Flareon (GP 2/2)

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game Freak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelutions made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat might make it seem worthy of being one of the top threats in the tier, but unfortunately, Flareon has very few moves to utilize it; its strongest physical STAB move since its release in RBY is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which, when put together, let Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, Charizard, and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps to keep Flareon and its teammates healthy. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, which exposes it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Flareon's typing also means that it loses 25% of its HP each time it switches into the ubiquitous Stealth Rock, to say nothing of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. In addition, Psyshock compromises Flareon's ability to wall common special attackers, such as Gardevoir, as it hits Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest special wall, its ability to wall some of the tier's most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Wish
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Lava Plume / Flamethrower
move 4: Heal Bell / Roar / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers, such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, residual damage from Stealth Rock and weak attacks easily wear it down. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon reliably restore its HP, scout the opponent's attack, and hoard Leftovers recovery. Though Flareon's Special Attack is its lower offensive stat, Lava Plume is chosen as it has a significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although the 30% burn chance is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it might conflict with other status conditions Flareon might want to inflict, such as Toxic. Therefore, Flareon can instead opt to run Flamethrower, which has an even higher Base Power and a lower burn chance. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot, as it turns Flareon into a dedicated team supporter able to fully revitalize its teammates by curing them of unwanted status. Alternatively, Roar lets Flareon phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on it, but it requires significant prediction to use as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and, along with the Wish + Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall many Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's HP and Special Defense stats, though great, are not amazing, and it needs all the special bulk it can get to take on powerhouses such as Charizard and Magmortar. Thus, it should always invest fully in in both HP and Special Defense, and run a Calm nature. The remainder is placed in Special Attack to give Flareon's chosen Fire STAB a bit more power. Leftovers grants Flareon recovery every turn and is great in conjunction with Protect; Flareon can use Protect to gain extra health, which might let it survive the subsequent attack.</p>

<p>Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and halt most setup sweepers if Flareon chooses not to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass core that can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's longevity; the latter in particular leaves Flareon on a timer unless it uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Spinners are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Flareon's Wish support as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick in terms of its physical movepool. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower, and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set can be used to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge; while it can rarely utilize them itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep. Hidden Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way onto one of Flareon's sets; it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier, although Flareon can easily Toxic stall them without fear. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon. It can act as a pseudo-hazing move to force the opponent to switch out or take an extremely powerful special attack on their lowered Special Defense. Flareon can set up Sunny Day, and is overall a great choice for sun teams as it can also absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, as well as support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Finally, Flareon's DW ability, Guts, sends its Attack stat through the roof when it is inflicted with status. Unfortunately, not only are moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower illegal with Guts, Flareon loses its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't very difficult to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon as it compromises Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more susceptible to powerful special attacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physically attacking Water-types, such as Samurott and Floatzel, can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set up with Swords Dance and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timed Roar or Toxic on the switch. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon by preying on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful physical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the aforementioned Pokemon must be wary of a burn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr is an exception, though; as it only gets stronger with status, it can switch into Flareon with impunity. It should be careful of setting up against Flareon, however, as Flareon can Roar it out and remove all its boosts. Toxic and Toxic Spikes both reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically; even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>

I'm not sure whether the set slashing is the best one, but I'll wait until a person who uses Flareon more comments.

Anyways, here are a few changes that I suggest:

[Overview]
  • Mention that it also does well against Psyshock-less Jynx.
  • Mention that it is a great sun check.
  • Mention that its SR weakness, lack of recovery moves other than Wish, poor defense stat, and generally bad defensive typing pulls it down, but it's still a pretty good Pokemon despite that.
  • Mention that Flareon is pretty much dead-weight against rain teams.

[Additional Comments]
  • Mention that you don't NEED to use the WishTect combo, but it's a very useful crutch.
  • Mention Hidden Power Rock for hitting Charizard and generally getting good coverage with Lava Plume/Flamethrower.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Mention that because it is a defensive Pokemon it isn't that hard to check/counter.
  • Mention Pokemon that can just set-up on Flareon if it doesn't have Roar such as Swords Dance Samurott and Rain Dance Ludicolo.

Gonna give this a check on top of DTC!

