Beartic (NU Revamp) [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>In a tier where Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangela are common, Beartic is notable for its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive typing in Ice and a nice base 110 Attack, Beartic can hit pretty hard. Beartic's decent 95 / 80 / 80 bulk also means it's somewhat hard to wear down while its good movepool gives it perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Beartic is held back by several factors. For one, while Ice is a good offensive typing, defensively it bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type attacks. In addition, its Speed isn't very high, and it also competes with Piloswine as an offensive Ice-type, due to the latter's secondary Ground-type STAB, STAB priority, and neutrality to Stealth Rock. In contrast to Piloswine, however, Beartic has the ability to use Focus Punch, lacks a Grass-type weakness, and has access to Taunt. Overall, Beartic is a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Taunt / Aqua Jet
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, it tends to last quite a while and thus can deal quite a bit of damage over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is the main STAB option as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice-type attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, this combination is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types such as Charizard, Flareon, and Torkoal.</p>

<p>The final moveslot largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred as it prevents walls like Musharna and Garbodor from setting up on Beartic, which allows Beartic to wear them down. Taunt also allows Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams, as it can wear down these teams as Beartic absorbs their relatively weak hits well due to its bulk. However, Aqua Jet also has its uses as it is Beartic's only priority option, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its low Speed stat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Beatic's Attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s, such as Tangela and Weezing, while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful.</p>

<p>Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spin user. Because Beartic is more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo is a good partner, as it is the only offensive spinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk's and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. As Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass- and Water-types, such as Torterra and Ludicolo, make good partners, because Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon like Floatzel to spam rain-boosted Water-type attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Icicle Crash
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Beartic might seem outclassed by other SubPunch users, due to a lack of Fighting-type STAB. However, since none of the fully evolved Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier can learn Focus Punch, the lack of STAB is less undermining. In addition, when Beartic is behind a Substitute, Beartic's Ice-type STAB means it can defeat Haunter, Drifblim, and Golurk, three of the four most common Ghost-types in the tier.</p>

<p>As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then use Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Because all the common Pokemon in NU are hit neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred in the fourth slot to mess up walls like Alomomola, which have high enough bulk to take the other moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, and this spread allows Beartic to set up a Substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Leftovers allow it to make more Substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the Substitute to a degree.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin users, such as Armaldo and Torkoal, are useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. This is important because Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up Substitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types, such as Leafeon and Torterra, make good partners as well—both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them.</p>

<p>A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast can break Beartic's Substitute and KO it on the same turn. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good team options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. Moreover, while Beartic can deal with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic would love to just use Focus Punch, so Dark-types, such as Skuntank and Absol, make good partners as well to trap and remove them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Beartic's offensive movepool is rather shallow, but it still has a few other options to consider. Swords Dance makes it powerful, but it's too slow to use it effectively, which, combined with its poor defensive typing, makes it very easy to revenge kill. Bulk Up and Hone Claws are also similarly difficult to set up due to these weaknesses. Night Slash is able to hit Frillish and Grumpig very hard, but they are too uncommon to worry about.</p>

<p>Beartic has a decent support movepool including useful moves such as Yawn, Roar, and Encore. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is rather difficult. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up, because it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in hail, but hail is never seen within NU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of the weaknesses its Ice typing brings. Fighting-types, such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh, easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash. In general, physical walls like Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a Substitute. Armaldo has STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary.</p>

<p>Regirock needs to be wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk and Rock STAB makes it a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match. Setting Stealth Rock up makes Beartic easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat.</p>

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this matters much but, for the first set, I think the EVs should be 40 HP, which will leave it at 341.

He comes in on SR 4 times and loses (85.25~) 85 HP each time. After 4 switch ins it has lost 340 HP and has 1 HP left. I don't know the likelihood of this scenario, but at least its there.

I don't know if this matters much but, for the first set, I think the EVs should be 40 HP, which will leave it at 341.

He comes in on SR 4 times and loses (85.25~) 85 HP each time. After 4 switch ins it has lost 340 HP and has 1 HP left. I don't know the likelihood of this scenario, but at least its there.
The Life Orb unfortunately makes this not work. Beartic is likely to attack at least once, so this isn't really completely needed I think...

