Wolves of the Sea (Anti-Drizzle Drought Team)

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus

I'm sick while writing this so it's far from a masterful RMT; sorry about the quality.
With the introduction of Keldeo and Thundurus/Tornadus-Therian, Politoed has begun his plans of global saturation. Thankfully, the primary abuser of Rain is a fantastic Pokemon even in Sunlight meaning that any team, rain or shine, can abuse Tornadus-T as a sweeper that only becomes more deadly in Rain which leaves rain teams with a potential weather disadvantage no matter who wins the weather war and that is what this team is out to prove. Yes, Rain is a treasure and as wolves of the sea, we intend to claim it for ourselves. However it's not all Tornadus that accomplishes that goal. To fully keep rain teams down, this team is armed to the teeth with Pokemon that shut down Tornadus' counters as well as other rain threats like Keldeo, Starmie, and other Tornadus. Specs Tornadus in sun; let's make this happen.

Team Building

Sun with Tornadus. Easy enough.

I've had issues with Venusaur in the past. I found its offensive sets to be a bit lack-luster due to being open to Heatran without EQ, Ferrothorn without HP Fire, and Dragons without HP Ice. I decided to take a different approach and run a SubSeed set as it can stall-out all those Pokemon and hit Grass with HP Fire.

Being a Sun team, I felt it would be a crime to use Venusaur without Heatran on board. However, I decided that instead of a Balloon, Sunny Day, or Defensive set, I'd give Choice Scarf a whirl.

With 3 Sun abusers in the team, I thought it high time that Tornadus got some love, so in comes Lanturn to check pretty much anything and everything Rain teams run that gives Tornadus a hard time minus Jirachi but Ninetales has that covered.

At this point, I already see a massive problem: EdgeQuake. Tornadus being my only answer to Ground-types so far and having no resistance to Stone Edge around, I felt that something need to be changed in the core before I even think about another Pokemon.
Tangrowth is a perfect fit due to Chlorophyll but for a Defensive Tangrowth I'd miss a lot of recovery without Regenerator. So I mulled it over and decided a SubSeed set would work wonders for Tangrowth so out goes Venusaur and in comes Monjonbo.

Ah do I ever suck at fitting SR on a team. It's always the last Pokemon that I end up slapping SR on but in this case it actually works. Balloon Terrakion makes a fantastic Stealth Rocker and provides my team with the Fighting-typing it desperately needed for covering it's Rock weakness as well as a powerful Physical Attacker.

Team Breakdown

Captain's Executioner (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- U-Turn
- Focus Blast

Specs Tornadus seems extremely out of place on a Sun team, but anyone that has played against this team will agree that the bird is indeed the word. I usually lead with Tornadus against Rain teams just to get a Specs Hurricane off turn 1 for some instant momentum. Should my opponent switch to a Tornadus counter, I have enough options to abuse them as well. I can go to Lanturn for support or momentum, Ninetales for Sunlight, or Heatran should they switch to Jirachi. Lanturn walls all common Electric-types and Tornadus and can use Heal Bell with Ninetales providing emergency Sun to cut Thunder & Hurricane’s accuracy to 50. Because of its teammates and Regenerator, Tornadus is usually around until the very end of a battle and will long out-last any Jirachi or Thundurus-T that would stand in its way.

Rain won't always be up so Air Slash provides a nice back-up STAB to use with a good flinch rate to boot, but that's not to say that Hurricane's not a decent emergency option in sandstorm or hail. Focus Blast is mainly here for Heatran but Tyranitar is a very legitimate threat to this team too and while Focus Blast's accuracy is shaky, Superpower just doesn't cut it without Life Orb. U-Turn is primarily for scouting but can work will with Lanturn in some instances to effectively VoltTurn for momentum.

Sea's Cruelty (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Roar

The queen of sunlight herself. While Ninetales is obviously here for Drought, she also protects her team from Volcarona and Latias using Roar while spreading a little passive damage around. Sub makes her a lot harder to take down and allows her to to get a safe Will-O-Wisp off on Tyranitar and friends. Heatran is an issue but I have my own Heatran and Balloon Terrakion to deal with it. There's not much left to say about Ninetales, she does what I needed to and I'm, for the most part, happy with her.

