The Lamp that Could

Gimmick

Electric potential

A Black & White 2 Hyper Offensive OU Team

Hello fellow scholars of the Smogon University. I'm sure everyone has noticed the increase of usage of the ever-so-frustrating Hyper Offensive play-style, while countless amounts of teams have been shared, displayed, and improved upon to fit this similar theme. When BW2 came out, pretty much every "Deoxys-D team" (as it is now called) had a simple formula: Deoxys-D + Gengar + Genesect + Sweepers. Although I did derive inspiration from this, the team itself was never meant to be labeled as "Deoxys-D Hyper Offense." I simply wanted to build a team around a monster of a Pokemon (set) that has not yet been seen--SubSalac Terrakion. Yes, the title may be a bit misleading since it supposedly focuses on Chandelure; however, the MVP and basis of the team is the above Terrakion set.
I'll be honest, I technically didn't create the set, but I did put it to good use. I was watching one of my friends battle on PO and he played this (sorry) absolutely horrible opponent who sparked the idea. He switched Terrakion into Brave Bird from Skarmory, had his HP drained to 4%, and had a Salac Berry activate. My hopes for this person were insanely high as possibilities of a set like this raced through my mind. Of course, he then decided to Giga Impact my friend's Skarmory, washing my hopes down the drain. However, ashketchum2984782933pokemonmastergigaimpact43753's item choice will forever go down in history.

^ Read that. Anyway, after crafting my Terrakion, I needed to decide on partners. The biggest threat to SubSalac Terrakion is of course the bourgeois use of priority moves. The two most common (being Bullet Punch and Mach Punch) straight OHKO Terrakion from Scizor and Techniloom respectively. Mamoswine's Ice Shard can stop my sweep cold as they kill Terrakion after it receives its Salac boost. I decided a good partner to Terrakion would be one that checks/counters common priority-holding Pokemon. Reminiscing in my days of Dream World, the idea of Chandelure came into my head. It resists Bullet Punch and Ice Shard while holds immunities to Extremespeed and Mach Punch. I absolutely loved this Pokemon after testing it so it easily found a place next to Terrakion. As an added bonus, Chandelure can act as an offensive spinblocker, leaving me with no choice but to add Deoxys-D. And thus, with my favorite offensive core in history paired with an amazing hazard-setter with the added bonus of a spinblocker, I started to complete the team:

So far, according to my intro, we have this. SubSalacRakion/ScarfLure offensive core + Deoxys-D. Chandelure could spinblock for the hazards, resist priority and fighting types directed toward Terrakion, and sweep once everything was weakened. Terrakion eliminated Chandelure's checks like Heatran and Tyranitar. Now I needed to make sure I could get up hazards successfully while supporting my 2 sweepers.
_________

I added a second Scarf--Jirachi. Now, I know having 2 Choice Scarfed Pokemon on 1 team is looked down upon, but it really fits this team. Jirachi was able to get surprise kills on Genesect that tried to get sneaky and kill Deoxys-D with a Bug Buzz. I generally lead with Jirachi instead of Deoxys-D if they have a Genesect. It also deals with Pokes such as Latios or SubCM Latias which give this team a bit of a problem.
_________

Next, I added Genesect to deal with Magic Coat Deoxys-D leads. Since I already have a Scarf Chandelure and Jirachi, I decided to go with Expert Belt on this guy.
_________

Finally, a more traditional sweeper: Dragonite. It supplied me with the very valuable priority as well as the great offensive Dragon typing. It fits on every team. What else can I say?
_________

After many suggestions from everyone (thanks guys!), I decided to replace Jirachi with a Latios. It managed to patch up so many weaknesses and acted as a much faster Scarfer than Jirachi.

The final result was amazing--it was fun to use and did its job well. I played a ton of ladders with it on alts to continue testing until the EVs and sets matched my preferences.

Obviously, I could have laddered more, but I started testing new teams and what-not. Anyway, I suppose I should get to the juicy part--the sets.

