SBP33's RU Team

Hello, everyone! I have this RU team I constructed recently on Showdown, and I'm up to almost 1400 in ranking already, and I'm looking to ladder with it, so if you guys want to see the flaws or improvements this team can have, please let me know!

Without further adieu, here are the players!

Galvantula @ Life Orb

Ability: Compoundeyes

252 SpAtk/252+ Speed/4 SpDef Timid Nature

Volt Switch/Hidden Power Ice/Thunder/Bug Buzz

Due to Nidoqueen being in the #1 spot in RU, HP ice is absolutely necessary as it 2HKOs it on the switch. This also works well as a anti-uxie lead and can force decent switches, as ferroseed cannot touch galvantula and many pokemon in the tier cannot outspeed it. Therefore, this pokemon also works as a good scout for slower pokemon, especially physical walls. Charge beam, while it seems gimmicky, has given me the edge I need to take out threats with a surefire OHKO, especially in cases against clefable and ferroseed. It also makes mince meat out of qwilfish, which means that hazards aren't the greatest deal if galvantula is on the field. In short, if galvantula is on the field and nidoqueen isn't present, then galvantula can pretty much clean up.

Moltres @ Life Orb

Ability: Pressure

56 HP/200 SpAtk/252+ Speed (Timid Nature)

Substitute/Roost/Fire Blast/Air Slash

Arguably the hardest-hitting special attacker in the RU metagame, Moltres fits on this team well to combat the likes of tangrowth and ferroseed, while also dispatching the hitmons and other fighting types barring scarf variants. The extra HP investment is there to make bulkier substitutes while also being able to tank hits slightly better, as moltres has decent natural bulk. While the subtraction in SpAtk misses the 2HKO on clefable, it isn't a huge loss otherwise, as fire blast still hits like a truck to anything that doesn't resist it and, once again, moltres can prove as a useful scout. While I do not carry a spinner, moltres with max speed can be able to roost off hazards if necessary. The SubRoost set is just one of those sets that is reliable on nearly any RU team needing a strong fire type.

Rhydon @ Eviolite

88 HP/252+ Atk/84 Def/84 Speed

Stealth Rock/Megahorn/Rock Blast/Earthquake

Formerly an Aerodactyl, I needed something that could not only reliably set up stealth rock, but also take physical hits with ease. Not wanting to lose rock type coverage, I opted for Rhydon. This can still hit like a truck with max attack and maintain almost unprecedented physical bulk. Despite the couple of 4X weaknesses he possesses, it functions as a great physical tank that can check entei and other physical attackers that could potentially tear through Clefable, and vice versa, therefore making a fairly potent defensive core.

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

252 HP/4 Def/252+ SpDef

Wish/Heal Bell/Seismic Toss/Healing Wish

This is my first time using Clefable, and I have to say the number of times it has saved my other team members and gave me the match is countless. Wish-passing is an obvious perk of clefable, and while it seems to be just a cleric, it can also make sure a crippled sweeper can get back in the game. Healing Wish is the crux of this Clefable set, as it is able to fully restore the teammate coming in and relieving status conditions, so feraligatr or moltres can come in even after taking heavy damage and sweep all over again! I feel this clefable truly is the epitome of support.

Tangrowth @ Choice Band

Ability: Chlorophyll

252 HP/252+ Atk/4 Def

Power Whip/Bullet Seed/Earthquake/Brick Break

While it may seem unorthodox to run a choiced tangrowth, this pokemon can break many attackers and walls. Bullet seed, while sadly illegal with Regenerator, is useful in taking out substitutes and can surpass power whip's base power if it hits 5 times. While it may seem to rely on chance, it is more reliable than power whip for accuracy's sake, and earthquake and brick break pretty much round out coverage. Tangrowth can also take physical hits very reliably, and while not quite the walling set, it still is able to dish out hard physical attacks with no need to set up.

Feraligatr @ life Orb

Ability: Torrent

48 HP/252+ Atk/208 Speed

Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice Punch

This Gatr knows how to truly round out the synergy for this team. Not only does it complete the grass/water/fire core, but it also has EVs tailor made to beat swords dance gatr one on one. I've had experience with the EV spread and finally found the right combination to not only tank feraligatr, but also outspeed sceptile at +1. This said, it can only be stopped by those faster than it, but after +1, the only thin outspeeding it is accelgor barring scarf users. This feraligatr is a very key player in rounding out threats, and it does its job perfectly.

