Xatu [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

[pimg]178[/pimg]
Xatu

[Overview]

<p>With the transition into BW2, Xatu gained nothing more than additional threats and more Pokemon to have to switch into thanks to the Stealth Rock tutor. Xatu's typing still proves to be a burden in the lethal Underused tier, as some Pokemon Xatu had little to no issues with in BW1 come back to the tier with new moves from the BW2 tutors that allow them to beat Xatu. Regardless of the Underused tier becoming all the more threatening, Xatu still maintains its status of being a great support Pokemon thanks to its vast support movepool and godsend ability, Magic Bounce.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 2: Roost
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Psychic / Night Shade
item: Leftovers
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Calm / Careful
evs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Xatu's only viable set is meant to support its team to the fullest by blocking hazards and crippling certain threats. Thunder Wave and Toxic both cripple these threats, with Thunder Wave slowing offensive threats such as Heracross and other Choice Scarf users down, and Toxic slowly eating away at the health of bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro and Milotic. Roost restores Xatu's rather low HP, increasing its staying power immensely. U-turn works as a great scouting move that allows you to bring a counter in against opposing threats and create momentum for your team. Psychic provides a STAB attack and can keep Fighting-types at bay, but Night Shade deals 100 points of damage every turn, usually breaking enemy Substitutes. Both are fairly reliable, but should be used with their corresponding nature.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread allows Xatu to outspeed Modest Empoleon, allowing it to Roost before getting hit by Ice Beam, all while maintaining its special bulk. Reflect or Light Screen can also be used to help your team tank hits from either physical or special attacks, but requires Xatu to drop one of its key support moves, reducing their usability. Wish can be used over Roost in order to pass semi-reliable recovery to allies while maintaining self-healing, but won't be passing much due to Xatu's low HP stat, and in order for Xatu to reliably heal itself, it must run Protect as well.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can remove threats such as Zapdos and Rhyperior, for example Flygon and Swampert, make good teammates for Xatu, as they allow Xatu to come in more often and not worry about taking powerful STAB attacks. Pokemon that appreciate not having to worry about entry hazards, such as Yanmega or Darmanitan, also make good teammates for Xatu, as they can pull off sweeps without needlessly losing their HP.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Protect may be used alongside Roost for semi-stalling and HP recovery, but forces Xatu to drop one of its moves, reducing its viability. Grass Knot can be used to catch Rhyperior and Swampert, common switch-ins to Xatu, off guard and deal the pair some heavy damage. However, once those two are off the field, Grass Knot becomes a waste of a moveslot. Heat Wave and Giga Drain provide decent offensive coverage, but Xatu isn't typically designed for offense, a task better left to Pokemon such as Azelf, who has similar coverage and has better Special Attack and Speed stats. A Calm Mind set utilizing Calm Mind, Stored Power, Roost, and Hidden Power Fighting is possible, as it increases Xatu's two best stats. Xatu can, more often than not, can find the time to set it up, but lacks solid Defense and Speed stats to make it worthwhile. A Choice set can be used with either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, as it can be used to somewhat damage an opponent or hinder a setup Pokemon via Trick, but is outclassed by stronger and faster Pokemon such as Azelf, Raikou, and Chandelure.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite preventing it from being placed on your side of the field, Stealth Rock really hurts Xatu's staying power, removing 25% of its health per switch-in, forcing Xatu to worry more about recovering its health rather than supporting its teammates. Strong Choice item users such as Darmanitan and Heracross, pose dangers to Xatu, as they threaten with powerful STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Megahorn, respectively. Every Electric-type Pokemon in the UU tier — Zapdos, Raikou, and Rotom-H — can come in on basically anything but Thunder Wave or Toxic and heavily threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolt. Setup sweepers that are immune to or have a way to cure themselves from the effects of Thunder Wave or Toxic, such as Scrafty or Togekiss, can set up on Xatu and threaten it with powerful attacks. Rhyperior carries Stealth Rock but doesn't allow Xatu to switch in for free thanks to Rock Blast. Krookodile can trap Xatu with Pursuit and is immune to both Thunder Wave and Psychic. Krookodile can also threaten it with Crunch and Stone Edge if need be. Finally, Zoroark can lure Xatu by posing as an entry hazard setter thanks to Illusion and set up a Nasty Plot on Xatu, leaving it room to KO with Dark Pulse.</p>

Note that Xatu is using Magic Bounce on every set. Xatu has 3 abilities, so clarification is necessary. You also need to emphasize it more on the defensive set.