CHANGES IN BLUE

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

• Description/Item: This set is, simply put, monstrous. It can come in on anything that almost OHKOs it and set up a Swords Dance and pretty much sweep an entire unprepared team. It can also set up a Substitute if you predict a switch; that's where the real magic happens. If the opposing Pokemon is faster, just click Substitute until you get down into Salac Berry range (25% or less, of course). This gives you a Sub intact at 25% while you're now faster than the opposing Pokemon (unless it's a Scarf Latios--always scout for that first). You have 2 choices here: Swords Dance or kill. If your opponent has no priority, you can freely Swords Dance and either massacre their whole team or blow gigantic holes in it. However, if they have a Scizor or Breloom, which die after Rocks + 3 layers of Spikes, keep the sub intact and finish off the Pokemon you set up on. That way, they're pressured to take a Close Combat, which is still insanely powerful without a Swords Dance boost. Another benefit of the Salac Berry is that it hides your item early game, meaning you can find an opportunity later to set up when they think you're choiced. There are actually a few moves that I know from experience that put Terrakion in Salac range: LO Tornadus-T's Hurricane, Defensive TTar's Superpower at -1 (Sub once, Swords Dance while you take a Superpower), Jellicent Scald after a Sub (Sub once, Swords Dance as it Scalds), Scarf Thundurus-T's Thunder. This means you can switch a full HP Terrakion into both Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T to activate Salac. From there, you can either predict a switch and Swords Dance or simply revenge kill. With Thunder Wave support from Deoxys-D, it can set up 4 Substitutes in hope of full paralyzation, giving Terrakion a free boost. All in all, this guy pretty much wins games with relative ease. I have no idea why nobody has thought of it/hasn't suggested it on an analysis.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: Pretty standard. EVs maximize offensive potential while Jolly allows it to outspeed very common Scarfers when it's at +1 (like Thundurus-T and Genesect). 4 EVs are in Sp. Def so Genesect gets an Attack boost (meaning I can actually set up on it).
  • Moveset/Ability: Dual STAB + Swords Dance is self-explanatory. Substitute helps me dodge status, but more importantly, gives me a safe way to activate Salac Berry. I find myself with free Subs all the time anyway.

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

• Description/Item: The lamp itself makes an appearance. Chandelure is heavily underrated in the OU tier. It's just so damn powerful. I do run a Modest nature on a Choice Scarfer, which may seem odd, but it has its benefits. For one, it can speed tie with Adamant Dragonite after a Dragon Dance, which is obviously helpful. However, the main reason I run modest is so that Chandelure acts as a pseudo-sweeper. Once checks and counters are removed, it can come in and clean up with its crazy 427 Special Attack stat. Fire Blast is insanely powerful (even more-so in Sun) and pretty much 2HKOs if not OHKOs everything (even frail resists). However, the main main main main reason is to have the ability to outspeed Starmie. Giving Chandelure a Scarf is a god-send to this Pokemon as it is now able to OHKO almost every single spinner in the game. The only thing it has problems with is Tentacruel, which is why I supplied Psychic. Chandelure is just so powerful and also for some reason has relatively high defense stats. Like I said in the intro, it pairs near perfectly with Terrakion, forming in my opinion one of the most deadly offensive cores in the game.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: The IVs give it HP Ice without losing a speed point, maintaining 70 base power, and reducing confusion damage. The EVs, of course, maximize offensive potential. 4 Sp. Def EVs are added to give Genesect an Attack boost. Modest was chosen over Timid for power and pseudo-sweeper potential. It also 2HKOs many common switch-ins like Rotom-W. Timid nature would allow you to outspeed Jolteon and Aerodactyl as well as speed tie with Jolly +1 Dragonite, but those are insignificant to my team (and somewhat uncommon).
  • Moveset/Ability: Shadow Ball and Fire Blast are added as obligatory STABs that pretty much demolish everything in their path that isn't named Tyranitar or Heatran. HP Ice manages to take out Dragonite, Gliscor, as well as Landorus (which can be extremely threatening if it gets a Rock Polish) while Psychic is my go-to move when trying to spinblock Tentacruel. Energy Ball simply isn't worth it to me, since Psychic also hits the many Fighting types in the tier for Super Effective damage. It does about 90% to Conkeldurr, so with prior weakening (from Genesect U-turn for example) is going to go down. It also hits Terrakion before it can dream about setting up a Rock Polish or Swords Dance. I usually just click Shadow Ball, though. It's reliable and powerful. The ability is there to almost 100% wall Genesect. If my opponent has their own Scarfed Genesect, I'm forced to switch out. If they Flamethrower, Chandelure gets a massive boost, while if they U-turn, I can shrug it off easily due to the 4x resist. I suppose Flame Body could be used especially against TTars or Scizors. It would make them think twice about attacking. There's nothing better than saying "yeah, fuck you" after you get Pursuit trapped by burning a Choice Banded Tyranitar.

