Seismitoad GP (2/2)

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lets get this vibrating started!

Seismitoad

[Overview]

<p>Seismitoad has always lurked in the shadows, outshined by its Water-type brethren. Thankfully, Seismitoad's Dream World ability, Water Absorb, along with the BW tutors gives it a new lease on life. Instead of resorting to Leftovers and RestTalk for recovery, Seismitoad can now use Water Absorb, granting it 25% recovery when hit by a Water-type attack. Notable attacks that have been given to Seismitoad include Stealth Rock, Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Drain Punch.</P>

<p>Seismitoad is a unique Swift Swim sweeper and bulky Water-type that occupies a niche which shared with only Cradily: an immunity to Water-type attacks as well as access to Stealth Rock. On a rain team, Seismitoad can be a support Pokemon with Stealth Rock and a sweeper with Swift Swim; in addition, Seismitoad can be an excellent pivot with its 105 / 75 / 75 defenses, Water Absorb, and Water / Ground typing. However, all is not well for Seismitoad; its 4x weakness to Grass-type attacks is exacerbated by the plethora of Grass-type Pokemon in NU, and it's not even the strongest Water-type sweeper; fFor example, Gorebyss and Ludicolo are more powerful standalone Swift Swim sweepers. However, play to Seismitoad's strengths, take advantage of its immunities, and you won't be disappointed.</p>

[SET]
name: Swift Swim Sweeper
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Stealth Rock / Sludge Wave
item: Life Orb / Damp Rock
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Swift Swim and is Seismitoad's best chance to sweep. Courtesy of its typing, Seismitoad is immune to Electric-type attacks, notably Volt Switch and Thunder Wave, which gives it a niche as a Swift Swim sweeper; when used on a full rain team, this immunity becomes invaluable. Rain Dance doubles Seismitoad's Speed and powers up its STAB Water-type attacks, while the debate between Hydro Pump and Surf comes down to the age old question of power versus reliability; as Seismitoad lacks the sheer power of other Water-type sweepers, Hydro Pump allows it to hit as hard as it can but Surf can be used instead if accuracy is an issue. Earth Power serves as Seismitoad's other STAB and hits many of the Pokemon that resist its Water-type attacks hard, especially the plethora of NU Pokemon with a Grass / Poison typing. The last moveslot depends on your team's needs. Stealth Rock allows Seismitoad to fulfill its unique niche as both a sweeper and supporter, and helps break down common checks to rain teams such as Mantine. Be that as it may, if Stealth Rock is already set by another Pokemon, then Sludge Wave can be used, letting Seismitoad damage pure Grass-types more effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given nature and EV spread allow Seismitoad to hit as hard as possible. With 160 Speed EVs, Seismitoad can outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-S after Swift Swim. Life Orb is the preferred option because Seismitoad wants to do as much damage as it can, but Damp Rock is a viable choice to lengthen the duration of Rain Dance, which allows Seismitoad to be an excellent support sweeper. Seismitoad can also use Hidden Power Ice instead of another move to hit Altaria, which otherwise walls this set. Grass / Poison type Pokemon are the biggest counters to Seismitoad, as they aren't hit hard by either Earth Power or Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is a superb counter to Seismitoad, as it takes little damage from any of Seismitoad's attacks and has Giga Drain to OHKO Seismitoad; moreover, the prospect of Spore threatens Seismitoad and fellow teammates. Besides Grass-types, Seismitoad has a hard time taking down bulky Water-types as well as dedicated special walls that can tank Seismitoad’s onslaught and cripple it; Lickilicky easily absorbs attacks and can respond by setting up a Wish, phazing with Dragon Tail, or using Swords Dance, while Audino can switch into any attack, set a Wish up, or cripple Seismitoad with Toxic.</p>

<p>Articuno is an excellent partner for Seismitoad, as it resists Grass-types attacks and can wreak havoc with STAB Ice Beam and Hurricane, which has perfect accuracy in the rain. Ludicolo is a great rain partner for Seismitoad, capable of damaging the Grass-type Pokemon that spell trouble for Seismitoad. In general, Seismitoad has excellent synergy with Grass-types, since they resist Seismitoad’s only weakness. Amoonguss is an exceptional partner for Seismitoad, especially in the rain; its Fire-type weakness is neutralized under rain, STAB on Poison-type attacks helps it deal with troublesome Grass-type Pokemon, and, with Spore and Regenerator, Amoonguss can switch in many times. Fellow Water-type sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, also work well with Seismitoad, weakening the opponent's team for each other.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Toad
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Scald
move 4: Knock Off / Toxic
item: Leftovers / Rindo Berry
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With both Water Absorb and Stealth Rock, Seismitoad can act as a decent tank, with its Water / Ground typing allowing it to take most special attacks well. Seismitoad can also be a good lead, thanks to its access to Stealth Rock and ability to attack opposing leads with Scald if needed. Earth Power takes advantage of STAB and allows Seismitoad to hit many of the Pokemon that resist Scald for more damage. Knock Off serves to destabilize opposing Pokemon, ridding them of essential items, such as Evolite, Leftovers, and Choice items. Seismitoad can also utilize Toxic to cripple bulky Pokemon; however, Pokemon with a Grass / Poison typing are immune to Toxic and will often be the ones that will switch in on Seismitoad.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature can be used for physically defensive variants. Leftovers is the recommended item because the passive recovery helps maintain Seismitoad’s bulk. However, Rindo Berry is also a viable option, allowing Seismitoad to survive most non-STAB Grass-type attacks, such as Grass Knot from Samurott and Eelektross as well as Hidden Power Grass from Charizard. Seismitoad is also a good check to opposing Water-type sweepers that lack a Grass-type attack; however, it cannot do much damage back. Thanks to its typing, Seismitoad is a good counter to Volt Switch users that lack a Grass-type attack, such as Zebstrika, Probopass, and Rotom-S. If using the physically defensive EV spread, then Seismitoad can check Samurott and Carracosta as long as they lack a Grass-type attack or it has a Rindo Berry equipped.</p>

