Gardevoir (QC 1/2)

Gardevoir

[Overview]

The only reasons to use Gardevoir over Reuniclus, who is superior in every other way:
-will-o-wisp
-ally switch
-more speed, functions better out of trick room.
-Telepathy.
-The main attraction of Gardevoir over more popular support Pokemon such as Cresselia is Ally Switch, a very interesting move that can surprise your opponent if used correctly.

<p></p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Ally Switch
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Helping Hand / Trick Room
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Telepathy / Trace
nature: Bold / Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
-Ally Switch is the main reason to use Gardevoir. It can be used in many possible scenarios. For example: redirecting a ghost attack to a Normal-type ally, or protecting a Rock-type ally from a Fighting-type attack.
-Will-O-Wisp is something else Gardevoir has over Reuniclus and Cresselia. It is very useful for crippling common physical threats such as Tyranitar, Metagross, Scizor, and Garchomp.
-Psychic does a decent amount of damage even without SpA investment, due to Gardevoir's base 125 SpA. Psychic is usually the preferred choice, as it has a higher base power, but Psyshock can be used to surprise specially defensive Pokemon by hitting their weaker physical defense.
-The last move will depend on whether or not you are running a trick room team. Gardevoir can function effectively in or out of trick room. Helping hand pairs very well with Telepathy, allowing Gardevoir's ally to attack with a boosted spread move without hurting Gardevoir. However, Musharna pulls this off more effectively. For a Trick Room team, Gardevoir will obviously want to have Trick Room in the last slot. However, Trick room could be also be used to stop an opponent's Trick Room from being set up.

<p></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-A bold or Relaxed nature with maximum Def EVs bulk up Garevoir's weaker physical side, and allow it to take more hard hits aimed at it's partner.
-A Calm or Sassy nature will allow Gardevoir to survive a Gem Draco Meteor from Latios. However, this means, without the Defense boost, Gardevoir will also be OHKOed by a Crunch from Tyranitar.
-Telepathy is usually the better choice for an ability, allowing Gardevoir to be protected from an ally's spread move. However, if your team doesn't have any spread moves to worry about, than Trace is another amazing ability. It can copy a foes ability, which is very useful in a format full of intimidate and levitate users.
-It should be noted that Bold nature should be used only on a non-Trick Room team, while a Relaxed Nature and 0 speed IVs should be used on the Trick Room set.
-Gardevoir has access Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball, which could be used in the last moveslot for extra coverage, depending on the needs of your team.
-Sitrus Berry increases Gardevoir's bulkiness, but Mental Herb and Lum Berry are also options to help Trick Room setup.

-There are countless Pokemon that could benefit from Ally Switch support. In Trick Room, Snorlax is a great partner. Snorlax's main drawback is that it's totally destroyed by physical Fighting-type attacks. Gardevoir can use Ally Switch to switch places with Snorlax, taking nothing from a Gem boosted Close Combat, while Snorlax is immune to any Ghost-type attacks aimed at Gardevoir.
-Explosion/Selfdestruct users also pair well with Gardevoir, as they can freely go boom without harming Gardevoir due to Telepathy. Again, Snorlax is a great partner, as it's Selfdestruct is stabbed, and with Normal Gem, not much will be able to survive it.
-Ursaring is another normal-type parter that could benefit from Ally Switch.
-Anything that is weak to fighting or Psychic. Terrakion, Hitmontop, Scrafty, Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, etc.
-Anything that resists Ghost, Dark, or Bug.
-Fake out users for Trick Room.

[Other Options]
-Oh boy... :/
-The ability Synchronize is an option to counter status effects, particularly from Amoongus or Thundurus.
- Protect along with Ally Switch may seem a bit redundant, but it's main use would be to protect Gardevoir from an opponent's spread move, in which case Ally Switch would be useless.
-Thunder wave is always a great support move to have, as it can render fast, frail Pokemon nearly useless. However, having Will-O-Wisp AND Thunder Wave is also a bit redundant.
-Charm (has better things to do than lower opponent's stats)
-Disable (fast paced metagame etc.)
-Destiny Bond (better on fast frail Pokemon)
-Encore (has better things to do)
-Focus Blast (Viable to hit Tyranitar and stuff)
-Grass Knot (could be used for coverage depending on your team)
-Icy Wind (viable in place of Thunder Wave)
-Imprison (Viable, hard to fit in though)
-Dual Screens (Why not use Cresselia?)
-Memento (Same as Destiny Bond)
-Substitute (Not really helpful)
-Safeguard (Too slow to use effectively)
-Taunt (this would be used mainly to stop TR, in which case imprison would probably be better)
-Hypnosis (low accuracy :P)
-Heal Pulse, would be a great move to use when the opponent predicts an Ally Switch.
-Trick (Not legal with Telepathy D:)
-Calm Mind (fast paced metagame)
-Confuse Ray (who uses Confuse Ray?)
-keep in mind that many of these options are egg moves, and therefor can't be used along with Telepathy and Helping Hand.

