So I Heard Athens was fun D:

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Where were you on April 15, 2012? For most people who play the VGC 2012 metagame, you were probably hanging out with friends, playing Pokemon, and just having fun at one of the many locations that the VGC championships were being played in North America. However, since my mom can't find the money for a 1 1/2 hour drive to Athens on Sunday, I couldn't participate. Why is this such a big deal? Well, I had hyped up with some of my bros (Brandon, Cypher, KiwiDawg, TalkingLion, and Dingram, congratz on winning seniors by the way man, knew you had it in you), and I had nothing to do at my house that Sunday, which sucked even more. Anywho, enough about me, lets get on with the actual purpose of this RMT. This RMT showcases the team I would have brought with me to Athens, which was a good team at that. After breaking the 1300 mark on PO and 200+ wins on Random Matchup (I didn't use this team in the international challenge, thats another team for another day), I was confident that I could win the event. Guess we'll never know now huh :P. Enough of this, Team MUNCHALOT is under way. :D

The Orgianal outline for this team was made by my friend Blaziken Guy on Serebii here After having a quick discussion with him, I asked him if I could use his team. He said yes, and I loved it alot. However, there was a few holes, and as such I started to work to fix those holes.

Okay, first Pokemon that I replaced was Nidoking. It was working wonders, don't get me wrong, but it didn't OHKO certain Pokemon such as Zapdos. Also, I only had two resistances to Fire, and they were somewhat shaky checks at that. So, I made the teams first change, and I haven't regretted it. Heatran not only gives me a third and solid check to Fire, Chandelure, and Sun teams in general, but it also gives me another spread move in Heat Wave, which gains STAB and works great with other Pokemon on the team. Defensibly, it works wonders as well (same Water and Ground weakness as Ninoking, but with much more resistances). All in all, great Pokemon, it needs more use.

The next change was more of a personal preference that an actual performance change. Scizor gives me a priority move in this slot and a way to cover Fighting-types, which is something Earthquake Metagross can't do. It also deals with Cresselia better, which helps alot in dealing with it. Not only does it deal with Cress better, but Bug Bite is also nice in dealing with Pokemon that try to set up Trick Room, as well as having resistances to common Trick Room offesive types (Psychic, Ghost etc) Also, a stronger Bullet Punch is always nice to have, and just 1 weakness to Fire is nice, as it helps remedy the Ground-weakness.

Ok, this change makes sense, ALOT of sense. When using Terrakion, the hail would just KO Terrakion once it got down to its sash. I tried using other items, such as Chople Berry and Life Orb, but they just didn't work. So, I needed a Physical Attacker that is immune to hail, which isn't alot of Pokemon. It came down to Weavile and Mamoswine, however, Mamoswine is 1000x more useful that Weavile. Mamoswine gives my team another spread move in Earthquake, and Icicle Crash is just another cool STAB attack(the animation is awesome). Also, unlike Terrakion, it offers STAB priority in Ice Shard, and unlike Weavile, it gets a spread attack and immunity to sand, making it a great Focus Sash user.

Ok, Choice Scarf Obamasnow is cool and all, but really, I never used him all that much once Terrakion left. Mamoswine handles itself just fine, and I had a weakness to two Pokemon, Gastrodon and Rotom-W. While Abomasnow can just use Giga Drain, its even easier to get rid of when using Giga Drain. As such, I decided to just use Latios, as it gives me resistances to those two Pokemon STABs, another great check to sun, and just a powerful Pokemon in general.

Team Preview

Team MUNCHALOT!

