Magmortar (Update)

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Magmortar has long been considered slightly underwhelming; in fact, it was left floundering in NU for the entirety of DPP and the majority of BW. However, Magmortar has found its time to shine in RU. Its excellent base 125 Special Attack and expansive movepool, including Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and a variety of Hidden Powers, are but a few of the primary reasons for its rise to stardom. Magmortar also boasts a solid base 95 Attack stat that, in conjunction with access to Cross Chop and Earthquake, enables it to blow straight past special walls, such as Clefable and Lanturn. Although Magmortar might not be particularly fast, that odd base 83 Speed grants it the opportunity to outspeed the myriad of Pokemon sitting at and around base 80 Speed, such as Medicham, Gallade, and Hitmonchan. On top of this, Magmortar appears to be perfectly suited to the RU metagame. The tier's premier special wall, Slowking, would usually be a full stop to any special attacking Fire-type, but Magmortar has no problem disposing of it with repeated Thunderbolt and entry hazard damage. The icing on the cake is that Magmortar can bypass one of the most common status conditions to be inflicted in RU: sleep. Tangrowth and Lilligant are extremely popular Pokemon that Magmortar can switch into and eliminate with impunity thanks to Vital Spirit; Magmortar can also deal with the odd Smeargle lead by absorbing Spore and limiting the number of layers it gets up to a maximum of two.</p>

<p>By now you're probably wondering why on Earth Magmortar isn't used on every single RU team. Well, unfortunately for our fiery friend there are a couple of things halting its climb to number 1 on the usage ladder. A couple of sharp, pointy things. Yes, Magmortar despises entry hazards as it is susceptible to all three. To compound this weakness, due to its decidedly average defenses, Magmortar has trouble finding good opportunities where it can switch in. The metaphorical nail in the coffin comes from Magmortar's mediocre defensive typing, which leaves it with weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type attacks, as well as its below average Speed. However, don't let these downsides put you off. Magmortar's merits far outweigh its flaws and it is one of RU's premier Fire-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Substitute
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
ability: Vital Spirit
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Equipped with its excellent coverage and high powered moves, Magmortar has no trouble blasting past RU's most common walls; Steelix, Tangrowth, Sandslash, Roselia, Rhydon, and Qwilfish are all OHKOed after Stealth Rock. Even RU's premier special walls, Slowking and Clefable, are 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage. Although Magmortar's average Speed stops it from pulling off a sweep alone, its great offensive presence and movepool ensure that RU's walls will never be safe with Magmortar waiting in the wings. Fire Blast provides Magmortar with an immensely powerful STAB attack and inflicts huge amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. It is Magmortar's most spammable attack, and is what you should be using early-game when scouting the opponent's team. Not only does Thunderbolt give Magmortar coverage against Water- and Flying-types, but it also enables it to get past Slowking, a Pokemon capable of walling most special attackers (especially Fire-types). Having Focus Blast ensures that two of RU's sturdiest special walls, Clefable and Munchlax, don't stop Magmortar's rampage in its tracks, although its accuracy can sometimes be a let down. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set's coverage by getting OHKOs against Rhydon and Quagsire, as well as a 2HKO against Lanturn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs ensure that Magmortar outspeeds all neutral-natured Pokemon with base 80 Speed, as well as maximizing its damage output. A super effective attack coming from a Modest nature and an Expert Belt hits harder than the equivalent of a Timid nature and a Life Orb, and is therefore the first choice for both item and nature. On top of this, Magmortar will often be hitting the enemy super effectively thanks to its great coverage, and therefore it doesn't really miss the Life Orb boost. Finally, and most importantly, using an Expert Belt stops Magmortar from being worn down so easily by stall teams that attempt to stall it out with Life Orb recoil. Entry hazards, status, and recoil all take a serious toll on Magmortar's health, so by limiting one of those, Magmortar will be able to stay alive and wreak havoc for a longer period of time.</p>

<p>By running a spread of 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe along with a positive Speed nature, Magmortar ensures that it can outspeed every Pokemon hovering around the 80 Speed mark. A Life Orb gives a strong boost to Magmortar's attacks and is especially useful when you need to hit certain Pokemon, such as Aggron, Druddigon, and Altaria, for as much damage as possible with neutral attacks. Vital Spirit is key to Magmortar's success. It gives Magmortar the switch-in opportunities it needs to do damage; Smeargle, Tangrowth, and Lilligant are all easy Pokemon for Magmortar to take advantage of. Hidden Power Ice hurts Altaria and Druddigon, two of Magmortar's best counters, more than any other of its attacks. Hidden Power Ice also stops Magmortar from having to rely on Focus Blast's shaky inaccuracy to harm Druddigon. Earthquake hits other Fire-types, such as Entei, Typhlosion, Flareon, and Camerupt, harder than any other attack, and will OHKO the less defensive of those Pokemon. Flamethrower can be used as a more reliable alternative to Fire Blast, although the loss in power is very noticeable.</p>

