Gliscor

Gliscor is a Pokemon that has aggravated many people since 4th generation Pokemon. He became an even larger nuisance in 5th generation with poison heal. His most popular sets in BW OU cripple teams and even sweep. In DW OU he is even more potent from what I have observed.

Base Stats
HP: 75
Attack: 95
Defense: 125
Special Attack: 45
Special Defense: 75
Speed: 95

Scorpion's Sting
Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Protect / Taunt
- Toxic / Ice Fang
- Earthquake

This is my favorite Gliscor set that is the biggest nuisance of all his sets. This set is defensive it's bulky and can hardly be touched right now in the current meta-game. The sets speed is 247 to out speed Pokemon such as: Bulky Rotom, Bulky Jirachi, Magnezone, etc. It's a classic speed 1 noche above the average 246 speed run by those Pokemon (247). 148 Spd Speed out speeds Timid Politoed and is also very viable for Gliscor depending on the team's needs. This set is good for various reasons, which all have the same idea in mind. A painful slow death to any Pokemon that can not avoid these two moves. Even if Gliscor isn't extremely effective against a particular Pokemon it can abuse poison heal to the max and pp stall if necessary. Taunt is also an option on the set if you don't have a spinner on your team or have to stop Techniloom from sweeping. This set should really be called Toxic RageQuit or something along those lines. This set is much better in DW's current meta-game because so many people are not prepared for it, Excadrill is back, and because so many players have little to no patience to deal with it. Ice Fang is always an option if your team has multiple hazards or a weakness to common Air Balloon Pokemon.

NinjaScor
Gliscor (F) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

He's not gone just because there are some new waters in the meta! Acrobatics Gliscor, which is also seen in BW OU is very effective in the 5th gen meta-game also. Yes he's got more to watch out for but he can set up Substitute or Sword Dance on the same Pokemon as always. This set is so effective in the current meta-game because a lot of people are using powerful Pokemon instead of pure strategy currently. Once Gliscor gets up a sub right now there are few Skarmory ready to handle him. When the meta-game does calm down this Gliscor set will still be effective. Breloom will still be roaming even after this, so this set will always be viable in the meta-game. Maybe not as much as it is currently, but BW OU proves that it's a very abusive set that can sweep several teams that are unprepared. Don't forget the odds of sand veil helping you out in a close match!

The Cold Scor
Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Swords Dance / Taunt
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Here is Gliscor's last most viable set to use in the current meta-game. It supports the team and walls Breloom. That's a lot of people's main purpose in DW OU and BW OU for this Gliscor set, however the ice ground coverage doesn't go overlooked and adds to the viability of this set. Some teams don't require Gliscor to have Sword Dance and might need to counter hazards users, so Taunt is optional. Sword Dance and Taunt both greatly contribute to how Gliscor supports a team. This set is also extrodinary because it is its own counter and counters the Scorpion's Sting Gliscor set.

Checks/Counters

Gliscor is obviously extremely hard to get rid of with all of his sets either containing Substitute or Protect.
His main counters are Gliscor, bulky waters, and bulky grass types.
Gliscor's main checks are Ice typed Pokemon, especially the few that carry Icicle Spear, which also count as counters.
Air Balloon Steel types would be another check to Gliscor until of course the balloon is popped. Remember that Gliscor isn't hard to kill unless he is underneath a sub or stalling with protect. These are the reasons why Gliscor is a true beast in 5th generation coupled with Poison Heal.

Discuss here.

Scorpion's Sting sucks, to be frank. You're walled by Air Balloon Heatran, and even worse, Air Balloon Excadrill. When Excadrill left, Gliscor was one of a mere two or three Pokemon who could truthfully say they hard countered Excadrill. Excadrill can simply Swords Dance up in his face, and OHKO/2HKO with Return. You need Ice Fang to counter Excadrill, as without it, the above happens, and Acrobatics Gliscor gets flinched to death by Rock Slide.

Don't be foolish Air Balloon is simple to break this Gliscor set is the most successful of all of them for me and I don't even have a priority move on the team. A lot of people are running Breloom and other Pokemon that have priority. This Gliscor set takes down more than just and can win the game for you even when you are down severely, moreover Excadrill is an obvious threat so make sure more than just one Pokemon can take him out anyway because what if your counter is dead. Excadrill's more powerful set contain Life Orb so the odds that every game this Gliscor is temporarily walled by Excadrill are very low.

canno

formerly The Reptile
I think Ice Fang should be at least slashed somewhere on the set, since it does have it's usefulness (popping balloons, hitting flying pokemon, ect.), the most important one is not being set-up fodder for those who resist/are immune to EQ (Balloon Excadrill is the most prominent example, but Nasty Plot Thundurus comes to mind as well).

You're right I forgot about the Ice Fang, Earthquake, Substitute, Protect set used on teams that are weak to Air Balloon Pokemon and used on stall teams.

I'm not expecting Gliscor to be much of a hit as all it's really good for in a metagame where Garchomp exists is as a physical wall. Sadly Gliscor does not have the luxury of running Shed Shell (unless you go with classic Roost Gliscor, which I suspect will become the more common variant), so Scarf Chandelure oscillates it, making it an unreliable Excadrill counter. As far as Acrobat Gliscor goes, SD Garchomp almost entirely outclasses it.

