UU Research Group #2 - Magneton, Crobat, Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello fellow UUers,

As many of you may have noticed, the lower tiers have been doing something called "Research Weeks" in order to boost the activity of their respective ladders and forums. We will be doing something similar, but since these things never actually last a week, we'll call it "Research Group." This project looks to investigate, and possibly boost the usage of, Pokemon that have potential in UU; be it through its stats, movepool, support capabilities, or simply to serve as an innovative choice in today's metagame. There will be three Pokemon per Research Group and they will be picked by me (feel free to VM/PM me with suggestions near the end of the current Group). Each Research Group will last approximately two weeks.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Research Group #2

[pimg]499[/pimg] [pimg]169[/pimg] [pimg]82[/pimg]
Rotom-H | Crobat | Magneton​

How useful are these Pokemon in UU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #genvuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Send me a PM / post here or on IRC with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge is the person who finishes with the highest rating on the alt they registered. If you win, you receive temporary hops on #genvuu, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

Current Participants:

Forum Name - Ladder Alt

kokoloko - Tokijin
hilarious - pogeymawn is fun
PsYch071c - Magneto
Blazebat - Blazebat.
FlareBlitz - Croflare
D4RR3N - -FantasticBaby-
DestinyUnknown - you blow my mind
Ace Emerald - Scientific Emerald
jamashawalker - jak3
The TTar - Pym

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
I will be using Magneton, killer of man. I'm going to try him on a sand team and a HO team with a bunch of pokes who share a common steel resistance. This lets me use many of my favorites, like Lilligant and P-Z.

Alt: Magneto

I will be using all three of them. Alt: Blazebat. (normally my name is grendelbot)

I see the opportunity for the stall breaking of crobat and the steel trapping of magneton as a great way to open a choice sweep.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
alt: Scientific Emerald

I'll be testing Magneton. I'm considering one of two routes: either a Sand team with Stoutland return spam, or a Dragon team. I'm starting with a Dragon team, highlighting Kingdra and Flygon and we'll see where this goes.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah I broke 1400 with this team in short order because Crobat is a sexy motherfucker. Magneton is...okay, although I think the recent influx of them has caused the metagame to adapt (seeing more offensive empoleon, CM Zong with HP Fire, etc). Rotom-H has been thoroughly unimpressive whenever I've faced it, but that's probably because everyone slaps a choice item on it. Come on guys, it has excellent bulk just from max HP and it walls Zapdos' entire moveset in addition to being an excellent counter to Shaymin and a good check to Roserade. Don't just put a choice scarf on it and turn it into a mediocre revenge killer with easily-walled STABs.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Magneton is...okay, although I think the recent influx of them has caused the metagame to adapt (seeing more offensive empoleon, CM Zong with HP Fire, etc).
This. As a special attacker, its mediocre at best. It can't reliably beat Cobalion, Bisharp, or even Bronzong 1v1. I've found an ok method of getting in, then scarf volt switching out, but it doesn't one-and-done take care of the steels like one would hope.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Finally peaked 1400, using one of my favorite teams ever that I made with DestinyUnknown. We have a core composed of Magneton, Kingdra, and Lilligant(my favorite poke obviously). Lilligant is completely useless when steels are on the opponents team, but Magneton fixes this. Kingdra is the perfect partner, loving the absence of Empoleon and taking advantage of those V-Creates aimed at the other two.

PS: Lum Berry is greater than Chesto any day.

Im not going to give the full team yet because me and Destiny are still using it.
Heres a screenshot because koko asked for it last time.

Gonna participate as my main alt: Jak3

And gonna be using crobat + Magneton. The two together seem to have good synergy. Crobat's main weakness is bulky water's and steels. Something magneton was literally made to counter. Gonna go with CB Crobat +Umbreon+Magneton core. From experience I already know Umbreon and crobat have AMAZING synergy and I was just thinkign the other day about how deadly Staraptor was, So lets see if crobat can get half way on its level.

EDIT: From about the 20 games I played, I concluded that CB Crobat has not lived up to the hype i thought it would. Its a revenge killer that cant muscle its way through anything. Brave Bird is pretty weak coming from it. It cant even do a clean up sweep cause of how weak CB is. Magneton is pretty average as well. The only steel it is able to kill is bronzong. And against bulky waters they can always get a scald on it which hinders it greatly, making it more of a liability than a support pokemon. Im gonna stop using Magneton and start focusing on other pokes for CB crobat to do better work.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
This. As a special attacker, its mediocre at best. It can't reliably beat Cobalion, Bisharp, or even Bronzong 1v1. I've found an ok method of getting in, then scarf volt switching out, but it doesn't one-and-done take care of the steels like one would hope.
Don't use choice scarf magneton, it sucks, use Magnet Rise to beat Bronzong instead. Also you beat bisharp with eviolite unless the opponent uses Brick Break (and who runs that)

P.S: the team I made with Psycho is doing work, Lilligant is pretty cool for my surprise, and magneton is sometimes a bit disappointing but it's ok in general, but don't forget it's a support pokemon at the end, so making a team that really benefits from its presence it's important. I should ladder since I have only done 5 battles lol -.-''

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I picked Rotom-H because I've already used Crobat a ton and I know its sexy and I just don't like Magneton.