Also, switch either the order of the natures on the defensive set or psychic/night shade so that psychic lines up with a calm nature, and night shade with a careful nature (currently it's psychic/careful and night shade/calm).

I've got Xatu up. I don't really think the choice set is viable at all, simply because there's a plethora of other Pokemon in UU that do that job so much better. It's there to cripple a setup Pokemon, which Xatu already more or less does. I dunno, thoughts on a choice set?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm actually going to test an offensive set of some kind so let's hold off on this for a few days.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is SpD Xatu really the best set? I can think of quite a few special-attacking SR setters, but I can also think of a number of physically-oriented ones (Swampert being the most relevant, which 2hkos you with an Ice Punch / Earthquake combination). I can imagine SpD helps against Empoleon and Azelf, but nidoqueen / king beats you anyway...spikes users are also pretty even split along the special / physical spectrum (although the most common one is certainly specially oriented).

Anyone else have opinions? Specially-defensive does pose strong advantages, but I haven't ever played with Xatu, so...

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
SpD is the best set, as it allows you to beat Roserade, one of the main reasons to use Xatu over other "spinners". The only thing you're beating with a physical spread is offensive Swampert (which isn't common from what I have seen in the ladder / UU Open) as all the other hazards settlers are either beaten with both spreads (qwilfish, bronzong) or not beaten at all (nidoking, rhyperior).

Pursuit users aren't common in this metagame either so SpD is the best spread imo.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah honestly, if you're using Xatu in the first place, you're probably trying to shut down Roserade specifically, and you really want a SpD spread for that. Like you said, both spreads still lose to Rhyperior, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen and beat (defensive) Swampert, Qwilfish, Bronzong, and Gligar.

Not to mention with SpD, Xatu is actually a good Shaymin check (if it has Hidden Power Ice it actually needs to take a SpD drop to lose).

Anyway, I honestly haven't had the time to test that offensive set I wanted to test, so let's just proceed and then if I ever get around to it and determine the set is good, I'll write it up separately.

QC Approved 1/3

Anyway, I honestly haven't had the time to test that offensive set I wanted to test, so let's just proceed and then if I ever get around to it and determine the set is good, I'll write it up separately.

QC Approved 1/3
Alright boss. I still personally don't think it warrants an offensive set when things like Azelf do what it would better.

Nas

Banned deucer.
For as long as Gothitelle is in the tier, Xatu should use 16 speed to outrun modest specs, so it can U-turn out. I also think Toxic should be slashed with Thunder Wave, not mentioned in AC. One let's you cripple sweepers, the other let's you cripple walls. Both are equally good options.

QC Approved 2/3

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Mention Grass Knot in OO as it may let Xatu catch a Rhyperior by surprise (it doesn't OHKO it but it can severely weaken it which is something)

QC Approved (3/3)

First off, may apologies for not having done this sooner. Work and back-to-school stuff has consumed basically any free time I had.

For as long as Gothitelle is in the tier, Xatu should use 16 speed to outrun modest specs, so it can U-turn out. I also think Toxic should be slashed with Thunder Wave, not mentioned in AC. One let's you cripple sweepers, the other let's you cripple walls. Both are equally good options.

QC Approved 2/3
That makes sense to me. I personally highly doubt that Gothitelle will be leaving the tier, so I see no harm in making that change.

Mention Grass Knot in OO as it may let Xatu catch a Rhyperior by surprise (it doesn't OHKO it but it can severely weaken it which is something)

QC Approved (3/3)
Never thought of that, will do. Thanks.

Yeah you need to mention Heat Wave and Giga Drain as well
And so OO gets expanded. Thanks.

Should be written up shortly. Azelf's my priority at the moment since it's been waiting to be finished for a bit now. My boss needs to learn that days off doesn't exactly translate into "Oh, he isn't scheduled for today? Work him 'till he bleeds."

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amateur check, removals changes additions
[pimg]178[/pimg]
Xatu

[Overview]

