Porygon (QC 3/3) (GP 3/2)

[Overview]

<p>Porygon has never been viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds its place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, complemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn't underestimate Porygon because of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, as it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Tri Attack
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Discharge / Thunderbolt
move 4: Recover
item: Eviolite
ability: Download / Analytic
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon's average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon's average Special Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri Attack serves as Porygon's main STAB move, which brings with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F and Shedinja. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want it to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola and Torkoal. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna, and Torkoal still move after Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that's thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Fighting-types such as Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls such as Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon's attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks. This makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]
name: Agility
move 1: Agility
move 2: Tri Attack
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb
ability: Download
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon's poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial Speed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every unboosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon's base Special Attack, after being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost, it becomes extremely potent. Tri Attack is Porygon's best STAB move, not only hitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralyzing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier at least neutrally, bar the likes of Rotom-F and Shedinja.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and maximum investment in Speed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it an inferior option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the BoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon's attacks with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Discharge
move 3: Toxic
ability: Trace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a combination of awesome bulk brought on by Eviolite, useful support options, and Recover, Porygon can act as a stoic status platform and defensive pivot. In fact, it is impossible for any singular unboosted special attack to OHKO Porygon. Even the mighty Choice Specs Exeggutor can only manage to deal about 75% at most to it with its Leaf Storm. Ice Beam and Discharge together hit everything neutrally bar the likes of Rotom-F and Shedinja, the latter also having a 30% chance of paralyzing its target. Toxic allows Porygon to stall out bulkier Pokemon, often allowing it to beat Pokemon such as Lickilicky, who can otherwise brush off any and all of Porygon's attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given spread is obviously meant to offer optimum special bulk. However, Porygon is entirely capable of running the same exact set with a Bold nature and maximum investment in Defense, should it suit your needs. Tri Attack can be run in tandem with Discharge, as it hits Pokemon such as Mesprit and Jynx more effectively than Ice Beam. Thunder Wave can also be run over Toxic should you require a more reliable method of spreading paralysis.</p>

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although it is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on it with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without adding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm her with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor, though the latter has to be wary of Sap Sipper variants. In return for their services, Porygon offers them a teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair bit easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon's extensive movepool offers it a plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies Porygon's low Speed very nicely. Unfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and offers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting move to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting it, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon's surprising diversity, the best way to "counter" it is by hitting it fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 Speed Porygon. Emboar can usually perform the same function; however, it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it a single boost, making him too susceptible to being defeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. Moreover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from Porygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party's actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon's offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be wary of the Defensive set, which can Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don't pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I see your point, but the problem with analytic is that you are depending on your opponent to be slower than you. it could work with TR, which already has OO mention.
exactly the opposite.......

porygon wants to be slower than the opponent for analytic to kick in

How does analytic suck? it's slow as hell no?
Well for one, it only boosts a move's Base Power by 30%, whereas a correctly played Download boosts his SpA by 50%. Moreover, paralysis support can remedy his piss-poor speed for the most part, as well as prevent the necessity to take a hit to actually deal respectable damage. I suppose if the QC feels it deserves it's own set, but I find it to be a rather unappealing option in comparison to Download.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm fairly sure tennisace will agree that you need LO on the offensive set or else Porygon is just incredibly weak. Base 85 SpA is nothing special (nor is its uninvested bulk, really) and Porygon needs all the power it can get.

You might want to mention cleric support for the defensive variant, as well as some way to get rid of SubCM Mesprit, which walks all over that set.

breh

強いだね
defensive is 100% worse than lickilicky bar a free moveslot. remove it, IMO.

agreeing that analytic is not awful; what is essentially a flat 30% boost to your SpA is hard to pass up. this makes porygon's SpA a very very nice effective base of about 125 when you're not fighting duosion. This is pretty damn good, IMO.