I peaked at around 1350 and then lost a couple matches because the team was way too weak to Chandelure, I honestly cba to keep using it since I came up with a better team (which unfortunately doesn't use any research mons). Anyway, here's what I did:

Rotom-H @ Grass Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I paired that with the standard SubCM HP Ice Raikou to create a double Electric offensive core. It's the same old concept of luring one Pokemon's counters with a similar one, and since Rotom usually carries a Choice item, it's perfect for the job. Grass Gem is picked over Expert Belt because it needs the power to guarantee the OHKO on Swampert.

I only played about 20 matches with it because I genuinely do not like laddering, but it was a fun combo and did work every time.

Magneton is proving to be very disappointing. The usage shows that bronzong is pretty well used but aside from that he is an inferior electric type. Crobat is as awesome as ever being able to beat out almost any pokemon one on one with really accurate prediction. Rotom has been an inferior chandelure with slightly more support options in exchange for power.

kokoloko

I gotta tell ya, if you're perceiving Rotom-H as an inferior Chandelure, you're definitely using it wrong. They should not be playing similarly at all. Chandelure is a cannon--its purpose is to blow holes into the opposing team's defenses. Rotom-H is a Volt Switching pivot / lure.

I view the fire typing to be a hinderance to that (yes I am running a rapid spinner to counteract rocks) switching around. I thought I would capitalize on the fire stab and electric stab as two powerful offensive options. I suppose I was using him more as cannon then lure but that was where I thought I saw utility that only he could provide.

I tested Crobat and rotom-H on the same team with alt smearplease. Am I doing it right? Luckily they do have natural synergy. I tried a superfang stallbreaker set and a rotom-h was specially defensive will-o-bot (I never liked choiced sets).

Superfang crobat was underwhelming, maybe I just had an unlucky streak of steel and electric types. I probably could have supported it more though. In the end superfang crobat just gets outclassed by somethig like sableye. In the end I just switched it out for something else.

Rotom-H s a very good pokemon though. Saying it's inferior to chandelure straight up is wrong. It's typing suits UU very well with zapdos present etc. The influx of offensive empoleon is worrying though. They actually outsped my rotom sometimes
-.-

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
I have come to like Magneton a lot lately, as a steel trapper, of course, but also as a great check to sand teams. It can tank a few hits from Stoutland, and almost nothing on sand teams like switching in to Flash Cannon. Most people really underestimate his power; he 2HKO's most pokes in UU. His lack of lefties recovery is a letdown, but on offensive teams it is great to have a solid switch-in to Stoutland who can hit back hard.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I like these research weeks and I am sorry to say I was just too lazy to participate more than I did for this week. As it is, I only reached 1260 or so with this team partly because I was lazy but mainly because it sucked, badly.

Crobat (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Pursuit

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 12 Def / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Ice Beam

Rhyperior (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 80 HP / 236 Atk / 16 Def / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Obviously the team is centered around Crobat/Kingdra/Flygon launching major attacks with Magneton taking out Steels for them. Crobat is pretty good in my opinion with CB although you basically kiss all your bulk good-bye with recoil, SR weakness and sand. At first I tried Specs Magneton which was pretty horrible, especially because Brzong kept on KOing me with EQ. Don't use Magneton too recklessly because it has very limited bulk, for instance Empoleon KOs you easily with Hydro Pump (someone was using offensive Empoleon) if you are Specs. Lack of coverage for Eviolite Magneton was a huge problem since I used Magnet Rise and Sub, I was thinking of forgoing Sub to get Flash Cannon or something in so I could touch Roserade. It just sucks when you set up a Sub on a dead Bronzong only to be walled and possibly be set up on with your Sub up.

Essentially, Crobat is decent with CB as an attacker and a revenge killer in some cases while Magneton is meh at best, and very poor with Specs.

kokoloko

since this seems to have died down a bit, i will post the next group tomorrow or later today, but for now go ahead and keep posting if you have anything!

edit: k i posted the next one so if someone could unstick that and stick this, that'd be swell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)