EDIT: I changed it, though there really isn't much of a difference in my eyes

breh

強いだね
Regardless, Yonko is correct that you should at least make it able to switch into SR 4 times, regardless of LO recoil.

my thoughts:

Possibly an Aqua Jet slash with Taunt on the all out attacker set. I think that Taunt should be the Primary slash for sure, but priority is priority. Even though it isnt STAB and subsequently weak. I'd like QC input on the set.

I disagree with the Night Slash addition on the SubPunch set. Since Grumpig is rare and Toxic allows it to deal good damage to common switchins. Toxic can hit an Alomomola switching in so you can do a little bit to it.

for OO I'd mention Beartics good support movepool, but why not to use it since its typing is not good for a defensive Pokemon. It gets Roar, Encore, Yawn and Taunt. Only Taunt should be considered for use on Beartic.

I'll probably approve this later, I just want some input on an Aqua Jet slash

ok we discussed this on IRC. Slash Aqua Jet on the attacker set, second to Taunt. Also the teammates need to be expanded quite a bit, water types are good teammates for the first set, but Floatzel shouldn't be the main one listed. I think Ludicolo would be better mentioned here.

For the second set remove Night Slash, add way more teammates. It really needs to be expanded. I'd also be careful how you word that it defeats ghost types. Make sure it doesnt sound like it counters them. Since all the ghosts can smash Beartic. It can reliably defeat the common answer to subpunchers when its behind a sub. But thats it.

Other than that I'm happy with this. [qc]1/3[/qc]

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Basically do everything Raseri just mentioned.

QC Approved 2/3

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Expand the Checks and Counters section, as well as teammates for both sets, and then

QC Approve 3/3

Just got back from a camp. Anyways...
  1. Aqua Jet has been added and thus has been removed from OO.
  2. Night Slash has been removed, but it was added to OO.
  3. Added support moves (Yawn, Encore, Roar) to OO... and I explained why Beartic isn't the best user of them.
  4. Changed the wording for the SubPunch set vs. Ghosts, saying that it can generally beat them only if it is hiding behind a Substitute.
  5. Extra Teammates for the All-Out Attacker - Ludicolo and Misdreavus
  6. Extra Teammates for the SubPuncher - Absol, Skuntank, Torterra, and Leafeon.
  7. Extra Checks/Counters - Regirock, Torkoal, Frillish, Stealth Rock in general, and Lampent
I think that was everything that was suggested (I think 4 is "a lot more partners" to the SubPunch set considering I generalized a bit (Dark-types/Offensive Grass-types, but correct me if I need more), so I will add the QC checks now.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll edit the OP once you check melvni's post, and implement what you feel is right.

My thoughts (Amateur Check):
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in DarkGreen

Current NU Analysis

[Overview]

<p> In a tier where Grass-type walls such as Amoonguss roam are common (roam doesn't seem like the right verb here to me for some reason; maybe something like "In a tier full of Grass-type walls like Amoonguss" would work better), Beartic is notable for one of the few that can its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive type typing (I think typing is the proper wording, but I'm not positive) in Ice and a nice base 110 attack stat, Beartic can hit pretty hard. In addition, Beartic also has 95/80/80 bulk, making Beartic's decent 95/80/80 bulk also means it's it somewhat hard to wear down. Finally, while its good/adequate (depending on which you and everyone else think it is) movepool is good enough to obtain gives it perfect neutral coverage on all common Pokemon in NU (no Pokemon resists Ice/Fighting/Rock/Water or Ice/Fighting/Rock). Unfortunately, Beartic has a few things things holding it back is held back by several factors. For one, wWhile Ice is a good offensive type typing, defensively it is bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common weak to the common Fire, Fighting, and Rock attacks moves that are common in the tier, which includes a weakness to Stealth Rock. In addition, his its (Beatric can be male or female) Speed isn't very high, (necessary comma) and he it gets competition with from Piloswine for as an offensive Ice-type, due to his lack of a the latter's secondary STAB, STAB priority, better bulk with Eviolite, and neutrality to Stealth Rock (I believe these other advantages Piloswine has could also merit mentions). Despite this, Beartic can is still be a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Beartic has excellent coverage and has a good offensive typing in Ice. This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing these two traits to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, he it tends to last quite a while, (unnecessary comma) and thus can deal quite a bit of damage in that time span over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is used as the main STAB option, (I don't think this comma is necessary) as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, the this combination of these two moves is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common in NU. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot, (I don't think this comma is necessary) as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types, (comma) such as Charizard, Flareon, (comma) and Torkoal. </p>