(this is also something that you can control a lot easier than download)

whoops, wrote duggy outta habit, my bad. I don't particularly like LO, solely because Pory becomes kinda frail w/out Eviolite, but I'll slash it in for now anywayz. Also I'll slash in Analytic, the demand is too high for me to deny it :P Yeah, I don't really love the defensive set personally, but I'd say it's still viable enough, so I'll keep it for now. Mentioned Cleric support, and I already sorta mention that Mesprit and such easily set up on it, but I'll be sure to stress that point should the set stay.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I really, really disagree with Life Orb on the offensive set. Porygon can't afford to be both frail and slow; without Eviolite, it's much, much more difficult to actually get in and start firing off attacks, and you have to waste more time Recovering if you want to stay alive - which is the whole reason you're using Porygon in the first place.

Yeah, what Ice-eyes said, at the very least stress what he said regarding Porygon's frailty without Eviolite in the writeup. Also, imo Analytic should be first over Download on the offensive set, since you're getting a much more reliable boost than you would with Download, which is pretty much a 50/50 chance of a boost. You can also put Tri Attack in the AC of the Defensive set for a reliable STAB attack as opposed to neutral coverage (though honestly I think you hit the entire tier neutrally with Tri Attack / Discharge). Other from that, it looks good, so once you make those changes, consider it a stamp.

edit: yeah, after talking with tennisace on IRC, I agree with his statements. We also came to the agreement that Agility should be mentioned in the AC of the offensive set, as well as HP Fighting to 2HKO Probopass.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Have either of you actually tested offensive Porygon? Porygon's special attack without Life Orb is nothing to write home about, with Life Orb it can actually 2hko Lickilicky with Tri-Attack with a Download boost. If you want an Eviolite set, it should be separate and apart from a Life Orb set. The Life Orb set should then become Agility which is actually fast and pretty powerful.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
So splitting it into two sets?

[SET]
evs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET]

mmk, split the sets according to Ice-eye's post, mentioned Tri-Attack in the Defensive set's AC, and I guess it's staying since there aren't any further objections to it? One small point, I put the Agility spread at 20 Hp/252 SpA/236 Spe (for beating Swellow at +2), because I don't believe it's outspeeding anything with all 252 anyway. But if I'm wrong I suppose thats an easy fix :P

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I don't see why you wouldn't make it 252 spe, you don't survive anything either and the extra speed could be helpful for something weird? It'll allow you to outspeed +2 Carracosta/Clamperl at least.

Clamperl's not that common tbh but yeah Carracosta is something you might want to outspeed, though you won't be doing much back :p At least you outspeed Swellow after agility :D

QC 2/3

yeah, i suppose in the end the little bulk gained is sorta negligible, I'll leave it at 252. thanks for ze checks~

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
your writing got kinda careless around the third set for some reason

[Overview]

<p>Porygon was never viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds hiits place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, compliemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn’t underestimate Porygon forbecause of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all warrantmake Porygon to be an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but don’t, not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon’s average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon’s average Sapecial Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri-Attack serves as Porygon’s main STAB move, which comes with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed. H; however, since this is extremely counterproductive tofor Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch- ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays notablyquite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat. T; this means you want to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola, Torkoal, etc. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower sSpeed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier. H; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna and Torkoal still move slower than Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>However, nNo matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon isseems fully capable of taking every hit that’s thrown at it. P, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still are more than capable of decimannihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types like Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon, to keeping Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls like Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass all cancan all shake off Porygon’s attacks with relative ease and take himit out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon retainshare a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks. T, this makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon’s poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial 392 speedSpeed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every un-boosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon’s base Special Attack, whenafter being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost it becomes extremely potent. Tri-Attack is Porygon’s best STAB move, not only being able to hithitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralysiszing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier neutrally or better, bar the likes of Rotom-F.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and the maximum investment in sSpeed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it a non-poor option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the formerBoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>Now while itWhile Porygon fully appreciates hiits Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching himit into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic types like Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also in their ability to ease hiits switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon. L; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that heit can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls likesuch as Lickilicky, who could otherwise muscle through Porygon’s attack, usingweather Porygon’s attack with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a combination of awesome bulk brought on by Eviolite, useful support options, and Recover, Porygon can act as a stoic status platform and defensive pivot. In fact, it is impossible for any singular unboosted special attack to OHKO Porygon. Even the mighty Choice Specs Exeggutor can only manage to deal about 75% at most to it with its Leaf Storm. Ice Beam and Discharge together hit everything neutrally bar the likes of Rotom-F, in addition to the ladderthe latter also having a 30% chance of paralyzing its target. Toxic allows Porygon to stall out bulkier pPokemon, often allowing himit to beat Pokemon likesuch as Lickilicky, who can otherwise brush off any and all of Porygon’s attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given spread is obviously meant to be offer optimum special bulk. However, Porygon is entirely capable of running the same exact set with a Bold nature and a maximum investment in Defense, should it suit your needs. Tri Attack can be run in tandem with Discharge, which grants Porygon the ability toas it hits Pokemon likesuch as Mesprit and Jynx more effectively than Ice Beam. Thunder Wave can also be run over Toxic should you require a more reliable method of spreading paralysis.</p>

