Cobalion [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Despite UU being a tier filled with Fighting-types, Cobalion has no trouble distinguishing itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a good number of resistances—including a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock and immunity to poison—on top of its excellent physical bulk, good speed, and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense. Its Steel typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of Fighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, Cobalion remains a potent threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
ability: Justified
nature: Naive / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers like Snorlax or defensive Pokemon like Registeel, Porygon2, and Roserade, it reaches 558 Attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat is a reliable STAB move, doing good damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it. X-Scissor hits Slowbro super effectively, but can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving it a turn to cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's Attack and Speed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while Lum Berry is very useful to absorb a paralysis or burn once, which can be used to give Coballion a free turn of set-up. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice and X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also good options to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows Cobalion to beat Hitmontop. If using Hidden Power Ice, a Naive nature is preferred; otherwise use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types, such as Shaymin, who can switch into and threaten the two pair well with it. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who could also pose a threat to Cobalion.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Ghost / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Flash Cannon / Substitute
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to Cobalion normally using physical moves, this set can surprise the opponent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's special attack and defense, patching up its weakness to special moves. Focus Blast is used as the main STAB due to a lack of more reliable alternatives. Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively, while Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power Ghost. Substitute is used to avoid status moves and sponge weaker special attacks after a boost without fading.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much Speed and Special Attack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevent the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat, and to a lesser extent Zapdos also work well with Coballion, taking on Heracross, Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile, and Hi Jump Kicks from Choice Scarf Mienshao.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Sacred Sword / Close Combat
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Toxic / Hidden Power Ice
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach, supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse match-up against Curse Snorlax. Volt Switch preserves momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins like Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good speed; 248 HP hits a Leftovers number and 232 Speed allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options; the former can scout an upcoming move from Choice-wielding opponents so you can react accordingly; while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. Further, it has problems with opposing Fighting-types, so packing a resist like Slowbro, Crobat, or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls like Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in the sets. For example, it can opt for a Choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lacking offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who don't carry a Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X-Scissor—which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden Power Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but Choice Scarf versions leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super-effectively; Chandelure, Darmanitan, and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to special Sharpedo, who can use Protect to get a Speed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

Ok, not sure what to do for the third set.

Options would be CB, specs (I prefer specs over CB because it can OHKO gligar and because a strong volt switch is nice) or some kind of utility set with SR and volt switch. I'm currently leaning towards one of the choice sets with an expansive OO mention for SR and stuff, but not sure. Would like input, especially from QC, on this.

I've had a lot of success with:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

It's really damn bulky and can tank a lot of cool things (like Flygon / Krookodile Earthquake, Machamp Dynamic Punch, etc), set up Stealth Rock (which is incredibly unexpected and no one switches in their Xatu on Cobalion in fear of Swords Dance or Stone Edge or something), and is actually physically threatening. Stealth Rock is obvious, Close Combat hits things really hard that don't resist it, and Volt Switch lets it act as an amazing pivot, and is really damn useful on such a fast and bulky Pokemon like this. Toxic is what's the most amazing though, as people tend to switch their Slowbro or Cofagrigus into Cobalion without question. A prompt Toxic really puts them in their place. You can then promptly Volt Switch the fuck out of them. The EVs let Cobalion outrun up to +Speed Base 100 Pokemon, though max investment can be used if desired. It hits a Leftovers number as well.

I really really really REALLY like this set and think something similar (a support set) deserves a set in the Cobalion analysis. Stealth Rock is huge.

edit: I also forgot to mention that Cobalion's 4x Stealth Rock resistance makes it a fantastic pivot as well. It gets a net positive Leftovers recovery after switching in!

Just a thought hear but what about something like blarajan's set but with life orb? something like the sword dance set but with stealth rock over sword dance could work.

Since it was the only suggestion and I had something like it in mind, I put up a skeleton of something very similar to blarajan's set. Should be ready for QC now, but other input is still encouraged.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unless a new reason for the use of Hidden Power Dark has arrived, Hidden Power Ghost should always go over it.

This was established when I wrote it the first time.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^ What was the reason given? Hitting Heracross neutrally? (I really don't know)

Anyway, I want Protect somewhere on that defensive set. AC is probably enough, but with a resistance to U-turn and a weakness to common Choice'd attacks (Flygon's Earthquake, Darmanitan's Flare Blitz, Victini's V-Create, Heracross's Close Combat, etc) it seems useful enough that I'd consider making it a slash.

I would also consider dropping the Speed down to beating base 105s only. I'm pretty sure you don't even OHKO opposing Cobalion without Attack investment, so it seems pointless to tie with them.

