Rate my Battle subway team! (Singles)

Hi Smogon!, I am here with a Sandstorm team (apparently everything with Tyranitar turns into that nowadays). Anyways off to the team.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Evs 252 atk 252 speed 4 hp
*Super Power
*Crunch
*Stone Edge
*Earthquake

As for this tyranitar, I am unsure of whether to go adamant or jolly. Is the jolly nature necessary in order to outspeed major threats? After all using a choice scarf is useless unless you go first. Other than that I like the idea of a choice scarf set because tyranitar is strong enough to go without attack boosting items such as life orb and choice band. Also I am Considering making this Tyranitar a mixed scarf Tyranitar because i do not have any special attackers on this team. As for right now I am leaning towards this set. Please let me know your thoughts on which set would be better for a lead tyranitar.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand veil
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 252 atk/ 252 speed/ 4 HP
*Swords Dance
*Outrage
*Earthquake
*Firefang

This garchomp set is relatively standard. The only deviation I have is that of a Focus Sash rather than a yache berry. I figure that the point of a Yache Berry is to prevent Garchomp from being OHKed by ice type moves. If the purpose is to garentee a second turn of survival from a pokemon, why not use focus sash? After it does protect me from critical hits as well as ice type moves. If there is a specific reason people use yache berry please let me know.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technition
Nature: Adamant
Evs 252 HP/ 252 ATK / 4 speed
*U-turn
*Bullet Punch
*Super Power
*Aerial Ace

This pokemon is pretty much my last resort. I also use it to soak up some super effective fighting type or ice type moves that are aimed at garchomp and Tyranitar. Overall I would say that this pokemon is an extremely effective revenge killer with bullet punch priority. It is my essential counter to fighting type pokemon with the Aerial ace; which is boosted to 90 Base power with technition. This pokemon is basically a revenge killer/ wall.

So yeah thats my team. Some weaknesses I can already spot are bulky waters; which would effectivly be able to take on a hit from my Choice Scarf Tyranitar and then be able to hit very hard back with a super effective water type attack. In that case i would probably lose a pokemon. In another instance another weakness i see is that i ONLY attack from 1 spectrum of attacks. My moves are all physical. This is why a mix choice scarf tyranitar intrigued me, as I would be able to plow through some pokemon that are physically strong, but specially weak.

Another problem that I have is the ridgedness of my Team because I use two choice pokemon. As a result, they are inflexible and unable to deal with any sudden change. However, flexibility is something that I must forgo, if I truly desire Speed and Power.

Anyways, please leave down your thoughts on how to improve my Battle Subway team. Also if you think that there is another pokemon that would be able to Augment my teams performence overall please let me know so i can look into that pokemon!

(I apologize for the oversized pictures, I'm sorta new to this and I do not know how to change it to make it more managable >.<)

People genrally use yachi in competitive battling from what I see due to entry hazards breaking sashes Focus Sash is great in Battle Subway. not much wrong with this team If I find something I will edit it in this comment.

Mixing in fire blast on T-Tar is quite useful for first turn ferros, scizors, and forry's. However, I will say that choice scarf on a lead pokemon is not great, as it is unlikely you will be able to do well with the move you used on the first poke when attacking the second. It is generally smart to have a good mix of offense and defense for battle subway, while you have much more offense, which will ultimately fail against a bad matchup, it's just probability. I always used Suicune, Garchomp, and Bronzong just for their offensive and defensive synergy.

Also jolly ttar is needed on scarf to outspeed Latios and other base 110's. So yes, it is good.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Lol, took me 2 days to write this post XD

<<Disclaimer Thing>> Can someone correct me if any of the following text presents a flawed train of thought.

The following is a list of Pokemon which are always outsped by Tyranitar if Jolly, but not Adamant.

