Probopass (Update) [QC REJECTED 3/3]

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Probopass

Changes:

- Removed the trapper set. I honestly don't see the point in using this when Magneton just does it so much better, unless you really want to trap Ferroseed without letting it set up or something, but Ferroseed lets Magneton set up a ton of Charge Beams, which is arguably more advantageous.
- Changed a bunch of things on the support set; it really should just use max Special Defense to take on Moltres etc as well as possible (HINT: max SpD Probopass is not even 2HKOed by LO Moltres's Fire Blast after Stealth Rock!), and I don't really see what the old EV spread does.
- Also, Volt Switch should be the sole move in the last slot. One of Probopass's selling points should be its ability to act as a bulky pivot with Volt Switch, and I'd like to see that in its analysis.
- Toxic is also really unnecessary too on that set, since Probopass won't be stalling out much with its metric ton of weaknesses, and Thunder Wave is much more useful to slow down stuff like Rotom and Moltres.
- I'm also doing some rewrites etc since some of the examples and such in the old analysis are irrelevant.

[Overview]

- Kinda like a poor man's (RU) version of Registeel, with more crippling weaknesses, but similar special bulk.
- Works decently in RU though, thanks to his key resistances to Normal-, Poison-, Bug-, Flying-, Ice-, Rock-, Ghost-, Dark-, Psychic-, and Dragon-type attacks.
- This array of resistances alongside his special bulk lets him check dangerous threats such as Moltres, Rotom, Galvantula, Lilligant, Rotom-C, Sigilyph (watch out for Cosmic Power sets and Hidden Power Fighting!), Mesprit, and Uxie, in addition to some physical attackers like Entei, Scyther, and Spiritomb.
- Unfortunately, the main reason why Probopass isn't used more is that he's just so easy to set up on. With a pathetically weak STAB attack, and no means to prevent the opponent from setting up other than his slow Taunt, he is often used as set up bait. Thunder Wave is thus really important in preventing this, but it still allows Probopass to be walled by
- Also, his 4x weaknesses to Ground- and Fighting-type attacks don't help his cause, as those types of attacks are everywhere in the RU metagame.
- Still, Probopass works well if you need a check against those powerful special threats while having a Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock consistently.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Power Gem
move 4: Volt Switch
item: Leftovers
ability: Sturdy
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

- Probopass makes a reliable user of Stealth Rock while checking numerous specially oriented threats in the RU metagame. Lilligant, Moltres, Rotom, Galvantula, Rotom-C, etc are all easily checked by this guy.
- Thunder Wave is the key in doing so; since Probopass is pathetically weak, Thunder Wave stops those fast threats in their tracks, which allows another Pokemon to easily dispatch them.
- However, Power Gem is still very useful, as though it is weak, it still hits foes like Moltres extremely hard. It also lets Probopass chip away against stuff like Manectric who are immune to Thunder Wave.
- Volt Switch is another gem that Probopass over, say, Steelix. It allows Probopass to act as a fantastic bulky pivot, as he will soak up an attack as he uses Volt Switch, which gets another, frailer Pokemon in safely.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- Max Special Defense allows him to take on stuff like Moltres, Galvantula, Rotom, Lilligant, etc as well as possible, as Probopass is not even 2HKOed by Life Orb Moltres's Fire Blast with Stealth Rock on the field.
- Alternately, run a physically defensive spread to take on stuff like Entei, but Probopass is usually better off beating special attackers.
- Sturdy is the recommended ability since with the above moves, Probopass can't do anything to Steel-types anyway, and Sturdy allows Probopass to always live attacks at full health and paralyze the offending Pokemon.
- Earth Power has some use to hit stuff like Steelix who can be annoying, but it's really, really weak unSTABed, and Power Gem or Volt Switch are usually better.
- Toxic is also an option to cripple walls like Slowking, but the beauty of Probopass lies in its ability to cripple fast sweepers with Thunder Wave
- Taunt is also pretty cool to stop stuff like Cosmic Power Sigilyph from wrecking, but Probopass is typically too slow to use it effectively.
- Pain Split can also be used as a form of recovery, but it's not very reliable, and Probopass needs every moveslot.