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although heit is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on himit with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without overly exposing aadding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm ither with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor. In return for their services, Porygon offers them the ability toa teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair sight easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon’s extensive movepool offers it a vast plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies hisPorygon's low speed very nicely. However, it often gets shafted forUnfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and allowoffers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting optionmove to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting himit, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon’s surprising diversity, the best way to “counter” it is by hitting himit fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 Agility Porygon. Emboar can usually perform in the same function, however it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it boosts up, making him too susceptible to being offdefeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. More soover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from hiPorygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party’s actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, a few Pokemon retainpossess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types likesuch as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon’s offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be weary of the Defensive set, who will Toxic stall himit without much trouble. Similarly, though they don’t pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with larger special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon likesuch as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Porygon was never viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds its place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, complemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn’t underestimate Porygon because of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon’s average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon’s average Sapecial Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri-Attack serves as Porygon’s main STAB move, which comes with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola, Torkoal, etc. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna and Torkoal still move slower than Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that’s thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types like Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls like Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon’s attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks, this makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon’s poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial Speed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every unboosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon’s base Special Attack, after being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost it becomes extremely potent. Tri-Attack is Porygon’s best STAB move, not only hitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralyzing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier neutrally or better, bar the likes of Rotom-F.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and maximum investment in Speed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it a poor option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the BoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic types like Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon’s attack with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a combination of awesome bulk brought on by Eviolite, useful support options, and Recover, Porygon can act as a stoic status platform and defensive pivot. In fact, it is impossible for any singular unboosted special attack to OHKO Porygon. Even the mighty Choice Specs Exeggutor can only manage to deal about 75% at most to it with its Leaf Storm. Ice Beam and Discharge together hit everything neutrally bar the likes of Rotom-F, the latter also having a 30% chance of paralyzing its target. Toxic allows Porygon to stall out bulkier Pokemon, often allowing it to beat Pokemon such as Lickilicky, who can otherwise brush off any and all of Porygon’s attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given spread is obviously meant to offer optimum special bulk. However, Porygon is entirely capable of running the same exact set with a Bold nature and maximum investment in Defense, should it suit your needs. Tri Attack can be run in tandem with Discharge, as it hits Pokemon such as Mesprit and Jynx more effectively than Ice Beam. Thunder Wave can also be run over Toxic should you require a more reliable method of spreading paralysis.</p>

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although it is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on it with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without adding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm her with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor. In return for their services, Porygon offers them a teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair sight easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon’s extensive movepool offers it a plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies Porygon's low speed very nicely. Unfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and offers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting move to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting it, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon’s surprising diversity, the best way to “counter” it is by hitting it fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 Agility Porygon. Emboar can usually perform the same function, however it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it boosts up, making him too susceptible to being defeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. Moreover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from Porygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party’s actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon’s offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be weary of the Defensive set, who will Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don’t pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

