Serperior also sets up on the bulky waters that plague Regirock, such as Alomomola. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also incredibly helpful, as they help wear down grounded counters, including Tangela and Leafeon. Garbodor is the best available user of both moves in the tier, and also removes pesky Toxic Spikes that can mean the end of a Serperior sweep. Magmortar is one of the best responses to the aforementioned bulky Grass-types, beingas it is immune to Tangela's Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit and can OHKOing both with Fire Blast.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Serperior has few other options outside of those listed. He gets Glare, which is an interesting move in its own right, but there are more reliable Pokemon to spread paralysis. Gastro Acid is useful to cripple Pokemon who rely entirely on their ability, such as Swellow, but the effect ends as the opposing Pokemon switches out and thus is hardly ever worth the moveslot. Serperior can set up Sunny Day for other Chlorophyll-abusing teammates, but hardly has the means to make use of it himself.cannot make use of it himself. <perhaps add something about Serperior's poor synergy with most Chlorophyll mons?> Safeguard blocks status, but Taunt is usually superior as it also prevents phazing and set up. Torment is a curious option, but Serperior doesn't have the typing and resistances to take advantage ofuse it effectively. Aromatherapy removes all status afflictions from the team, but this is a job better left to a Pokemonthe likes of Lickilicky. Leaf Storm is Serperior's most powerful attack, but the -2 Special Attack drop ismakes it generally a bad idea, especially considering Serperior's already low Special Attack stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank has no problem switching in on the majority of Serperior's sets, as it has Sap Sipper willto absorb whatever Grass-type move Serperior carries and can consistently break hiSerperior's Substitutes with Seismic Toss or Body Slam. Opposing Grass-types, such as Leafeon and Amoonguss, can handle the SubSeed set well unless Serperior is using Hidden Power Fire. Likewise, Duosion and Kadabra are not affected by Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard, and both can set up Calm Mind. Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary both outspeed Serperior and can break his Substitutes viawith U-turn or simply KO Serperior with Brave Bird. Toxic Spikes, surprisingly, deals with all Serperior sets fairly well, as most revolve around Serperior utilizing Substitute to avoid status. Garbodor and Whirlipede are two of the few Toxic Spikes users in the tier, and both can easily switch into Serperior's Grass-type moves.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Serperior's Dream World ability, Perversity, inverts stat changes, making stat drops to become boosts and vice versa. Leaf Storm is the only move that Serperior receives that causes lowers his stats, but effectively receiving +2 on every use of Leaf Storm quickly adds up, making Serperior a dangerous sweeper.</p>

1/2

[Overview]

<p>Despite his regal appearance, Serperior is anything but out of the ordinary. With a sparse offensive movepool, Serperior has only a few qualities that allow him to stand out when compared to other Grass-types. Thanks to a great base 113 Speed, Serperior is naturally faster than the entire tier, sans Ninjask, Swellow, and Cinccino. Serperior has a plethora of support options available, including dual screens, Glare, Leech Seed, Taunt, and Safeguard. Additionally, Serperior has admirable 75 / 95 / 95 defenses, allowing him to easily set up one of his boosting moves or Leech Seed safely from behind a Substitute.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>All of Serperior's strengths flow together nicely in this set—his great Speed, solid defenses, and access to Taunt all enable Serperior to be an effective user of the SubSeed combination. The strategy is fairly simple: switch in to a Pokemon that Serperior scares out, such as Golem, Quagsire, or Alomomola, and set up a Substitute. From there, you can Leech Seed the switch-in and alternate between Substitute and the appropriate attacking move until Serperior scores a KO. Serperior is the fastest available user of this strategy in NU, sans Prankster Cottonee and Chlorophyll Jumpluff in the sun. Giga Drain gives Serperior a STAB move and provides extra recovery, if necessary. Hidden Power Fire is the preferred option for the fourth slot, as it nails the many Grass-types, who are immune to Leech Seed, for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire also has solid coverage with Giga Drain, hitting Bug- and Steel-types that resist Giga Drain for heavy damage. Taunt, on the other hand, prevents opposing Pokemon from using a status move on Serperior, or a recovery move such as Wish. It also blocks any attempts to phaze Serperior via Roar or Whirlwind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 196 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Serperior outspeeds positive natured base 105 Speed foes, such as Kadabra and Electabuzz. The rest of the EVs are invested into HP and Defense, primarily because the majority of Pokemon Serperior will be setting Substitutes up on are physical attackers. If you are using Taunt instead of Hidden Power Fire, you may shift 4 EVs over from Speed to Defense because they are no longer needed to make up for the imperfect Speed IV. Serperior's EV spread can certainly be customized to fit your team's needs. 232 Speed EVs can be used to outpace base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros; alternatively, a bulkier spread such as 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD can prevent Lickilicky from breaking Serperior's Substitutes more than half the time. If you want to maximize Leech Seed recovery, you can use 0 HP EVs and a 0 HP IV, but that drastically cuts into Serperior's bulk and is not recommended.</p>