<p>Magmortar absolutely despises entry hazards, so packing a spinner is almost a necessity. Sandslash makes for a great teammate as it resists Rock-type moves and can set up Stealth Rock to wear down Magmortar's counters. Cryogonal, on the other hand, is immune to Ground-type moves thanks to Levitate, and takes little from most Water attacks thanks to its excellent base 135 Special Defense. Roselia and Ferroseed both share good defensive synergy with Magmortar and can set up the hazards that are essential in helping Magmortar achieve those KOs. Ferroseed can also spread paralysis with Thunder Wave in order to bypass Magmortar's average Speed. Feraligatr partners well with Magmortar as it can set up on and take out the Fire-types that give Magmortar trouble. In return, Magmortar easily dispatches the Grass-types that try to put a stop to Feraligatr's sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to its expansive movepool and good attacking stats, Magmortar can run a wide variety of sets (with varying degrees of success). With Choice Specs equipped, Magmortar's attacks become incredibly powerful, and Magmortar is now able to 2HKO Slowking 100% of the time with Thunderbolt. On the other hand, a Choice Scarf gives Magmortar enough Speed to outrun the entire unboosted tier, as well as land surprise KOs on opponents expecting a more conventional Expert Belt set. However, both of these sets are held back due to Magmortar's inability to switch moves, its low defenses, and its weakness to entry hazards. Magmortar also has a large, though oft-neglected, physical movepool. With Flare Blitz for STAB, along with Earthquake, Cross Chop, Mach Punch, and ThunderPunch for coverage, Magmortar can surprise a lot of its usual counters, as well as handily deal with Fire-types. Magmortar also has Belly Drum to boost its Attack to astronomical levels. As cool as physical Magmortar sounds, its only average Attack and low Speed hold it back. Magmortar has an ample selection of alternative STAB moves to choose from. Overheat has incredible power and is more accurate than Fire Blast, Lava Plume can spread burns to make up for Magmortar's low Defense, and Flamethrower is slightly less powerful than Fire Blast, but it is much more reliable. Taunt enables Magmortar to easily take out defensive Grass-types, such as Roselia and Tangrowth, whereas Will-O-Wisp can spread status. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, although the loss in coverage is quite severe and the loss of health can severely reduce Magmortar's lifespan. Finally, Magmortar can use Cross Chop to hit special walls hard, although most are hit hard enough by Magmortar's standard moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to its great power and coverage, Magmortar doesn't have many counters in the strictest sense of the word; few walls can afford to take two hits (one on the switch in, another as they move second) from the most effective move. Slowking is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock, Munchlax can't do anything to Magmortar but Whirlwind it away, and Lanturn is 2HKOed by Hidden Power Grass. On top of this, there aren't many Pokemon faster than Magmortar that can take a super effective attack or a neutral Fire Blast. The best way to stop Magmortar cold, however, is to go by that old saying: "fight fire with fire". Not only does Flareon boast good special bulk, it also lacks a weakness to any of Magmortar's common attacks, while resisting two of them. Furthermore, Flareon can recover and support the team with Wish and Protect, as well as Toxic stall Magmortar. Flareon can also choose to phaze Magmortar out with Roar, which is especially potent when paired with entry hazards. Camerupt is also an excellent counter to Magmortar as it resists Fire Blast, is immune to Thunderbolt, and takes little from a neutral Hidden Power Grass. However, due to its relatively low defenses, Camerupt doesn't enjoy taking too many Focus Blasts. RU's resident Dragon-types, Druddigon and Altaria, stick out as two of Magmortar's most solid counters. Druddigon resists all of Magmortar's moves bar Cross Chop and can OHKO it with Outrage, whereas Altaria is much more defensive and can set up on Magmortar thanks to its good bulk. However, both of the aforementioned Dragons are easily taken care of by Hidden Power Ice. As long as Lanturn doesn't switch into it, Lanturn can take at least one hit from Hidden Power Grass and hit back with a STAB Scald or Surf. When it comes to revenge killing Magmortar, any faster Pokemon that carries a super effective move, such as Archeops, Aerodactyl, or Sceptile, will get the job done easily. One of the easiest ways of limiting Magmortar's effectiveness isn't by carrying a dedicated counter, but by ensuring that you get as many hazards up as soon as possible. Magmortar can lose over half its health just by switching in should it have the misfortune of landing on a complete set of entry hazards. On top of this, Life Orb Magmortar has to deal with recoil wearing it down each time it attacks. As long as you use clever switching and constantly force Magmortar out, it shouldn't be able to harm your team a great deal.</p>

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is how I would put the set.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
nature: Modest
evs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Speed

I don't really think a mixed set is Magmortar's best option, and honestly Focus Blast gets nearly all the same KOs. I would move Cross Chop to AC. Now I know this might be controversial, but I would actually have Expert Belt as the primary slash instead of Life Orb because Magmortar really relies on its longevity (special bulk and no Life Orb recoil) to damage teams over a long period of time. The power drop is insignificant (although I think LO can 2HKO Slowking without SR all the time while Expert Belt only does some of the time), but the added longevity is really helpful. Especially since Magmortar is so susceptible to hazards. You can drop the Speed too, since everything around base 80 doesn't run max Speed. Things like Feraligatr, Medicham, Kabutops, etc. I wouldn't even stay in on in the first place so 180 Speed outspeeds Cryogonal so it can't spin before you kill it. Also, the added bulk helps a bit since you can take Scalds from Lanturn and Slowking if needed.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay! first QC check! dont hurt me if i get something wrong

Overview: looks okay, actually, might edit in something later

now for the set

1) Focus Blast>Cross Chop, it hits every target that cross chop hits for a good amount of damage and its more useful in general with magmortar's high special attack, it also 2hkos druddigon bar a focus MISS Leave Cross Chop mentioned in the AC/OO, though.