GP CHECK 1/2

yeah, i was feeling a bit off throughout that portion, terribly sorry to inconvenience you :/ nonetheless, implemented, thanks for the check

fate is too thorough lol
<p>Porygon whas never been viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds its place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, complemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn’t underestimate Porygon because of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, as it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon’s average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon’s average Sapecial Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri-Attack serves as Porygon’s main STAB move, which comebrings with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola, Torkoal, etc. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna, and Torkoal still move slower thanafter Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that’s thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types like Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls like Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon’s attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks, t. This makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon’s poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial Speed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every unboosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon’s base Special Attack, after being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost it becomes extremely potent. Tri-Attack is Porygon’s best STAB move, not only hitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralyzing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier neutrally or better, bar the likes of Rotom-F.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and maximum investment in Speed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it a poor option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the BoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic types like Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon’s attacks with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a combination of awesome bulk brought on by Eviolite, useful support options, and Recover, Porygon can act as a stoic status platform and defensive pivot. In fact, it is impossible for any singular unboosted special attack to OHKO Porygon. Even the mighty Choice Specs Exeggutor can only manage to deal about 75% at most to it with its Leaf Storm. Ice Beam and Discharge together hit everything neutrally bar the likes of Rotom-F, the latter also having a 30% chance of paralyzing its target. Toxic allows Porygon to stall out bulkier Pokemon, often allowing it to beat Pokemon such as Lickilicky, who can otherwise brush off any and all of Porygon’s attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although it is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on it with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without adding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm her with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor. In return for their services, Porygon offers them a teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair sight easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon’s extensive movepool offers it a plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies Porygon's low speed very nicely. Unfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and offers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting move to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting it, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon’s surprising diversity, the best way to “counter” it is by hitting it fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 Agility Porygon. Emboar can usually perform the same function, however it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it boosts up, making him too susceptible to being defeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. Moreover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from Porygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party’s actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon’s offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be weary of the Defensive set, whoich will Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don’t pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

<p>Porygon has never been viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds its place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, complemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn’t underestimate Porygon because of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, as it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon’s average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon’s average Special Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri-Attack serves as Porygon’s main STAB move, which brings with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola, Torkoal, etc. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna, and Torkoal still move after Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that’s thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types like Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls like Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon’s attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks. This makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic types like Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon’s attacks with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon’s offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be weary of the Defensive set, which will Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don’t pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

GP 2/2

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Saw some minor errors >.> Placeholder for third check

[Overview]