Insanity of Atlantis (Heatran) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast [Place Holder]
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran provide a few vital roles this team needed. It's the obligatory Steel-type, Sun-Boosted Fire-move absorber, and my Choice Scarf holder. Pretty much the bog standard Scarf Heatran with Flamethrower for reliable STAB then Earth Power & Hidden Power. My little twist on it is Eruption over what would normally be Overheat. Sun Eruption does just stupid damage to things that resist it so I like to use Heatran early game after I get SR up to use Eruption as much as I can before it loses too much HP.

Heatran is my answer to Dragonite but it actually checks a lot of things for me being a secondary Tornadus check, Gengar check, Heatran check, and really just anything it can hit for a great chunk of damage that doesn't resist it's moves.

Poseidon's Killer (Tangrowth) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This guy can take entire teams down as long a Sun is up; okay well maybe not entire teams but he's a hell of a SubSeeder. The set may look familiar as it is a modified version of Venusaur’s SubSeed set; same moves just different EVs to cater to Tangrowth. This SubSeed set makes Tangrowth an absolute nightmare in sunlight; max defense keeps weaklings from breaking his Subs without SE damage so he can SubSeed to his heart’s content. Sleep Powder is very useful for neutralizing Magic Guard holders and the few U-Turners than can actually break his Sub. Hidden Power Fire provides a way to eliminate Grass-types and it respectably powerful in Sunlight for an uninvested attack due to Tangrowth's naturally high Special Attack.

Neptune (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

The very glue that holds my Tornadus plan together. She stops Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, and Rotom-W cold while acting as both a cleric and a pivot to get Tornadus and friends back in the game. She has BoltBeam coverage since Scald does little for me in the sunlight and the burn chance isn't worth the gamble. Toxic provides a way to deal with Latias and a few other things that just don't die without a little "persuasion."

Porthos the Pirate (Terrakion) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

And finally a physical attacker appeared! Yeah only having one physical attacker is kind of a big issue because if he goes down I'm forced to rely on Tornadus-T's Focus Blast to KO the blobs which is really really bad. However, the infamous Porthos the pirate and legendary musketeer can be quite the task to take down due to the Air Balloon.

Terrakion is the team's Rock resistance, Stealth Rocker, and Physical Sweeper but to be fair Tangrowth really doesn't mind taking a Rock attack anyway. The moveset just about explains itself; support its team with Stealth Rock then attempt to sweep with Swords Dance. Its typing really can mess with Sand teams much in the same way Lanturn does with Rain so Terrakion is quite an important member of the team even past SR & Physical Attacking.

Core Strategies

Along with the standard definition of a core, I consider Pokemon that can form an effective strategy together to be a core as, much like team cores, a strategic core requires all its members to work at its best.

Hurricane Core:

This is all about smashing Rain teams with Specs Hurricane. Lanturn not only laughs at Rain Pokemon, but it lures in Grass-types so I can Volt Switch to Ninetales. Why would I want Ninetales out if I want to spam Hurricane? Bait. I want to force out the Ferrothorn or w/e that switched into Lanturn to bait Politoed to come in and summon rain as I double switch to Tornadus. From there...you can figure out the rest.
Drought Abuse Core:

Of course if there's no other weather to contend with, I can abuse my sunlight to my heart's content, which is just as nice as a Tornadus sweep. Scarf Heatran is extremely dangerous in Sun, especially if it nabs a Flash Fire boost and can nuke something with Overheat. Tangrowth covers Heatran very well since Focus Blast is the only Fighting-type move that does mortal damage and just lol Ground-types. Ninetales, aside from the Sun, keeps trouble like Volcarona from messing with the team even though Tangrowth can Sub and Sleep and Heatran is Heatran but every advantage helps.
FWG "Defensive" Core:

The main core. These are the Pokemon that will be soaking up the most damage and constantly pivoting between each other. Technically Ninetales is part of this as well but Heatran it generally more useful as a core element. Having the option to use either is very welcomed of course.
Offensive Core:

Sometimes I just feel like tearing something apart that's not Rain and that's where this core comes in. Tornadus, Heatran, and Terrakion have surprisingly good synergy together especially with Heatran being Scarfed. Water-type attacks are the only SE attacks that aren't resisted but Sun can change that and Lanturn is always happy lend a hand if need be and won't even slow the core down due to Volt Switch letting one of them come right back in. If I need to apply constant pressure, I can gamble and use and switch between these three.