[Overview]
-pretty much everything DTC said, though Specs Air Slash 2HKOes Flareon; its one of the best counters to Charizard but its not a full stop to special variants.

Wish Set:
-Looks good, though the slashes look a bit funny. In the last moveslot I think it should be Heal Bell / Roar / Toxic [Switch Heal Bell and Roar if you like, it really just depends on how supportive or phazing oriented you are]

[Additional Comments]

-Mention Tentacool as a teammate since it sets up TSpikes, spins, absorbs most water-type attacks etc!
-pretty much everything DTC said

[Other Options]

-mention Flame Charge

That's all I got.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention how if you want to run Toxic then Flamethrower is /generally/ a better option? This is a tricky one, but I have run Lava Plume / Toxic before and gotten really annoyed when I Burned something I really needed to get Toxic on. Apart from that I would probably give HP Grass a mention since it lures in Rock types like Golem and Relicanth all day long. Also stops Samurott from completely switching in and setting up for free all over it.

OO:
Fake Tears
Physical Attacker (Fire Fang / Return / Superpower / Filler)
Mixed Attacker (Return / Superpower / Fire Blast / Hidden Power Grass)
Choiced items with Baton Pass perhaps?

Teammates:
Wartortle (can Spin, appreciates Wish support, form nearly the FWG, so add Tangela for completion)

Add everything that WillSO said other than Fake Tears. Fake Tears is just not worth it, especially since Flareon can't even abuse the Special Defense drop well.

QC Approve 1/3

It would be nice to nab zard but it usually just gets switched out when Flareon is encountered. Good to see you post WillSO, how's Poke Lab doing?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Flareon to set up sun and it worked pretty good. Especially since it has Wish. I think it's worth a OO mention.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
It does stack fire types but Flareon has little better to do and it does take Fire type attacks from the opponent which would otherwise hurt.
I'll add it
Thanks for the stamp DTC, I always look back on QC comments when I'm writing the analysis so just because I'm too lazy to put it in the skeleton doesn't mean I haven't taken your comments in :)
More QC stamps!

Not sure I agree about Fake Tears.
Flareon has a pretty standard Eeveelution special movepool which includes STAB, Hidden Power and Shadow Ball - which while not exactly diverse - is enough to do damage.
Fake Tears also tends to encourage opponents to switch so it's almost phazing. Usable with entry hazards.

It does have pro's which I think are OO worthy.

I'd also advise considering ResTalk Curse Fire Fang.

@Steamroll, yeah, I tend to lurk C&C because it interests me. PokeLab is good, we're not far off Gen5 OU so that'll be good stuff.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fake Tears can be mentioned in OO. I don't see the harm in it. I would also move both Flamethrower and Toxic to AC of the set since both seem to be extraneous slashes (unless they have a very specific and important purpose, it seems to me that the other moves are generally better). Obviously mention that using one should entail the use of the other. Otherwise, this looks pretty straightforward to me.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

why do you have to mention flare blitz 9.9
mention sacred fire, giga drain, rock blast and heal order instead, those would be much better!
silly jokes aside,

• Mention that its SR weakness, lack of recovery moves other than Wish, poor defense stat, and generally bad defensive typing pulls it down, but it's still a pretty good Pokemon despite that.
I addressed this on IRC, but PC++ is always fun, so I'll say it here again:
fire is not a bad defensive typing at all, considering its the very typing that keeps flareon afloat in NU with its ability to check magmortar and others (tbolt/focus blast!). stealth rock and water weakness suck, but what can you do; the good comes with the bad as they say (and it has no business tanking ground or rock moves as those come from physical attackers anyway).

so um don't mention that, lol.
and DTC sucks

I addressed this on IRC, but PC++ is always fun, so I'll say it here again:
fire is not a bad defensive typing at all, considering its the very typing that keeps flareon afloat in NU with its ability to check magmortar and others (tbolt/focus blast!). stealth rock and water weakness suck, but what can you do; the good comes with the bad as they say (and it has no business tanking ground or rock moves as those come from physical attackers anyway).

so um don't mention that, lol.
and DTC sucks
My point still stands: it's generally a bad defensive typing. Perhaps "niche" defensive typing is better as the resistance to Grass, Fire (technically immunity, but that comes with the ability), and Ice is nice.