You also need to flesh out your teammates sections a bit, but you can do that during actual write-up.

Other that that, this looks fine.

QC Approved 1/3

Unless a new reason for the use of Hidden Power Dark has arrived, Hidden Power Ghost should always go over it.

This was established when I wrote it the first time.
Does HP ghost even do anything other than hitting heracross (which is useless)? I'd rather keep HP dark since it means the alternative EV spread always applies instead of having to add a part that explains how you need to rearrange EVs/IVs with hp ghost.

Also I'll add protect to AC. Not sure about the speed since the EVs gained don't do anything either but I guess it doesn't matter in the end

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why even talk about HP Dark? Even if HP Ghost only hits Heracross and prevents opposing Cobalion from gaining an Atk boost, it is better. What do you prefer, hitting an opposing Heracross for 15% or for 30% damage (random numbers)?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've always been partial to using substitute Cobalion on the swords dance set. With Substitute, Cobalion can avoid status, intimidate attack drops from Qwifish/Top and always beat Himontop in a 1 on 1, which is cool. It's nowhere near as useful now that Mew is gone, but I still think it warrants considering... maybe in AC?

QC APPROVED 2/3

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to echo the sentiments from PK above-- Substitute Cobal is pretty freaking amazing. So many Pokemon (not named Gliscor / Slowbro) try to deal with Cobalion using status. It's also worth noting that with Substitute, Cobalion makes Amoongus (which is pretty common these days, and WAY too reliant on status) its BITCH, and can proceed to run through a quite a few teams (stopped by Nidoqueen, Slowbro, and Gliscor...). Also... "Sableye Switched in, Cobalion used Substitute" derp. Plus it's still fantastic for scouting with Cobal's speed. In any case, I'd say it's as good as moves as specific as HP Ice, and definitely better than X-Scissor imo, because I'd never want to risk letting my Cobal get burned or paralyzed going for the 2hko that slowbro can just switch out of. On a general note, Substitute does better with Leftovers than the other items in general.

Also, I'd agree with koko with dropping the speed is worth considering. It's actually better to LOSE the speed battle against another Cobalion if you're both near full health...

The above are all pretty minor points though.

QC APPROVED 3/3

The problem with substitute is that it does ~nothing to help with cobalion's main switch-ins (slowbro, gligar), but I guess the stuff it does do warrants at least an AC mention (which I already added iirc). Also sableye doesn't really have a problem with sub cobalion considering that it can just stall it out of attacks while taking practically nothing from unboosted stone edges.

Regarding the speed, I was assuming you're facing off against +2 cobalion, which OHKOs you, but I don't really mind dropping the speed a bit. I don't really see the point considering it's only a gain of 20 EVs but whatever.

Thanks for the stamp, I'll write this up soon.

It's worth mentioning Thunder Wave somewhere, I sometimes use a set Thunder Wave/Close Combat/Stone Edge/Iron Head, but the problem is Cobalion has no boosting move. Maybe slash T-Wave with Toxic on the Utility set?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna stop you right there for a sec.

You need to add <p> and </p> in the beginning and end of each paragraph, respectively.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
am check

Remove
Add
Comment

[Overview]

<p>While UU is a tier filled with fFighting types, Cobalion manages to distinguish itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a number of resistances, including a 4x resistance (?) Cobalion does have a 4x rock resist to Stealth Rock and an immunity to poison, as well as its excellent physical bulk, good speed and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense, its Steel-typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of fFighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, cCobalion remains a potent threat. period</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers, comma such as Snorlax or defensive Pokemon like , for example Registeel, Porygon2 and Roserade,. Period After a Swords Dance, it reaches 558 attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat serves as the reliable STAB, dealingoing good damage to most things that don't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super-effectively no hyphen. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it, while X-Scissor hits Slowbro, but can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving it a turn to cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's aAttack and sSpeed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while lLum bBerry is very useful for avoiding Thunder Wave or a burn from Scald. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice and or X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also options to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows you to beat Hitmontop. When using Hidden Power Ice, a Naive nature is preferred, all other variants should use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types such as Shaymin who can switch into an threaten the two pair well with it switch-in and threaten Slowbro and Gligar. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who also poses a threat to Cobalion, depending on their set.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Cobalion normally uses physical moves, this set can surprise the oppoent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's sSpecial aAttack and Special dDefense, and patching up its weakness to special moves attacks,. period and Focus Blast is used as the main STAB for lack of more reliable alternatives., while Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively, while ; however, Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power Dark Ghost You meant HP Ghost right? Not Dark. Substitute is used to avoid status moves and can survive weaker special attacks after a boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much sSpeed and sSpecial aAttack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevents the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat and, to a lesser extent, Zapdos alsor works well with it Cobalion to take on Heracross,; Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile, and ; or Choice sScarf Hi Jump Kicks from Mienshao.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach instead of trying to sweep, instead by supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse matchup against Curse Snorlax, and Volt Switch keeps the momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins like such as Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on iImmunity Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good sSpeed; 248 HP space hits a leftovbers number and 232 speed allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options. The former can scout the upcoming move from choiced opponents and react accordingly, while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled, such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. Further However, it Cobalion has problems with opposing fighting types Fighting-type Pokemon, so packing a resist like such as Slowbro, Crobat or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls like such as Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in individual sets. For example, it can opt for a choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lacklustering offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who don't carry a Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X scissor- which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden power Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but Choice Sscarfed ones leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super-effectively no hyphen; Chandelure, Darmanitan and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to special Sharpedo, who can use pProtect to get a speed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