2) Slash in expert belt as an item choice: magmortar has excellent super effective coverage between its moves, one of the reasons why its such a good wallbreaker, expert belt gives you a similar power boost to Life Orb, but removes the recoil, allowing magmortar to last much longer in a match.

3) Psychic in OO, explain why its bad and does nothing so people stop using psychic magmortar =(.

4) Subpunch also has some worth i guess, but why use focus punch when you could spam focus blast to kill everything punch hits? maybe another OO set

5) in Checks and counters mention some uncommon, yet effective counters to it, this would include things like flareon/lampent/Grumpig etc, they arent common, hell the last two are probably not even relavent (only one i see at least once in a blue moon is flareon), but they are still options, and still counter magmortar, so they should be mentioned imo.

add that, wait for changes that occur in BW2 and ill relook, if theres nothing else that needs to be changed then this is it

[*]Due to its great power and coverage, Magmortar doesn't have any counters in the true meaning of the word; Slowking is 2HKOed by Tbolt after Stealth Rock, Munchlax can't do anything to Magmortar but Whirldwind it away, Lanturn is 2HKOed by HP Grass. The key is good prediction.
[*]Magmortar is easily revenge killed by faster Pokemon; basically anything that can outspeed it and carries a super effective move will do (Archeops, Aerodactyl, Sceptile).
[*]Druddigon and Altaria are its two most solid counters; the former resists all of Magmortar's moves bar Cross Chop and can OHKO it with Outrage, the latter is more defensive and can set up on Magmortar thanks to its good bulk. However, both greatly fear Hidden Power Ice.
[*]Entry hazards will always be the best way to counter Magmortar. It can take 50% damage a become badly poisoned from full hazards alone. Life Orb recoil just wears it down even more. As long as you use cleve switching and force it out continuosly, it won't do much harm.
[/LIST]
this is probably overly picky, but I think Druddigon and Altaria should be mentioned before Slowking and Lanturn, because, as you say, they are the best counters. A specially defensive Druddigon set (although very rare) is only 4HKOed by any move you listed even after SR and is only 2HKOed 39% of the time by HP [ice] after SR (cannot 2HKO without SR). Meanwhile a non-invested EQ has a chance to OHKO a Hasty Magmortar (at full health).

A very rare counter to be sure, but certainly a good one.

Otherwise really good, but I would leave HP [ice] slashed with HP [grass] for this reason. Also, I would agree with Molk on the Focus Blast > Cross Chop, possibly make that a slash, since your spread doesn't invest in attack anyway, it's an easy flip to make.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay! first QC check! dont hurt me if i get something wrong

Overview: looks okay, actually, might edit in something later

now for the set

1) Focus Blast>Cross Chop, it hits every target that cross chop hits for a good amount of damage and its more useful in general with magmortar's high special attack, it also 2hkos druddigon bar a focus MISS Leave Cross Chop mentioned in the AC/OO, though.

done

2) Slash in expert belt as an item choice: magmortar has excellent super effective coverage between its moves, one of the reasons why its such a good wallbreaker, expert belt gives you a similar power boost to Life Orb, but removes the recoil, allowing magmortar to last much longer in a match.

ditto

3) Psychic in OO, explain why its bad and does nothing so people stop using psychic magmortar =(.

4) Subpunch also has some worth i guess, but why use focus punch when you could spam focus blast to kill everything punch hits? maybe another OO set

To quote Ray Jay

"x move could be used instead of y move, but it is generally inferior"The object is to tell the player the best option, not to tell them how to lose.
5) in Checks and counters mention some uncommon, yet effective counters to it, this would include things like flareon/lampent/Grumpig etc, they arent common, hell the last two are probably not even relavent (only one i see at least once in a blue moon is flareon), but they are still options, and still counter magmortar, so they should be mentioned imo.

I added Flareon because it does a decent job but the other two are so random that I don't think they have any role outside of countering Mag.

add that, wait for changes that occur in BW2 and ill relook, if theres nothing else that needs to be changed then this is it
@lars; I considered leaving HP Ice in, but it really has no use outside of those two, whereas HP Grass is so useful for Rhydon, Lanturn, Quagsire.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flame Charge and Choice Scarf definitely need to be mentioned in OO.
Also, you say that the EV spread outspeeds Cryogonal, however, you need to mention that it only outspeeds defensive Cryogonal, and offensive variants can outspeed and do heavy damage with Hidden Power Ground.
I have to agree with Lars in that Hidden Power Ice should be slashed alongside as it grants Magmortar greater coverage against Altaria and Druddigon. Rhydon is OHKOed by Focus Blast after Stealth Rock while Quagsire gets KOed by a combination of Fire Blast and Focus Blast. Altaria on the other hand takes pittance from any of Magmortars other moves and can easily setup on it.
Also I don't see the point in lowering Magmortar's Speed, Gallade, Medicham, Gatr, and Kabutops are all dangerous and common threats that Magmortar can outspeed with more Speed investment. Unless, the HP evs protect Magmortar from certain important KOs, I don't see the point of them.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unless Modest gets some really important KOs, you should definitely be using Timid and enough Speed to beat base 80s.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
OK, after long consideration, I've decided to go with the following changes.