Threats

Rather than have an overly long list of threats and how I beat them, I'll just list off the major ones that the team struggles with or are worth mentioning.
Blissey/Chansey - As I said before, these two are just the bane of this team as Terrakion is the only thing I have to deal with them. I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Heatran to get a physical attacker to rid myself of this problem.

Deoxys-D - I just hate this thing. I usually just lead with Terra and SD up then try to Stone Edge it to oblivion.

Dugtrio - Well I have 4 Pokemon, should Terra's Balloon pop, that are weak to Ground. Dugtrio is definitely worth a thought even if Heatran out-paces it.

Haxorus - Eh. Not the worst thing to deal with as long as Terra's Balloon is intact to force it to Outrage then check it with Heatran. Even though there's nothing on the team it can switch-in on safely, it's more of an issue than I'm really comfortable with.

Heatran @ Balloon - Heatran's not a horribly big issue but Balloon variants can get annoying with Ninetales only being able to Roar and my own Heatran being Choice-locked.

Hydreigon - Scarf versions are the only problematic ones as Terrakion murders it. But they really are a pain.

Kyurem - SubRoost is a pain. Choice Scarf isn't bad but SubRoost is just annoying and it hits my entire team Super Effectively.

Latias - SubCM or CMRefresh are the main ones that worry me. Ninetales can Roar those variants away and Lanturn can Toxic anything else. Even Tangrowth can put them to Sleep and SubSeed away but I don't have anything solid to take it out without Rain.

Latios - Heatran, Ninetales, & Lanturn can take a few hits but just as with Latias, I have nothing solid to take it down.

Reuniclus - Being a very fast team, nothing likes Trick Room too much and Calm Mind can be a huge pain if Ninetales is down or Heatran's not at full health for Eruption.

Salamence - Same as Haxorus really.

Stoutland - The first time I ran into Stoutland I thought "Oh that's adorable." Then it swept my entire team with smart predictions. Definitely not to be taken lightly.

Tentacruel - Not only are my SE moves all Specially-based but Tangrowth loses his ability to stall with Toxic Spikes up. Just a bad Pokemon for this team to run into to in general.

Venusaur - It really depends on the set and specifically if they run Earthquake but Venusaur can be quite the hand full.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SDef / 200 Spd
Gentle Nature (+SDef, -Def)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Roar

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-T (M) @ Choice Specs
- Air Slash
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

Please, please, please leave suggestions and constructive criticism. If you see something about this team that could be better, I'd love to know about it.

:0 This is a very cool team, I love how you use Lanturn, he seems like a great answer to the two powerful genies. I have to try him out sometime!

Anyway if I could make a suggestion, I would replace Eruption on Heatran for Overheat. Because you lack a spinner on your team, Heatran will take damage from both Stealth Rock and Spikes, causing his Eruption to get weaker and weaker throughout the match.

Overheat does pretty much the same damage as Eruption after Stealth Rock, but if you don't like the Sp. Atk drop you can go for Fire Blast I guess. I recommend Overheat though.

Another thing I just learned from user Expert Physics is that the only way to get Eruption on Heatran is by transferring it to your BW from Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Signs. Heatran will always have a Quiet Nature, so technically your Heatran is illegal :p. The only way to fix it would be to make him Quiet Nature, which of course is stupid with Choice Scarf. So another reason to switch to Overheat! :)

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I dont get why you don't replace Lanturn with Rotom Wash? Same type, Levitate, better defenses, it only loses Heal bell which you don't need.

Because Rotom-W Can't stop Thundurus and many other rain threats with its miniscule HP unlike Lanturn.

This team looks really well made and I have one actually pretty similar, with Kingdra over Lanturn, Infernape over Tran, and Zapdos over Tornadus. Ok, so not that similar...

Alright so my first suggestion I would like to recommend running Pain Split over Substitute on Ninetales. I see how Substitute is welcomed as it lets you get a free burn off on Ttar and friends, but it chips away at your health along with stealth Rock leaving you quite weak after every switch in. Pain split would help you regain good ammounts of health and give Ninetales a recovery move and better hopes of trying to win the weather war.