Also, if Flareon had a different typing, its defensive niche would change; its typing is not the "only thing keeping Flareon afloat".

The main thing I noticed was missing is that Stealth Rock is a major counter to Flareon. Have Gigalith or something of that form set up Stealth Rock immediately to give Flareon a lot of trouble.

If you wanted more offense, I would suggest HP Grass or HP Ice along with a STAB (keep Lava Plume or swap for Flamethrower or Fire Blast). Then, swap out a bit of HP EVs for some more SpA.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The main thing I noticed was missing is that Stealth Rock is a major counter to Flareon. Have Gigalith or something of that form set up Stealth Rock immediately to give Flareon a lot of trouble.

If you wanted more offense, I would suggest HP Grass or HP Ice along with a STAB (keep Lava Plume or swap for Flamethrower or Fire Blast). Then, swap out a bit of HP EVs for some more SpA.
It's not necessarily a counter per se, but SR is definitely a pain in Flareon's side. Rapid Spin support is already mentioned though, so there's not a whole lot more to say other than mentioning that setting up SR will cut down Flareon's lifespan in the Checks & Counters section. I wouldn't try to use Flareon offensively whatsoever, really. Its strongest niche is as a specially defensive Wish passer, and if we wanted a powerful Fire-type attacker then we have several other good options (Magmortar and Charizard come to mind quickly).

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
Noob check coming up!