<p> The final moveslot is up largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred, however, as it can prevents walls such as Musharna or and Garbodor from setting up on it Beartic, allowing Beartic it to wear these Pokemon or something similar them down. Taunt It also allows it Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams (How so, I think this could be elaborated upon a little). However, if one desires a more offensive Beartic, Aqua Jet also has its uses as is preffered since it is Beartic's only priority option. Despite it not having STAB, it can still, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its and it ignores Beartic's somewhat low Speed stat. (period)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The EVs given allow Beartic to maximize its Beatic's attack while ensuring and let it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). However, there are other possibilities on the EVs or items. A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. could be used to make Beartic as offensive as possible. The Speed EVs are also customizable if certain benchmarks need to be hit to Taunt a Pokemon and allow more to be placed into its HP. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows it to outrun and Taunt base 60s such as Tangela and Weezing while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s like Alomomola. While a Life Orb is used to make it hit as hard as possible while still letting it switch moves generally the preferable item choice, a Choice Band is an option if Taunt is unused using Aqua Jet, as it allows more the increased power than a Life Orb would can be useful. </p>

<p> Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is cripples it very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spinner. Due to the Beartic being more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo makes a good partner, since it is the only offensive Rapid Spinner one available in NU (I'm a little confused by this sentence, you might want to make it clearer whether you mean that Beartic is generally found on offensive teams or that a offensive rapid spinner makes a good partner simply because Beartic is a Pokemon with much more offensive than defensive power; if the former is the case, I definitely agree, but if you meant the latter I'm not entirely sure that I do). However, Torkoal is also an option to get rid of Stealth Rock, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic, (unnecessary comma) and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk and Misdreavus's Ghost-typings make them take on Fighting-types well immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on (this seemed redundant to me), as well as while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well, who has the option of burning them. Since Beartic deals with Grass-types well, this makes offensive Grass-types and Water-types such as Torterra and Ludicolo make good partners, since Beartic can take out Pokemon they would respectively, which otherwise struggle with Pokemon against such as Tangela or and Amoonguss. Moreover, all Water-types can use Rain Dance, and due to Beartic's ability sSwift sSwim, (unnecessary comma) means it he can provide a vital role on a Swift Swim-themed Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types with Ice-type moves to pave the way for another Pokemon such as Floatzel to spam rain boosted Water-type attacks Waterfall without much of a worry. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> At first glance, it Beartic may seem like Beartic is outclassed by other SubPunch users, due to a lack of Fighting-type STAB on Focus Punch. However, since in a tier where none of the fully evolved Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier can learn Focus Punch, the lack of STAB is less undermining rather inconsequential with regards to competition. In addition, when it is behind a Substitute, Beartic's ice STAB means it can defeat Haunter, Drifblim, and Golurk, which are 3 three of the four most common Ghost-types in the tier (Out of curiosity, can it beat Misdreavus with Icicle Crash? Because, if so, it might be worth mentioning that Icicle Crash can beat all the common Ghosts in the tier. That is, assuming it beats Misdreavus of course) that are immune to Focus Punch, by using its Ice STAB. </p>

<p> As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Icicle Crash takes down Haunter, Golurk, and Drifblim when behind a substitute. (you mentioned this in the previous paragraph already I believe) Since all the common Pokemon in NU are hit nuetrally neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred for in the fourth slot to mess up walls such as Alomomola, who have high enough bulk to take on the other moves. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The EVs given allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, so and this spread allows Beartic can to set up a substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Be warned, however, that this set prefers more bulk than an the All-Out Attacker. Leftovers allow it to make more substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the substitute to a degree. </p>

<p> Rapid Spinners such as Armaldo and Torkoal are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. As Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up substitutes that means it can set up one less substitute than usual. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types such as Leafeon and Torterra make good partners as well - both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them these types of Pokemon. </p>