(Biosci) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 4 SDef
Mdoest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

One of the two orginal members for the 1st version of the team is Rotom, and it's easy to see why. Rotom-W is just an amazing Pokemon in General, only 1 weakness, with so much coverage between 3 moves. This is also the Pokemon I use to help against rain and sand teams, as most Pokemon in sand are usually weak to Water. Rotom-W usally leads, unless the opposing team is very anti-Rotom, but usually Rotom will find a way to be useful. I was using Hidden Power Grass for a while, but other than hitting Gastrodon harder, it was useless, so i stuck with Hidden Power Fire to deal with pesky Ferrothorn and Scizor without using Heatran, and it pays off as most Scizor and Ferro don't use Occa Berry anymore. The EVs are Max HP and Max SpA to gain as much bulk and power as possible, with the remaining 8 Evs placed into the defenses. Credit to Biosci for RNGing this for me (and sorry I couldn't use this at Athens bro D:)

(Peachy) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 SAtk / 172 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Like Moof's and Lucariojr's teams, Cresselia is here to provide Paralysis support for the rest of the team, as well as tank hits from just about every Pokemon in the game. This thing is just so bulky, almost nothing OHKOes it, and I use its bulk to my advantage. Cress is usually paired up with Mamoswine so it can abuse EQ freely, and Cress helps by paralyzing Pokemon that would other wise cause problems, such as Infernape. The EVs are used so that I 2HKO the genies with Ice Beam, as well as Krookodile, with the SpD evs used to tank Surfs, Heat Waves, Draco Meteor's and just about any Special Attack. I was thinking of adding HP Fire to hit Scizor and Metagross, but its really weak and it didn't too much to them anyways, but you're free to try HP Fire(some ppl on PO are using it, and its spreading on RM as well) Credit to Biosci again for the RNG and Peachy for being just a cool person to talk too :D
(JetBlue) @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

One of the newer Pokemon on my team is Latios, and so far so good for the Eon Pokemon. Latios powerful Draco Meteor helps take down even the bulkiest of foes, clearing the way for the rest of the team. Its also a nice measure to have against sun teams as well as Goodstuffs teams. I chose Life Orb instead of the ever popular Dragon Gem because Life Orb boosts the power of all moves Latios uses, at the small side effect of 10% recoil. Latios is usally leading either with Mamoswine or next too Rotom-W, depends on the team I'm facing. Credit to Cassie for the RNG, thanks :D

(Heatran) @ Shucca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Heatran, what a cool Pokemon, this thing needs more love. Yea, it has a 4x weakness to Ground, but thats why we have Focus Sashes, Shucca Berries, and Balloons for! Heatran not only me a spread move in the form of Heat Wave, but it walls Snowmen, Chnadelure, Latios and Latias without HP Ground, takes on T-Tar pretty well, and makes a solid check to just about any sun team. All this, while packing a base 130 Special Attack and 91 / 106 / 106 defeneses, and packing 10 resistances and 2 immunities. Not bad for a magma monster thing huh :P. Heatran rarely leads the battle, instead coming in when I need to tank a resisted hit or absorb a Fire attack for Mamo or Scizor. Instead if wasting the EVs in Speed, I put them in HP to increase Heatran's bulk, espcially since it'll be taking EQs due to me not runnig Air Balloon. Credit to Biosci for the RNG, cool person you guys.

(#SwineFlu) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Protect

SWINE FLU!!!! Mamoswine is just amazing at what it does; abusing its STABs and ending them with prehistoric Ice Shards. When I added this Poke to my team, I said at the time I would replace it if I get rid of the snowman, as that was the reason I added it to the team in the first place. However, after finding out how good this was at KOing the Lati twins, Garchomp, the genies, and Zapdos, with a combo of Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, I couldn't get rid of it(part of the reason I added Latios was that it made it even easier to use Earthquake). Base 80 Speed isn't that bad either, allowing it to Speed tie with Chandelure, and with immunites to both kinds of damaging weather, it makes good use of the Focus Sash. This is usually leading off with eitehr Latios or Rotom, maybe Cress if its a team with a bunch of faster Pokemon. Credit to Biosci for RNGing it, and I hope he won't have to stop at the hospital for RNGing Swine Flu(If you do, sorry man D:)

(Edward) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Acrobatics
- Protect