[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game <space> fFreak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelution's made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat would make it seem like one of the top-threats in the tier, but it unfortunately Flareon has very few moves to abuse utilize it; Flareon'its strongest physical STAB move since its release in RBY, is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which put together, lets it Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, <space>Charizard and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps in to keeping Flareon and its teammates healthy, as well as healing its teammates. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, exposing it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Its typing also means that Flareon loses 25% of its HP every each time it switches into the common Stealth Rock, while also being vulnerable to both forms of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Its Flareon's ability to wall common Sspecial Aattackersing threats such as Jynx can also be is compromised if they choose to run by Psyshock, which hits on Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest Sspecial Wwall, its ability to wall some of the tiers most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, Flareon can easily be worn down by residual damage from Stealth Rock and the Pokemon it counters. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon relaiiably restore its own health HP with Wish, as well as scout the opponent's attack and hoard Leftovers recovery with Protect. Flareon's chosen STAB move for this set actually hits from its lower Special Attack stat, as Lava Plume has significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although its 30% chance to burn is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it often conflicts with other status moves that Flareon may might want to inflict; instead, you Flareon can choose to run Flamethrower which has a higher bBase pPower and is less likely to conflict with status such as Toxic. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot to turn Flareon into a complete supporter, being able to fully revitalize a weakened teammate as well as by curinge unwanted status. Roar is an alternative to phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on Flareon, however, it requires significant prediction as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and with the Wish+Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall manyost of the Pokemon that it counters.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's Special Defense and HP stats, while being great, are not amazing. Flareon needs all the special defensive bulk it can get to take on powerhouses such as Charizard and Magmortar, so it should always run maximum EVs in both HP and Special Defense, as well as a Calm nature. The remainder is placed in Special Attack to give Flareon's Flamethrower or Lava Plume a bit more power. Leftovers grants Flareon recovery every turn and is great in conjunction with Protect. Flareon can use Protect to gain extra recovery and potentially let it survive an incoming attack. Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and of most setup sweepers if Flareon doesn't choose to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass-core which can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially a weakness to Stealth Rock which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's lifespan longevity; the latter leaving Flareon on a timer unless it wants to uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Rapid Spin users are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Wish support from Flareon as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick when it comes to its physical movepools. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set tries to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge, which; while it can rarely abuse utilizethem itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep. Hidden<space>Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way on<space>to one of Flareon's sets, it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier although Flareon can easily Toxic-stall them without fear. Guts is Flareon's alternative DW ability and sends its Attack stat through the roof when inflicted with a status. Unfortunately, Flareon's terrible movepool, which is further diminished by illegalities with moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower, leaves a<space>lot to be desired, and its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks is lost. Flareon is a great choice for Ssun teams as it can absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, it can also set<space>up Sunny Day and support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon, it can act as a pseudo-hazing move, forcing the opponent to switch out or else take an extremely powerful< really?> Sspecial Aattack on the their lowered Special Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't a very hard Pokemon to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon, as it compromises its Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more suspectable susceptible to powerful Sspecial Aattacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physical attacking wWater-types such as Samurott and Floatzel can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set<space>up with Swords Dance or and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timeds Roar or Toxic on the switch in. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon as they prey on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful Pphysical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the above mentioned Pokemon must be wary of a Bburn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr can switch into Flareon with impunity as it only gets stronger with status, be careful of setting up against on Flareon though as it can use Roar to remove all your boosts. Toxic, especially Toxic Spikes, reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically, even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to eventually status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>
[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game Freak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelutions made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat would make it seem like one of the top threats in the tier, but unfortunately Flareon has very few moves to utilize it; its strongest physical STAB move, since its release in RBY, is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which put together, let Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, Charizard and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps to keep Flareon and its teammates healthy. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, exposing it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Its typing also means that Flareon loses 25% of its HP each time it switches into the common Stealth Rock, while also being vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Flareon's ability to wall common special attackers such as Jynx is compromised by Psyshock, which hits on Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest special wall, its ability to wall some of the tiers most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, Flareon can easily be worn down by residual damage from Stealth Rock and the Pokemon it counters. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon reliably restore its HP with Wish, as well as scout the opponent's attack and hoard Leftovers recovery with Protect. Flareon's chosen STAB move for this set actually hits from its lower Special Attack stat, as Lava Plume has significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although its 30% chance to burn is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it often conflicts with other status moves that Flareon might want to inflict; instead, Flareon can run Flamethrower which has a higher Base Power and is less likely to conflict with status such as Toxic. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot to turn Flareon into a complete supporter, being able to fully revitalize a weakened teammate by curing unwanted status. Roar is an alternative to phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on Flareon, however, it requires significant prediction as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and with the Wish+Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall manyPokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's Special Defense and HP stats, while being great, are not amazing. Flareon needs all the special bulk it can get to take on powerhouses such as Charizard and Magmortar, so it should always run maximum EVs in both HP and Special Defense, as well as a Calm nature. The remainder is placed in Special Attack to give Flareon's Flamethrower or Lava Plume a bit more power. Leftovers grants Flareon recovery every turn and is great in conjunction with Protect. Flareon can use Protect to gain extra recovery and potentially let it survive an incoming attack. Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and of most setup sweepers if Flareon doesn't choose to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass-core which can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially to Stealth Rock which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's longevity; the latter leaving Flareon on a timer unless it uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Rapid Spin users are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Wish support from Flareon as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick when it comes to its physical movepool. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set tries to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge, which; while it can rarely utilize them itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep . Hidden Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way onto one of Flareon's sets, it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier although Flareon can easily Toxic-stall them without fear. Guts is Flareon's DW ability and sends its Attack stat through the roof when inflicted with a status. Unfortunately, Flareon's terrible movepool, which is further diminished by illegalities with moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower, leaves a lot to be desired, and its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks is lost. Flareon is a great choice for sun teams as it can absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, it can also set up Sunny Day and support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon, it can act as a pseudo-hazing move, forcing the opponent to switch out or else take an extremely powerful special attack on the their lowered Special Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't a very hard Pokemon to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon as it compromises Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more susceptible to powerful special attacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physical attacking Water-types such as Samurott and Floatzel can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set up with Swords Dance and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timed Roar or Toxic on the switch in. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon as they prey on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful physical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the above mentioned Pokemon must be wary of a burn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr can switch into Flareon with impunity as it only gets stronger with status, be careful of setting up against on Flareon though, as it can use Roar to remove all your boosts. Toxic, especially Toxic Spikes, reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically, even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>