<p> A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast it can break a Beartic's Substitute and KO Beartic it on the same turn thanks to a Skill Linked Rock Blast. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. In addition Moreover, while Beartic can deals with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic it would love to just use Focus Punch without worrying about these Pokemon. Due to this, so Dark-types such as Skuntank or and Absol make good partners as well to trap and remove them can trap or outright defeat most Ghost-types that would trouble Beartic.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Beartic's offensive movepool is rather shallow, but it still has a few other options to consider. Swords Dance makes it powerful, but it is too slow to use it effectively, which, combined with its poor defensive typing, makes it very easy to revenge kill and has very little around this. Although Taunt alleviates this problem slightly to help it against stall, its typing makes it easy to revenge kill. Bulk Up and Hone Claws are also similarly difficult to set up due to its unfortunate these weaknesses. Night Slash is able to hit Frillish and Grumpig very hard, but they are simply too uncommon to worry about. </p>

<p> Beartic has a decent support movepool consisting of including useful moves like Yawn, Roar, and Encore, which are decent in their own right. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is difficult making them unfavorable. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up since it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in Hail, but Hail is never seen within NU. </p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p> The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of the weaknesses its Ice-typing brings. In this case, Fighting-types such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash (doesn't it have to worry about Beartic's other moves?). In general, physical walls such as Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well without much of an issue. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted by it they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down if they are affected by the move. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a substitute. Armaldo has a Rock STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, as well as a along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary Beartic has it. </p>

<p> Regirock needs to be careful wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk, and Rock STAB, and possibly even Drain Punch makes it able to take on a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting-moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match which makes Beartic hit overall less hard. Setting up Stealth Rock up makes Beartic initially weaker and also makes it easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat. </p>

Implemented Melvni's check, EXCEPT for that Piloswine gets a better bulk with an Eviolite in the overview. Beartic uses a Life Orb anyway of its first set (more power), and the second set is something Piloswine is incapable of. I also decided to say that it has Taunt, no Grass-weakness, and Focus Punch, which Piloswine lacks/has right after that, and changed the wording accordingly.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, I'll look over the OP since you did melvni's edits.

Am GP check.

Remove

Add

Comment

[Overview]

<p>In a tier where Grass-type walls such as Amoonguss are common, Beartic is notable for its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive typing in Ice and a nice base 110 aAttack stat, Beartic can hit pretty hard. Beartic's decent 95 / 80 / 80 Spaces between the slashes bulk also means it's somewhat hard to wear down while its good movepool gives it perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Beartic space is held back by several factors. For one, while Ice is a good offensive typing, defensively it bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type Hyphen after specific types attacks. In addition, its Speed isn't very high and it gets competition from competes with Piloswine as an offensive Ice-type, due to latter's secondary STAB, STAB priority, and neutrality to Stealth Rock. In contrast to Piloswine, however, Beartic gets has the ability to use Focus Punch, lacks a Grass-type weakness, and has access to Taunt. Overall, Beartic is still a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support.</p> No space after <p> or before the </p>, which is recurring in all the paragraphs

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, it tends to last quite a while and thus can deal quite a bit of damage over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is used as the main STAB option as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, this combination is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types, such as Charizard, Flareon, and Torkoal.</p>

<p>The final moveslot largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred as it prevents walls such as Musharna and Garbodor from setting up on Beartic, allowing it to wear them down. Taunt also allows Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams, as it can wear down these teams as it absorbs their relatively weak hits well due to its bulk. However, Aqua Jet also has its uses as it is Beartic's only priority option, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its low Speed stat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EVs given maximize Beatic's attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows it Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s such as Tangela and Weezing while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s like such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful. </p>

<p> Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spinner. Due to Beartic being more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo makes a good partner, since it is the only offensive Rapid Spinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. Since Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass-types and Water-types such as Torterra and Ludicolo make good partners, since Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability Swift Swim means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon such as Floatzel to spam rain boosted Water-type attacks. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Beartic may seem outclassed by other SubPunch users, due to a lack of Fighting-type STAB. However, since none of the fully evolved Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier can learn Focus Punch, the lack of STAB is less undermining. In addition, when it Beartic is behind a Substitute, Beartic's Ice STAB means it can defeat Haunter, Drifblim, and Golurk, three of the four most common Ghost-types in the tier. Period</p>