-Past Teammates-

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure

252 Atk/4 SpDef/252+ Speed

Stealth Rock/Earthquake/Taunt/Stone Edge

While Aerodactyl was a tried and true lead to set up Stealth Rock, I needed some physical bulk because while tangrowth suffices as a physical tank, it is not tailored to be wall. Therfore, Rhydon outclasses Aerodactyl in both bulk and it has higher attack, so it is able to put large dents in opponents, take physical hits and set up rocks.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well I had written a really long essay rating this team but my computer crashed so you'll have to do with this!

Basically, replace substitute, Charge Beam, and Leftovers on Galvantula with Hidden Power Ice, Volt Switch, and Life Orb. This stops Nidoqueen from having a field day on your team (it can 0HKO the vast majority of your team) and also gives you a decent scout.

Next, Moltres shouldn't really be running Life Orb and Substitute, even with Roost. Secondly, the whole point of running Substitute is to surprise usual switch ins. By running air slash instead of Hurricane you are merely limiting Moltres's effectiveness, because anything that resistants fire and isn't weak to flying can wall you. Hurricane has an excellent side effect as well as great power. So leftovers instead of Life Orb and Hurricane instead of Air Slash.

Lastly, Aerodactly doesnt seem to be accomplishing much on this team other than setting up SR. By replacing it with Rhydon you get a great Entei switch in and a strong physical tank (both of which you lack) who can pair up with Clefable to form a potent defensive core.

Heres the set:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant
88 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def / 84 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock Blast
-Megahorn

The only thing I would see missing from you tips is moltres misses the 2HKO on clefable, but other than that it seems very viable!

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey man,

This team has difficulty breaking through most defensive cores. A simple core of Lanturn + Tangrowth essentially walls your entire team, and you really have no hope of beating a well-played core since everything you have is walled hard by one or the other and you carry no real method of wearing them down. It's also nearly impossible for you to handle SD Kabutops / Feraligatr, as your one real check (Tangrowth) doesn't even have Regenerator or any other form of recovery, so it can be worn down very quickly so the two can sweep. I also don't know what you're talking about with the EVs on your DD Feraligatr, as you really cannot switch in and beat it with your own (+2 Return does something like 86-99%, at which point it can be finished off with Aqua Jet).

Most of these issues can be fixed with a few simple moveset changes. First and foremost, you should not be running Choice Band Tangrowth. Regenerator is a fantastic ability, and giving it up for Bullet Seed's ~potential~ to break Subs and hit hard (keep in mind it only has 50 Base Power the vast majority of the time) is really not a good idea. A physically defensive Tangrowth would benefit you best over the one you have, as it keeps opposing Feraligatr and Kabutops in check. As far as breaking apart opposing defensive cores, there are a few small changes you'll want to make to other Pokemon. Healing Wish on Clefable really isn't as good as it seems; you're sacrificing a lot of bulk and a really unique Pokemon to give one of your Pokemon a second shot at sweeping, even though they're probably not even going to be able to push through any walls (DD Feraligatr is rather weak even with a boost, and Air Slash Moltres isn't breaking through Slowking or Lanturn ever unless you get a load of flinches). Instead, using Toxic gives you a fighting chance to weaken the Pokemon that keep your two sweepers in check (Lanturn / Slowking and Tangrowth / Poliwrath, respectively).

Lastly, the current Moltres set you have is just really weak especially with you throwing random EVs into HP, and I'm not seeing the purpose of SubRoost when you're a) not abusing Toxic Spikes and b) you have little issues with status, seeing as you have Heal Bell Clefable. An offensive Moltres set with Hurricane > Air Slash would be hugely advantageous, as it allows you to actually put pressure on defensive teams, which the previous set didn't do at all.

physically defensive Tangrowth > your current CB set
Tangrowth @ Leftovers | Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA | Relaxed nature (+Def, -SpD) or Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
Sleep Powder / Giga Drain / Synthesis or Leech Seed / Hidden Power [Fire] or Earthquake

offensive Moltres > your current SubRoost set
Moltres @ Life Orb | Pressure
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Fire Blast / Hurricane / Roost / U-turn or Hidden Power [Grass]

Toxic > Healing Wish on Clefable

Hope I helped a bit, and GL with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)