<p>The preferred partners to Seismitoad should either resist or be immune to Grass-type attacks, especially if Seismitoad is using Leftovers rather than Rindo Berry. Articuno is a great partner creating excellent synergy with Seismitoad; it can take Grass-type attacks all day and threaten opposing Pokemon with both Ice Beam and Hurricane. Physically defensive Amoonguss has access to Spore and has exceptional synergy with Seismitoad as well. Pokemon with Sap Sipper are also great partners, due to their immunity to Grass-type attacks. On a more offensive team, Sawsbuck is an excellent choice, threatening the opponent's team after an Attack Boost, while Miltank is a great choice on a more defensive one; it can switch in and start attacking at +1, or cure status with Heal Bell. As Seismitoad has trouble with status—mainly poison—a cleric is very beneficial; the aforementioned Miltank works well, as does Vileplume with its 4x resistance to Grass-type attacks. Seismitoad lacks reliable recovery even with Water Absorb and Leftovers, so a Wish user is recommended; Flareon is an excellent partner in this regard as it also threatens every Grass-type Pokemon in the tier except Ludicolo.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seismitoad can utilize RestTalk, but, due to the sleep mechanics, it is a risky choice. Seismitoad can use Poison Touch as its ability to give it a chance to poison the enemy on contact, but it is not as helpful as Swift Swim or Water Absorb. Grass Knot is available to hit opposing Water-types, but it won't see much use other than that. Seismitoad has an extensive physical movepool, but a physical set doesn't have many hard-hitting options and lacks Water-type attacks, while a mixed set doesn't hit hard enough, even with Earthquake. Alternatively, Seismitoad has Ice Punch to hit Altaria and opposing Grass-types hard. Drain Punch also deserves a mention, providing a way to hit the various Normal-type Pokemon in NU and restore health simultaneously.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned previously, Grass-type Pokemon are excellent counters to Seismitoad because they resist Seismitoad’s STABs and can retaliate with a STAB Grass-type attack. Even with Rindo Berry, a STAB Grass-type attack will heavily damage Seismitoad, although pure Grass-types need to be wary of Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is the best counter to Seismitoad, because it can either incapacitate it with Spore or OHKO through Rindo Berry with Giga Drain, while Seismitoad’s attacks won't deal much at all. Despite the fact that Seismitoad can hit Ludicolo with Sludge Wave or Toxic, Ludicolo is an adept counter to Seismitoad, both in and out of rain; in rain, Ludicolo can outspeed and OHKO with a STAB Grass-type attack, while Ludicolo can switch in, set up a Substitute, and either use Leech Seed or simply OHKO with Giga Drain outside of it. If Cradily avoids Toxic, then it can boost its Special Attack with Storm Drain or KO Seismitoad with its STAB Grass-type attacks. With immunity to Water-type attacks, Dry Skin Parasect can switch in on Seismitoad and threaten it with Spore or a STAB Grass-type attack. Special walls, such as Lickilicky, Audino, and Musharna can come in on Seismitoad and tank its hits while wearing Seismitoad down. Altaria resists Seismitoad’s Water-type STAB and is immune to Earth Power, but has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch. In a similar vein, Dragonair is a good counter because of its bulk and typing; even Hidden Power Ice and Ice Punch won’t be doing much damage because of Dragonair’s Eviolite-boosted defenses. Barring Knock Off, Seismitoad has no way to stop Dragonair. Faster Taunt users are a nuisance because they disrupt Seismitoad’s job—either setting up Rain Dance or Stealth Rock—but nothing with Taunt will appreciate taking a Hydro Pump to the face or getting burned by Scald.</p>

Shouldn't Sludge Bomb be the main option on both sets over Sludge Wave? The 5 BP difference doesn't seem like enough of a perk to give up the higher poison chance.

Also the first set should run Relaxed or something over Impish... you don't want to weaken your Scalds.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used SR Seismitoad myself, I must ask what the "balanced" EV spread does? Does it survive any hits it couldn't?

If not, you should just change it to mention a fully specially defensive EV spread. It should be in there anyways.

Also, if you're gonna make Earthquake the first slash over Earth Power, add a Relaxed nature as the first slash, and remove Impish for Bold as the second one. Impish lowers Special Attack, and Scald, Earth Power, and Sludge Wave/Bomb are special moves.

Also, in the Overview, you say Alomomola is a better "wall" than Seismitoad because of Wish. Well, that's not really true, as you can't really compare the two at all. Seismitoad has Stealth Rock; Alomomola passes Wishes. They fill different roles.

It's [Checks and Counters], not [COUNTERS]. You also need to add an ability: tag to the second set with Swift Swim as the ability.

That's all I have to say for now at least. You could a bit more information in the various areas, even if it is a skeleton.

I'd make Rain Dance the first set. Seismitoad is a very potent sweeper and I'm surprised it isn't used more, and it's definitely not outclassed in any sense. Also, slash Damp Rock in with Life Orb for the extra rain duration. It's also usually more useful if you're using Seismitoad on a full rain team.