Expert Belt Modest Fire Blast does less than a Life Orb Timid Fire Blast when it hits neutrally, which is what makes Magmortar so great after all. The fact that most things are 2HKOed by a combination of a neutral or not very effective Fire Blast and the appopriate coverage move is what makes it so deadly. Also, its unique Speed tier enables it to outspeed and OHKO a lot of Pokemon around base 80 speed. Feraligatr and Kabutops are OHKOed by Thunderbolt and HP Grass respectively after Stealth Rock. Medicham is OHKOed by Fire Blast. Medicham can't take two Fire Blasts.

Also, the point of EB is to fake a choice set. People will realise immediately that Fire Blast didn't do nearly enough for it to be Specsed and if Mag runs such little Speed they'll also realise straight away that it isn't Scarf. So basically, the 232 Speed Timid spread is staying unless people are really opposed to it and have good reasons to back them up.

HP Ice will get and AC mention but Altaria (at 66) and Druddigon (at 40) just aren't common enough to warrant a slash imo. Hidden Power Grass doesn't force you to rely on shitty Focus Blast and hit Lanturn (at 17) harder than any other move.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll hold off on stamping this for now since everything's kind of on hold until the BW2 meta settles down a bit, but this looks good in general. Make sure you add Scarf to OO (it doesn't outspeed many other scarfers, but it does beat every unboosted Pokemon and could get some surprise KOs or sweep late game with Fire Blast). Also add Camerupt to counters. It's probably the best Magmortar counter in the tier and deserves a lot more usage than it gets atm, especially with Magmortar rising as an RU threat.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
They said you could drop the speed because Kabutops/Feraligatr beat you anyway (aqua jet) an medicham is often scarfed anyway. I would definitely slash Expert Belt because (as some people said) Magmortar is susceptible to residual damage and there aren't any notable KOs on walls you are getting with LO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Expert Belt is the best item if you want Magmortar to act as a wallbreaker (which you should). LO works better if you go with Flame Charge in the last slot.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK, after long consideration, I've decided to go with the following changes.

Expert Belt Modest Fire Blast does less than a Life Orb Timid Fire Blast when it hits neutrally, which is what makes Magmortar so great after all. The fact that most things are 2HKOed by a combination of a neutral or not very effective Fire Blast and the appopriate coverage move is what makes it so deadly. Also, its unique Speed tier enables it to outspeed and OHKO a lot of Pokemon around base 80 speed. Feraligatr and Kabutops are OHKOed by Thunderbolt and HP Grass respectively after Stealth Rock. Medicham is OHKOed by Fire Blast. Medicham can't take two Fire Blasts.

Also, the point of EB is to fake a choice set. People will realise immediately that Fire Blast didn't do nearly enough for it to be Specsed and if Mag runs such little Speed they'll also realise straight away that it isn't Scarf. So basically, the 232 Speed Timid spread is staying unless people are really opposed to it and have good reasons to back them up.
Ok, I guess I'll explain myself more. The reason why you would run Expert Belt as opposed to Life Orb is to avoid the recoil damage. Expert Belt is seen enough to where nobody would think you're bluffing a Choice item, because Choice Magmortar sucks. Stall can't touch Magmortar unless they get their hazards up early and keep them there, is if they land a lucky Toxic or Thunder Wave. By giving yourself a Life Orb, you're giving stall a way to beat you. The only way stall can touch Magmortar is through misprediction or residual damage. You can switch back and forth between Tangrowth, Slowking, Mandibuzz, Lanturn, etc. until Magmortar kills itself if it's holding a Life Orb. In fact, Expert Belt makes Magmortar harder to beat for stall in both of the aforementioned ways, since Expert Belt doesn't force prediction as much. It definitely deserves a slash at least.

As for Modest, I also think it can be slashed. While you guaranteed beat the base 80s by running Timid, you lose to all of them anyway. As mentioned before, Kabutops, Absol, and Feraligatr have priority, Medicham is usually Scarfed, and Gallade will take the hit anyway, if it even runs max Speed. There's also the fact that most of them don't run Speed-boosting natures anyway; Medicham is the only thing you'll see that's running Jolly sometimes. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the EVs the way they are since you definitely want to outrun Nidoqueen and the added bulk probably won't mean anything (can't always live Tangrowth's Earthquake after rocks anymore :( ) I'm not as fussed about this as Expert Belt, although I will say that Modest Expert Belt hits harder than Timid Life Orb (not much harder granted, but still).

