Dual Weather: am I doing it right?

These days my friend said I should make a stall team, that stall fits better my playstyle. But I was intending to make a dual weather team, so I could disrupt opposing weather and still keeping advantage. And my mind told me "why not try both together?"...

Teambuilding

Hail is by far the best weather for stall. Since the only option I have is Abomasnow, here it is.

This is a dual weather, so I need a second weather inducer. Hippowdon is the main option in stall teams thanks to access to Slack Off.

Now the spiker. I thought about Skarmory, but standard pokes are kinda boring to run. Since this team has Hail I opted for Froslass, who could also work as a spin blocker.

Abomasnow is a magnet for fire attacks, so Heatran must come in.

Now the Toxic Spiker. Again, I could simply go to Tentacruel, but I wanna try something different. Nidoqueen came to my mind, thanks to her all around bulky and some offensive threat thanks to Sheer Force.

With 2 physical walls I needed a second special wall. Claydol was my pick since it can spin hazards.​

My tem was lacking both power and speed, and Claydol wasn't really successful. Alakazam was my pick since it don't take damage from weather nor hazards.

Reuniclus was giving this team a really hard time. Spiritomb is the greatest Reuniclus check I ever met.

With Spiritomb Froslass duty as a spinblocker wasn't needed anymore, giving me the space for a better hazard setuper. Since I gave up on Nidoqueen too, Foretress was my answer, solving both hazards and spinning problems.

The Team

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning

EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Wood Hammer
This set runs much like a SubSeed one. I only gave up on Substitute for Protect and for one reason: Abomasnow is slow, so Protect give me more residual damage than Substitute. Also, most teams revolves around a certain weather, and it is almost for sure that the desired weather isn't hail, so this guy cause a lot of switches. Free switches means that Leech Seed is almost likely to hit someone.
Dragons likes to setup in front of him, and Ice Shard usually deal with them, since they already have taken some damage from Seeds and hail. Lastly, there is Wood Hammer, a good way Abomasnow have to bypass his lack of offense, giving serious damages in anything weak to it.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
The hippo has two roles in this team. One of them, of course, is to set the sandstorm. The second one is to work as a physical tank. Unfortunately Nidoqueen isn't an awesome tank, and without Hippowdon my team would be totally wrecked by any Terrakion set.
Roar is the main move here, especialy because most of the times at least Stealth Rocks will be already set. If any kind of Spikes is also set Roar will do more damage than Earthquake, seriously.
Without Slack Off this guy couldn't take half of the tackles it actually does, and there isn't any other mean of recover in this team besides Leech Seed.
I learned that any poke with a groud STAB should run Earthquake with my UU Gligar, and this guy isn't different. Even not having a great atk stat, it can give some decent damage thanks to the STAB.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
252 Sp. Atk / 4 SP. Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Fire Blast
Roar
Earth Power
Hidden Power Grass
As Dragontongue195040 mentioned, defensive Heatran was doing anything for me. I changed to the offensive build he adviced, this way I could counter opposing Heatrans and hit hard everything else.
Fire Blast is the main STAB here, hitting hard most things that don't resist it. Earth Power is here to counter opposing Heatran and some other fire types, since this team can't deal with some fire users.
Lastly, I opted for HP Grass instead of Ice because most of the times I must roar away opposing dragons, or they would simply kill Heatran. HP Grass, otherwise, can defeat the Water/Ground peskys that loves to switch in Heatran, mainly because most of them are quite slow.

Alakazam (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
This guy get rid of two problems this team had: lack of power and lack of speed. Late game it can get rid of everything that isn't scarfed, and most of the times scarfed pokes can't deal with my other pokes, so it can land many kills before getting down. I tried a Focus Sash build, but the Life Orb bonus is quite useful against bulkier pokemon like Celebi and Latias.
These four moves gives an awesome coverage for Alakazam, making possible Alakazam OHKO most pokes with the hazard and weather suport. And it isn't perfect only because of Focus Blast's lack of accuracy.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
The most annoying set possible for a Spiritomb. Even with the weather damage Spiritomb is quite hard to take down because of its combination of good bulk and and awesome weakness-less typing. Max Def with Calm Mind turns the ghost a real tank. Rest and Sleep Talk raises its durability, and Sleep Talk give me an answer (even not being the best one) against Breloom. Dark Pulse is the option as the ofensive moce because it can hit any pokemon, and a non-STAB move isn't an option because of the lack of ofense this guy has.

Forretress (F) @ Rocky Helmet Trait: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Rapid Spin
The master of hazards. Forretress can set all the three entry hazards at the same time it can get rid of it. Since Hippowdon already is a great Rocks setuper there was no need to put it in here too. Pain Split is one of the few ways Forretress of recovering. My team was lacking a spinner before, and it can do this job quite well.

I'd just like to point out that Heatran does not get the SpD boost in sandstorm, since only rock types get that bonus.

I'd also like to point out that Claydol doesn't get the SDef boost either.

A few things,

That's the cutest picture of Heatran I've ever seen, and is totally worth posting in this thread to say that !