Change the defensive set to

[SET]
item: Rindo Berry / Leftovers

Seismitoad's typing is more suited for tanking special attacks in this meta. Rindo Berry is incredibly useful with all of the Grass-type attacks in the tier such as Grass Knot from both Samurott and Eelektross (don't expect it to tank stuff like Amoonguss' Giga Drain, though.). Leftovers is useful for the passive recovery, but imo, being able to actually tank certain Grass-type attacks is more useful and gives Seismitoad more utility. I'm not sure what Earthquake has over Earth Power on Seismitoad, especially in a more physically-inclined meta. Also, this set is so much different from Alomomola. You can't compare the two. I'd also like to see more information in the set comments, such as what Seismitoad checks. (Such as SD Samurott, Probopass, Eelektross, Charizard, etc.)

The current checks and counters section is inadequate; you need more than just that. I'll comment more on this tomorrow.

ps: add (qc 0/3) into the topic title

What's the point of using Rindo Berry here? You can't do anything back to Special Samurott or Eelectross besides Toxic them, and even then you're better off switching to a harder counter.

I've seen both Physical and Special defensive in this metagame. Both of them have their benefits, so the defensive spread should be mentioned in the AC. However, I do agree with DTC that the defensive set should definitely not be mixed.

For teammates, I've seen Bulky Seismitoed paired with Sap Sipper Miltank, and it actually is a pretty potent combination (Cincinno Bullet Seed or Ammonguss Spore to Miltank means +1 Attack). Definitely worth mentioning it as a teammate here.

Rindo Berry is useful for all of the Grass-type attacks in the tier. It's also very useful for tanking random Hidden Power Grass which are pretty common from various Pokemon such as Charizard. Eelektross and Samurott were just examples but Seismitoad can kill them if they're weakened, and it's nice being able to switch into a Specs Grass Knot and not die and switch to a Pokemon that hardly takes anything from it.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the subject of Rindo Berry, I don't see why this is necessary if you just pack good Grass-resists on your team. I don't think it has any more merit than it would on Swampert in UU, who has to put up with random Hidden Power Grass all the time. Imo Leftovers should be the standard choice, and Rindo Berry can be AC if you lack a Grass-resist (Amoonguss!) for some reason.

You should probably mention that Seismitoad has the advantage of being immune to Volt Switch and Thunder Wave in particular, which is pretty unique in the tier for sweepers, other than Rock Polish Torterra. This comes in really handy when facing Probopass, Rotom-S, and Zebstrika, if they don't pack HP Grass.

Also, Articuno needs to be mentioned as a teammate. They have perfect offensive (Ice / Ground + Water / Flying) synergy when you're using offensive sets, and Rain Dance buffs Articuno's Hurricane. They have perfect defensive synergy, with Articuno taking on Grass types all day, and Seismitoad can switch into Fire, Electric, Rock and Steel type attacks with ease. Stealth Rock is bleh, but Seismitoad deals with most hazard setters so the problem's as mitigated as it's going to get in this tier. I've used the offensive combo extensively and it's really awesome.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Gotta fix this before I go to work...

Fixed the OP.

• Removed comparison between Alomomola
  • Switched the sets around with Swift Swim set being first
  • Highlighted that its immune to Thunder Wave and Volt Switch, and only Torterra shares this.
  • Slashed in Damp Rock, and why. Also, included that it would be good in a full Rain team.
  • Highlighted Articuno in both the Swift Swim and Tank set, and why.
  • Remade the tank set with Specially Defensive as the main option, and physically defensive in AC.
  • Rindo Berry merits explained on the Tank set.
  • Elaborated more for partners of the Tank set, included: Articuno, Sap Sippers, and Wish Passers.
  • Elaborated more on the CC section.

Well I played a lot with Seismitoad earlier in the new meta and I have to say my favourite set was:

name: Swift Toad
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Damp Rock

The reason I use this is because people tend to assume that Seismitoad is a sweeper, and immediately go to something that can absorb its rain boosted hydro pumps. This allows Seismitoad to be a very good stealth rocker mid game, for teams that dont want to invest in a Carracosta or Probopass. Seismitoad has the stats to be able to pull off both moves in one set, since he has respectable bulk even without a lot of investment. Sludge Wave is a nice move, but it really only hits a few Pokemon. So I think Stealth Rock should be added to that set as a slash.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I actually like SR on rain Seismitoad, since most rain teams really struggle to fit SR in anywhere on the team. The trouble is, though, that you're giving up coverage entirely on Grass-types which is fairly annoying. Sludge Wave / SR sounds like the way to go with that slash, since HP Ice is really only useful for Altaria (and Amoonguss, but you're not hitting much harder than EP will anyway).

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I've really enjoyed using Stealth Rock on Rain Dance Seismitoad too. Mostly because I lacked another hazards setter, but whatever, it did the job pretty well. It's a great anti-lead in general, as it beats stuff like Golem, Armaldo and Probopass with ease, while Rain Dance can be used to threaten sweepers. Sludge Wave isn't that great either, only really hitting Tangela, Exeggutor, Ludicolo and Cacturne for decent damage. I think Stealth Rock deserves an AC mention for sure, maybe even a slash (although three slashes isn't pretty)

Ok im going to request that the moveset for the Rain toed be the following:

name: Swift Toad
item: Damp Rock / Life Orb

I think Stealth Rock should be the main slash over Sludge Wave for the following reasons:

• Seismitoad should be used on a rain team and not as a standalone sweeper. If it is on a rain team then I will assume you have two other swift swim sweepers. Most likely Mantine and Ludicolo. Both of them are able to take out grass types with ease.
  • Because Seismitoads offensive stats arent that great it needs to find a way to standout from other sweepers. Stealth Rock gives it a niche that other Rain Sweepers do not have.
  • Rain Teams struggle to find room for a Stealth Rock mon without giving away an entire slot just for it. Seismitoad fixes that problem by being a supporter and sweeper in one.