Teammates + Counters

- Cofagrigus works well alongside Probopass as it can take on those troublesome Fighting-types, and prevent spinblockers such as Sandslash or Hitmonchan from spinning away his hazard. Misdreavus is also particularly good as it can easily take on both Fighting- and Ground-types.
- Despite sharing a Ground-type weakness, Qwilfish actually works fairly well alongside Probopass too, as it can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes to assist Probopass, and can take on some physical attackers who Probopass loathes. Other Spikers work too since the combination of Stealth Rock from Probopass and their spikes will quickly wear down opponents.
- Works well alongside the Grass / Fire / Water core as he can somewhat take on stuff like Scyther and Druddigon who can pose problems for that core.

[Other Options]

- Magnet Pull based set, but it's usually inferior to Magneton.
- RestTalk is ok if you want Probopass to stick around, but it just kinda sits there and looks not-so pretty for most of the match.
- Flash Cannon for a Steel-type special STAB move.
- A bunch of random physical moves; Stone Edge, Iron Head, Earthquake, HEAD SMASH, elemental punches, etc, but Probopass is just too weak physically.
- Magic Coat is kinda cool to stop Probopass from being Taunted, and it's hilarious to put a Lilligant to sleep with it, but it's pretty meh overall.
- Torment for lulz.
- Gravity is something that Probopass can set up, and uh, I guess it can use Zap Cannon / Dynamic Punch to benefit from it?

[Checks and Counters]

- Ground-types utterly wreck Probopass as he can't hurt them at all. Sandslash can set up Stealth Rock in Probopass's face, spin away Probopass's own Stealth Rock, and easily knock him out with its powerful Earthquake. Rhydon and Golurk can set up a Substitute and rip Probopass or the switch in to shreds.
- Fighting-types are also nasty for him to face, though they can't switch in nearly as well as Ground-types due to Thunder Wave and Volt Switch. Hitmonchan can easily OHKO Probopass with Drain Punch, and can spin away hazards, while Hitmonlee has Limber to be immune to Thunder Wave and can Hi Jump Kick Probopass into oblivion.
- Set up sweepers like SubCM Uxie can just easily set up on this guy, though they should naturally be wary of switching into Thunder Wave.
- Lanturn can switch into Probopass's Electric-type moves with ease and wear him down with Scalds.
- Anything that is slow and isn't weak to Power Gem can check Probopass.

Hey SV! I'd like to suggest some changes:

• Remove Sigilyph from the list of Pokes Probopass deals with. Cosmic Power just sets up on it and LO + 3 Attacks runs HP Fighting which means Probo isn't exactly a good Poke to deal with it.
  • In the Overview mention that because Probo is such a great set-up fodder, T-Wave is crucial to deal with set-up Pokes.
  • I'm not sure you should mention Druddi as it doesn't really care about paralysis and has enough bulk to take Probo's weak attacks. Besides, it always runs Superpower. I guess Probo can check CB variants when combined with a Fighting resist.
  • In C&C mention that every slow Poke (doesn't care about T-Wave) that isn't weak to Power Gem can check Probo.
QC APPROVED 3/3

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ehh, Probopass actually isn't that bad of a check vs Sigilyph, since Life Orb HP Fighting is doing 55.56% - 66.67%, while Probopass can paralyze in return and Sigilyph's other STABs are doing little damage. If it's Calm Mind, it's still not that bad since Probopass can paralyze it to cripple, and switch to a physical attacker later to beat it down. I'll just be sure to mention that Cosmic Power sets set up on it. I agree with everything else though, so they've been changed accordingly.

This needs to be QC approved/rejected again since it's been sitting here for almost 4 months. I'm leaning towards rejecting it because Probopass is (sadly) outclassed by stuff like Steelix.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Hey, before you guys reject this and move this to locked and outdated, could you at least give me like a week to test this guy out again to see if it's still usable? I actually think that even though Nidoqueen is very problematic for Probopass, it still might deserve an analysis because that slow Volt Switch off such a bulky Pokemon, along with its access to Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave still make it seem usable. I'll also save some logs etc so you guys can look them over.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
Ok, so I've been thinking about this and yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you guys that Probopass just isn't worth it anymore. In a metagame that's dominated with Pokemon like Nidoqueen and Lanturn who are immune to Volt Switch, a slow Volt Switch isn't enough to make Probopass anything other than a liability for most teams, especially since he can't really check that many threats either. Really, anything that's such big Nidoqueen bait is really not a great Pokemon to use in this metagame :( .

QC Rejected 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)