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
i would definitely slash substitute/hp grass with focus blast, because i think it is much better than oo. with substitute you can beat absol and in general ease prediction so you dont have to thunderbolt bulky water switch ins. ie: sub against tangrowth if you arent sure if they will go to slowking etc.

i also think expert belt and modest should be first option over timid life orb, but that may just be personal preference i guess

add flareon and lanturn to checks/counters section too. flareon hard counters magmortar and has recovery with wish / protect. twave lanturn at the very least slows it down and iirc isnt 2hko'd by hp grass. speaking of flareon/lanturn, you could slash eq in on the main set to 2hko them but i guess that might just be better for oo

yeah looks good

edit: you said you added flareon to checks/counters but i dont see it

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd say slash Substitute since HP Grass is really only for Lanturn and it does help with prediction

also remove Focus Blast from OO lol

[qc]1/3[/qc]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some very small things i noticed. In the AC you describe first the benefits of LO and Timid, and then the benefits of EB and Modest. Shouldn't it be the opposite, as Modest and EB are slashed first?

Also when talking about pokemon that Magmortar can switch into, thanks to his ability, remove Roselia, which never uses Sleep Power, as it is illegal with Spikes.

Just curious as to why HP grass is up there instead of EQ. The only thing you'll be using HP grass for is quag and lanturn. Quagsire is >5% usage and physically bulky sets are still 2hkoed by focus blast and with EQ and a hasty nature, you get a guaranteed 2hko on 40/252/216 lanturn with SR up.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Magmortar has long been considered slightly underwhelming; in fact, it was left floundering in NU for the entirety of DPP and the majority of BW. However, Magmortar has found its time to shine in RU. Magmortar's excellent base 125 Special Attack and expansive movepool consisting of, including; Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and a variety of Hidden Powers are but a few of the primary reasons for its rise to stardom, but they are by no means the only ones. Magmortar also boasts a solid base 95 Attack stat that, in conjunction with a decent physical movepool includingccess to Cross Chop and Earthquake, enables it to blow straight past special walls. Although it (such as?). Although Magmortar may not be particularly fast, that odd base 83 Speed grants it the opportunity to outspeed the myriad of Pokemon sitting at and around base 80 Speed, such as Medicham, Gallade, and Hitmonchan. On top of this, Magmortar appears to be perfectly suited to the RU metagame. The tier's premier special wall Slowking would usually be a full stop to any special attacking Fire-type, but Magmortar has no problem disposing of it with repeated Thunderbolts and entry hazard damage. The icing on the cake is that Magmortar can bypass one of the most common status conditions to be inflicted in RU: sleep. Tangrowth and Lilligant are extremely popular Pokemon who Magmortar can switch into and eliminate with impunity thanks to Vital Spirit; Magmortar can also deal with the odd Smeargle lead by absorbing Spore and limiting the number of layers it gets up to a maximum of two.</p>

<p>By now your probably wondering why on Earth Magmortar isn't be used on every single RU team. Well, unfrotunately for our fiery friend there are a couple of things halting its climb to number 1 on the usage ladder. A couple of sharp, pointy things. Yes, Magmortar despises entry hazards as it is susceptible to every form in existencall three. To compound this weakness, due to its decisivededly average defenses, Magmortar has trouble finding good opportunities in which towhere it can switch in. The metaphorical nail in the coffin comes from Magmortars crappymediocre defensive typing, which leaves it with a weakness toes Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type attacks, as well as it's below average Speed. However, don't let these downsides put you off. Magmortar's merits far outweigh it's flaws and it is one of RU's premier Fire-types.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Equipped with its excellent coverage and high powered moves, Magmortar has no trouble blasting past RU's most common walls; Steelix, Tangrowth, Sandslash, Roselia, Rhydon, and Qwilfish are all OHKOed after Stealth Rock. Even RU's premier special walls, Slowking and Clefable, are 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage. Although Magmortar's average Speed stops it from pulling off a sweeping set with much success, its great offensive presence and movepool ensure that RU's walls will never be safe with Magmortar waiting in the wings. Fire Blast provides Magmortar with an immensely powerful STAB attack and inflicts hguuge amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast is Magmortar's most spammable attack (i.e. using it has very few drawbacks since there aren't many Pokemon in RU that resist it, it has great power, as well as passable accuracy), and is what you should be using early game when scouting the opponent's teamn. Not only does Thunderbolt give Magmortar coverage against generic Water- and Flying-types, it also enables it to get past Slowking; a Pokemon capable of walling most special attackers (especially Fire-types). Having Focus Blast in its moveset ensures that two of RU's sturdiest special walls, Clefable and Munchlax, don't stop Magmortar's rampage in its tracks, although its accuracy can sometimes be a let down. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set's coverage by consolidagetting OHKOs against Rhydon and Quagsire, as well as a 2HKO against Lanturn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs ensure that Magmortar outspeeds all neutral natured Pokemon with base 80 Speed, as well as maximising its damage output. A super effective attack coming from a Modest nature and an Expert Belt hits harder than the equivalent off a Timid nature and a Life Orb, and is therefore the first choice for both item and nature. On top of this, Magmortar will often be hitting things super effectively thanks to its great coverage, and therefore it doesn't really miss the Life Orb boost. Finally, and most importantly, using an Expert Belt stops Magmortar from being worn down so easily by stall teams that predict correctly. Hattempt to stall it out with Life Orb recoil. Entry hazards, status, and recoil all take a serious toll on Magmortar's health, so by limiting one of those Magmortar will be able to stay alive and wreak havoc for a longer period of time.</p>