So because the grass types should be handled by your other sweepers. And if you want a standalone rain mon you should use Ludicolo. Seismitoad is more of a support rain mon that can also sweep.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Stealth Rock over Sludge Wave on Seismitoad seems like a wonderful idea for rain teams. Even with Sludge Wave, Seismitoad is not breaking through the most popular Grass-type in the tier—Amoonguss. Stealth Rock helps rain sweepers such as Ludicolo get the 2HKO on Lickilicky even if it spams Protect and gives rain checks such as Mantine and Rotom-S a hard time.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's what I changed

• Slashed Stealth Rock before Sludge Wave, and put Hidden Power Ice is AC for the Swift Swim set.
  • Explained the significance of Stealth Rock on Swift Swim 'Toad. Also, said that it helps to break rain checks.
  • In Swift Toad AC added that Toad is more a support sweeper and not a standalone sweeper. Also added this to the [Overview] section.

Thanks for helping!

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

• "In a tier where there are a lot of Grass-type Pokemon" I think you missed something here.
  • Combine the Water Absorb and no recovery points, they link well together now that Seismitoed has something other than Leftovers
Swfit Toad: (I don't particularly like this name, but its of little importance)
[SET COMMENTS]

• Your last two bullet points belong in [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS], being discussion of EVs and counters.
  • Be sure in the write up to explain the moves in a logical order. This is much easier if here you have the bullets reorganised so it reads: Rain Dance, Hydro Pump / Surf, Earth Power, then a discussion on Stealth Rock vs Sludge Wave. You have all the relevant information, you just need to reorder it.
  • Eh, Golurk and Camerupt can also sweep with Rock Polish, so I'm not so sure about being "the only other sweeper". Just reword this to say its Ground typing is a good niche
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Move the two bullets from above to the top of this sections
  • You really should mention Ludicolo here as a partner, as it is excellent on Rain teams.
  • You mention "Gorby", I know this is a skeleton but be sure to always use Gorebyss etc in the full write up
  • Explicity mention Amoonguss as a partner, removing its Fire weakness with Rain Dance is fun.
  • I would like to see some general expansion on the teammates here, as well as specfic counters (Audino, Amoonguss, other Special walls etc)
Bulky Toad:
[SET COMMENTS]

• You say this is the "standard" yet it is listed second. Either list this set first, or remove the standard comment, the choice is up to you. I personally think this set is in the correct place, this comment just needs to be removed
  • All points below Sludge Bomb need to moved to [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• When you are listing all the things it can check, be sure to make clear Seismitoad is indeed just a check, as a lot of them often carry HP Grass or similar. Still useful for the double immunities though.
  • Mention some sort of advantage the physically defensive spread has (checking Samurott better, and Carracosta)
  • Also mention Sawsbuck and Amoonguss in teammates.
  • When talking about Amoonguss, also note it hard counters this set.
  • Alomomola is not an ideal teammate with the doubling up of weaknesses, so remove that.
[Other Options] (This needs to be lower cased, ADDITIONAL COMMENTS abve are in upper case, as are SET COMMENTS)

• Mention big physical movepool with Earthquake etc.
  • Grass Knot is a cool move to let it damage other Water-types more easily
[Checks and Counters]

• Mention Dragonair setting up all over it
  • Ludicolo beats anything without Sludge Wave
  • Just flesh this section out as much as possible
Just a few points from me! I know it looks like a lot but most is just me be ultra pedantic, once this is done it should be close to approvals.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
  • Cleaned the Overview section a bit
  • Changed the name to 'Swift Swim Sweepee to please Django:nerd:
  • Reordered [set comments]
  • Reworded the Ground-typing niche
  • Mentioned Ludicolo and Amoonguss
  • Expanded the counters section
  • Tried to include what Django said.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Django Raserihart said basically everything that I was going to. Also mention that Taunt shuts down both sets, although most Taunt users aren't going to appreciate eating a Hydro Pump to the face (the only thing that I can think of that could do it is special Samurott).

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
I am not Raseri :<

Anyway QC Approve 1/3
I can't believe I did that :evan:

Mentioned Taunt-users in the CC section.

Edit:

100th post!!!

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Written up, be gentle please. I'm not much of a writer. =]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Finally, something I can GP without YOU sniping it!
Amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Seismitoad has always lurked behind the scenes, overshadowed by and was overlooked for its Water-type brethren. Seismitoad’s new Dream World ability, Water Absorb, along with the BW2 tutors, gives the tadpole a new lease on life. Prior to the BW2 changes, Seismitoad had Leftovers and the unreliable ResTalk for recovery. Now Seismitoad has Water Absorb, which grants it 25% recovery when hit by a Water-type attack, and it is further healed by Leftovers. The notable BW2 changes that were rewarded to Seismitoad include Stealth Rock, Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Drain Punch.</P>