working over Cereza's check

[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game Freak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelutions made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat would might make it seem like worthy of being one of the top threats in the tier, but unfortunately, Flareon has very few moves to utilize it; its strongest physical STAB move, since its release in RBY, is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which, when put together, let Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, Charizard, and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps to keep Flareon and its teammates healthy. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, exposing which exposes it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Its Flareon's typing also means that Flareon it loses 25% of its HP each time it switches into the common ubiquitous Stealth Rock, while also being vulnerable to to say nothing of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. In addition, Psyshock compromises Flareon's ability to wall common special attackers such as Jynx is compromised by Psyshock, which as it hits on Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest special wall, its ability to wall some of the tier's most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers, such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, Flareon it can easily be worn down by residual damage from Stealth Rock and the Pokemon it counters weak attacks. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon reliably restore its HP with Wish, as well as , scout the opponent's attack, and hoard Leftovers recovery with Protect. Flareon's chosen STAB move for this set actually hits from its lower Special Attack stat, as Lava Plume has significantly Though Special Attack is Flareon's lower offensive stat, Lava Plume is chosen as it has a significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although its 30% chance to burn the 30% burn chance is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it often might conflicts with other status moves that conditions Flareon might want to inflict, such as Toxic. instead Therefore, Flareon can instead opt to run Flamethrower, which has an even higher Base Power and is less likely to conflict with status such as Toxic a lower burn chance. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot to , as it turns Flareon into a complete dedicated team supporter, being able to fully revitalize a weakened its teammates by curing them of unwanted status. Roar is an alternative to Alternatively, Roar lets Flareon phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on Flareon it, however, but it requires significant prediction to use as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and, along with the Wish+ + Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall many Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's HP and Special Defense and HP stats, while being though great, are not amazing, and Flareon it needs all the special bulk it can get to take on powerhouses such as Charizard and Magmortar. so Thus, it should always run maximum EVs invest fully in in both HP and Special Defense, as well as and run a Calm nature. The remainder is placed in Special Attack to give Flareon's Flamethrower or Lava Plume chosen Fire STAB a bit more power. Leftovers grants Flareon recovery every turn and is great in conjunction with Protect. ; Flareon can use Protect to gain extra recovery and potentially let it survive an incoming attack. health, which might let it survive the subsequent attack.</p>

<p>
Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and of halt most setup sweepers if Flareon doesn't chooses not to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass- core which that can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially to Stealth Rock, which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's longevity; the latter in particular leaving leaves Flareon on a timer unless it uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Rapid Spin users are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Wish support from Flareon as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick when it comes to in terms of its physical movepool. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower, and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set tries can be used to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge, which; while it can rarely utilize them itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep (remove space). Hidden Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way onto one of Flareon's sets, it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier, although Flareon can easily Toxic- stall them without fear. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon. It can act as a pseudo-hazing move to force the opponent to switch out or take an extremely powerful special attack on their lowered Special Defense. Flareon can set up Sunny Day, and is overall a great choice for sun teams as it can also absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, as well as support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Finally, Flareon's DW ability, Guts, sends its Attack stat through the roof when it is inflicted with status. Unfortunately, not only are moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower illegal with Guts, Flareon loses its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks. (I moved stuff around in this part - put optional moves together, then sunny day and sun teams, then the dw ability bit, so the diff app screwed up here d:)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't a very hard Pokemon difficult to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon as it compromises Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more susceptible to powerful special attacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physically attacking Water-types, such as Samurott and Floatzel, can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set up with Swords Dance and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timed Roar or Toxic on the switch in. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon as they prey by preying on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful physical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the above-mentioned Pokemon must be wary of a burn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr can switch into Flareon with impunity is an exception, though; as it only gets stronger with status, it can switch into Flareon with impunity. It should be careful of setting up against on Flareon, though however, as it Flareon can use Roar to it out and remove all your its boosts. Toxic, especially and Toxic Spikes, both reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically, ; even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>
[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game Freak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelutions made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat might make it seem worthy of being one of the top threats in the tier, but unfortunately, Flareon has very few moves to utilize it; its strongest physical STAB move since its release in RBY is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which, when put together, let Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, Charizard, and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps to keep Flareon and its teammates healthy. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, which exposes it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Flareon's typing also means that it loses 25% of its HP each time it switches into the ubiquitous Stealth Rock, to say nothing of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. In addition, Psyshock compromises Flareon's ability to wall common special attackers, such as Jynx, as it hits Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest special wall, its ability to wall some of the tier's most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers, such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, it can easily be worn down by damage from Stealth Rock and weak attacks. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon reliably restore its HP, scout the opponent's attack, and hoard Leftovers recovery. Though Special Attack is Flareon's lower offensive stat, Lava Plume is chosen as it has a significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although the 30% burn chance is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it might conflict with other status conditions Flareon might want to inflict, such as Toxic. Therefore, Flareon can instead opt to run Flamethrower, which has an even higher Base Power and a lower burn chance. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot, as it turns Flareon into a dedicated team supporter able to fully revitalize its teammates by curing them of unwanted status. Alternatively, Roar lets Flareon phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on it, but it requires significant prediction to use as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and, along with the Wish + Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall many Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's HP and Special Defense stats, though great, are not amazing, and it needs all the special bulk it can get to take on powerhouses such as Charizard and Magmortar. Thus, it should always invest fully in in both HP and Special Defense, and run a Calm nature. The remainder is placed in Special Attack to give Flareon's chosen Fire STAB a bit more power. Leftovers grants Flareon recovery every turn and is great in conjunction with Protect; Flareon can use Protect to gain extra health, which might let it survive the subsequent attack.</p>