<p>Porygon has never been viewed as a particularly useful Pokemon, being constantly overshadowed by its two evolutions. However, with its older brethren both making their homes in higher tiers, Porygon finally finds its place in NU. Despite its very common Normal typing, Porygon possesses three very useful abilities in Download, Trace, and Analytic, complemented by an incredibly diverse movepool. Moreover, access to Eviolite allows Porygon to supplement its mediocre defenses to impressive levels. One shouldn't underestimate Porygon because of its NFE status and deceivingly low base stats, as it can be an extremely potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon's average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon's average Special Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri-Attack serves as Porygon's main STAB move, which brings with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F and Shedinja. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want it to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola, and Torkoal, etc. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna, and Torkoal still move after Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that's thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types likesuch as Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Fighting-types such as Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls likesuch as Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon's attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks. This makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon's poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial Speed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every unboosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon's base Special Attack, after being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost, it becomes extremely potent. Tri-Attack is Porygon's best STAB move, not only hitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralyzing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier neutrally or betterat least neutrally, bar the likes of Rotom-F and Shedinja.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and maximum investment in Speed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it a pon inferior option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the BoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic-types likesuch as Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon's attacks with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a combination of awesome bulk brought on by Eviolite, useful support options, and Recover, Porygon can act as a stoic status platform and defensive pivot. In fact, it is impossible for any singular unboosted special attack to OHKO Porygon. Even the mighty Choice Specs Exeggutor can only manage to deal about 75% at most to it with its Leaf Storm. Ice Beam and Discharge together hit everything neutrally bar the likes of Rotom-F and Shedinja, the latter also having a 30% chance of paralyzing its target. Toxic allows Porygon to stall out bulkier Pokemon, often allowing it to beat Pokemon such as Lickilicky, who can otherwise brush off any and all of Porygon's attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although it is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on it with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without adding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm her with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor, though the latter has to be wary of Sap Sipper variants. In return for their services, Porygon offers them a teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair sighbit easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon's extensive movepool offers it a plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies Porygon's low sSpeed very nicely. Unfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and offers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting move to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting it, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon's surprising diversity, the best way to "counter" it is by hitting it fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 AgilitySpeed Porygon. Emboar can usually perform the same function,; however, it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it a single boosts up, making him too susceptible to being defeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. Moreover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from Porygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party's actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon's offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be weary of the Defensive set, which willcan Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don't pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Amazing coverage, bulk, and Special Attack all make Porygon an excellent bulky attacker. You may question the second two points when looking at its base stats, but do not, for they are incredibly deceiving. Eviolite turns Porygon's average defenses to those of a beefy 65 / 113 / 121 Pokemon, making it difficult to take down with just a wayward attack or two. Likewise, Download and Analytic escalate Porygon's average Special Attack, netting it either 442 or 383 Special Attack, respectively. Tri Attack serves as Porygon's main STAB move, which brings with it a useful chance to either paralyze, burn, or freeze the opposing Pokemon. Ice Beam and either Discharge or Thunderbolt offer near-perfect neutral coverage, hitting all but Rotom-F and Shedinja. Discharge is an excellent move for Porygon, as its higher chance of paralysis allows Porygon to somewhat remedy its low Speed; however, this is extremely counterproductive for Analytic Porygon, who relies on its ability to attack after the opponent, making Thunderbolt the superior option in that case. Lastly, Recover allows Porygon to shake off weaker attacks and remain healthy after repeated switch ins to Stealth Rock and Spikes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing bulk and Special Attack. The most important issue with such a Porygon is which ability you choose, as each ability plays quite differently. Download Porygon is reliant on switching in on Pokemon that activate its ability in a way that raises its Special Attack stat; this means you want it to be switching in on Pokemon with larger Defense, such as Alomomola and Torkoal. Analytic Porygon, on the other hand, relies on its lower Speed to receive a boost, making switching in a tad easier; however, Pokemon like Quagsire, Musharna, and Torkoal still move after Porygon, so keep that in mind when using it.</p>

<p>No matter what ability you choose, it should be noted that though Porygon seems fully capable of taking every hit that's thrown at it, powerful enough attacks, especially Fighting-type ones, are still more than capable of annihilating Porygon. Accordingly, bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Misdreavus make excellent partners for Porygon to keep Fighting-types such as Sawk and Emboar in check. Additionally, special walls such as Crygonal, Lickilicky, and Probopass can all shake off Porygon's attacks with relative ease and take it out at their leisure. Fortunately, all these Pokemon share a common attribute: a weakness to Fighting-type attacks. This makes the likes of Sawk, Emboar, and Gurdurr all excellent partners for Porygon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though often overlooked, Agility is an excellent move to remedy Porygon's poor Speed, even to the point of making it a solid late-game sweeper. After a single Agility boost, Porygon reaches a substantial Speed stat of 392, outspeeding almost every unboosted Pokemon in the tier. Though this is not all that impressive at first when glancing over Porygon's base Special Attack, after being supplemented by Life Orb and a Download boost, it becomes extremely potent. Tri Attack is Porygon's best STAB move, not only hitting hard but also offering a chance of either burning, paralyzing, or freezing the foe. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt offer beautiful neutral coverage, hitting the entirety of the NU tier at least neutrally, bar the likes of Rotom-F and Shedinja.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Being able to outspeed the majority of the NU tier is obviously the greatest draw to this set, making a Timid nature and maximum investment in Speed a must. A Modest nature would be ideal, but this would lead to Porygon being outsped by the ever-present Swellow, making it an inferior option. A combination of Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting is a suitable replacement for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, capable of hitting Pokemon like Probopass, Misdreavus, Mesprit, and Lickilicky harder than the BoltBeam combo.</p>