<p>Seismitoad is a unique Swift Swim sweeper, (RC) and bulky Water-type. Seismitoad occupies a niche which is shared with only Cradily; an immunity to Water-type attacks and access to Stealth Rocks. On a rain team, Seismitoad can be a support Pokemon with Stealth Rock and a sweeper with Swift Swim. In addition, Seismitoad can be an excellent pivot with 105 / 75 / 75 defenses, Water Absorb, and its Water/Ground typing. However, all is not well for the grown toad. Its 4x weakness to Grass-type attacks can be exploited in NU, where there is a plethora of Grass-type Pokemon. Not only does Seismitoad’s weakness hinder its tanking ability, it isn’t the strongest Water-type sweeper. For example, Gorebyss and Ludicolo are more powerful standalone Swift Swim sweepers. However, play to Seismitoad’s strengths and use its immunities and you won’t be disappointed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Swift Swim, and is Seismitoad’s best chance at sweeping. Courtesy of its typing, Seismitoad is immune to Electric-type attacks, notably Volt Switch and Thunder Wave, which gives it a niche as a sweeper. In addition, when used with a full rain team, having an electric immunity is invaluable. Rain Dance doubles Seismitoad’s speed, and powers up its STAB Water-type attacks. With Rain Dance, Seismitoad can support the team and itself. The debate between Hydro Pump and Surf is the age old question of power versus reliability. Since Seismitoad lacks the sheer power of other Water-type sweepers, Hydro Pump allows it to hit as hard as it can; however, if the accuracy is an issue, then Surf can be used. Earth Power allows Seismitoad to use its other STAB, (RC) and hits the Pokemon who resist its the Water-type attacks STAB. In addition, Earth Power allows Seismitoad to hit the many Grass/Posion Pokemon in the NU tier neutrally. The last moveslot is decided by the team requirements. If using Stealth Rock, Seismitoad can fulfill its unique niche of being a sweeper and supporter. In addition, Stealth Rock helps to break down common rain checks such as Mantine. However, if Stealth Rock is already set by another Pokemon, then Sludge Wave can be used. With Sludge Wave, Seismitoad can damage Grass-types more effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With a Modest nature and the given EV spread, allows Seismitoad can hit as hard it can. Additionally, with 160 Speed EVs Seismitoad can outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Life Orb is the preferred option because Seismitoad wants to do as much damage as it can; however, Damp Rock is a viable choice to lengthen the duration of Rain Dance. When equipped with Damp Rock, Seismitoad is an excellent addition to a full Rain Dance team. However, Seismitoad should be used as a support sweeper, because of its difficulty with Grass-type Pokemon. Seismitoad can also utilize Hidden Power Ice, (RC) to hit Altaria, who otherwise resists this set. Grass-, (RC) and Poison-type Pokemon are the biggest counters to Seismitoad. They are hit neutrally with even Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is a superb counter to Seismitoad because it has Giga Drain to OHKO Seismitoad while healing itself. Also, the threat of Spore threatens Seismitoad and fellow teammates. In addition, (RC) to Grass-types, Seismitoad has a hard time taking down bulky waters. Dedicated special walls can tank Seismitoad’s onslaught and cripple it back. Lickilicky tanks the attacks and can respond by setting up a Wish, phaze with Dragon Tail, or use a Swords Dance. In addition, Audino can switch in, and set a Wish up, and cripple Seismitoad with Toxic. Articuno is an excellent partner with Seismitoad because it resists Grass-types attacks, and moreover can wreak havoc with STAB Ice Beam and Hurricane in the rain. Ludicolo is an excellent rain partner for Seismitoad, because it has a way to hit the Grass-types, who are trouble for Seismitoad. In general, Seismitoad has excellent synergy with Grass-types, since they resist Seismitoad’s weakness. Amoonguss is an exceptional partner for Seismitoad, especially in the rain. With Rain Dance in effect, Amoonguss’s Fire-type weakness is neutralized, and with Spore and Regenerator Amoonguss can switch in and out many times. Additionally, Amoonguss’s Poison-type STAB helps to deal with troublesome Grass-types. Fellow Water-type sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, appreciate Seismitoad weakening the opponent’s team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Seismitoad received many gifts from BW2. With the newly acquired Water Absorb and Stealth Rock, Seismitoad is now a decent tank. The Water- and Grass-typing allows Seismitoad to tank special attacks, rather than physical ones. Seismitoad can also be a good lead because of its access to Stealth Rock, and can attack the opposing lead with Scald if needed. Earth Power takes advantage of STAB and allows Seismitoad to hit Pokemon who resist Scald. Knock Off serves to destabilize the opposing Pokemon, ridding them of their essential items, such as Evolite, Leftovers, and Choice items. Seimitoad can also utilize Toxic to cripple bulky Pokemon; however, Grass- and Poison-type Pokemon will be the ones that will switch into Seismitoad, and are immune to Toxic.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternate EV spread is a physically defensive one: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature. Seismitoad can also run 60 Speed EVs to outspeed Choice Band Emboar. Leftovers are the recommended item, because the passive recovery helps maintain Seismitoad’s bulk. Rindo Berry is also a viable option, as it allows Seismitoad to check many Pokemon in the tier that lacks a Grass-type attack and even then can survive non-STAB Grass-type attacks from such Pokemon, such as Grass Knot from Samurott and Eelektross and Hidden Power Grass from Charizard. Seismitoad is also a good check to opposing water sweepers that lack a Grass-type attack; however, Seismitoad cannot do much damage back. Courtesy of its typing, Seismitoad is a good counter to Volt Switch users that lack a Grass-type attack, such as Zebstrika, Probopass, and Rotom-S. In addition, if using the physically defensive EV spread, then Seismitoad can check Samurott and Carracosta; however, they can bypass Seismitoad with a Grass-type attack, but that weakness can be mitigated with Rindo Berry. The preferred partners to Seismitoad should resist or be immune to Grass-type attacks, especially if Seismitoad is using Leftovers rather than Rindo Berry. Articuno is a great partner because the offensive and defensive synergy between the two is great. Articuno can take Grass-type attacks all day, bar Spore, and threatens with a STAB Ice Beam or Hurricane. Pokemon with the Sap Sipper ability are also great partners, because of their immunity to any Grass-type attack. On a more offensive oriented team, Sawsbuck is an excellent choice because it can threaten the opposing team with a +1 Attack boost. On a more defensive team, Miltank is a great choice; it can switch in and start attacking at +1, (RC) or heal the team with Heal Bell. Seismitoad has trouble with status, predominately poison; therefore, a cleric would be most beneficial. A cleric that can capitalize on Grass-type attacks are the best partners. The aforementioned Miltank works well with Sap Sipper, and Vileplume also works well because of its 4x resistance to Grass-type attacks. Physically defensive Amoonguss is an excellent partner for Seismitoad because of the synergy between the two, (RC) and can threaten the opposing team with Spore. Even with Water Absorb and Leftovers, Seismitoad lacks reliable recovery, so a Wish passer would be recommended. Flareon is an excellent partner with Wish, as it resists Grass-type attacks, (RC) and threatens opposing Grass-type Pokemon with its STAB Fire-type attacks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seismitoad can utilize ResTalk, but with the new sleep mechanics it becomes a risky choice. Seismitoad also has access to the Poison Touch ability, which has a chance to poison the enemy on contact; however, it is not as helpful as Swift Swim or Water Absorb. The option of using Grass Knot is available to hit opposing Water-types, but more Grass-type Pokemon will switch in on Seismitoad most of the time. Seismitoad has an extensive physical movepool, but lacks the power to reasonable damage, and it doesn’t have a viable physical Water-type STAB. Seismitoad has access to Earthquake, which does acceptable damage. Alternatively, Seismitoad has Ice Punch to hit Altaria and opposing Grass-types super effectively. In addition, Drain Punch deserves a mention because it hits the various Normal-type Pokemon in NU, and is another way to recover health.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned previously, Grass-type Pokemon are excellent counters to Seismitoad, because they resist Seismitoad’s STABs, (RC) and can retaliate with a STAB Grass-type attack, which can, in many instances, OHKO through Rindo Berry; however, pure Grass-type Pokemon should avoid Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is the best counter to Seismitoad, because it can use Spore, or simply go through Rindo Berry and OHKO through Rindo Berry with Giga Drain, while Seismitoad’s attacks won’t be denting the mushroom. Although Seismitoad can hit Ludicolo with Sludge Wave or Toxic, Ludicolo is an adept counter to Seismitoad, in or out of rain. In rain, Ludicolo can outspeed and OHKO with a STAB Grass-type attack. Outside of rain, Ludicolo can switch in and set up a Substistute, use Leech Seed, or simply OHKO with Giga Drain. If Cradily avoids Sludge Wave or Toxic, then it can boost its Special Attack with Storm Drain, (RC) or KO with its STAB Grass-type attacks. With an immunity to Water-type attacks, Parasect with Dry Skin can switch in on Seismitoad and threaten with a Spore or STAB Grass-type attack. Special walls, such as Lickilicky, Audino, and Musharna, (AC) can come in on Seismitoad and tank the hits, (RC) while wearing Seismitoad down. Altaria resists Seismitoad’s Water-type STAB and is immune to the Earth Power, but Altaria does have to watch out for Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch. In a similar vein, Dragonair is a good counter because of its bulk and typing. Even Hidden Power Ice and Ice Punch won’t be doing much damage because of Dragonair’s bulk and it can set up Dragon Dances. However, it does have to watch out for Knock Off, as it can rid of Dragonair’s Evolite. Faster Taunt users are a nuisance because they interrupt Seismitoad’s job, either to set up Rain Dance or Stealth Rock. However, most Taunt users do have to watch out for Hydro Pump and burns from Scald.</p>