[Overview]

<p>While UU is a tier filled with Fighting types, Cobalion manages to distinguish itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a number of resistances, including a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock and an immunity to poison, as well as its excellent physical bulk, good speed and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense, its Steel-typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of fFighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, Cobalion remains a potent threat</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers, such as Snorlax or defensive Pokemon, for example Registeel, Porygon2 and Roserade. After a Swords Dance, it reaches 558 attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat serves as the reliable STAB, dealing good damage to most things that don't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it, while X-Scissor hits Slowbro, but can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving it a turn to cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's Attack and Speed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while Lum Berry is useful for avoiding Thunder Wave or a burn from Scald. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice or X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also options to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows you to beat Hitmontop. When using Hidden Power Ice, a Naive nature is preferred, all other variants should use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types such as Shaymin can switch-in and threaten Slowbro and Gligar. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who also poses a threat to Cobalion, depending on their set.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Cobalion normally uses physical moves, this set can surprise the oppoent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's Special Attack and Special Defense, and patching up its weakness to special attacks. Focus Blast is used as the main STAB for lack of more reliable alternatives, while Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively; however, Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power Ghost. Substitute is used to avoid status moves and can survive weaker special attacks after a boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much Speed and Special Attack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevents the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat and, to a lesser extent, Zapdos also works well with Cobalion to take on Heracross; Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile; or Choice Scarf Hi Jump Kicks from Mienshao.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach instead of trying to sweep, by supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse matchup against Curse Snorlax, and Volt Switch keeps the momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins such as Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on Immunity Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good Speed; 248 HP hits a leftovers number and 232 speed allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options. The former can scout the upcoming move from choiced opponents and react accordingly, while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled, such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. However, Cobalion as problems with opposing Fighting-type Pokemon, so packing a resist such as Slowbro, Crobat or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls such as Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in individual sets. For example, it can opt for a choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lackluster offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who don't carry a Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X scissor- which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden power Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but Choice Scarfed ones leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super effectively; Chandelure, Darmanitan and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to Sharpedo, who can use Protect to get a speed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

Nice job writing this!

[Overview]

<p>While UU is a tier filled with fFighting -types, Cobalion manages to distinguish itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a number of resistances, including a 4x resistance (?) to Stealth Rock and immunity to poison, as well as its excellent physical bulk, good speed, and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense, its Steel- typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of fFighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, cCobalion remains a potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers such as Snorlax or defensive Pokemon likesuch as Registeel, Porygon2, and Roserade, it reaches 558 attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat serves as thea reliable STAB, doing good damage to most things that don't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super-effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it, while X-Scissor hits Slowbro, but can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving it a turn to cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's aAttack and sSpeed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while lLum berry is very useful for avoiding paralysis from Thunder Wave or a burn from Scald. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice andor X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also option to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows you to beat Hitmontop. When using Hidden Power Ice, a Naive nature is preferred, but all other variants should use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types such as Shaymin &mdash;who can switch into and threaten the two &mdash;pair well with it. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who also poses a threat to Cobalion, depending on their set.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Cobalion normally uses physical moves, this set can surprise the opponent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's sSpecial aAttack and dDefense, patching up its weakness to special moves, and Focus Blast is used as the main STAB for lack of more reliable alternatives. Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively, while Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power DarkGhost. Substitue is used to avoid status moves and can survive weaker special attacks after a boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much speed and special attack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevent the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat, and, to a lesser extent, Zapdos alsor work well with it to takeCobalion, taking on Heracross, Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile, and sChoice Scarf Hi Jump Kicks from Mienshao.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach instead of trying to sweep, instead supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse matchup against Curse Snorlax, and Volt Switch keeps the momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins like Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on iImmunity Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good speed; 248 HP EVs hits a lLeftobvers number and 232 sSpeed EVs allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options. The former can scout the upcoming move from choiced opponents and react accordingly, while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled, such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. Further, it has problems with opposing fFighting -types, so packing a resist like Slowbro, Crobat or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls like Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in individual sets. For example, it can opt for a choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lacking offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who don't carry alack Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X s-Scissor- which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden pPower Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but scarfed oneChoice Scarf Nidoking and Heracross leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super-effectively; Chandelure, Darmanitan and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to special Sharpedo, who can use pProtect to get a sSpeed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