<p>By running a spread of 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe along with a +Speed nature, Magmortar ensures that it can outspeed every Pokemon hovering around the 80 Speed mark. A Life Orb gives a strong boost to Magmortar's attacks and is especially useful when you need to hit certain Pokemon, such as Aggron, Druddigon, and Altaria, for as much damage as possible with neutral attacks. Vital Spirit is key to Magmortar's success. It gives Magmortar the switch-in opportunities it needs to do damage; Smeargle, Tangrowth, and Lilligant all become viable Pokemon for Magmortar to take advantage of. Hidden Power Ice hurts Altaria and Druddigon, two orf Magmortar's best counters, more than any other of its attacks. Hidden Power Ice also stops Magmortar from having to rely on Focus Blast's shaky innacuracy to harm Druddigon. Earthquake hits other Fire-types, such as Entei, Typhlosion, Flareon, and Camerupt, harder than any other attack, and will OHKO the less defensive of the lotose Pokemon. Flamethrower can be used a more reliable alternative to Fire Blast, although the loss in power is very noticeable.</p>

Magmortar absolutely despises entry hazards, so packing a spinner is almost a necessity. Sandslash makes for a great teammate as it resists Rock-type moves and can set up Stealth Rock to wear down Magmortar's counters. Cryogonal, on the other hand, is immune to Ground-type moves thanks to Levitate, and takes little from most Water attacks thanks to its excellent base 135 Special Defense. Roselia and Ferroseed both share good defensive synergy with Magmortar and can set up the hazards that are essential in helping Magmortar acheive those KOes that it needs. Ferroseed can also spread paralysis with Thunder Wave in order to bypasscompensate for Magmortar's average Speed. Feraligatr partners well with Magmortar as it can set up on and take out the Fire-types that give Magmortar trouble. In return, Magmortar easily dispatches the Grass-type trying to put a stop to Feraligatr's sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to its expansive movepool and good attacking stats Magmortar can run a wide variety of sets (with varying degrees of success). With Choice Specs equipped Magmortar's attacks become incredibly powerful, and Magmortar is now able to 2HKO Slowking 100% of the time with Thunderbolt. On the other hand, a Choice Scarf givess Magmortar enough Speed to outspeed the entire outboosted tier, as well as land surprise KOs on opponents expecting a more conventional Expert Belt set. However, both these sets are held back due to Magmortar's inability to switch moves, its low defenses, and its weakness to entry hazards. Magmortar also has a large, though oft-neglected, physical movepool. With Flare Blitz for STAB, and Earthquake, Cross Chop, Mach Punch, and ThunderPunch for coverage, Magmortar can surprise a lot of its usual counters, as well as handily deal with Fire-types. Magmortar also has Belly Drum to boost its Attack to astronomical levels. As cool as this a physical Magmortar sounds, its only average Attack and low Speed stop it from being as good as it could be with slightly higher stats. Magmortar has an ample selection of alternative STAB moves to choose from. Overheat has incredible power and is move accurate than Fire Blast, Lava Plume can spread burns to make up for Magmortar's low defense, and Flamethrower may be slightly less powerful than Fire Blast, but it is much more reliable. Taunt enables Magmortar to easily take out defensive Grass-types such as Roselia and Tangrowth, whereas Will-O-Wisp can spread status. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, although the loss in coverage is quite severe. Finally, Magmortar can use Cross Chop to hits special walls hard, although most are hit hard enough by Magmortar's standard moves in the first place.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to its great power and coverage, Magmortar doesn't have many counters in the strue meaningictest sense of the word:; few walls can afford to take two hits (one on the switch-in, another as they move second) from the most effective move. Slowking is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock, Munchlax can't do anything to Magmortar but Whirlwind it away, and Lanturn is 2HKOed by Hidden Power Grass. On top of this, there aren't many Pokemon faster than Magmortar that can take a super effective attack or a neutral Fire Blast. The best way to stop Magmortar cold, however, is to go by that old saying: "fight fire with fire". Not only does Flareon boast good special bulk, it also lacks a weakness to any of Magmortar's common attacks, whilst resisting two of them. Furthermore, Flareon can recover and support the team with Wish and Protect, as well as phazing Magmortar out (thus racking up more entry hazard damage) with Roar, and Toxic stalling itToxic stall Magmortar. Flareon can also choose to phaze Magmortar out with Roar, which is especially potent when paired with entry hazards. Camerupt is also an excellent counter to Magmortar as it resists Fire Blast, is immune to Thunderbol, and takes little from a neutral Hidden Power Grass. However, due to its relatively low defenses, Camerupt doesn't enjoy taking too many Focus Blasts. RU's resident Dragon-types, Druddigon and Altaria, stick out as two of Magmortar's most solid counters. Druddigon resists all of Magmortar's moves bar Cross Chop and can OHKO it with Outrage, whereas Altaria is much more defense and can set up on Magmortar thanks to its good bulk. However, both of the aforementioned Dragons are easily taken care of by Hidden Power Ice. As long as Lanturn doesn't switch into it, Lanturn can take at least one hit from Hidden Power Grass and hit back with a STAB Scald or Surf. When it comes to revenge killing Magmortar, any faster Pokemon that carries a super effective move, such as Arcehheops, Aerodactyl, or Sceptile, will get the job done easily. One of the easiest ways of limiting Magmortar's effectiveness isn't by carrying a dedicated counter, but by ensuring that you get as many hazards up as soon as possible. Magmortar can lose over half its health just by switching in should it have the misfortune of landing on a complete set of entry hazards. On top of this, Life Orb Magmortar has to deal with Life Orb recoil wearing it down each time it attacks. As long as you use clever switching and constantly force Magmortar out, it shouldn't be able to harm your team a great deal.</p>
amcheck