On Lanturn you could test out Thunder Wave over Toxic to try to paralyze and slow down opposing mons which would help with Terrakion setting up and Terrakion's SubSeed Shenanigans.

Now the last thing I see was how you said that Blissey and Chansey were problems. I would really recommend testing out Scarf Infernape over your current ScarfTran. If Terrakion goes down by something like Dugtrio, then as you said it's pretty much GG if your opponent has a Blissey or a Chansey. Infernape still hits like a Nuke in the sun and outspeeds far more things than Heatran such as +1 Mence and the likes. Ideally you could also run a Mixed Attacker set with Flare Blitz AND Overheat, which I believe I got from your RMT "Prelude of Light" Infernape would do Heatran's Job of trying to break massive holes in the opposition's team.

Not much else to say, when I said I made a team similar to this, I ran a Specially Defensive ChestoResto Rotom-W for some time which was pretty good if you want to try it out I will leave the set.

So--

Substitute ---> Pain Split on Ninetales
Toxic --- ( Test it Out) --> Thunder Wave on Lanturn

And then here are the Infernape sets

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 108 Atk / 148 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

On the Last Set, The Life Orb one, I usually run Stone Edge over HP Ice with a Jolly Nature which iirc actually hits Dragonite harder. Up to you though

Hope my Suggestions helped! :toast:

Cool team and good luck

One Last thing which is kind of crucial, Heatran with Eruption has to have a Quiet Nature When I gave your team a test run the builder kept telling me to change it to Quiet. So I'd really look into the whole ScarfNape Idea seeing as Heatran won't be outspeeding much with a Quiet Nature even with Scarf

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Timid is illegal with Eruption, as Eruption is an event-only move released on a Quiet Heatran. As Quiet is shocking on a Scarftran, I would replace it with Overheat or Fire Blast. Explosion could also be used with a Naive or Hasty nature as a bit of a throwback to DPPt to let it dent something if it's on low health.

Terrakion can use Stealth Rock, but it is pretty fragile and that slot is better filled by Rock Polish, letting it beat common Scarfers such as Gyarados and the now-common Therian formes. If you so desire, you could potentially move Stealth Rock onto Heatran, but as you know, being locked into Rocks isn't really a good thing.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'm surprised none of the sims prevented Heatran from having Eruption. I'll make sure to change it when I get the chance. I'll also try out those changes you all suggested. I'm not too keen on not having a Steel-type around but Scarf Infernape does seem promising. Thanks for the help so far.

Hello I think you should change Hurricane to Heat Wave because it gets a sun boost and takes stuff out and whatnot also if your opponent doesnt have a rain team its a wasted move lol

also i think you should put stealth rock on heatran and take it off of terrakion because i doubt overall stealth rock damage will do as much as like a close combat to the face of another pokemon and if you can force a switch which is the only reason youd stealth rock you might as well swords dance and sweep. then you can change heatran to flame charge and still be fast and stuff but thats just me stealth rock seems silly on terrakion

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Katakiri - crazy team as always; you're the master of gimmicks!

I think your issues stem from the lack of firepower. SubSeed Tangrowth is such a waste of a Chlorophyll slot imho. A lot of your problems can be solved by utilizing Sawsbuck instead. It provides you additional physical power and an amazing revenge-killer of dragons, Volcarona, and Venusaur. It's not walled by Heatran to boot. You lose out on Tangrowth's defense, but the offensive pressure from Sawsbuck would keep the opponent on the defensive. Certainly appreciates Lanturn's slow Volt Switch as much as Tornadus-T.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Double-Edge
~ Horn Leech
~ Jump Kick / Nature Power
~ Sunny Day / Swords Dance / Return

I guess you can run Silk Scarf if you abhor LO recoils, but LO makes SD unnecessary for Sawsbuck to just clean the floor for you, unless they have a dedicated physical wall like Skarmory. I listed Sunny Day > Swords Dance, cuz I feel weather dominance a lot more important, but they are really equally good on Sawsbuck.

