Rolling in the Deep (first OU RMT)

- - - ROLLING IN THE DEEP - - -

Before I get into the team, i'd just like to introduce myself since this is my first post on smogon. My name is Lucas and i've been play competitive Pokemon on and off since Pokemon Netbattle first came out. I've only recently come back to playing, and this team was the first team i built since coming back. I hope by contributing and browsing smogon i can grow as a player.

- - - BUILDING PROCESS - - -

I knew that i wanted to build around toxic stall Gliscor, as I remember before I left playing the game that I used him to combat Breloom and was quite successful. I also just really like how he's a flyer who is immune to electric attacks so he was first pick

I remembered using Nattorei (Ferrothorn's Japanese name) during the testing of the B/W metagame and loving how he played. So he was a no brainer to include.

Next addition was Politoed. Since controlling the weather is a big deal now a days i figured i'd use his rain summoning abilities to mess with sun/sand/hail teams.

Next I threw in Aerodactyl. As far as I know, he is the fastest Stealth Rocker in the biz, which is a vital to the team's success.

The final choices were Gengar and Scizor. Gengar was added to block spins and be an all-around superstar while Scizor was chosen as a revenge killer.

- - - IN DPETH - - -

a dinosaur (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Aerodactyl out-speeds pretty much every set-up pokemon imaginable, making him an excellent choice to Taunt then Stealth Rock. Focus Sash allows him to take a hit from priority moves lik Ice Shard, enabling Stealth Rocks to go off. I recognize that Aerodactyl is an extremely fragile pokemon, but the consistency of a first turn Stealth Rock is worth it to me. In chess, a gambit is when a player sacrifices a pawn to gain a better postion, which is essentially what i'm trying to do with Aerodactly. However, EQ and Rock Slide make for great moves that do a fair amount of damage when he sticks around.

a bat (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 124 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Earthquake | Ice Fang | Substitute | Toxic

I find that this guy can really annoy my opponent, which is why I love playing him. Toxic/Sub allows Gliscor to take out Pokes that are too big to EQ to death. Ice Fang allows some protection against Dragons and Grass types. I really wanted someone who could just stand up to Breloom, as I've had a troubled history with that poke.

a top (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 84 Atk / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
Leech Seed | Spikes | Power Whip| Gyro Ball

Standard Nattorei. He might just be my favorite pokemon to play with. The threat of him being able to Spike or Seed is enough to warrant bad switch ins that I punish with Gyro Ball and Power Whip. He opens the door to win games that you shouldn't be able to win since there are very few moves that can OHK him that aren't easy to predict a pokemon having. Not sure what else i can say about him, he is just a really good poke.

a toad (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 40 SAtk / 164 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Toxic | Protect

It's fun to mess with the weather. I don't like playing Hail or Sand teams because you need to really be committed to the strategy, having several pokemon to the team that aren't going to be hurt by your condition. I considered playing Ninetails, but i feel that he is just to fragile and Toed is just better. I had Scald over Hydro Pump previously but took it off because i found that the burn that Scald sometimes provided wasn't doing enough extra damage, so i went with a more powerful move accepting the loss in accuracy. Ice Beam is awesome when you catch their switch ins into dragons or flyers. I also went with Toxic on Toed to add another man who can spread the sickness around on the other team. You want to keep Toed alive for as long as they have their weather condition alive. After you take it out, you can just use Toed to tank and take out pokes softened by Rocks and Spikes.

a ghost (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Disable | Substitute | Shadow Ball | Thunder

Gengar is a Special Attack monsters. The Substitute/Disable set is enough annoyance to warrant a switch in in which Gengar responds with an Shadow Ball or Thunder. Thunder has great synergy with Rain and is sort of unexpected. Your opponent thinks it's fine to switch in their water, but are greeted with a Thunder to the face. Being able to block spins and fighting moves is pretty cool too.

a bug (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
U-turn | Superpower | Pursuit | Bullet Punch

My least favorite pokemon on the team, but necessary to take out threats. He dies to a lot of things, but I'm afraid to change him due to his ability to make the most out of Bullet Punch. It's a pretty standard set for Scizor, nothing fancy. It gets the the job done, but I wich I had something better.

- - - CONCLUSION - - -

Overall, I'm really enjoying this team. I have fun playing it, and I don't really get frustrated when things don't go my way since I'm playing with Pokes that I like. I will however consider any suggestions you guys have for me as I'm willing to try out different pokes or sets. So thanks in advance for all the help!

Importable
Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 124 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Substitute
- Toxic

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Disable
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 40 SAtk / 164 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Protect

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 84 Atk / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

I agree with you in that scizor isn't the best poke for your team, especially considering the fact that it, as well as Ferrothorn are 4x weak to fire and although this is a rain team synergy IMO still comes first as you always have a chance to lose the weather war. Plus you don't like Scizor much anyways. I suggest using CB Conkeldurr over Scizor. You'll retain the priority and you'll gain a status absorber as well as a Pokemon that has no negative effects on your team. Also, what damage is lost in losing technician is almost completely recovered due to Conkeldurr's ridiculously high attack stat. Note that I said almost. However Mach punch does hit more pkmn for SE damage, which has to count for something.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

It is very ironic that by first glance it seems as if Sandstorm is the better weather for this team. None of your pokemon (bar Toed) lose any net HP points from Sandstorm, and Aerodactyl even gets a x1.5 SpDef boost. However, since Tyranitar brings in greater fighting weakness and Hippowdon greater ice weakness, I suggest you make the team I bit more rain friendly, and replace Aerodactyl with Tornadus-T.

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive nature
~U-Turn
~Superpower
~Hurricane
~Heat Wave

One pretty big problem to your team was fighting types such as Conkeldurr or Virizion that could get past Gliscor with their Ice type moves. Tornadus helps you counter them, outspeeding and OHKO'ing with Hurricane. Tornadus can also act as a scout, providing super fast U-Turns to help you maintain momentum. Tornadus's Superpower and Heat Wave are for coverage.

Now that you've lost your Stealth Rocker, I suggest you give Ferrothorn Stealth Rock instead of Gyro Ball. Stealth Rock makes up for Aerodactyl, and even though you lose the ability to hit Tornadus hard Stealth Rock is generally a better idea.

That's about it for now, good luck!

@electrolite now that i think about it you're right about the sandstorm thing, it would've been even more perfect for sand (barring synergy issues) if only alakazam had been used instead of gengar.

I agree that Tyranitar would probably have fit the team better from the start. Anyways, Scizor seems to be the weak link. I suggest changing Scizor to Azumarill.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Attack / 44 Speed
Adamant Nature
Moves:
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Azumarill's priority attack, Aqua Jet, will help you clean up weakened Pokemon and it gets a boost under the rain, unlike Scizor. Nothing will appreciate a Banded Waterfall under the Rain, not even if it resists it. Azumarill provides your team with a huge hitter who can take advantage of Rain being up. Ice Punch nails Dragon-types and with investments in HP, Azumarill can come in on some resisted hits. Azumarill also helps you nail Volcarona, who even under Rain can be quite annoying. Even at -1, Azumarill will still be able to dish a heavy load of damage, something not much Pokemon can accomplish.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)