<p>Because this set is designed to force switches, it performs significantly better when coupled with entry hazards. Stealth Rock in particular quickly wears down Swellow and Braviary, two of the greatest threats to Serperior, so teammates such as Regirock and Golem, who can handle the two birds and set up Stealth Rock, are solid partners. Both Toxic Spikes and Spikes support are beneficial, but there are few Pokemon who can lay them. Garbodor is the best option available, as it has the ability to set up both hazards and can absorb opposing Toxic Spikes, which will devastate Serperior. Lastly, Pokemon such as Magmortar, who can mutilate opposing Grass-types, will make Serperior's life much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCM

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior can use his solid bulk and great Speed to set up a Substitute on Pokemon such as Quagsire, then proceed to easily boost his Special Attack and Special Defense with Calm Mind. Even with Serperior's initially mediocre offensive prowess, his power increases dramatically after a boost or two, and his Substitutes become nearly unbreakable from the special side. Giga Drain is the preferred STAB move, as it quickly recovers health lost from Substitute. Hidden Power Rock provides the best coverage with Giga Drain, as it hits Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon super effectively, and the majority of Steel-type Pokemon in NU are neutral to Grass-type moves. The decision between Leftovers and Life Orb is mostly a matter of reliability versus power; when using Leftovers, Serperior recovers a small amount of HP each turn behind his Substitute, while Life Orb allows him to hit much harder off the bat. However, it must be noted that Substitute and Life Orb will wear down quickly on Serperior, emphasizing the need for Giga Drain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread, along with a Timid nature, allows Serperior to outrun base 105 Speed Pokemon, which is the lowest Serperior dares to go without losing the advantage of his high Speed stat, and provides Serperior with maximum Special Attack EVs so that he can pose as a threat even without several boosts. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP to make the most out of his decent bulk. If outspeeding faster threats is a necessity, Serperior can run 232 Speed EVs to get the edge on base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros and Jumpluff. A bulkier EV spread is an option, but Serperior will not often find the time to set up and sweep, as Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon, such as Magmortar and Swellow, are far too common for Serperior to comfortably boost up. Hidden Power Fire is an option over Hidden Power Rock to hit Grass-types, but Serperior should simply set up Calm Mind on opposing Grass-types, rather than worry about them.</p>