Scarf Heatran probably lost its lackluster with the loss of Eruption - it certainly is no Scarf Darmanitan, whose Flare Blitz dgaf about anything and has access to U-turn. You have more than enough Speed in Tornadus-T and Sawsbuck, so Scarf is rather unnecessary, too. If you still want to keep Scarf Heatran, though, you may want to try Magma Storm instead of Fire Blast. The extra 6% residual goes a long way in crippling Blissey and especially Chansey. If you manage to set up Rocks with Terrakion, Heatran has a chance to even 2HKO 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in the low 70s. If you go with Modest, Heatran is even less afraid of the pink blobs. Going Modest would be awesome for this reason; you would still be faster than Dugtrio, but now slower than +1 DNite. You do have Sawsbuck for revenge-killing purposes, though, so Heatran may afford to drop its Speed. Modest ScarfTran can still tank a +1 Outrage, and HP Ice OHKOs Dragonite w/o Multiscale, too.

If you want a sweeper Heatran you're probably better off using a Flame Charge + 3 Atk Heatran @ LO / Charcoal or Sub + 3 Atks, though. Being choice-locked to a Fire, Ground, or HP is not ideal imo, since you can easily forfeit momentum if ScarfTran isn't sweeping with its Sun-blessed Fire offense..

Finally I suggest giving a NP Ninetales a shot. It transforms Ninetales into a weak-ass non-threatening Sun summoner to a team player who significantly contributes in the team's offense. Blissey / Chansey wont be able to heal up on Ninetales now. +2 HP Fighting would be great for not only popping Heatran's Air Balloon, but to actually kill it. This Ninetales can dispatch TTar much more quickly, too. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Nasty Plot
~ Fire Blast
~ HP Fighting
~ Will-O-Wisp / Roar

Enough Speed to outrun neutral base 100 mons. Alternative options over the last slot includes Sunny Day for weather dominance and Dark Pulse so Latias can't CM up for free

I hope these suggestions would only improve your team. Innovative team, Katakiri - thanks for sharing.

hey nice team overall. Everyone pretty much suggested what I wanted to say especially the Heat Wave part on Tornadus-T. Anyway, here's my last suggestion that could work and nobody has ever considered it. Rock Polish over Swords Dance on Terrakion.
Since this team's purpose is to counter the two rain Therians, Rock Polish would aid you in outspeeding the said threats. Most Thundurus-T run Scarf so you won't have to worry about it after getting Rock Polish. Tornadus-T is naturally fast but a +2 Terrakion is faster. Also, some Thundurus-T run Agility which could potentially screw your team. Again, +2 Terrakion is faster. This would also help your team against Sand Rush users and Chlorophyll users since most of them are naturally slower than Terrakion. Yea sure the loss of power from Swords Dance may seem unappealing and you'll be walled hard by Skarm and Gliscor but then you already have too much Special attackers to deal with them. You won't miss too much of SD too since even Chansey is 2HKOed by an unboosted Close Combat.

Calcs for the said Threats:
All calcs assume 0/0 EVs on the threat and an unboosted move for Terrakion unless stated otherwise:
Stone Edge vs. Tornadus-T: 131.1 - 155.18% OHKO
Stone Edge vs. Thundurus-T: 145.15 - 171.23% OHKO
Stone Edge vs. Venusaur: 70.76 - 83.72% 2HKO
Close Combat vs. Stoutland: 135.69 - 160.77% OHKO
Close Combat vs. Sandslash: 61.85 - 73.19% 2HKO
Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Blissey: 99.15 - 116.8% OHKO after SR
Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Chansey: 73.57 - 86.93% 2HKO
Close Combat vs. Keldeo: 65.94 - 78.01% 2HKO

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Well after being bedridden for a couple days, I finally got to testing out all your suggestions.

@ Rock Polish - My team never had any issues with the Genies. Tangrowth walled Landorus and Lanturn laughs at the Rain Bros and even Heatran can best Tornadus-T.

@ Heat Wave - If I got rid of Hurricane, that would entirely defeat the purpose of Tornadus. Heat Wave is imo an option that I always found to be situational at best. I added U-Turn OVER Heat Wave as Heat Wave was my original choice. It's not a move that Tornadus ever wants to be locked into and is really only good on Life Orb sets regardless of Sunlight.

As for the changes I made: I knew all about Overheat Heatran already as that was what I originally ran before I remembered it got Eruption and I hated the S.Atk drops. It just invited far too much in to take advantage of a Pokemon that is kind of easy to take advantage of anyway. I started running Magma Storm and it would normally be a great option but I seemed to have the absolute worst luck. I must have hit maybe 1 out of every 4 Magma Storms. I just got tired of it and switched to Fire Blast.