[Overview]

<p>While UU is a tier filled with Fighting-types, Cobalion manages to distinguish itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a number of resistances, including a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock and immunity to poison, as well as its excellent physical bulk, good speed, and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense, its Steel typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of Fighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, Cobalion remains a potent threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers such as Snorlax or defensive Pokemon such as Registeel, Porygon2, and Roserade, it reaches 558 attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat serves as a reliable STAB, doing good damage to most things that don't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super-effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it, while X-Scissor hits Slowbro, but can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving it a turn to cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's Attack and Speed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while Lum berry is very useful for avoiding paralysis from Thunder Wave or a burn from Scald. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice or X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also option to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows you to beat Hitmontop. When using Hidden Power Ice a Naive nature is preferred, but all other variants should use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types such as Shaymin&mdash;who can switch into and threaten the two&mdash;pair well with it. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who also poses a threat to Cobalion, depending on their set.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As Cobalion normally uses physical moves, this set can surprise the opponent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's Special Attack and Defense, patching up its weakness to special moves, and Focus Blast is used as the main STAB for lack of more reliable alternatives. Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively, while Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power Ghost. Substitue is used to avoid status moves and can survive weaker special attacks after a boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much speed and special attack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevent the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat, and, to a lesser extent, Zapdos also work well with Cobalion, taking on Heracross, Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile, and Choice Scarf Hi Jump Kicks from Mienshao.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach instead of trying to sweep, supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse matchup against Curse Snorlax, and Volt Switch keeps the momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins like Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on Immunity Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good speed; 248 HP EVs hits a Leftovers number and 232 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options. The former can scout the upcoming move from choiced opponents and react accordingly, while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled, such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. Further, it has problems with opposing Fighting-types, so packing a resist like Slowbro, Crobat or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls like Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in individual sets. For example, it can opt for a choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lacking offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who lack Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X-Scissor which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden Power Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but Choice Scarf Nidoking and Heracross leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super-effectively; Chandelure, Darmanitan and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to special Sharpedo, who can use Protect to get a Speed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

amateur check

deleted added slight changes comments

[Overview]

