Ursaring (QC 3/3)

Don't poke the bear...
[pimg]217[/pimg]
Ursa...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!!!!

[Overview]

<p> Just making it out of the woods of Johto, this grizzly is ready to tear BW apart. Sporting a monster base 130 Attack stat, Guts, Quick Feet and access to STAB Facade makes Ursaring quite a dawnting pokemon to face. But hang on, Ursaring has a lackluster speed stat of 55, and rather average 90 / 75 / 75 defenses. When using Ursaring it's simply a pick a poison scenario, lack of speed with Guts or lack of power with Quick Feet. </p>

[SET]
name: The Village Crusher (Guts)
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Swords Dance / Protect
item: Flame Orb
ability: Guts
nature:Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> With the activation of Guts, Facade's power doubles to an incredible base 140, and with STAB it reaches an absolutely insane base 210. The sheer amount of power is enough to 2HKO 252/252 Bold Weezing, one of NUs biggest physical walls. Close Combat serves as coverage to nail Rock-types like Golem and Regirock while Earthquake serves as a less powerful, but safer move to nail the same pokemon, along with the perk of nailing Magmortar Super-effectively, but a neutral Facade still hits harder either way. Crunch serves as insurance against Ghosts, like Misdreavus and Haunter, who wall Ursaring otherwise. Swords Dance turns Ursaring into an even more insane powerhouse by boosting its attack stat to a mindblowing 1182 with an adamant nature, which will decimate anything that tries to brunt an attack. Protect serves as a safety net to always activate the Orb and can also scout for the opponent's attacks. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- ev'd for maximum attack power and best speed, nature for power or speed
- is sadly not that fast, needs para support to try and sweep (Regirock and Amoonguss make good teammates).
- works better as a wall breaker (doesn't give a fuck about sturdymons if you have spikes or rocks down)
- Doesn't need to worry about ghosts, misdreavus is 2hko'd by Crunch and is immune to missy's STAB)
- Edgequake
- Can use another item and prey on mons abusing Will-O-Wisp or Toxic to nab a free switch and a guts boost

[SET]
name: Quick Feet
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Swords Dance / Protect
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Quick Feet
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Attempts to sweep by boosting its speed by 50%, enough to outspeed neutral 105's (Kadabra, Cryogonal, Rapidash) and important sweepers like Sawsbuck and Charizard
- Status doubles Facade's Power to 140, while STAB boosts it to an insane 210 Base Power.
- Close Combat to nail Rock-types (Golem, Probopass, Regirock)
- Earthquake is a little less powerful but can accomplish the same thing without the Defensive drop caused by Close Combat.
- Crunch for Psychics and Ghosts (Gardevoir, Musharna, Misdreavus)
- Swords Dance to boost Ursa's power to ridiculous levels
- Protect to guarantee Orbs activation

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Max Attack Evs for power
- Max Speed and Nature to play the best for the Quick Feet boost
- Don't run Flame Orb, it affects Ursaring's attack stat
- Hazards help with KOes (Regirock, Golem, Garbador, Cacturne)
- Likes other mons who can soften up some walls like Regirock, which avoids a KO because of the lack of power that Guts has. (Sawk, Gurdurr, Granbull, Absol)

[Other Options]
- RestTalk
- Elemental Punches (lack of power)
- Seed Bomb (lol)
- Bulk Up / Belly Drum
- Substitute

[Checks and Counters]
- Regirock is 2hko'd by Close Combat but can hit hard back with Ursaring's weakened Defense
- Tangela is 3hko'd by Facade but can hit a weakened Ursaring with Giga Drain
- Misdreavus can switch in on Facade and Close Combat and hit Ursaring with Hidden Power Fighting
- Outspeeding Ursaring can help after Ursa has taken damage: Choice Scarf mons or anything faster than Base 105 in case of Quick Feet
- Walls with recovery moves can stall out Ursaring (Tangela does it best) and Substitute mons that outspeed Ursaring (Serperior especially) can also stall it out before killing

breh

強いだね
shouldn't set 1 use toxic orb for the sake of ambiguity? when you see flame orb, you know immediately that it's guts.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget to mention that if you use Regirock for paralysis support, you rack up a Fighting-type weakness. This makes Amoonguss, and Psychic- and Ghost-types (Gardevoir, Musharna, Misdreavus, and Swoobat (4x resistance + Taunt + Amazing Speed)) superior choices. But Regirock has SR ofc.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something I feel deserves a mention on here is RestTalk Ursaring...the set is this:

Ursaring (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Guts
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return
- Crunch / Close Combat

While it sacrifices the power of Facade (which doesn't work with Sleep) it lasts way longer, and can be an absolute menace for stall and balanced teams to take down. Return is the next best STAB move (Double Edge is actually usable on this), and Crunch hits Ghosts. Close Combat is cool for hitting Rock / Steel types, but defense drops and being unable to touch Ghosts is bad. I've found it to be really effective in beating Ghost-types particularly, as well as things like Quagsire and Lickilicky, who are otherwise semi-safe coming in. It also lasts for a decent amount of time, with very respectable bulk. The Speed EVs are to outspeed Alomomola (another thing this beats easily), rest in HP and Atk. I've found it really good, so even if its not its own set then OO?

There should probably be a mention of this on a Trick Room team somewhere, and the alterative EV spread that would need. It has great synergy with setters like Musharna and with minimum EVs it is really really slow.

I guess theres not really much else to say, just stress how damn powerful the Guts set is. It breaks through the best physical walls, Tangela etc.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should probably expand the Overview a bit in general (although idk if you were planning on doing that in the write-up, I just tend to write out almost everything I want to say in skeleton format anyway). Really emphasize how Guts makes Ursaring and how it literally shreds through all defensive cores. You could also stress the differences between QF Ursa and Swellow, since that's a big choosing point between Swellow and Ursaring (Swellow has better typing/Speed and gets Brave Bird and U-turn, while Ursaring's Facade is stronger and it gets good coverage moves, in particular CC).

I'd also like some more exploration on teammates, since Ursaring really isn't self-supporting and cannot simply be slapped on a team. Guts Ursaring should definitely mention some faster partners who can tear through a team after it smashes all of the walls. Stuff like Gurdurr is worth mentioning, since it appreciates how Ursaring fucks all Psychic-types and Ghost-types. Bulkier Pokemon in general can also be noted, because Guts Ursaring is still frail and pretty weak to revenge killing. QF Ursaring needs mention of doing stuff like eliminating/paralyzing faster Pokemon or Scarf users, since it's still not the fastest around even with Quick Feet. Emphasize the different playstyle between the two sets in the write-up too, since QF is much more like a clean-up sweeper (aka you have to pair it with wallbreakers and whatnot, and Spikes/SR are far more useful) and Guts just fucks everything. Like, holy shit, it cleanly 2HKOes Alomomola and Tangela. @__@

shouldn't set 1 use toxic orb for the sake of ambiguity? when you see flame orb, you know immediately that it's guts.
I'm not sure if ambiguity is enough reason to justify Toxic Orb instead of Flame Orb. The opponent will probably be able to tell that it's Guts after a turn anyway, purely based on the damage output. I'd slash it regardless, though, since Ursaring could very well be switching out or dying within the first few turns of being in anyway (maybe it's just me, but I can't ever stick around with Ursaring).

@ above: I have yet to test it, but it's definitely OO material, if not worthy of a set on its own.

Ursaring doesn't really need partners. I usually just throw it on a team that has trouble with a lot of walls to break through them. (Add mention of Ursaring being a good wall breaker partner in AC) Stress how well Ursaring wallbreaks. Often with a stall team you have to resort to wasting its health with smart switches.... and that's not a very reliable strategy.

Mention in the village crusher AC that Guts Ursaring does tremendous damage to stall teams but often won't do that much to offensive teams.

Done, and done. Zeb I was going to mention that stuff but makes the skelly look better overall. Django I'll test that set, it looks like it could work well on a more balanced team that could play on Ursaring staying around for a while.

breh

強いだね
Hitting Garbodor SE before guts activates?

It also has a biiiit more BP, meaning you can do stuff like occasionally 2HKO Regirock with Guts active.

After Guts is on, EQ may well be the better option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)