<p>Although Hidden Power Rock helps Serperior out against Braviary and Swellow, a partner who can handle their powerful onslaughts would be incredibly useful. Regirock, Golem, and Alomomola all have no trouble dealing with the two birds, and all three have their own perks to help Serperior out: the former two can set up Stealth Rock, severely cutting the lifespan of Swellow, Braviary, and Magmortar, whereas Alomomola can pass monstrous Wishes to Serperior to make up for his lack of reliable recovery. Offensively, partners such as Cinccino, Swellow, and Gigalith, who lure bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that Serperior can set up, on are superb. Swellow in particular can U-turn away from incoming counters, giving Serperior a free switch-in. Serperior is incredibly vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, so carrying a Poison-type of your own or a Rapid Spin user is important for Serperior to be successful. Garbodor can set Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help Serperior wear out opposing special walls, and Wartortle has solid defensive synergy and can spin away entry hazards reliably.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior is one of the fastest users of dual screens in NU, and when coupled with Taunt and his good bulk, Serperior makes for an excellent support Pokemon to aid a teammate's setup or sweep. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from trying to set up or Taunt Serperior while he is putting up Reflect and Light Screen. It also prevents the opponent from using a status move on Serperior or the incoming sweeper, which can often lead to a clean sweep. Giga Drain provides Serperior with a reliable STAB move and recovery, while Leech Seed steals opposing Pokemon's health and can be passed to a teammate. Light Clay is the preferred item, as it gives Reflect and Light Screen 8 turns of longevity as opposed to the usual 5.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The best teammates for this set are powerful sweepers who preferably can utilize a boosting move such as Swords Dance, Rock Polish, or Shell Smash and proceed to sweep the opponent's team. Shell Smash Gorebyss is perhaps the most prominent option, as it can ravage entire teams after a boost or two, and none of its usual checks manage to OHKO Gorebyss behind dual screens. Gorebyss also has solid typing synergy with Serperior, switching in on the Fire-types (sans Magmortar, who carries Thunderbolt) that bother Serperior. Rock Polish Torterra is an outstanding choice, as it couples great power and coverage with natural bulk. A boosted Torterra also outspeeds and demolishes Choice Scarf Braviary and Swellow; both can 2HKO Serperior through Reflect with Brave Bird. Another excellent option is Swords Dance Absol, who becomes monstrously strong after a boost and has access to a powerful Sucker Punch to defeat faster opponents.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite a physical movepool consisting of largely Grass- and Normal-type moves, Coil is a surprisingly effective move on Serperior. The overall strategy of this set is largely the same as the others: switch in on a Pokemon whom Serperior threatens, such as Golem or Alomomola, set up a Substitute, then proceed to stack boosts with Coil. Although the Attack boost is important, the Defense and Accuracy boosts provided by Coil are even more vital to the success of this set: as the former makes Serperior's Substitute nearly unbreakable by a physical move after a few uses, and the latter erases Dragon Tail's 10% chance to miss. Leaf Blade is Serperior's best physical STAB option, but Dragon Tail is the key attacking move on this set; because Serperior is naturally faster than all common phazers, he can use Dragon Tail to phaze them before they can attempt to do so. It also helps Serperior handle Pokemon who can break his Substitutes, such as Swellow, by forcing them out, allowing Serperior to set up another Substitute and continue to rack up entry hazard damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In order to make Serperior's attacks as powerful as possible, maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are preferred on this set. 224 Speed EVs and a neutral nature allow Serperior to outpace base 90 Speed Pokemon, most notably Jynx. The rest of Serperior's EVs are placed in HP to maximize overall bulk. An Impish nature can be used instead of Adamant to make Serperior's Substitutes much harder to break with physical moves; for example, uninvested Regirock's Stone Edge will more often than not fail to break +1 Serperior's Substitute, and Miltank's Body Slam will never break it. A specially defensive spread is also an option if hitting hard off the bat isn't a concern, but most special attackers in the tier carry a move that hits Serperior super effectively.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are crucial to the success of this set, especially Stealth Rock. Most of Serperior's checks, such as Braviary and Magmortar, are weak to Stealth Rock, so the ability to phaze them out via Dragon Tail and force them to take 25% on the return to the battlefield is a godsend for Serperior. Regirock is one of the best possible teammates, as it can set up Stealth Rock, paralyze potential threats with Thunder Wave, and handle Braviary and Swellow easily. In return, Serperior sets up on the bulky waters that plague Regirock, such as Alomomola. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also incredibly helpful, as they help wear down grounded counters, including Tangela and Leafeon. Garbodor is the best available user of both moves in the tier, and also removes pesky Toxic Spikes that can mean the end of a Serperior sweep. Magmortar is one of the best responses to the aforementioned bulky Grass-types, as it is immune to Tangela's Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit and can OHKO both with Fire Blast.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Serperior has few other options outside of those listed. He gets Glare, which is an interesting move in its own right, but there are more reliable Pokemon to spread paralysis. Gastro Acid is useful to cripple Pokemon who rely entirely on their ability, such as Swellow, but the effect ends as the opposing Pokemon switches out and thus is hardly ever worth the moveslot. Serperior can set up Sunny Day for other Chlorophyll-abusing teammates, but cannot make use of it himself. <perhaps add something about Serperior's poor synergy with most Chlorophyll mons?> Safeguard blocks status, but Taunt is usually superior as it also prevents phazing and setup. Torment is a curious option, but Serperior doesn't have the typing and resistances to use it effectively. Aromatherapy removes all status afflictions from the team, but this is a job better left to the likes of Lickilicky. Leaf Storm is Serperior's most powerful attack, but the Special Attack drop makes it generally a bad idea, especially considering Serperior's already low Special Attack stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Miltank has no problem switching in on the majority of Serperior's sets, as it has Sap Sipper to absorb Grass-type moves and can consistently break Serperior's Substitutes with Seismic Toss or Body Slam. Opposing Grass-types, such as Leafeon and Amoonguss, can handle the SubSeed set well unless Serperior is using Hidden Power Fire. Likewise, Duosion and Kadabra are not affected by Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard, and both can set up Calm Mind. Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary both outspeed Serperior and can break his Substitutes with U-turn or simply KO with Brave Bird. Toxic Spikes deals with all Serperior sets fairly well, as most revolve around Serperior utilizing Substitute to avoid status. Garbodor and Whirlipede are two of the few Toxic Spikes users in the tier, and both can easily switch into Serperior's Grass-type moves.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Serperior's Dream World ability, Perversity, inverts stat changes, making stat drops become boosts and vice versa. Leaf Storm is the only move that Serperior receives that lowers his stats, but effectively receiving +2 on every use of Leaf Storm quickly adds up, making Serperior a dangerous sweeper.</p>