Something to remember for the future:

• Use "switch-in" when referring to a Pokemon that often switches in on another (Scizor is a common switch-in to Latias.).
  • Do not use a hyphen when using "switch in" as a verb (Gyarados can switch in on Mamoswine.).
Also, some of your sentences in the beginning half of the article sounded a bit choppy and short. In the end, these were a lot better, so I know you can smooth some of them out. I'll leave the changing of the prose up to you, however.

Great writing. I don't know many unmodded people that can GP and write analyses well at the same time.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the complement Gato!
Its always hard for me to when to use the hyphen or not.

Implemented most of it!

Amateur GP check, go! Nobody's told me I'm doing it wrong, so I assume these have been helpful.

Remove
Add
(Comment)

Lets get this vibrating started!

Seismitoad

[Overview]

<p>Seismitoad has always lurked in the shadows, overshadowed by it Water-type brethren. Thankfully, Seismitoad’s new Dream World ability, Water Absorb, along with the BW2 tutors, gives the tadpole a new lease on life. Prior to the BW2 changes, Seismitoad had Leftovers and the unreliable ResTalk for recovery. Now Seismitoad has Water Absorb, which grants it 25% recovery when hit by a Water-type attack, and it is further healed by Leftovers. The notable BW2 changes that were rewarded to Seismitoad include: Stealth Rock, Ice Punch, Knock Off, and Drain Punch.</P>