I don't know what it is about people and Chanderlure first of all. It isn't that hard to kill. The whole purpose of the first set is to keep his sub in tact, which means hopefully Chandelure won't be a factor. Chandelure is nearly pointless however in my opinion because once it kills something I simply bring in my Pursuit Tyranitar. Saying that a Pokemon is invalid because a trapper kills it that has the capability to kill a lot of Pokemon is down right ridiculous. I'm sorry but that isn't a reason not to run a single Pokemon. In that case any Genesect that isn't valid isn't useful in the meta-game unless it gets +2 speed before Chandelure gets to it. Gliscor is great in the meta in my opinion.

Calm your tits. Nowhere did I say Gliscor is invalid. I was stating that its niche is far more restricted than in OU. If you are relying on Toxic Orb Gliscor to beat Excadrill then more often than not you are going to lose to a competent Chandelure + Excadrill combo. It doesn't matter if Tyranitar Pursuits Chandelure after it gets its kill because if you were relying on Gliscor to handle Excadrill, then Excadrill is going to curbstomp you. As for "Chandelure is nearly pointless", I really don't know how to respond to that. You are either naive or do not play this meta if you really believe that. Chandelure is one of the most centralizing forces in this metagame whether you like it or not. And no, being revenge-killable does not automatically make something unviable, but being a wall that can get beaten by a Chandelure variant makes its job a hell of a lot harder. There is a reason people use Shed Shell Blissey over Eviolite Chansey, and that is because they do not want a key defensive lynchpin removed.

Btw Scarf Genesect outspeeds Scarf Chandelure.

Lets start from the bottom. Scarf Genesect is often used to revenge and can only U-turn against Chandelure. If in the last round Genesect Revenged or just killed because then Chandelure can freely come in like it does normally.

Like I stated most of Gliscor's sets are meant to have him keep up a substitute, so that gives this set that defeats Excadrill a bit of a +. I do agree that Chandelure has complete advantage on taking plenty of Pokemon in the meta as you have stated. Excadrill is one of the Pokemon that you should have more than one way to kill, although Gliscor / Skarm are the best options for taking him on. I do play the meta-game quite often and have yet to see this combination, so when I replied to your original statement I didn't know Chandelure was simply paving a way for Excadrill in your mind. I should have searched what the word "oscillates" meant, because now I understand your logic in the first statement completely.

I'm honestly torn. I'm never sure what moves to pick from the set of Taunt, Ice Fang, Protect, Toxic, EQ, Sub, or Swords Dance. I use max poison heal ev, 84 Speed, and split the rest between the defenses. Oh, btw, my rouge is Impish

Considering how successful I've been with Gliscor I would suggest the same set, which I named Scorpion's Sting. This set slowly breaks apart teams single handedly once you take out the 1 or 2 threats the opposing team may have. In DW OU you have access to the best revenger, spinner, and offensive Pokemon you could really ask for. Excadrill allows Gliscor to not need Taunt and the only reasons to run Ice Fang would totally depend on what your team is weak to. Pop the balloons and resort back to Gliscor. its a simple technique that works nearly every time. With all of the power Pokemon available in DW OU this set is prime because Gliscor is completely safe to Poison or EQ any Pokemon those moves effect under normal circumstances. Its the best set in my opinion because on bulky teams with hazards Ice Fang is completely viable and synergetic.

Good Luck windwolf777.

Why isn't Stone Edge or even Rock Slide viable on any of these sets? I can see the EdgeQuake combo working well on Gliscor

I say viable, because I assume that you have properly researched on this and considered these options. My bulky Acrobatic Gliscor gets walled by Zapdos, and Ice Fang just can't do enough damage off the bat to be a threat to it.

Gliscor isn't exactly the best Pokemon to combat Zapdos. The only Pokemon you'd actually get better coverage on are Pokemon that die to toxic stall. Gliscor isn't a Special Defensive wall, which means your team should have something for Zapdos and other Specially Offensive Pokemon for when you don't have a substitute up. A rock move wouldn't really help Gliscor as much as Ice-Ground coverage Accrobat Gliscor sweeps several teams but if they have a counter you've got to deal with it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why isn't Stone Edge or even Rock Slide viable on any of these sets? I can see the EdgeQuake combo working well on Gliscor
Only 6 of the top 35 DW mons are weak to Stone Edge, mostly due to Stealth Rock. Out of those 6, 4 are hit harder by Ice Fang or STAB Earthquake than they are by Stone Edge (Dragonite/Ninetales/Chandelure/Salamence). Stone Edge also misses SE coverage on things like Latios, Serperior, other Gliscor, Breloom, etc. Stone Edge also misses. All the damn time.

It's not that Edge+Quake doesn't work on Gliscor, its that Ice Fang + EQ works so much better.

Note that this post assumes you're dropping Ice Fang and replacing it with Stone Edge.

Many thanks jrrrrrrr (i think i saw those many r's) and HardCore. I'll be upgrading my gliscor shortly to the poison heal coldscor variant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)