edit: wtf, i did not know that x_________x thank you for pointing it out! i've been doing it wrong all along hahaha omg

jake

underdog of the year
Thanks for the check, sirn. Implemented!

edit: Looking over it once again, I think the only thing that I really disagree with is capitalizing "accuracy" and that's mostly because the grammar standards page says I shouldn't. I dunno how I missed that comment when implementing it the first time though... XD

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold
removals in red
comments in bold red

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>All of Serperior's strengths flow together nicely in this set—his great Speed, solid defenses, and access to Taunt all enable him to be an effective user of the SubSeed combination. The strategy is fairly simple: switch in to a Pokemon that Serperior scares out, such as Golem, Quagsire, or Alomomola, and set up a Substitute. From there, you can Leech Seed the switch-in and alternate between Substitute and the appropriate attacking move until Serperior scores a KO. Serperior is the fastest available user of this strategy in NU, sans Prankster Cottonee and Chlorophyll Jumpluff in the sun. Giga Drain gives Serperior a STAB move and provides extra recovery, if necessary. Hidden Power Fire is the preferred option for the fourth slot, as it nails the many Grass-types, who are immune to Leech Seed, for super effective damage. Hidden Power Fire also has solid coverage with Giga Drain, hitting Bug- and Steel-types that resist Giga Drain for heavy damage. Taunt, on the other hand, prevents opposing Pokemon from using a status move on Serperior, or a recovery move such as Wish. It also blocks any attempts to phaze Serperior via Roar or Whirlwind.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because this set is designed to force switches, it performs significantly better when coupled with entry hazards. Stealth Rock in particular quickly wears down Swellow and Braviary, two of the greatest threats to Serperior, so teammates such as Regirock and Golem, who can handle the two birds and set up Stealth Rock, are solid partners. Both Toxic Spikes and Spikes support are beneficial, but there are few Pokemon who can lay them. Garbodor is the best option available, as it has the ability to set up both hazards and can absorb opposing Toxic Spikes, which will devastate Serperior. Lastly, Pokemon such as Magmortar, who can mutilate opposing Grass-types, will make Serperior's life much easier.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute Calm Mind