The Red Bug of Death is here to claim your souls. Scizor is cool as it goes toe to toe with Pokemon such as Latios without HP Fire, Cress without HP Fire (I saw like 3 of these on PO one day D:) T-Tar without a Fire-type attack, and so on. Flying Gem Scizor is even cooler, as it deals with Fighting-type Pokemon such as Hitmontop that think they're home free once its Intmidated. Oh how wrong they are :P. Bug Bite and Bullet Punch are both cool STABs, one taking away the foes Sitrus, Chesto, and type resitsance berries, the other nailing Pokemon such as Weavile, Abomasnow, Terrakion and so on. Like Heatran, this Poke rarely leads, but it depends on the type of team I'm facing. Credit to Cassie for making it, and if you get the nickname, you get a cookie.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading this, and I urge you to tinker with this team yourself! I know it's far from perfect, but I have a hard time seeing how it could be improved at this point. It's been a staple team for me when I feel like just hopping on random WiFi for a quick match or two, or for serious battles against friends.

SHOUTOUTS

Biosci / Cassie - For RNGing the team, you guys are awesome :D

Brandon- Cool guy to talk too, and don't worry, you got this come June

Kiwi- Sorry you got haxxed at Regionals, but they're always a next time :P

Lucariojr- Funny Warstory, funny analysis, funny on irc, just the funny guy everyone needs in life

Mafeking/Harsha - Damn it, I WILL DRAG YOU GUYS TO AN EVENT NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!

Cypher- The "leader" of the Goon Squad, sorry for the bs in philly

Epic Demise- I swear, now that I know you're a guy, I can stop wondering about gender. Now I need to wonder about sexuality :P

1337/Dingram- I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT, REPRESENTING GOON SQUAD. Can't wait to see you again at nats(If I find the money D:)

TalkingLion- 2nd Place winner at VA, and will be going to nats, one of the many people I need to meet if I get to go

Dimsum- Well, you said you would go out and win, but you came just short, but you still did good!

Everyone on #Grammar- best group of people around, and they say Grammar nerds aren't fun :P

Everyone on xat- Like #Grammar, except they still have much more swag :P

Thanks Alot you guys :D(If I missed anyone, PM me, I'll add you in :3)

Lucariojr- Funny Warstory, funny analysis, funny on irc, just the funny guy everyone needs in life
im not funny :c

But anyway, looks like a solid team, which is to be expected! I'm questioning HP Fire on Rotom and 44 Speed on Scizor, though. You already have Latios and Heatran to take care of Scizor and Ferrothorn, though I know from experience that you never can have too many checks to Ferrothorn. Maybe consider trading the Life Orb for a Dragon Gem or Colbur Berry, since (again) from experience Life Orb doesn't do much that Dragon Gem doesn't! Colbur is mainly for Sucker Punch Hitmontop, since it can be really annoying for Heatran and Mamoswine. Sorry you weren't there man, hope you can make it to nats. Also, Edward Scizorhands B)

Thanks for reading this, and I urge you to tinker with this team yourself! I know it's far from perfect, but I have a hard time seeing how it could be improved at this point. It's been a staple team for me when I feel like just hopping on random WiFi for a quick match or two, or for serious battles against friends.
wait a minute

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
im not funny :c

But anyway, looks like a solid team, which is to be expected! I'm questioning HP Fire on Rotom and 44 Speed on Scizor, though. You already have Latios and Heatran to take care of Scizor and Ferrothorn, though I know from experience that you never can have too many checks to Ferrothorn. Maybe consider trading the Life Orb for a Dragon Gem or Colbur Berry, since (again) from experience Life Orb doesn't do much that Dragon Gem doesn't! Colbur is mainly for Sucker Punch Hitmontop, since it can be really annoying for Heatran and Mamoswine. Sorry you weren't there man, hope you can make it to nats. Also, Edward Scizorhands B)
I like having that speed to get the jump on those Politoeds and Hitmontop that don't invest Speed. As for the items, I will try both of them out, sounds like a good idea.

your cookie sir :3

wait a minute
yea, I got lazy towards the end, plz don't hurt me D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)