<p>Seismitoad is a unique Swift Swim sweeper and bulky Water-type. Seismitoad , who occupies a niche which is shared with only Cradily; an immunity to Water-type attacks and access to Stealth Rocks. On a rain team, Seismitoad can be a support Pokemon with Stealth Rock and a sweeper with Swift Swim. In addition, Seismitoad can be an excellent pivot with 105 / 75 / 75 defenses, Water Absorb, and its Water / Ground-typing. However, all is not well for the grown toad. Its 4x weakness to Grass-type attacks can be easily exploited in NU, where there is a plethora of Grass-type Pokemon. Not only does Seismitoad’s weakness hinder its tanking ability, it isn’t the strongest Water-type sweeper. (This sentence doesn't make much sense to me. What does its weakness to grass have to do with it not being the strongest Water-type sweeper? The sentence is also kind of choppy) For example, Gorebyss and Ludicolo are more powerful standalone Swift Swim sweepers. However, play to Seismitoad’s strengths and use its immunities and you won’t be disappointed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Swift Swim, and is Seismitoad’s best chance at sweeping. Courtesy of its typing, Seismitoad is immune to Electric-type attacks, notably Volt Switch and Thunder Wave, which gives it a niche as a sweeper. In addition, when used with a full rain team, having an electric immunity is invaluable. Rain Dance doubles Seismitoad’s speed, and powers up its STAB Water-type attacks. With Rain Dance, Seismitoad can support the team and itself. The debate between Hydro Pump and Surf is the age old question of power versus reliability. Since Seismitoad lacks the sheer power of other Water-type sweepers, Hydro Pump allows it to hit as hard as it can; however, if the accuracy is an issue, (I believe that was an unnecessary comma) then Surf can be used. Earth Power allows Seismitoad to use its other STAB, and hits the Pokemon who resist its Water-type attacks. In addition, Earth Power allows Seismitoad to hit the many Grass / Posion Pokemon in the NU tier neutrally. The last moveslot is decided by the team requirements. If using Stealth Rock, Seismitoad can fulfill its unique niche of being a sweeper and supporter. In addition Furthermore, Stealth Rock helps to break down common rain checks such as Mantine. However Be that as it may (you're repeating "however" and "in addition" more than you need to, but if you'd rather not outright delete certain instances of each repeated word then you can go with my suggestion over it), if Stealth Rock is already set by another Pokemon, then Sludge Wave can be used. With Sludge Wave, Seismitoad can damage Grass-types more effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With a Modest nature and the given EV spread, Seismitoad can hit as hard it can. The given nature and EV spread allow Seismitoad to hit as hard as possible. In addition, with With 160 Speed EVs Seismitoad can outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-S (I'd suggest adding one or two more Pokemon here, but that's not a big issue). Life Orb is the preferred option because Seismitoad wants to do as much damage as it can; however,. Damp Rock is a viable choice to lengthen the duration of Rain Dance, which allows Seismitoad to be an excellent support sweeper on a Rain Dance team. When equipped with Damp Rock, Seismitoad is an excellent addition to a full Rain Dance team. However, Seismitoad should be used as a support sweeper, because of its difficulty with Grass-type Pokemon. Seismitoad can also utilize Hidden Power Ice to hit Altaria, who otherwise resists walls this set. Grass- and Poison-type Grass / Poison type Pokemon are the biggest counters to Seismitoad, as they resist the Water half of its STAB and are hit neutrally with even Earth Power and Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is a superb counter to Seismitoad because it takes little damage from any of Seismitoad's attacks and has Giga Drain to OHKO Seismitoad while healing itself. Also, the threat of Spore threatens Seismitoad and fellow teammates. In addition to Besides Grass-types, Seismitoad has a hard time taking down bulky Water-types. Dedicated as well as dedicated special walls that can tank Seismitoad’s onslaught and cripple it. Lickilicky tanks the easily absorbs (don't repeat words that you just used in a previous sentence) attacks and can respond by setting up a Wish, phaze phazing with Dragon Tail, or use a using (make sure the tense that each of your examples are in is the same) Swords Dance. In addition, Audino can switch into any attack, set a Wish up, and cripple Seismitoad with Toxic. Articuno is an excellent partner with Seismitoad because it resists Grass-types attacks, and moreover can wreak havoc with STAB Ice Beam and Hurricane-, which has an accuracy boost in the rain. Ludicolo is an excellent rain partner for Seismitoad, because it has a way to hit the Grass-types, who are trouble for Seismitoad. In general, Seismitoad has excellent synergy with Grass-types, since they resist Seismitoad’s only weakness. Amoonguss is an exceptional partner for Seismitoad, especially in the rain. With Rain Dance in effect, Amoonguss’s Fire-type weakness is neutralized, and with Spore and Regenerator Amoonguss can switch in and out many times. Additionally, Amoonguss’s Poison-type STAB helps to deal with troublesome Grass-types. Fellow Water-type sweepers, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, appreciate Seismitoad weakening the opponent’s team.(The list of counters and teammates seems a little excessive to me, but I wouldn't suggest removing any of them.)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Seismitoad received many gifts from BW2. With the newly acquired Water Absorb and Stealth Rock, Seismitoad is now a decent tank. (you've already mentioned BW2 additions in the overview) The Water- and Grass-typing A useful Water / Ground typing (lol) allows Seismitoad to tank special attacks, rather than physical ones. Seismitoad can also be a good lead because of its access to Stealth Rock, and can attack the opposing lead with Scald if needed. Earth Power takes advantage of STAB and allows Seismitoad to hit Pokemon who resist Scald. Knock Off serves to destabilize the opposing Pokemon, ridding them of their essential items, such as Evolite, Leftovers, and Choice items. Seimitoad can also utilize Toxic to cripple bulky Pokemon; however, Grass- and Poison- Grass / Poison type Pokemon are immune to Toxic and will often be the ones that will switch into Seismitoad, and are immune to Toxic.