<p>Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and halt most setup sweepers if Flareon chooses not to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass core that can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's longevity; the latter in particular leaves Flareon on a timer unless it uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Rapid Spin users are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Wish support from Flareon as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick in terms of its physical movepool. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower, and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set can be used to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge; while it can rarely utilize them itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep(remove space). Hidden Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way onto one of Flareon's sets, it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier, although Flareon can easily Toxic stall them without fear. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon. It can act as a pseudo-hazing move to force the opponent to switch out or take an extremely powerful special attack on their lowered Special Defense. Flareon can set up Sunny Day, and is overall a great choice for sun teams as it can also absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, as well as support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Finally, Flareon's DW ability, Guts, sends its Attack stat through the roof when it is inflicted with status. Unfortunately, not only are moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower illegal with Guts, Flareon loses its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't very difficult to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon as it compromises Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more susceptible to powerful special attacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physically attacking Water-types, such as Samurott and Floatzel, can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set up with Swords Dance and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timed Roar or Toxic on the switch. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon by preying on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful physical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the above-mentioned Pokemon must be wary of a burn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr is an exception, though; as it only gets stronger with status, it can switch into Flareon with impunity. It should be careful of setting up against on Flareon, however, as Flareon can Roar it out and remove all its boosts. Toxic and Toxic Spikes both reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically; even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>While many Pokemon have suffered at the hands of Game Freak's strange and unusual methods, Flareon has been one of the most disadvantaged. While its fellow Eeveelutions made it to the limelights of OU and UU, Flareon was left to play with other misfits in the dark depths of NU. Flareon's Attack stat might make it seem worthy of being one of the top threats in the tier, but unfortunately, Flareon has very few moves to utilize it; its strongest physical STAB move since its release in RBY is the measly Fire Fang! However, Flareon has managed to carve out a niche in NU thanks to its unique defensive typing, ability, and above-average Special Defense stat, which, when put together, let Flareon wall NU powerhouses such as Magmortar, Charizard, and Exeggutor. The combination of Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell also helps to keep Flareon and its teammates healthy. Unfortunately, Flareon's physical Defense stat is rather lackluster, which exposes it to common physical attackers such as Golem and Samurott. Flareon's typing also means that it loses 25% of its HP each time it switches into the ubiquitous Stealth Rock, to say nothing of Spikes and Toxic Spikes. In addition, Psyshock compromises Flareon's ability to wall common special attackers, such as Gardevoir, as it hits Flareon's terrible Defense stat. Although Flareon may not be the tier's bulkiest special wall, its ability to wall some of the tier's most powerful sweepers guarantees it a spot on many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon makes an excellent counter to many common special attackers, such as Magmortar. Unfortunately, residual damage from Stealth Rock and weak attacks easily wear it down. Wish and Protect form a popular combo that simultaneously lets Flareon reliably restore its HP, scout the opponent's attack, and hoard Leftovers recovery. Though Flareon's Special Attack is its lower offensive stat, Lava Plume is chosen as it has a significantly higher Base Power than any of Flareon's physical STAB attacks. Although the 30% burn chance is Lava