<p>With the transition into BW2, Xatu gained nothing more than additional threats such as Shadow Tag Gothitelle and more Pokemon to have to switch into thanks to the Stealth Rock tutor. Xatu's typing still proves to be a burden in the lethal Underused tier, as some Pokemon Xatu had little to no issues with in BW1 come back to the tier with new moves from the BW tutors that allow them to beat Xatu. Regardless of the Underused tier becoming all the more threatening, Xatu still maintains its status of being a great support Pokemon thanks to its vast support movepool and godsend ability, Magic Bounce.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Xatu's only viable set is meant to support its team to the fullest by blocking hazards and crippling certain threats. The EV placement ensures that Xatu's newest counter, Modest Choice Specs Shadow Tag Gothitelle, is outsped and cannot trap Xatu thanks to U-turn all while retaining as much special bulk as possible. Thunder Wave and Toxic both cripple certain threats, Thunder Wave slowing offensive threats in Heracross and other Choice Scarf threats down, and Toxic slowly eating away at the health of bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro and Milotic. Roost restores Xatu's rather low HP, increasing its staying power immensely. U-turn works as a great scouting move that allows you to bring a counter in against opposing threats and create momentum for your team. Psychic provides a STAB attack and can keep Fighting-types at bay, but Night Shade deals 100 damage every turn, usually breaking enemy Substitutes. Both are fairly reliable, but should be used with their corresponding nature.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Reflect or Light Screen can also be used to help your team tank hits from either physical or special attacks, but requires Xatu to drop one of its key support moves, reducing their usability. Wish can be used over Roost in order to pass semi-reliable recovery to allies while maintaining self-healing, but won't be passing much due to Xatu's shallow HP stat, and in order for Xatu to heal itself, it must run Protect as well. Pokemon that can remove threats such as Zapdos and Rhyperior, for example Flygon and and Swampert, make good teammates for Xatu, as it allows Xatu to come in more often and not worry about taking powerful STAB attacks. Pokemon that appreciate not having to worry about entry hazards, such as Yanmega or Darmanitan, also make good teammates for Xatu, as they can pull off sweeps without needlessly losing their HP.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Protect may be used alongside Roost for semi-stalling and HP recovery purposes, but forces Xatu to drop one of its moves, reducing its viability. Grass Knot can be used to catch Rhyperior and Swampert, common switch-ins to Xatu, off guard and deal the pair some heavy damage. However, once those two are off the field, Grass Knot becomes a waste of a moveslot. Heat Wave and Giga Drain provide decent offensive coverage, but Xatu isn't typically designed for offense, a task better left to Pokemon such as Azelf, who has similar coverage and has better Special Attack and Speed stats. A Calm Mind set running Calm Mind / Stored Power / Roost / Hidden Power Fighting is possible, as it increases Xatu's two best stats and Xatu more often than not can find the time to set it up, but lacks a solid Defence stat and Dpeed stats to make it worthwhile. A Choice set can be used with either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, as it can be used to somewhat damage an opponent or cripple a setup Pokemon via Trick, but is outclassed by stronger and faster Pokemon such as Azelf, Raikou, and Chandelure.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite preventing it from being placed on your side of the field, Stealth Rock really hurts Xatu's staying power, removing 25% of its health per switch-in, forcing Xatu to worry more about recovering rather than supporting. Strong Choice users such as Darmanitan and Heracross pose as dangers to Xatu, as they threaten with powerful STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Megahorn respectively. Every Electric-type Pokemon in the UU tier&mdash;Zapdos, Raikou, and Rotom-H&mdash;can come in on basically anything but Thunder Wave or Toxic and heavily threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolt. Setup sweepers that are immune to or have a way to cure themselves from the effects of Thunder Wave or Toxic, such as Scrafty or Togekiss, can set up on Xatu and threaten it with powerful attacks. Rhyperior carries Stealth Rock but doesn't allow Xatu to switch in for free thanks to Rock Blast. Krookodile can Pursuit-trap Xatu with Pursuit and is immune to both Thunder Wave and Psychic. Krookodile can also threaten it with Crunch and Stone Edge if need be. Zoroark can lure Xatu by posing as an entry hazards layer thanks to Illusion and set up a Nasty Plot on Xatu, leaving it room to KO with Dark Pulse.</p>

idk if EV stuff needs to be retweaked but either way, it should be moved into AC - actually, the stuff in AC needs a little bit of reorganizing. first paragraph should contain EV, nature (in this case it's fine in set comments), item stuff, as well as viable alternative moves; teammates should go in a second paragraph

OO

A Calm Mind set running Calm Mind, / Stored Power, / Roost, / and Hidden Power Fighting is possible
checks and counters

Darmanitan and Heracross pose as dangers to Xatu

Every Electric-type Pokemon in the UU tierZapdos, Raikou, and Rotom-Hcan come in
[gp]1/2[/gp]

idk if EV stuff needs to be retweaked but either way, it should be moved into AC - actually, the stuff in AC needs a little bit of reorganizing. first paragraph should contain EV, nature (in this case it's fine in set comments), item stuff, as well as viable alternative moves; teammates should go in a second paragraph

OO

checks and counters

[gp]1/2[/gp]
Thanks sirndpt! I'll implement those checks right away.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder for amateur check, I'll do this right now.