Mmk, now I can check this :3

[Overview]

<p>Magmortar has long been considered slightly underwhelming; in fact, it was left floundering in NU for the entirety of DPP and the majority of BW. However, Magmortar has found its time to shine in RU. Magmortar's Its excellent base 125 Special Attack and expansive movepool, including;(no) Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and a variety of Hidden Powers,(comma) are but a few of the primary reasons for its rise to stardom. Magmortar also boasts a solid base 95 Attack stat that, in conjunction with access to Cross Chop and Earthquake, enables it to blow straight past special walls, such as Clefable and Lanturn. Although Magmortar may might not be particularly fast, that odd base 83 Speed grants it the opportunity to outspeed the myriad of Pokemon sitting at and around base 80 Speed, such as Medicham, Gallade, and Hitmonchan. On top of this, Magmortar appears to be perfectly suited to the RU metagame. The tier's premier special wall Slowking would usually be a full stop to any special attacking Fire-type, but Magmortar has no problem disposing of it with repeated Thunderbolts and entry hazard damage. The icing on the cake is that Magmortar can bypass one of the most common status conditions to be inflicted in RU: sleep. Tangrowth and Lilligant are extremely popular Pokemon who that Magmortar can switch into and eliminate with impunity thanks to Vital Spirit; Magmortar can also deal with the odd Smeargle lead by absorbing Spore and limiting the number of layers it gets up to a maximum of two.</p>

<p>By now your you're probably wondering why on Earth Magmortar isn't be used on every single RU team. Well, unfortunately for our fiery friend there are a couple of things halting its climb to number 1 on the usage ladder. A couple of sharp, pointy things. Yes, Magmortar despises entry hazards as it is susceptible to all three. To compound this weakness, due to its decidedly average defenses, Magmortar has trouble finding good opportunities where it can switch in. The metaphorical nail in the coffin comes from Magmortar's mediocre defensive typing, which leaves it with weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type attacks, as well as its below average Speed. However, don't let these downsides put you off. Magmortar's merits far outweigh its flaws and it is one of RU's premier Fire-types.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Equipped with its excellent coverage and high powered moves, Magmortar has no trouble blasting past RU's most common walls; Steelix, Tangrowth, Sandslash, Roselia, Rhydon, and Qwilfish are all OHKOed after Stealth Rock. Even RU's premier special walls, Slowking and Clefable, are 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage. Although Magmortar's average Speed stops it from pulling off a sweeping set with much success, its great offensive presence and movepool ensure that RU's walls will never be safe with Magmortar waiting in the wings. Fire Blast provides Magmortar with an immensely powerful STAB attack and inflicts huge amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast It is Magmortar's most spammable attack, and is what you should be using early game when scouting the opponent's team. Not only does Thunderbolt give Magmortar coverage against Water- and Flying-types, it also enables it to get past Slowking,(comma); a Pokemon capable of walling most special attackers (especially Fire-types). Having Focus Blast in its moveset ensures that two of RU's sturdiest special walls, Clefable and Munchlax, don't stop Magmortar's rampage in its tracks, although its accuracy can sometimes be a let down. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set's coverage by getting OHKOs against Rhydon and Quagsire, as well as a 2HKO against Lanturn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs ensure that Magmortar outspeeds all neutral-natured Pokemon with base 80 Speed, as well as maximizing its damage output. A super effective attack coming from a Modest nature and an Expert Belt hits harder than the equivalent off a Timid nature and a Life Orb, and is therefore the first choice for both item and nature. On top of this, Magmortar will often be hitting things super effectively thanks to its great coverage, and therefore it doesn't really miss the Life Orb boost. Finally, and most importantly, using an Expert Belt stops Magmortar from being worn down so easily by stall teams that attempt to stall it out with Life Orb recoil. Entry hazards, status, and recoil all take a serious toll on Magmortar's health, so by limiting one of those,(comma) Magmortar will be able to stay alive and wreak havoc for a longer period of time.</p>