Plume's greatest advantage, it might conflict with other status conditions Flareon might want to inflict, such as Toxic. Therefore, Flareon can instead opt to run Flamethrower, which has an even higher Base Power and a lower burn chance. Heal Bell is the main option in the last slot, as it turns Flareon into a dedicated team supporter able to fully revitalize its teammates by curing them of unwanted status. Alternatively, Roar lets Flareon phaze out Pokemon hoping to set up on it, but it requires significant prediction to use as many powerful setup sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can significantly hurt Flareon even without any boosts. Toxic is a staple for most walls and, along with the Wish + Protect combo, allows Flareon to Toxic stall many Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flareon's walling capabilities are restricted by its Fire typing and poor Defense stat, so Pokemon such as Tangela and Quagsire are great teammates. Tangela can easily take Water- and Ground-type attacks, while Quagsire can sponge Rock-type attacks and halt most setup sweepers if Flareon chooses not to run Roar. Together, they create a Fire, Water, and Grass core that can be extremely hard to break through. Alomomola is another great teammate as it has immense physical walling capabilities and can act as another Wish-passer to keep your team healthy. Flareon's typing leaves it vulnerable to all entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, which strips off a quarter of its HP every time it switches in. Spikes and Toxic Spikes also hinder Flareon's longevity; the latter in particular leaves Flareon on a timer unless it uses Heal Bell every time it switches in. Spinners are thus great teammates for Flareon. Wartortle can take most Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves and spin away hazards; it also appreciates Flareon's Wish support from Flareon as it has no reliable recovery move of its own.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flareon really got the short end of the stick in terms of its physical movepool. Its strongest physical STAB attack is the rather terrible Fire Fang, while its coverage moves consist of Bite, Superpower, and Iron Tail. A Choice Band set can be used to make the best of Flareon's superb Attack stat, but it is overall outclassed by Emboar. Flareon can also Baton Pass moves such as Curse, Work Up, and Flame Charge; while it can rarely utilize them itself, it could easily give one of its teammates the opportunity to sweep(remove space). Hidden Power Rock is another interesting move that rarely finds its way onto one of Flareon's sets; it makes taking on Charizard and Magmortar much easier, although Flareon can easily Toxic stall them without fear. Fake Tears is a rather uncommon move that has some utility on Flareon. It can act as a pseudo-hazing move to force the opponent to switch out or take an extremely powerful special attack on their lowered Special Defense. Flareon can set up Sunny Day, and is overall a great choice for sun teams as it can also absorb the Fire-type attacks that often give them trouble, as well as support the team with Wish and Heal Bell. Finally, Flareon's DW ability, Guts, sends its Attack stat through the roof when it is inflicted with status. Unfortunately, not only are moves such as Iron Tail and Superpower illegal with Guts, Flareon loses its main niche in sponging Fire-type attacks.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flareon isn't very difficult to counter as it has numerous weaknesses to common moves in the tier. Stealth Rock should be one's first priority when trying to eliminate Flareon as it compromises Flareon's walling ability and leaves it more susceptible to powerful special attacks. The commonly seen Golem and Regirock can both set up Stealth Rock and shatter Flareon with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Physically attacking Water-types, such as Samurott and Floatzel, can easily wipe Flareon out with Waterfall or set up with Swords Dance and Rain Dance respectively. However, they must be careful of a well-timed Roar or Toxic on the switch. Most fast physical sweepers can easily put a stop to Flareon by preying on Flareon's rather pitiful Defense stat; Sawk and Braviary both come to mind as powerful physical attackers that can easily OHKO Flareon. However, all of the aforementioned Pokemon must be wary of a burn from Lava Plume as it renders them almost useless. Gurdurr is an exception, though; as it only gets stronger with status, it can switch into Flareon with impunity. It should be careful of setting up against on Flareon, however, as Flareon can Roar it out and remove all its boosts. Toxic and Toxic Spikes both reduce Flareon's walling capabilities dramatically; even if it runs Heal Bell, the opponent will eventually be able to status Flareon as Heal Bell only has a measly 8 PP.</p>

GP Approved (2/2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)