All right, it's done, this was quite well-written. There weren't many changes to make, though remember that Smogon uses American English spellings instead of the British ones.

[Overview]

<p>With the transition into BW2, Xatu gained nothing more than additional threats and more Pokemon to have to switch into thanks to the Stealth Rock tutor. Xatu's typing still proves to be a burden in the lethal Underused tier, as some Pokemon Xatu had little to no issues with in BW1 come back to the tier with new moves from the BW BW2 tutors that allow them to beat Xatu. Regardless of the Underused tier becoming all the more threatening, Xatu still maintains its status of being a great support Pokemon thanks to its vast support movepool and godsend ability, Magic Bounce.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Xatu's only viable set is meant to support its team to the fullest by blocking hazards and crippling certain threats. Thunder Wave and Toxic both cripple certain these threats, Thunder Wave slowing offensive threats in such as Heracross and other Choice Scarf threats users down, and Toxic slowly eating away at the health of bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro and Milotic. Roost restores Xatu's rather low HP, increasing its staying power immensely. U-turn works as a great scouting move that allows you to bring a counter in against opposing threats and create momentum for your team. Psychic provides a STAB attack and can keep Fighting-types at bay, but Night Shade deals 100 damage every turn, usually breaking enemy Substitutes. Both are fairly reliable, but should be used with their corresponding nature.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread allows Xatu to outspeed Modest Empoleon, allowing it to Roost before the getting hit by Ice Beam, all while maintaining its special bulk. Reflect or Light Screen can also be used to help your team tank hits from either physical or special attacks, but requires Xatu to drop one of its key support moves, reducing their usability. Wish can be used over Roost in order to pass semi-reliable recovery to allies while maintaining self-healing, but won't be passing much due to Xatu's shallow HP stat, and in order for Xatu to heal itself, it must run Protect as well.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can remove threats such as Zapdos and Rhyperior, for example Flygon and and Swampert, make good teammates for Xatu, as it allows they allow Xatu to come in more often and not worry about taking powerful STAB attacks. Pokemon that appreciate not having to worry about entry hazards, such as Yanmega or Darmanitan, also make good teammates for Xatu, as they can pull off sweeps without needlessly losing their HP.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Protect may be used alongside Roost for semi-stalling and HP recovery, but forces Xatu to drop one of its moves, reducing its viability. Grass Knot can be used to catch Rhyperior and Swampert, common switch-ins to Xatu, off guard and deal the pair some heavy damage. However, once those two are off the field, Grass Knot becomes a waste of a moveslot. Heat Wave and Giga Drain provide decent offensive coverage, but Xatu isn't typically designed for offense, a task better left to Pokemon such as Azelf, who has similar coverage and has better Special Attack and Speed stats. A Calm Mind set running Calm Mind, Stored Power, Roost, and Hidden Power Fighting is possible, as it increases Xatu's two best stats and Xatu more often than not can find the time to set it up, but lacks solid Defence Defense and Speed stats to make it worthwhile. A Choice set can be used with either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, as it can be used to somewhat damage an opponent or cripple a setup Pokemon via Trick, but is outclassed by stronger and faster Pokemon such as Azelf, Raikou, and Chandelure.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite preventing it from being placed on your side of the field, Stealth Rock really hurts Xatu's staying power, removing 25% of its health per switch-in, forcing Xatu to worry more about recovering rather than supporting. Strong Choice users such as Darmanitan and Heracross pose dangers to Xatu, as they threaten with powerful STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Megahorn respectively. Every Electric-type Pokemon in the UU tier&mdash;Zapdos, Raikou, and Rotom-H - can come in on basically anything but Thunder Wave or Toxic and heavily threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolt. Setup sweepers that are immune to or have a way to cure themselves from the effects of Thunder Wave or Toxic, such as Scrafty or Togekiss, can set up on Xatu and threaten it with powerful attacks. Rhyperior carries Stealth Rock but doesn't allow Xatu to switch in for free thanks to Rock Blast. Krookodile can trap Xatu with Pursuit and is immune to both Thunder Wave and Psychic. Krookodile can also threaten it with Crunch and Stone Edge if need be. Finally, Zoroark can lure Xatu by posing as an entry hazard layer thanks to Illusion and set up a Nasty Plot on Xatu, leaving it room to KO with Dark Pulse.</p>