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior can use his solid bulk and great Speed to set up a Substitute on Pokemon such as Quagsire, then proceed to comfortably boost his Special Attack and Special Defense with Calm Mind. Even with Serperior's initially mediocre offensive prowess, his power increases dramatically after a boost or two, and his Substitutes become nearly unbreakable from the special side. Giga Drain is the preferred STAB move, as it quickly recovers health lost from Substitute. Hidden Power Rock provides the best coverage with Giga Drain, as it hits Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon super effectively, and the majority of Steel-type Pokemon in NU are neutral to Grass-type moves. The decision between Leftovers and Life Orb is mostly a matter of reliability versus power; when using Leftovers, Serperior recovers a small amount of HP each turn behind his Substitute, while Life Orb allows him to hit much harder off the bat. However, it must be noted that Substitute and Life Orb will wear down quickly on Serperior, emphasizing the need for Giga Drain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread, along with a Timid nature, allows Serperior to outrun base 105 Speed Pokemon, which is the lowest Serperior dares to go without losing the advantage of his high Speed stat, and provides Serperior with maximum Special Attack EVs so that he can pose as a threat even without several boosts. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP to make the most out of his decent bulk. If outspeeding faster threats is a necessity, Serperior can run 232 Speed EVs to get the edge on base 110 Speed Pokemon, such as Tauros and Jumpluff. A bulkier EV spread is an option, but Serperior will not often find the time to set up and sweep this way, as Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon, such as Magmortar and Swellow, are far too common for Serperior to comfortably boost up for too long. Hidden Power Fire is an option over Hidden Power Rock to hit Grass-types, but Serperior should simply set up Calm Mind on opposing Grass-types, rather than worry about them.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Serperior is one of the fastest users of dual screens in NU, and when coupled with Taunt and his good bulk, Serperior makes for an excellent support Pokemon to aid a teammate's setup or sweep. Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from trying to set up or Taunt Serperior while he is putting up Reflect and Light Screen. It also prevents the opponent from using a status move on Serperior or the incoming sweeper, which can often lead to a clean sweep. Giga Drain provides Serperior with a reliable STAB move and recovery, while Leech Seed steals opposing Pokemon's health and can be passed to a teammate. Light Clay is the preferred item, as it gives Reflect and Light Screen eight turns of longevity as opposed to the usual five.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The best teammates for this set are powerful sweepers who preferably can utilize a boosting move such as Swords Dance, Rock Polish, or Shell Smash and proceed to sweep the opponent's team. Shell Smash Gorebyss is perhaps the most prominent option, as it can ravage entire teams after a boost or two, and none of its usual checks manage to OHKO Gorebyss behind dual screens. Gorebyss also has solid typing synergy with Serperior, switching in on the Fire-types (sans Magmortar, who usually carries Thunderbolt) that bother Serperior. Rock Polish Torterra is an outstanding choice, as it couples great power and coverage with natural bulk. A boosted Torterra also outspeeds and demolishes Choice Scarf Braviary and Swellow; both can 2HKO Serperior through Reflect with Brave Bird. Another excellent option is Swords Dance Absol, who becomes monstrously strong after a boost and has access to a powerful Sucker Punch to defeat faster opponents.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite a physical movepool consisting mostly of Grass- and Normal-type moves, Coil is a surprisingly effective move on Serperior. The overall strategy of this set is largely the same as the others: switch in on a Pokemon whom Serperior threatens, such as Golem or Alomomola, set up a Substitute, then proceed to stack boosts with Coil. Although the Attack boost is important, the Defense and accuracy boosts provided by Coil are even more vital to the success of this set: as the former makes Serperior's Substitute nearly unbreakable by a physical move after a few uses, and the latter erases Dragon Tail's 10% chance to miss. Leaf Blade is Serperior's best physical STAB option, but Dragon Tail is the key attacking move on this set; because Serperior is naturally faster than all common phazers, he can use Dragon Tail to phaze them before they can attempt to do so. It also helps Serperior handle Pokemon who can break his Substitutes, such as Swellow, by forcing them out, allowing Serperior to set up another Substitute and continue to rack up entry hazard damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

<p>Serperior has few other options outside of those listed. He gets Glare, which is an interesting move in its own right, but there are more reliable Pokemon to spread paralysis. Gastro Acid is useful to cripple Pokemon who rely entirely on their ability, such as Swellow, but the effect ends as the opposing Pokemon switches out and thus is hardly ever worth the moveslot. Serperior can set up Sunny Day for other Chlorophyll-abusing teammates, but cannot make use of it himself. Additionally, Serperior's Grass typing is redundant with most Chlorophyll Pokemon, compounding common weaknesses. Safeguard blocks status, but Taunt is usually superior as it also prevents phazing and setup. Torment is a curious option, but Serperior doesn't have the typing and resistances to use it effectively. Aromatherapy removes all status afflictions from the team, but this is a job better left to the likes of Lickilicky. Leaf Storm is Serperior's most powerful attack, but the Special Attack drop makes it generally a bad idea, especially considering Serperior's already low Special Attack stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

[Dream World]

<p>Serperior's Dream World ability, Contrary, inverts stat changes, making stat drops become boosts and vice versa. Leaf Storm is the only move that Serperior receives that lowers his stats, but effectively receiving +2 on every use of Leaf Storm quickly adds up, making Serperior a dangerous sweeper.</p>

good write-up

(2/2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)