<p>As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then use Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Since all the common Pokemon in NU are hit neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred in the fourth slot to mess up walls such as Alomomola, who have high enough bulk to take the other moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EVs given allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, and this spread allows Beartic to set up a substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Be warned, however, that this set prefers more bulk than the All-Out Attacker. Leftovers allow it to make more substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the substitute to a degree. </p>

<p>Rapid Spinners such as Armaldo and Torkoal are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. As Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up substitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types such as Leafeon and Torterra make good partners as well - both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them. </p>

<p> A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast can break Beartic's Substitute and KO it on the same turn. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. Moreover, while Beartic can deal with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic would love to just use Focus Punch, so Dark-types such as Skuntank and Absol make good partners as well to trap and remove them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Beartic's offensive movepool is rather shallow, but it still has a few other options to consider. Swords Dance makes it powerful, but it's is too slow to use it effectively, which, combined with its poor defensive typing, makes it very easy to revenge kill. Bulk Up and Hone Claws are also similarly difficult to set up due to these weaknesses. Night Slash is able to hit Frillish and Grumpig very hard, but they are too uncommon to worry about.</p>

<p>Beartic has a decent support movepool including useful moves like such as Yawn, Roar, and Encore. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is difficult. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up since it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in Hail, but Hail is never seen within NU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
Space
<p> The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of the weaknesses its Ice-typeing weaknesses brings. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash. In general, physical walls such as Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted by it they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a substitute. Armaldo has STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary. </p>

<p>Regirock needs to be careful wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk, and Rock STAB makes it a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting-moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match. Setting Stealth Rock up makes Beartic easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat.</p>

Nice job writing this! Excellent quality.

Remember the spaces with <p>.

I can c/p the edits if you want.

Due to how few edits you have, Yonko7, the c/p is not needed - I already implemented your changes before I even read that far :P

Yonko7's GP check is also in; thank you both for doing these!

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Times flyin'!

Add
Remove
Comment

[Overview]

<p>In a tier where Grass-types walls such as Amoonguss and Tangela are common, Beartic is notable for its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive typing in Ice and a nice base 110 Attack, Beartic can hit pretty hard. Beartic's decent 95 / 80 / 80 bulk also means it's somewhat hard to wear down while its good movepool gives it perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Beartic is held back by several factors. For one, while Ice is a good offensive typing, defensively it bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type attacks. In addition, its Speed isn't very high and competes with Piloswine as an offensive Ice-type, due to latter's secondary Ground-type STAB, STAB priority, and neutrality to Stealth Rock. In contrast to Piloswine, however, Beartic has the ability to use Focus Punch, lacks a Grass-type weakness, and has access to Taunt. Overall, Beartic is a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, it tends to last quite a while and thus can deal quite a bit of damage over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is used as the main STAB option as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice-type attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, this combination is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types, such as Charizard, Flareon, and Torkoal.</p>

<p>The final moveslot largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred as it prevents walls such as Musharna and Garbodor from setting up on Beartic, which allows Beartic allowing it to wear them down. Taunt also allows Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams, as it can wear down these teams as it Beartic absorbs their relatively weak hits well due to its bulk. However, Aqua Jet also has its uses as it is Beartic's only priority option, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its low Speed stat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>[No Space]The given EVs maximize Beatic's attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s such as Tangela and Weezing while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful.[No Space]</p>

<p>[No space]Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spinner. Due to Beartic being more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo makeis a good partner, since as it is the only offensive Rapid Spinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. Since As Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass-types and Water-types such as Torterra and Ludicolo make good partners, since because Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon such as Floatzel to spam rain boosted Water-type attacks.[No Space]</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Beartic mightay seem outclassed by other SubPunch users, due to a lack of Fighting-type STAB. However, since none of the fully evolved Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier can learn Focus Punch, the lack of STAB is less undermining. In addition, when Beartic is behind a Substitute, Beartic's Ice-type STAB means it can defeat Haunter, Drifblim, and Golurk, three of the four most common Ghost-types in the tier.</p>

<p>As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then use Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Since Because all the common Pokemon in NU are hit neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred in the fourth slot to mess up walls such as Alomomola, whicho have high enough bulk to take the other moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>[No Space]The given EVs allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, and this spread allows Beartic to set up a substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Be warned, however, that this set prefers more bulk than the All-Out Attacker. Leftovers allow it to make more substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the substitute to a degree.[No Space]</p>