Deoxys-D @ Mental Herb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

• Description/Item: Deoxys-D is generally one of those Pokemon where you really don't have to explain much since it dies so early. HOWEVER, this set deserves an explanation because Deoxys-D is so much more than that. Deoxys is one of the most efficient hazard-setters in this game. It's fast, bulky, and has access to the two damage-dealing forms of hazards. It also serves as my sweep-stopper if I keep it healthy. Thunder Wave is a treat to this team. It supports Terrakion, Dragonite, Jirachi, Genesect, and sometimes Chandelure. Terrakion and Dragonite can set up on paralyzed Pokes while Jirachi can paraflinch big threats. Genesect is able to outspeed normally faster Pokes, especially Genesect that switches into Deo-D's T-Wave. Mental Herb may seem like a weird choice, but it is the reason I even use this alien. Basically, since Deoxys is becoming so popular, many people are starting to use fast or priority taunt to stop Deoxys cold. However, with a Mental Herb, I'm able to break through their Taunt and continue on with my hazardous bliss. When you're against a fast taunter that isn't Mew, go for Thunder Wave. This way, you crippled one of their Pokes as well as grant yourself the ability to outspeed. Then, the next turn, you can Taunt before them and render their Deoxys-D counter useless. If they have priority Taunt, however, just go straight for the Taunt to set up Rocks the next turn.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: The EVs maximize both bulk and speed so that I can get my hazards up quickly without being OHKOd by something. Most Genesect don't run Bug Buzz as they do carry U-turn as their STAB, so I chose to run 4 Def EVs. This way, their U-turns are far less powerful and fail to even 2HKO. The speed Deoxys-D reaches when fully invested is 306, enough to outspeed Adamant Lucario and Modest Rock Polish Landorus to Taunt before they set up. I can also speed tie with other Deoxys-D leads, which is crucial when playing HO vs HO.
  • Moveset/Ability: As explained in Description/Item section, the moveset is there to counter Deoxys-D counters. Stealth Rock and Spikes are quite apparently my hazards while Taunt and Thunder Wave make sure Deoxys-D is quite actually the opposite of set-up bait. It's able to paralyze incoming Genesects in those situations where you know it's coming in. Against fast taunt leads, always start by going for T-Wave turn 1. Then you may proceed to Taunt and set up as many hazards as your heart desires.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe

- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

• Decription/Item: Replacing my previous team member, Scarf Jirachi, is this monster of a speed demon. Jirachi did provide nice offensive coverage because of Iron Head while completing a U-turn combination with Genesect, but it definitely added up many weaknesses. A few major ones were Heatran, Tentacruel, Thundurus-T (non Sp. Defensive Jirachi doesn't appreciate a Scarf Thunder), and Gyarados. Latios is able to do massive damage to all the specified threat, OHKOing 0 HP Gyarados 50% of the time after Stealth Rock (probably the biggest boosting threat to my team). It removed a Fire weakness and added a resistance, along with both Fighting and Electric resistances. It's able to outspeed pretty much every common Scarfer in the game (Genesect, Landorus, Terrakion, Keldeo, Thundurus-T), while nabbing some surprise kills (especially on Genesect). It also demolishes an EXTREMELY potent threat to this team--Scarf Keldeo. It OHKOs after Rocks :]. Meanwhile, it's able to periodically switch into Water attacks (removes reliance on Dragonite) and more importantly, Heatran. The change to Latios was extremely beneficial to the team as a whole. It also switches into Tentacruel and threatens it out with a Psyshock. It also adds a 3rd check to Techniloom (you know you can't have too many!). Overall, just a fantastic Pokemon.
  • EVs/IVs/Nature: Pretty standard offensive EV spread. Max/max to outspeed things (like Genesect, Terrakion, Thundurus-T, Landorus, etc) and kill them of course. IVs give HP Fire full power while reducing confusion damage. It's somewhat sad that HP Fire can never have 31 Speed IVs, but it still outspeeds Scarf base 108s, so it's all good.
  • Moveset/Ability: This is the moveset that I've definitely settled on. Draco Meteor is obvious as an extremely powerful STAB. It really is as powerful as it sounds, even without Life Orb or Specs. Psyshock is useful against Tentacruel, Breloom, Keldeo, and Terrakion. Psyshock > Psychic because of CM Keldeo or Terrakion in Sand (and I suppose Chansey). HP Fire is great against Genesect and replaces Jirachi's Fire Punch. It also hits Ferrothorns (among other Steels like Magnezone and Forretress) that think they can switch into a Draco Meteor. Surf is very useful against Heatran (which isn't much of a problem anymore! :]) and Landorus.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