<p>While Despite UU being a tier filled with fighting types, Cobalion has no trouble distinguishing itself from the rest with its unique typing, which grants it a good number of resistances-(hyphen)including a 4x resistance (?) to Stealth Rock and immunity to poison-(hyphen) on top of its excellent physical bulk, good speed and access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Stealth Rock. On the other hand, it has problems taking special attacks due to its bad Special Defense.(period) Its Steel (no hyphen here)typing has notable drawbacks in a metagame full of Fighting-type moves, and its offenses can be somewhat lacking. Nonetheless, Cobalion remains a potent threat</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Cobalion's main offensive set. After setting up a Swords Dance on physical attackers such as Snorlax or defensive Pokemon like Registeel, Porygon2, and Roserade, it reaches 558 attack and can attempt a sweep. Close Combat is a reliable STAB move, doing good damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while Stone Edge is essential for hitting Zapdos and Chandelure super-effectively. Hidden Power Ice allows Cobalion to get past Gligar, who would otherwise wall it.(period) while X-Scissor can 2HKO Slowbro if holding a Life Orb, hits Slowbro,can only 2HKO it with a Life Orb, giving but otherwise Slowbro will survive two hits and cripple Cobalion with Thunder Wave.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Cobalion's attack and speed, both of which are essential when trying to sweep. Life Orb provides much needed power, while Lum Berry is very useful to absorb a paralysis or burn once, which can be used to give Coballion a free turn of set-up. Iron Head can be used as a secondary STAB, but is generally less useful than Hidden Power Ice and X-Scissor. Taunt and Substitute are also good options to avoid status moves. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up while Substitute allows you to beat Hitmontop. If using Hidden Power Ice, a Naive nature is preferred; otherwise use Jolly. This set's best counters are Slowbro and Gligar, depending on the choice of move, meaning Grass-types such as Shaymin who can switch into an threaten the two pair well with it. Zapdos and Crobat are also good choices as they can take care of Gligar as well as Heracross, who could also pose a threat to Cobalion.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to Cobalion normally using physical moves, this set can surprise the oppoent with boosted special attacks. Calm Mind is essential for increasing both Cobalion's special attack and defense, patching up its weakness to special moves.(period) Focus Blast is used as the main STAB due to a lack of more reliable alternatives. Hidden Power Ghost hits Slowbro as well as Ghost-types super effectively, while Hidden Power Ice is useful for dealing with Gligar and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is the secondary STAB, but its coverage is mostly redundant with Hidden Power Ice, making it more useful in combination with Hidden Power Ghost (The set lists Hidden Power Ghost, not Dark). Substitue is used to avoid status moves and sponge weaker special attacks after a boost without fading.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread focuses on having as much speed and special attack as possible, but an alternative spread of 68 HP / 140 SpA / 68 SpD / 232 Spe can be used to guarantee that Slowbro cannot break a Substitute with either Scald or Psyshock after a boost. Taunt is an option over Substitute to avoid status moves without losing health and prevent the opponent from setting up. This set loses to either Chandelure or Zapdos depending on its Hidden Power, so Snorlax makes an excellent partner. Gligar, Crobat,(comma) and(no comma) to a lesser extent(no comma) Zapdos alsor work well with Coballion, taking on Heracross, Earthquake from Flygon and Krookodile, and scarf Hi Jump Kicks from Mienshao.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes a more defensive approach instead of trying to sweep, instead,(comma) supporting its team with Stealth Rock, serving as a pivot for physical attacks and crippling its usual switch-ins with status. Sacred Sword serves as the reliable STAB; Close Combat is a stronger alternative but comes at the cost of defense drops and a worse matchup against Curse Snorlax, and(period) Volt Switch preserves momentum against any switch-ins that aren't immune to it. Toxic can cripple defensive switch-ins like Slowbro and Sableye, while Hidden Power Ice scores a 2HKO on immunity Gligar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs focus on survivability while still making use of Cobalion's good speed; 248 HP hits a Leftovers (I almost tear my eyes out after reading "leftobers" >w>) number and 232 speed allows it to outspeed everything up to Mienshao. Protect and Taunt are also useful options;(semi colon) the former can scout an upcoming move from choiced opponents so you can react accordingly;(semi colon) while the latter prevents the opponent from setting up hazards or stat-boosting moves. This set pairs well with Pokemon that benefit from Cobalion's counters being crippled, such as Mienshao and Darmanitan. Further, it has problems with opposing fighting types, so packing a resist like Slowbro, Crobat or Gligar is recommended. It also doesn't take special hits well, so walls like Snorlax and Porygon2 make good partners.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cobalion has a variety of options not covered in the sets. For example, it can opt for a choice set instead of relying on set-up moves for power; Choice Specs offers a stronger Volt Switch and Hidden Power Ice while Choice Band doesn't have to rely on Focus Blast's shaky accuracy. Work Up is usable on a mixed attacking set, but is generally not recommended due to Cobalion's lacking offenses. Aerial Ace can be used to deal with Heracross who don't carry a Choice Scarf, and Quick Attack finishes weakened opponents, but is very weak and will rarely be strong enough to KO anything.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is easily Cobalion's best counter; the Swords Dance set's best option against it is a boosted X scissor- which will still barely 2HKO. Gligar beats physical sets without Hidden power Ice, but Iron Head variants can get past it with flinches. Nidoking and Heracross can take almost all hits from Cobalion and OHKO back. Iron Head can help, but scarfed ones leave Cobalion no chance. Choice Scarf users in general almost always have STAB attacks that hit Cobalion super-effectively; Chandelure, Darmanitan and Mienshao easily OHKO while Flygon and Krookodile come close. Hitmontop has Intimidate and takes physical hits well, meaning it beats physical sets without Substitute easily. Suicune and Blastoise can take boosted Close Combats and either hit back to weaken Cobalion or simply phaze it with Roar. The last mention goes to special Sharpedo, who can use protect to get a speed boost and then has a good chance to OHKO with Hydro Pump.</p>

implemented ritter's check, thanks

not sure about above one because it changes stuff the official one didn't so waiting on GP team input I guess?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The check looks p. good, but there's still a few more mistakes, so implement it for now and I'll pick up the rest after you do Ginku

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)