I'm always happy to see UU pokemon in OU and Nidoqueen is no exception, but I think you might want to switch her set around a little.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Sheer Force
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Blizzard
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

This gives you pretty good coverage only being resisted by Shedinja and Bronzong. You can run Fire Blast/ Flamethrower over Sludge wave if you want, but that set is resisted by Rotom-W and Rotom-H, both of which are more common that Bronzong/ Shedinja.

You also don't have a safe switch to Life Orb Mamoswine, he resists both your weathers and with the right move KO anyone on your team. To remedy this you might want to think about using Skarmory over Froslass. It pains me to say that as I also love Froslass to death.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Whirlwind / Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird

If you're super adamant about keeping the Frosslass, Id say skip out on the focus sash, as sandstorm all but makes it worthless. You could try the bulky Sub snow cloak abuse set.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Blizzard

This set makes it a little easier to set up and makes it a little harder for Scizor to rain on your parade.

At work right now So i'll add more if I see anything when I get off!

Hey man. Looks like a pretty solid team you have here, would just like to tweak the Heatran set a little bit.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire, Timid
252 Sp. Atk, 4 SP. Def, 252 Spe
Fire Blast
Roar/SR
Earth Power
HP ice
Offensive Heatran wrecks your team, as your only counter to it, your own Heatran, can't touch it. Offensive heatran is a powerhouse, KO'ing tons of foes with it's STAB Fire Blast. Earth Power is to hit those steel types that would give you endless trouble, and HP ice is specifically for Ground types that are super weak to it- as it OHKO's Gliscor and Landorus. It also pops the balloon of other Heatran, erasing it as a counter. The second move is optional; you can decide from SR, or Roar.

Hey, I like your idea of dual-weather. It's a pretty unexplored concept. However, I have a couple suggestions that could really help improve your team.

First off, Rain teams completely threaten this team as you have 4 weaknesses to water and only 1 resistance to it (that being Abomasnow).

For that reason I would recommend Tentacruel > Nidoqueen, as Tentacruel is a great wall against Rain teams and it gets Toxic Spikes as well as Rapid Spin. Running Blizzard on Tentacruel is also a smart idea since half of your weather is Hail, so whenever hail is up, you can hit Dragons hard.

Tentacruel
Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 204 HP / 208 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Blizzard

Although Tentacruel does quite well against rain teams, you still have an underlying weakness to water-types. The main problem with Sand and Hail is it is conflicting; Kyurem's high-powered Blizzard hits 50% accuracy if Sand is up and Landorus is weakened in Hail. I still believe this can be worked around, though.

Reuniclus is a great set-up sweeper and seeing as how you seem to prefer a more defensive approach, it can benefit you greatly. Try out this Bulky CM Reuniclus set and see if it works out for you.

Reuniclus
Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

All in all, your team has great potential, and with a little bit of testing and tweaking, I'm sure it will do great! Good luck!

Hey I like the team, but it seems to me like there are some weaknesses that could definitely be covered up. First of all, claydol and nidoqueen can have their jobs combined into one quite easily by simply putting Tentacruel on the team. This set would probably do.

Tentacruel@leftovers
Bold
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Blizzard/Ice Beam
252 hp/240 def/16 spe
Standard smogon set w/ Blizzard in place of protect/ice beam.

Now you have a slight terrakion weakness, but you can use a Gliscor to easily remedy this, and it is also a great help to hail and sand teams alike. I'd recommend this set.
Gliscor@toxic orb
Impish
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Protect
252 hp/36 def/220 spe
The speed ev's are meant to outspeed lucario and toxicroak, which can both be a nuisance with a swords dance up and especially because both can run ice punch which defeats most other gliscors.

TLDR version
Nidoqueen--> Gliscor
Claydol-->Tentacruel

sets: Gliscor@toxic orb
Impish
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Earthquake
-Protect
252 hp/36 def/220 spe

Tentacruel@leftovers
Bold
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Blizzard/Ice Beam
252 hp/240 def/16 spe

Oh, there's alot of feedback here, I really appreciate it. Thanks you ll, guys. Now, let me answer:

XcRunner & IbanezObsession: I know that Tentacruel is the best option for Toxic Spikes, specially because it can spin hazards away. but I'm wanting to use some different pokes here. By now, I'll keep Nidoqueen, but if everything else fails I'll have to run Tenta.

IbanezObsession again: I got in a close call of yours in my tests. But instead of Reuniclus, someone I really love to run, I decided to run Life Orb Alakazam. Alakazam did two things this team was lacking: power and speed. I'm thinking in changing Life Orb for Focus Sash or swaping Ala for Reuni... This need test, indeed.

XcRunner again: indeed, Terrakion gives me some trouble. I swaped Claydol for LO Alakazam as mentioned before, who wrecks non-scarfs one. I'll see what i'll do about it now.

Dragontongue195040: yeah, defensive Heatran wasn't doing much for me... I'll try the offensive set by now.

Ninelol: hey, there is still some love for non-OU pokemon here! by now, I'll stick in Froslass, since I already noticed that Skarmory would do a better work here, just like Nido vs Tenta. but in your Nidoqueen build I really miss the Protect, because it can give me some recovers and free damage. I'll try the moves changes, though.

team updated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)