<p></p>

[Checks and Counters]

-Chandelure can Imprison to block TR, or OHKO Gardevoir with a Choice Specs or Ghost Gem boosted Shadow Ball.
-Without Mental Herb, Taunt users will be a problem.
-Scizor can OHKO Gardevoir with Bug Bite, unless it has been burned by Will-O-Wisp.
-Pokemon with strong spread moves, such as Rain teams spamming surf or Sun Teams spamming Heat Wave, will reduce the usefulness of Ally Switch.
-Tyranitar's Crunch will almost OHKO, and has a possibility to OHKO with Sandstorm up. Easy OHKO with a Dark Gem or.
-Hydreigon can easily 2HKO, and can OHKO with modest Nature and Dark Gem or Choice Specs.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion guys :P

2nd analysis yay!

Skeleton is up, ready for QC.
It's kind of messy...
I am not quite sure about the slashes on the set, also there's so much crap Gardevoir can do so I'm sure I forgot to mention something in AC or OO
Sorry in advance to QC checkers if this is too unorganized, let me know if I need to redo it.

EDIT: Oh gosh, just realized I forgot to mention Telepathy, that's bad...I will add that in.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Helping Hand is definitely worth a mention for the set, as is Telepathy for the main ability on the set. Gardevoir is an excellent supporter, and Helping Hand+Telepathy is a combo only Gardevoir and Musharna can use so kinda niche I guess. Though, yeah Musharna is better with that combo. Also get rid of the unreleased section.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
A few other things:

-Will-o-wisp and thunder wave both being main slashes on the set seems kind of redudant. I would change up the slashes for the fourth move slot, maybe even just moving thunder wave to OO.

-Mention Explosion/Self-Destruct. You mention Snorlax, but no self-destruct and it can be a great user for the move with STAB and all of that jazz.

-Mental Herb is a wholly worthy option for the set

-Modest Chandelure's unboosted Shadow Ball doesn't OHKO, however Scizor's Bug Bite can OHKO even with max investment if you miss w-o-w

Okay, all changes made. I was cut-pasting like crazy, so I hope I got everything right :O

I mentioned Mental Herb in AC...but do you think it should be slashed in after Sitrus Berry?
Since the set is kind of both TR and non-TR, I put all the non-TR options first (bold before relaxed, HH before TR, etc.) Is that good, or does it really matter?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Checking it over:

-Gardevoir cannot learn Ice Beam

-Running a Calm/Sassy Nature with 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD allows Gardevoir to tank a Gem Draco Meteor from Latios. Worth mentioning because it's a bit silly to take the bullet for your dragon pal, only to die to it.

-Gardevoir really does have a lot of random, somewhat useful non-damaging moves. Probably should add Hypnosis, Heal Pulse, and Trick (though not legal with Telepathy) on to that list in OO.

-I do believe that Trace also deserves a mention in OO, as copying the opponent's ability can lead to interesting situations (eg. Intimidating Hitmontop back, or taking Levitate from Cress or Latios)

lol I probably saw Ice Punch and thought it was Ice Beam :P
Surviving Gem Draco Meteor is huge, so do you think I should just change the main Nature to Calm / Sassy? Or should I slash in all of them? (Without Bold / Relaxed, it dies to Tyranitar. Great -_-)
Bold / Relaxed / Calm / Sassy...is that many slashes usually considered too cluttered?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
lol I probably saw Ice Punch and thought it was Ice Beam :P
Surviving Gem Draco Meteor is huge, so do you think I should just change the main Nature to Calm / Sassy? Or should I slash in all of them? (Without Bold / Relaxed, it dies to Tyranitar. Great -_-)
Bold / Relaxed / Calm / Sassy...is that many slashes usually considered too cluttered?
It's usually best to have one as the main set, and mention the different nature in the AC, and saying why the different natures are relevant. In this case I'd say keep the main nature as Bold/Relaxed, making mention that it allows Gardevoir to survive a Crunch. And then mention Calm/Sassy as an alternate nature, which allows survival of Gem Meteor in exchange for surviving TTar Crunch.

-I think Calm Mind is at least worth an OO mention, Gardevoir can use it pretty well with its natural bulk, but setups are generally hard to utilize in the VGC metagame
-Confuse Ray is also another option, although it's mostly for people who like to play with luck

Otherwise, looks good. Gardevoir has a ridiculous amount of moves to utilize :O

Don't know if this is worth mentioning, but if you want to have Helping Hand and Telepathy you can't have any of the egg moves in OO

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I think this looks good now. Just remove the mention about CB with Tyranitar in the counters, since I can't remember the last time I've ever seen a CB Tyranitar in VGC.

QC 1/2

Yay, finally some Gardevoir action! I used it at regionals, and it worked outstandingly. Imo, I think trace should be slashed because with all the Hitmontop running around getting an intimidate out there 50% of the time can be really nice. Also, I think Hitmontop is a great partner for Gardevoir, however with a Specially Defensive Bulk, Intimidate Hitmontop and Will-o-Wisp pick up the defensive slack. Also having a fake out partner gives you a good opportunity to set up Trick Room or WoW, and with a mental herb, Trick Room can go up almost every time. But hey, that's just what I've learned from testing on PO for a long time and using it at regionals. My two cents.

EDIT: Btw, I love ally switch. Used it to dunk of Jeremy Fan.

Hm, now that I think about it, I have no idea why Trace isn't slashed on the main set...it's much more useful than synchronize in a format where 90% of teams run hitmontop, not to mention other intimidate users, levitate users, swift swim, chlorophyl and sand rush :P
I'll add Trace on the main set and put Synchronize on OO.

Bump! School starts in like a month for me, so I'm ready to write this up as soon as I get another QC :)

(Chansey could use some love as well...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)