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>With the transition into BW2, Xatu gained nothing more than additional threats and more Pokemon to have to switch into thanks to the Stealth Rock tutor. Xatu's typing still proves to be a burden in the lethal Underused tier, as some Pokemon Xatu had little to no issues with in BW1 come back to the tier with new moves from the BW BW2 tutors that allow them to beat Xatu. Regardless of the Underused tier becoming all the more threatening, Xatu still maintains its status of being a great support Pokemon thanks to its vast support movepool and godsend ability, Magic Bounce.</p>​

[SET]

evs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe​

[SET COMMENTS]​

<p>Xatu's only viable set is meant to support its team to the fullest by blocking hazards and crippling certain threats. Thunder Wave and Toxic both cripple certain these threats, with Thunder Wave slowing offensive threats in such as Heracross and other Choice Scarf threats users down, and Toxic slowly eating away at the health of bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro and Milotic. Roost restores Xatu's rather low HP, increasing its staying power immensely. U-turn works as a great scouting move that allows you to bring a counter in against opposing threats and create momentum for your team. Psychic provides a STAB attack and can keep Fighting-types at bay, but Night Shade deals 100 points of damage every turn, usually breaking enemy Substitutes. Both are fairly reliable, but should be used with their corresponding nature.</p>​

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]​

<p>The EV spread allows Xatu to outspeed Modest Empoleon, allowing it to Roost before the getting hit by Ice Beam, all while maintaining its special bulk. Reflect or Light Screen can also be used to help your team tank hits from either physical or special attacks, but requires Xatu to drop one of its key support moves, reducing their usability. Wish can be used over Roost in order to pass semi-reliable recovery to allies while maintaining self-healing, but won't be passing much due to Xatu's shallow HP stat, and in order for Xatu to reliably heal itself, it must run Protect as well.</p>​

<p>Pokemon that can remove threats such as Zapdos and Rhyperior, for example Flygon and and Swampert, make good teammates for Xatu, as it allows they allow Xatu to come in more often and not worry about taking powerful STAB attacks. Pokemon that appreciate not having to worry about entry hazards, such as Yanmega or Darmanitan, also make good teammates for Xatu, as they can pull off sweeps without needlessly losing their HP.</p>​

[Other Options]​

<p>Protect may be used alongside Roost for semi-stalling and HP recovery, but forces Xatu to drop one of its moves, reducing its viability. Grass Knot can be used to catch Rhyperior and Swampert, common switch-ins to Xatu, off guard and deal the pair some heavy damage. However, once those two are off the field, Grass Knot becomes a waste of a moveslot. Heat Wave and Giga Drain provide decent offensive coverage, but Xatu isn't typically designed for offense, a task better left to Pokemon such as Azelf, who has similar coverage and has better Special Attack and Speed stats. A Calm Mind set running utilizing Calm Mind, Stored Power, Roost, and Hidden Power Fighting is possible, as it increases Xatu's two best stats.[add] and Xatu more often than not can, more often than not, find the time to set it up, but lacks solid Defence Defense and Speed stats to make it worthwhile. A Choice set can be used with either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, as it can be used to somewhat damage an opponent or cripple hinder a setup Pokemon via Trick, but is outclassed by stronger and faster Pokemon such as Azelf, Raikou, and Chandelure.</p>​

[Checks and Counters]​

<p>Despite preventing it from being placed on your side of the field, Stealth Rock really hurts Xatu's staying power, removing 25% of its health per switch-in, forcing Xatu to worry more about recovering its health rather than supporting its teammates. Strong Choice item users,[add] such as Darmanitan and Heracross,[add] pose dangers to Xatu, as they threaten with powerful STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Megahorn,[add] respectively. Every Electric-type Pokemon in the UU tier&mdash;Zapdos, Raikou, and Rotom-H&mdash;can come in on basically anything but Thunder Wave or Toxic and heavily threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolt. Setup sweepers that are immune to or have a way to cure themselves from the effects of Thunder Wave or Toxic, such as Scrafty or Togekiss, can set up on Xatu and threaten it with powerful attacks. Rhyperior carries Stealth Rock but doesn't allow Xatu to switch in for free thanks to Rock Blast. Krookodile can trap Xatu with Pursuit and is immune to both Thunder Wave and Psychic. Krookodile can also threaten it with Crunch and Stone Edge if need be. Finally, Zoroark can lure Xatu by posing as an entry hazard layer setter thanks to Illusion and set up a Nasty Plot on Xatu, leaving it room to KO with Dark Pulse.</p>​
Gonna stamp this with some additional changes of my own (in bold).​

[gp]2/2[/gp]​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)