Speed - Pokemon (set no.)
184 - Zebstrika 2
184 - Zebstrika 3
184 - Zebstrika 4
183 - Ambipom 1
183 - Ambipom 2
183 - Ambipom 3
183 - Ambipom 4
183 - Floatzel 1
183 - Floatzel 2
183 - Floatzel 3
183 - Floatzel 4
183 - Raikou 1
183 - Raikou 2
183 - Raikou 3
183 - Raikou 4
183 - Starmie 1
183 - Starmie 3
183 - Starmie 4
181 - Mr. Mime 1
181 - Rampardos 3
179 - Thundurus 2
179 - Thundurus 3
179 - Thundurus 4
179 - Tornadus 1
179 - Tornadus 4
178 - Archeops 1
178 - Archeops 3
178 - Archeops 4
178 - Espeon 1
178 - Espeon 2
178 - Espeon 4
178 - Froslass 1
178 - Froslass 3
178 - Froslass 4
178 - Gengar 1
178 - Gengar 2
178 - Gengar 3
178 - Gengar 4
178 - Latias 2
178 - Latias 3
178 - Latios 2
178 - Latios 3
178 - Tauros 2
178 - Tauros 3
177 - Durant 3
177 - Durant 4
177 - Torterra 2
176 - Cobalion 3
176 - Cobalion 4
176 - Electrode 2
176 - Infernape 1
176 - Infernape 3
176 - Infernape 4
176 - Terrakion 1
176 - Terrakion 3
176 - Terrakion 4
176 - Virizion 1
176 - Virizion 2
176 - Virizion 3
175 - Machamp 3
172 - Cryogonal 1
172 - Cryogonal 2
172 - Cryogonal 3
172 - Cryogonal 4
172 - Dugtrio 2
172 - Lopunny 1
172 - Lopunny 2
172 - Lopunny 3
172 - Lopunny 4
172 - Manectric 3
172 - Mienshao 1
172 - Mienshao 2
172 - Mienshao 3
172 - Mismagius 1
172 - Mismagius 3
172 - Rapidash 2
172 - Rapidash 3
172 - Rapidash 4
172 - Zoroark 1
172 - Zoroark 2
172 - Zoroark 3
172 - Zoroark 4
169 - Garchomp 1
169 - Garchomp 2
169 - Garchomp 4
169 - Serperior 1

Notice that this includes Garchomps 1, 2 and 4, which would otherwise be at a speed tie with Tyranitar. Garchomps also benefit from Sandstorm, especially number 1, which might prove to be a pain:

381 | Garchomp | Jolly | Lax Incense | Earthquake | Protect | Sandstorm | Sand Tomb | HP/Spd

Given your EVs (which are fine tbh), Garchomp 4 has a chance to OHKO you with a first turn EQ. One excellent solution for these is Ice Beam; just don't rage when a Garchomp or Dugtrio avoids it. If you're going to use Ice Beam, you may as well plonk on Flamethrower (Serperior, Durant, etc) and Crunch (Starmie, Gengar, Froslass, Espeon, etc). This gets rid of most of the above list; EQ or a Rock move could round out the coverage (besides Floatzel and Ambipom, of Ambipom 3 and Floatzel 3 could pose a threat with a guaranteed OHKO from LO Brick Break/Low Kick.) Stone Edge works the best; however, I have a few qualms about its accuracy.

I don't really like Stone Edge myself, but it seems that most prefer it over Rock Slide due to its power. In the Battle Subway, though, every bit of accuracy counts. It's your choice in the end, although I myself prefer Rock Slide (which in this case won't OHKO either of the aforementioned threats even with maximal Attack investments, unfortunately).

Just remember to change the EVs and Nature for a mixed set. >.>

Or, could I suggest a complete revamp:
Tyranitar@Leftovers (or Air Balloon if you give Scizor Lefties)
Sassy, 252 HP/64 SpA/192 SpD
Stealth Rock/Flamethrower/Crunch/Ice Beam

Basically a ripoff of the Mixed Attacker Set from the site, Stealth Rock breaks annoying sashes and lets your other two members do their thing. Also provides good coverage, etc.

As for Garchomp, the set looks good overall ... except that Skarmory completely walls you. A 65BP Fire Fang isn't going to do much to anything in particular, I can tell you. Flamethrower + Naive, maybe? Or possibly Rock Slide/Stone Edge? Not much to say about this set.

I notice that you haven't yet used the most epic item in the Subway yet, the Leftovers. They would go well on Scizor with Swords Dance/Bullet Punch/Bug Bite (or X-Scissor)/Substitute. Although Aerial Ace is a handy move considering the massive hax in the Subway, it's kinda redundant considering how much less hax items there are (as compared to Gen IV's "BrightPowder Frontier"). It could come in handy for Dugtrios/Garchomps, maybe?

A Sand Team without an Excadrill is like ... weird. May I suggest Excadrill over Scizor? That's what most people do.

Excadrill@Life Orb (Or Focus Sash and give Garchomp a Yache Berry)
Adamant, 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Earthquake/Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Swords Dance (or Shadow Claw, maybe)

Hope that helps a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)