Pocket's advice is always solid so I made sure to try out Sawsbuck and NP Ninetales.
I gave Will-O-Wisp a shot but I quickly changed to Roar as protection against Sub Calm Minders which otherwise can take down at least one Pokemon. But overall, I liked the change and it certainly works as advertised.
Sawsbuck works fantastically as well. The only down side if that I now have to play extremely aggressively to keep Fighting-types out and if I lose Tornadus with Breloom around, I might as well forfeit. But far and away my worst issue is Rock Polish Terrakion; Lanturn can only Toxic it for any real damage and the rest of my team is easily OHKOed.

While this doesn't solve the above problems, I replaced Heatran for Mixed Scarf Infernape and just wow, this thing is pretty damn amazing with Sawsbuck, Terrakion, and Tornadus. I've never been fond of the hyper offense style but this clicks with me.
Again, the only issue is that I almost certainly will need to replace Terrakion for something that can take those Fighting-type moves like Gliscor or Landorus (Gravity sounds really tempting for Tornadus abuse...nah not worth it) but otherwise, I'm actually happy with these changes.

Thanks a ton, guys! I'll amend the OP once I figure out what to do with Terrakion's slot.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Roar

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 108 Atk / 148 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Jump Kick
- Sunny Day

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Katakiri,
I really like that you're using Tornadus-t in the sun, very original. The problem with using either Gliscor or Landorus in this team for taking Fighting type hits is that you're destroyed by Mamoswine, there's literally nothing that can switch in on it if your opponent predicts correctly. But you do need something that can tank fighting moves, get up rocks while still maintain a somewhat offensive presence.

I suggest Forretress (Set down below) over Terrakion, one of the great things about Forretress is that even if he cant beat the opposing Fighting type 1v1 he can come in, take a hit then Volt Switch to your check for that particular fighting type. Forretress is probably exactly what this team needs, it gives you a much needed physically defensive presence in the team that not only gives you something to get rid of fighting types but Forretress is another member for your volt-switch chain, a steel type that's a defensive answer to dragons, a reliable switch-in to Mamoswine, a Rapid Spinner and something to set up Stealth Rocks. Forretress also has pretty good defensive synergy with Lanturn making a strong defensive core with double Volt Switch.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef | IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rocks
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Considering nothing on your team is weak to Stealth Rocks except for Tornadus-t (Regenerator) and Ninetales (the only thing that really needs sun is Sawsbuck which has Sunny Day anyway), your team is fast paced and you're somewhat weak to Gliscor; you could run Hidden Power [Ice] over Rapid Spin with an EV spread of: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SAtk to 2HKO Salamence, Landorus and Gliscor after Stealth Rocks, this also forms a pseudo Bolt-Beam combo, giving you pretty good coverage.

Anyway I hope I helped and GL with the innovative team! Luvdisc'd

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Happy to hear that you used my suggestion of ScarfApe :D

On the note that you want to use something to take on fighting types, I have been using a pretty successfull sun team right now, with a Ninetales / Slowking / Landorus-T core- King to take stray Draco Meteors and Water and Fire attacks. Land-T to wall Terrakion and Ninetales for added Sp Def. I would really recommend Defensive Landorus-T over Terrakion as it provides Rocks like you wanted and additional check to stuff like Dragonite with Intimidate, U-turn lets you make a volt turn combo with Lanturn and Nape

I usually like running the defensive version for my team

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ LeftoversTrait: Intimidate
EVs: 196 HP / 96 Atk / 216 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

The Evs are so Landorus-T can live a plus 2 Rock gem Stone Edge from Terrakion after rocks and Intimidate.

GL!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The quickest fix is give Terrakion Focus Sash, which is a surprisingly effective item on Terrakion. Focus Sash guarantees its survival against the face of revenge-killing, surprising Scizor and Breloom by surviving their powerful priority and retaliate with a +2 Close Combat. Of course this strategy is dependent on keeping hazards off, so if you usually can't prevent the hazards from going up, then Sash Terrakion obviously wont work.

Otherwise mons like Landorus-T and perhaps an offensive LO Lati@s can take over Terrakion's spot to more reliably check Fighting-types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)