<p>Rapid Spinners such as Armaldo and Torkoal are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. As Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up sSubstitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types such as Leafeon and Torterra make good partners as well - both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them. </p>

<p> A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast can break Beartic's Substitute and KO it on the same turn. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. Moreover, while Beartic can deal with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic would love to just use Focus Punch, so Dark-types such as Skuntank and Absol make good partners as well to trap and remove them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Beartic's offensive movepool is rather shallow, but it still has a few other options to consider. Swords Dance makes it powerful, but it's too slow to use it effectively, which, combined with its poor defensive typing, makes it very easy to revenge kill. Bulk Up and Hone Claws are also similarly difficult to set up due to these weaknesses. Night Slash is able to hit Frillish and Grumpig very hard, but they are too uncommon to worry about.</p>

<p>Beartic has a decent support movepool including useful moves such as Yawn, Roar, and Encore. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is rather difficult. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up since , because it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in Hail, but Hail is never seen within NU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>[No Space]The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of its Ice-type weaknesses. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash. In general, physical walls such as Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a substitute. Armaldo has STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary. </p>

<p>Regirock needs to be wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk, and Rock STAB makes it a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting-moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match. Setting Stealth Rock up makes Beartic easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat.</p>

[Overview]

<p>In a tier where Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangela are common, Beartic is notable for its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive typing in Ice and a nice base 110 Attack, Beartic can hit pretty hard. Beartic's decent 95 / 80 / 80 bulk also means it's somewhat hard to wear down while its good movepool gives it perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Beartic is held back by several factors. For one, while Ice is a good offensive typing, defensively it bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type attacks. In addition, its Speed isn't very high and competes with Piloswine as an offensive Ice-type, due to latter's secondary Ground-type STAB, STAB priority, and neutrality to Stealth Rock. In contrast to Piloswine, however, Beartic has the ability to use Focus Punch, lacks a Grass-type weakness, and has access to Taunt. Overall, Beartic is a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, it tends to last quite a while and thus can deal quite a bit of damage over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is the main STAB option as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice-type attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, this combination is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types, such as Charizard, Flareon, and Torkoal.</p>

<p>The final moveslot largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred as it prevents walls such as Musharna and Garbodor from setting up on Beartic, which allows Beartic to wear them down. Taunt also allows Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams, as it can wear down these teams as Beartic absorbs their relatively weak hits well due to its bulk. However, Aqua Jet also has its uses as it is Beartic's only priority option, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its low Speed stat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Beatic's attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s such as Tangela and Weezing while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful.</p>

<p>Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spinner. Due to Beartic being more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo is a good partner, as it is the only offensive Rapid Spinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. As Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass-types and Water-types such as Torterra and Ludicolo make good partners, because Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon such as Floatzel to spam rain boosted Water-type attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Beartic might seem outclassed by other SubPunch users, due to a lack of Fighting-type STAB. However, since none of the fully evolved Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier can learn Focus Punch, the lack of STAB is less undermining. In addition, when Beartic is behind a Substitute, Beartic's Ice-type STAB means it can defeat Haunter, Drifblim, and Golurk, three of the four most common Ghost-types in the tier.</p>

<p>As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then use Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Because all the common Pokemon in NU are hit neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred in the fourth slot to mess up walls such as Alomomola, which have high enough bulk to take the other moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, and this spread allows Beartic to set up a substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Be warned, however, that this set prefers more bulk than the All-Out Attacker. Leftovers allow it to make more substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the Substitute to a degree.</p>

<p>Rapid Spinners such as Armaldo and Torkoal are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. As Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up sSubstitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types such as Leafeon and Torterra make good partners as well - both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them.</p>

<p>A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast can break Beartic's Substitute and KO it on the same turn. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. Moreover, while Beartic can deal with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic would love to just use Focus Punch, so Dark-types such as Skuntank and Absol make good partners as well to trap and remove them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Beartic has a decent support movepool including useful moves such as Yawn, Roar, and Encore. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is rather difficult. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up, because it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in Hail, but Hail is never seen within NU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of its Ice-type weaknesses. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash. In general, physical walls such as Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a substitute. Armaldo has STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary. </p>

<p>Regirock needs to be wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk, and Rock STAB makes it a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting-moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match. Setting Stealth Rock up makes Beartic easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat.</p>

Good Job!