<p>By running a spread of 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe along with a +Speed nature, Magmortar ensures that it can outspeed every Pokemon hovering around the 80 Speed mark. A Life Orb gives a strong boost to Magmortar's attacks and is especially useful when you need to hit certain Pokemon, such as Aggron, Druddigon, and Altaria, for as much damage as possible with neutral attacks. Vital Spirit is key to Magmortar's success. It gives Magmortar the switch-in opportunities it needs to do damage; Smeargle, Tangrowth, and Lilligant all become viable Pokemon for Magmortar to take advantage of. Hidden Power Ice hurts Altaria and Druddigon, two of Magmortar's best counters, more than any other of its attacks. Hidden Power Ice also stops Magmortar from having to rely on Focus Blast's shaky inaccuracy to harm Druddigon. Earthquake hits other Fire-types, such as Entei, Typhlosion, Flareon, and Camerupt, harder than any other attack, and will OHKO the less defensive of those Pokemon. Flamethrower can be used as a more reliable alternative to Fire Blast, although the loss in power is very noticeable.</p>

<p>Magmortar absolutely despises entry hazards, so packing a spinner is almost a necessity. Sandslash makes for a great teammate as it resists Rock-type moves and can set up Stealth Rock to wear down Magmortar's counters. Cryogonal, on the other hand, is immune to Ground-type moves thanks to Levitate, and takes little from most Water attacks thanks to its excellent base 135 Special Defense. Roselia and Ferroseed both share good defensive synergy with Magmortar and can set up the hazards that are essential in helping Magmortar achieve those KOs. Ferroseed can also spread paralysis with Thunder Wave in order to bypass Magmortar's average Speed. Feraligatr partners well with Magmortar as it can set up on and take out the Fire-types that give Magmortar trouble. In return, Magmortar easily dispatches the Grass-type trying to put a stop to Feraligatr's sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to its expansive movepool and good attacking stats,(comma) Magmortar can run a wide variety of sets (with varying degrees of success). With Choice Specs equipped Magmortar's attacks become incredibly powerful, and Magmortar is now able to 2HKO Slowking 100% of the time with Thunderbolt. On the other hand, a Choice Scarf gives Magmortar enough Speed to outspeed the entire outboosted(outboosted? I think you mean unboosted, unless I'm missing something >.>) tier, as well as land surprise KOs on opponents expecting a more conventional Expert Belt set. However, both of these sets are held back due to Magmortar's inability to switch moves, its low defenses, and its weakness to entry hazards. Magmortar also has a large, though oft-neglected, physical movepool. With Flare Blitz for STAB, and along with Earthquake, Cross Chop, Mach Punch, and ThunderPunch for coverage, Magmortar can surprise a lot of its usual counters, as well as handily deal with Fire-types. Magmortar also has Belly Drum to boost its Attack to astronomical levels. As cool as this a physical Magmortar sounds, its only average Attack and low Speed stop it from being as good as it could be with slightly higher stats. Magmortar has an ample selection of alternative STAB moves to choose from. Overheat has incredible power and is more accurate than Fire Blast, Lava Plume can spread burns to make up for Magmortar's low defense, and Flamethrower may be is slightly less powerful than Fire Blast, but it is much more reliable. Taunt enables Magmortar to easily take out defensive Grass-types such as Roselia and Tangrowth, whereas Will-O-Wisp can spread status. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, although the loss in coverage is quite severe. Finally, Magmortar can use Cross Chop to hit special walls hard, although most are hit hard enough by Magmortar's standard moves in the first place.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to its great power and coverage, Magmortar doesn't have many counters in the strictest sense of the word; few walls can afford to take two hits (one on the switch in, another as they move second) from the most effective move. Slowking is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock, Munchlax can't do anything to Magmortar but Whirlwind it away, and Lanturn is 2HKOed by Hidden Power Grass. On top of this, there aren't many Pokemon faster than Magmortar that can take a super effective attack or a neutral Fire Blast. The best way to stop Magmortar cold, however, is to go by that old saying: "fight fire with fire". Not only does Flareon boast good special bulk, it also lacks a weakness to any of Magmortar's common attacks, while resisting two of them. Furthermore, Flareon can recover and support the team with Wish and Protect, as well as Toxic stall Magmortar. Flareon can also choose to phaze Magmortar out with Roar, which is especially potent when paired with entry hazards. Camerupt is also an excellent counter to Magmortar as it resists Fire Blast, is immune to Thunderbolt, and takes little from a neutral Hidden Power Grass. However, due to its relatively low defenses, Camerupt doesn't enjoy taking too many Focus Blasts. RU's resident Dragon-types, Druddigon and Altaria, stick out as two of Magmortar's most solid counters. Druddigon resists all of Magmortar's moves bar Cross Chop and can OHKO it with Outrage, whereas Altaria is much more defense and can set up on Magmortar thanks to its good bulk. However, both of the aforementioned Dragons are easily taken care of by Hidden Power Ice. As long as Lanturn doesn't switch into it, Lanturn can take at least one hit from Hidden Power Grass and hit back with a STAB Scald or Surf. When it comes to revenge killing Magmortar, any faster Pokemon that carries a super effective move, such as Archeops, Aerodactyl, or Sceptile, will get the job done easily. One of the easiest ways of limiting Magmortar's effectiveness isn't by carrying a dedicated counter, but by ensuring that you get as many hazards up as soon as possible. Magmortar can lose over half its health just by switching in should it have the misfortune of landing on a complete set of entry hazards. On top of this, Life Orb Magmortar has to deal with recoil wearing it down each time it attacks. As long as you use clever switching and constantly force Magmortar out, it shouldn't be able to harm your team a great deal.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)