<p>While Porygon fully appreciates its Life Orb when it is sweeping, the lack of Eviolite makes Porygon a rather frail Pokemon. Consequently, switching it into attacks requires both tact and support from teammates. Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit and Musharna are both amazing partners to Porygon, being able to not only take Fighting-type attacks all day, but also to ease its switching in with dual screen support. Garbodor is also an excellent partner for Porygon; like his other Poison-type brethren, Garbodor is adept at absorbing Fighting-type attacks aimed at Porygon, though he brings something more to the table: Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes are incredibly useful to Porygon, who appreciates a softened up team that it can clean up with ease. Toxic Spikes, while not having the direct boons of Spikes, are incredibly useful for restricting dedicated walls such as Lickilicky, who could otherwise weather Porygon's attacks with its bulk and use Wish to recover.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main issue one will encounter with this Porygon is that although it is a potent defensive pivot, bulkier Pokemon with the ability to evade status problems, such as Mesprit, Musharna, and Miltank, can set up on it with little to no problem. Pokemon like Skuntank can shut down and trap the former two without adding another weakness to Fighting-type attacks. As for Miltank, the greatest remedy is to simply overwhelm her with powerful attacks, be it from Choice Band Sawk or Choice Specs Exeggutor, though the latter has to be wary of Sap Sipper variants. In return for their services, Porygon offers them a teammate who can paralyze or poison nearly an entire team, making their task of plowing through the opponent's team a fair bit easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As with almost any Normal-type, Porygon's extensive movepool offers it a plethora of options. Trick Room is a particularly useful tool, which remedies Porygon's low Speed very nicely. Unfortunately, Porygon often gets overshadowed in this respect by Audino, who has access to Leftovers and mountains of support options, not to mention a useful ability in Regenerator. Charge Beam is rather enticing, and offers Porygon the chance to overcome huge special walls like Lickilicky with a couple of lucky Special Attack boosts under its belt. In terms of other support options, Gravity has always been a tempting move to use, though it has yet to hold water in competitive play. Trick could allow Porygon to better utilize a Choice set, but without items like Eviolite or Life Orb supporting it, Porygon is rather underwhelming as a whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Porygon's surprising diversity, the best way to "counter" it is by hitting it fast and hard. Choice Scarf Sawk is your best bet, scaring off the Tank set, beating the Defensive set with some residual damage, and even outspeeding a +2 Speed Porygon. Emboar can usually perform the same function; however, it is important to note that even if he is carrying a Choice Scarf, he is still outsped by Agility Porygon after it a single boost, making him too susceptible to being defeated by a Tri Attack if he has taken enough prior damage. Moreover, if both Sawk and Emboar end up paralyzed, be it from Porygon's Discharge, Thunder Wave, or some other third party's actions, they lose almost all credibility as Porygon counters.</p>

<p>Defensively, few Pokemon possess the ability to switch in on Porygon. Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Probopass can switch into both of Porygon's offensive sets fairly safely, should it not be running Hidden Power Fighting. However, the former should be wary of the Defensive set, which can Toxic stall it without much trouble. Similarly, though they don't pack any particularly useful resistances, Pokemon with large special bulk can manage to handle Porygon for the most part. This includes Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Cryogonal, and Hypno, though the latter two have no method of properly dealing with Toxic.</p>

GP Approved 3/2

edit: something to note from here:

• Use the ASCII ( ' ) apostrophe in writing, not the curly ( ’ ) apostrophe.
  • Use the ASCII ( " ) quotation marks in writing, not the curly ( “ ” ) quotation marks.
erm I added Shedinja along Rotom-F if that's ok :x because it isn't hit by anything other than Toxic...

oh and I worked on top of Ritter's c/p btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)