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
One more thing I forgot:

AC of All-Out Attacker said:
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EVs maximize Beatic's attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s such as Tangela and Weezing while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful. </p>

<p> Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spinner user. Due to Beartic being more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo makes a good partner, since it is the only offensive Rapid Sspinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. Since Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass-types and Water-types such as Torterra and Ludicolo make good partners, since Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon such as Floatzel to spam rain boosted Water-type attacks. </p>
AC of SubPunch said:
<p>Rapid Spinners users such as Armaldo and Torkoal are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. As Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up substitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types such as Leafeon and Torterra make good partners as well - both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them. </p>
Rapid Spin user and spinners are coined terms for Smogon, but Rapid Spinners isn't.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>In a tier where Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangela are common, Beartic is notable for its ability to get past these usually troublesome foes. With a good offensive typing in Ice and a nice base 110 Attack, Beartic can hit pretty hard. Beartic's decent 95 / 80 / 80 bulk also means it's somewhat hard to wear down while its good movepool gives it perfect neutral coverage. Unfortunately, Beartic is held back by several factors. For one, while Ice is a good offensive typing, defensively it bestows weaknesses to Stealth Rock and common Fire-, Fighting-, and Rock-type attacks. In addition, its Speed isn't very high and therefore competes with Piloswine as an offensive Ice-type, due to the latter's secondary Ground-type STAB, STAB priority, and neutrality to Stealth Rock. In contrast to Piloswine, however, Beartic has the ability to use Focus Punch, lacks a Grass-type weakness, and has access to Taunt. Overall, Beartic is a dangerous offensive Pokemon with the right support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to take advantage of Beartic's excellent coverage and good offensive typing to do as much damage as possible. Thanks to Beartic's decent bulk, it tends to last quite a while and thus can deal quite a bit of damage over the course of a match. Icicle Crash is the main STAB option as it is Beartic's most powerful physical Ice-type attack, while Superpower is used to get past Steel-types that resist Icicle Crash, as well as Thick Fat Miltank. Notably, this combination is only resisted by Shedinja, Grumpig, Lampent, and Frillish, none of which are particularly common. Stone Edge is preferred for the third slot as it is Beartic's best option against most Fire-types such as Charizard, Flareon, and Torkoal.</p>

<p>The final moveslot largely comes down to personal preference. Taunt is generally preferred as it prevents walls like Musharna and Garbodor from setting up on Beartic, which allows Beartic to wear them down. Taunt also allows Beartic to use its coverage more effectively against stall teams, as it can wear down these teams as Beartic absorbs their relatively weak hits well due to its bulk. However, Aqua Jet also has its uses as it is Beartic's only priority option, allowing it to pick off weakened foes despite its low Speed stat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs maximize Beatic's Attack while ensuring it outspeeds uninvested base 75s (notably Garbodor). A fully offensive 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread is also viable, while more EVs can also be put into HP instead of Speed if one desires a bulkier spread. If the latter route is taken, 84 Speed EVs allows Beartic to outrun and Taunt base 60s, such as Tangela and Weezing, while 124 Speed EVs lets it outspeed and do the same to base 65s such as Alomomola. While a Life Orb is generally the preferable item choice, Choice Band is an option if using Aqua Jet, as the increased power can be useful.</p>