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>An alternate EV spread is a physically defensive one: of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature can be used for physically defensive variants. Seismitoad can also run 60 Speed EVs to outspeed Choice Band Emboar. (That sentence felt out of place) Leftovers are the recommended item, (unnecessary comma) because the passive recovery helps maintain Seismitoad’s bulk. Rindo Berry is also a viable option, as it allows Seismitoad to check many Pokemon in the tier that lacks a Grass-type attack and even then can survive non-STAB Grass-type attacks from such Pokemon, such as: Grass Knot from Samurott and Eelektross; and as well as Hidden Power Grass from Charizard. Seismitoad is also a good check to opposing water sweepers that lack a Grass-type attack; however, Seismitoad cannot do much damage back. Courtesy of its typing, Seismitoad is a good counter to Volt Switch users that lack a Grass-type attack, such as Zebstrika, Probopass, and Rotom-S. In addition, if If using the physically defensive EV spread, then Seismitoad can check Samurott and Carracosta; however, they can bypass Seismitoad with a Grass-type attack, but that weakness as long as they lack a Grass-type attack, but again, that can be mitigated with Rindo Berry. The preferred partners to Seismitoad obviously should resist or be immune to Grass-type attacks, especially if Seismitoad is using Leftovers rather than Rindo Berry. Again, Articuno is a great partner because the offensive and defensive synergy between the two is great. Articuno can take Grass-type attacks all day, and threatens opposing Pokemon with a STAB Ice Beam or and Hurricane. Pokemon with the Sap Sipper ability are also great partners, because of their immunity to any Grass-type attack. On a more offensive oriented (unnecessary) team, Sawsbuck is an excellent choice because it can threaten the opposing team with a +1 Attack boost. On a more defensive team, Miltank is a great choice; it can switch in and start attacking at +1, or heal support the team with Heal Bell. Seismitoad has trouble with status, predominately poison; therefore, a cleric would be most beneficial. A cleric that can capitalize on Grass-type attacks are the best partners. (you're really stressing the Grass-type weakness a little too much) The aforementioned Miltank works well with the Sap Sipper ability, and Vileplume also works well because of its has a 4x resistance to Grass-type attacks. Physically defensive Amoonguss has access to Spore and is an excellent partner for Seismitoad because of the synergy between the two, and can Spore the opposing team. Even with Water Absorb and Leftovers, (unnecessary comma) Seismitoad lacks reliable recovery, so a Wish-passer would be is recommended. Flareon is an excellent partner in this regard as it also threatens every Grass-type Pokemon in the tier. with Wish, because it resists Grass-type attacks, and threatens opposing Grass-type Pokemon with its STAB Fire-type attacks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seismitoad can utilize RestTalk, but with the new sleep mechanics it becomes a risky choice. Seismitoad also has access to the Poison Touch ability, which has a chance to poison the enemy on contact; however, it is not as helpful as Swift Swim or Water Absorb. The option of using Grass Knot is available to hit opposing Water-types; however, Grass-type Pokemon will switch in on Seismitoad the majority of the time , but it won't see much use other than that. Seismitoad has an extensive physical movepool, but lacks the power to reasonable damage, and it doesn’t have a viable physical Water-type STAB. Seismitoad has access to Earthquake, which does acceptable damage. a physical set doesn't have many hard-hitting options and lacks Water-type moves, while a mixed set doesn't hit quite hard enough, even with Earthquake. Alternatively, Seismitoad has Ice Punch to hit Altaria and opposing Grass-types super effectively. In addition, Drain Punch deserves a mention because it hits the various Normal-type Pokemon in NU, and is a method to recover health.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As mentioned previously, Grass-type Pokemon are excellent counters to Seismitoad, because they resist Seismitoad’s STABs, and can retaliate with a STAB Grass-type attack, which can, in many instances, OHKO through Rindo Berry; however, pure Grass-type Pokemon should avoid Sludge Wave. Even with Rindo Berry, Grass STAB will heavily damage Seismitoad, though pure Grass-types will be wary of taking a Sludge Wave. Amoonguss is the best counter to Seismitoad, because it can use Spore, or OHKO through Rindo Berry with Giga Drain, while Seismitoad’s attacks won’t be denting the mushroom. Although Despite the fact that Seismitoad can hit Ludicolo with Sludge Wave or Toxic, Ludicolo is an adept counter to Seismitoad, in or out of rain. In rain, Ludicolo can outspeed and OHKO with a STAB Grass-type attack. Outside of rain, Ludicolo can switch in and set up a Substistute Substitute, use Leech Seed, or simply OHKO with Giga Drain. If Cradily avoids Sludge Wave or Toxic, then it can boost its Special Attack with Storm Drain, or KO with its STAB Grass-type attacks. With immunity to Water-type attacks, Parasect with Dry Skin can switch in on Seismitoad and threaten with a Spore or STAB Grass-type attack. Special walls, such as Lickilicky, Audino, and Musharna can come in on Seismitoad and tank the hits while wearing Seismitoad down. Altaria resists Seismitoad’s Water-type STAB and is immune to Earth Power, but Altaria has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch. In a similar vein, Dragonair is a good counter because of its bulk and typing. Even , even Hidden Power Ice and Ice Punch won’t be doing much damage because of Dragonair’s bulk Eviolite-boosted defenses. and it can set up Dragon Dances (while true, a bit unnecessary); however, it does have to watch out for Knock Off, because it can rid of Dragonair’s Evolite. Barring Knock Off (which would remove Eviolite), Seismitoad has no way to stop Dragonair. Faster Taunt users are a nuisance because they disrupt Seismitoad’s job, either to set up Rain Dance or Stealth Rock; however, the Taunt users do have to watch out for Hydro Pump and burns from Scald. , but nothing with Taunt will appreciate taking a Hydro Pump to the face or getting burned by Scald. (This was a pretty good write-up, but there were a lot of issues with repetition going on. Try not to dwell on certain things for too long (the Grass-type weakness was beaten to death here), and avoid excessive use of semicolons if "in addition" and "however" are the only words you can think of to follow them. Thanks for helping out with an NU analysis, we definitely need more users that can contribute like this.)</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)