<p>Beartic's weakness to Stealth Rock is very debilitating, so it is good to pair it with a Rapid Spin user. Due to Beartic being Because Beartic is more of an offensive Pokemon, Armaldo is a good partner, as it is the only offensive spinner in NU. However, Torkoal is also an option to use Rapid Spin, as it resists Fire-type moves aimed at Beartic and has enough physical bulk to take on most Fighting-types. On the subject of Fighting-types, Golurk's and Misdreavus's immunity to their STAB attacks make them good options to take them on, while Weezing's resistance to their STAB and access to Will-O-Wisp makes it an effective answer as well. As Beartic deals with Grass-types well, offensive Grass- and Water-types, such as Torterra and Ludicolo, make good partners, because Beartic can take out Pokemon they would otherwise struggle against such as Tangela and Amoonguss. Moreover, Beartic's Swift Swim ability means it can provide a vital role on Rain Dance teams to take down Grass-types to pave the way for another Pokemon like Floatzel to spam rain-boosted Water-type attacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As with any SubPunch set, the goal is to set up a Substitute on a Pokemon that Beartic can scare out off, and then use Focus Punch. Despite the lack of STAB, it is still Beartic's most powerful move and hits very hard. Because all the common Pokemon in NU are hit neutrally or better by the combination of Focus Punch and Icicle Crash, Toxic is preferred in the fourth slot to mess up walls like Alomomola, which have high enough bulk to take the other moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allow Beartic to outspeed uninvested base 60s. Notable Pokemon in that speed tier are Tangela and Weezing, and this spread allows Beartic to set up a Substitute before they make it fall asleep or burn it, respectively. However, the EVs are once again customizable to outspeed certain Pokemon, such as 124 Speed EVs for Alomomola. Be warned, however, that this set prefers more bulk than the All-Out Attacker. Leftovers allow it to make more Substitutes than it usually could, as it makes up for the damage lost from the Substitute to a degree.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin users, such as Armaldo and Torkoal, are still useful for their ability to get rid of Stealth Rock. This is important because Stealth Rock takes a hefty 25% of Beartic's health away, greatly inhibiting its ability to set up Substitutes. Pokemon such as Golurk and Weezing are useful for this set because of their ability to take down Fighting-type Pokemon that Beartic struggles with. Offensive Grass-types, such as Leafeon and Torterra, make good partners as well—both can hit Alomomola hard with their Grass-type STABs, while Beartic can defeat Tangela and Amoonguss for them.</p>

<p>A huge threat to this set is Cinccino, as its Skill Link Rock Blast can break Beartic's Substitute and KO it on the same turn. Due to this, Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Choice Scarf Sawk are good team options due to their ability to counter or revenge kill Cinccino. Moreover, while Beartic can deal with most Ghost-types somewhat well, Beartic would love to just use Focus Punch, so Dark-types, such as Skuntank and Absol, make good partners as well to trap and remove them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Beartic has a decent support movepool including useful moves such as Yawn, Roar, and Encore. However, Beatic's defensive typing is bad, so pulling off a support set is rather difficult. Beartic also has access to Rain Dance, although it usually is better off if a teammate can set it up, because it needs all the moveslots it can get. Beartic's other ability, Snow Cloak, can be useful in hail, but hail is never seen within NU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The easiest way to take down Beartic is to take advantage of its Ice-type weaknesses the weaknesses its Ice typing brings. Fighting-types, such as Sawk, Emboar, Gurdurr, and Throh, easily destroy Beartic with their powerful STAB moves. Sawk is also always faster than Beartic, while Emboar can switch in with little worry thanks to resisting Icicle Crash. In general, physical walls like Alomomola, Misdreavus, and Weezing can take on Beartic well. Although they must be wary of Taunt, even when afflicted they can still hit back and slowly wear Beartic down. Cinccino cannot switch in easily, but it OHKOs Bearic with Rock Blast, even if it is behind a Substitute. Armaldo has STAB Rock-type moves to defeat Beartic as well, along with decent bulk to take on a Stone Edge if necessary.</p>

<p>Regirock needs to be wary of Fighting-type moves, but its massive bulk and Rock STAB makes it a solid answer to Beartic. Although not particularly common, Frillish and Lampent resist Beartic's Ice STAB and Fighting moves, and both can also burn Beartic, crippling it for the rest of the match. Setting Stealth Rock up makes Beartic easier to revenge kill. For example, after Stealth Rock damage, Pinsir is able to OHKO with Close Combat.</p>

Use "like" when you're using generic, non-specific examples, otherwise use "such as" preceded by a comma to list specific examples. "Like" denotes similarity and inspecificity, while "such as" notes concrete examples. We generally use "such as" in most cases because we generally give concrete examples. When using "such as" though you have to separate the clause by commas: 'Grass-types, such as Shaymin and Roserade, are blah blah.' The exception to using a comma with "such as" is when there isn't a sufficient clause following or preceding the listed examples. So for example, if you're ending the sentence with examples: 'Shaymin hates enemy Grass-types such as Roserade.'
[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)