• Description/Item: This little fairy, as opposed to Chandelure, serves as my primary revenge killer of the team. It's fast enough to outspeed easily one of the most common Scarfers--Genesect. Although it underspeeds the also common Landorus and Terrakion, it still does its job insanely well. Iron Head flinches are extraordinarily helpful when dealing with threats that need to be exterminated at once, such as Latios or opposing Terrakion. U-turn is a great move on Scarf Jirachi as it can supply momentum and turn entire game around. It only works, however, if you present Jirachi to be obviously Scarfed against a knowledgeable opponent. You can't throw Jirachi out there and expect people to switch out of their Landoruses (Landori?). However, one of the joys of Jirachi is that its set is so unpredictable that you can manage surprise kills nearly every game.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: Yes, I have another general max/max EV spread, but it functions the best on Scarf Jirachi. Jolly nature is needed to outspeed Hasty Scarf Genesect as well as speed tie with Jolly +1 Salamence.
  • Moveset/Ability: Fire Punch is for Scizor and Genesect, Ice Punch for Dragons, Gliscor, and Landorus. Iron Head is usually my go-to STAB though, as it is quite powerful and flinches everything. U-turn is to grab some momentum mid-game.
Considered Changes:
U-turn → ThunderPunch
-Allows me to hit Tentacruel and revenge kill Gyarados, big threats to my team.
-Removes my momentum-grabber as well as "lead-go-to-move."
Opinions?

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

• Description/Item: Expert Belt Genesect's success comes in the fact that it's just so rare. If people aren't using Scarf, they're using Rock Polish + Life Orb. Generally, only Choiced variants carry U-turn, so I try to exploit that fact early game. Once I'm sure my opponent believes I'm Choiced in some way (mainly Scarf), I lure in a threat and attempt to kill it. For example, let's consider a scenario where I have Genesect out and my opponent a Scizor. I pretend to be Choiced by going for the Ice Beam, predicting the Dragonite switch. They predict the U-turn and U-turn themselves into, say, Gastrodon. Obviously, I could kill it with Giga Drain, but it doesn't pose much of a threat to my team, so I switch out. Now, my opponent believes I'm Scarfed. Later in the game, we have Genesect vs Dragonite. He predicts my Ice Beam and switches to Scizor. This is where I can reveal that I am not in fact Choiced by killing it with Flamethrower. Bam. Big threat gone. One less headache for the success of Terrakion. If I definitely need to expose my item early game, Genesect then functions as a pseudo-sweeper, hitting many things super effectively, killing many after hazards. I love this set to no end. Genesect is so versatile it's crazy. It's also so simple: come in on something, click the super effective move, watch your opponent lose 3 Pokemon in a row.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: Huzzah, finally a set that doesn't go max/max. I run 252 Sp. Atk because I want my coverage moves to be as strong as possible to eliminate as many Pokemon as possible. 16 Atk allows me to OHKO 252 HP Latias after Rocks 93.75% of the time, which is reliable enough. I did take the Atk EVs out of Speed, but they were somewhat unneeded since the only thing that outspeeds me from my Speed to Max speed is Timid Hydreigon. I'm not the one to speed tie with other Genesect anyway. Besides, I have Chandelure and Terrakion to deal with it. 252 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed Timid Hydreigon as well as speed tie with opposing non-Scarf Genesect, which I generally stray away from, but it can change a game in itself. I do miss the slight extra power from U-turn on Pokes like TTar and Reuniclus, but I did play a Timid Hydreigon once and was glad I had the speed. I do run Hasty over Naive so that I can take Latios' Draco Meteors and Latias' Dragon Pulses a bit better. It also gives opposing Genesect an Attack boost, prompting them to U-turn rather than Flamethrower.
  • Moveset/Ability: Genesect's moveset has taken many turns in its life, from Flash Cannon to Bug Buzz to Thunderbolt to I-don't-know-what. However, after many battles, this is the one that I found and believe suits the team best. The first move, though, has had much debate and I'm still shaky on the decision of Giga Drain. However, Giga Drain does everything Thunderbolt does (except hit Tentacruel and Gyarados), while hitting Terrakion and Gastrodon and increasing longevity. Let's face it: Terrakion in sand is a pretty good switch into most Genesect. It barely takes anything from Tbolt or Ice Beam while resisting both Flamethrower and U-turn. That's when I'm able to hit it on the switch with Giga Drain and sometimes heal back to a pretty healthy range. I'm definite with my decision of Ice Beam/Flamethrower/U-turn, but there are benefits to every other coverage move. Desperate help is needed in this area.
Considered Changes:
Giga Drain → Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz
-Thunderbolt can hit 2 big threats to my team excruciatingly hard--Tentacruel and Gyarados. It also hits every other water type not named Gastrodon, Quagsire, or Lanturn.
-Bug Buzz, when supplied with a +1 Sp. Atk boost hits everything insanely hard and has the ability to OHKO Deoxys-D. It hits everything that Flamethrower and Ice Beam cannot (except Heatran).
-Giga Drain hits even the water types known to be able to wall Genesect, like Lanturn and Gastrodon. It also hits Terrakion insanely hard, increases Genesect's switching presence, and serves as a good method of killing Thick Fat Mamoswine.
Opinions?

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Superpower
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed

• Description/Item: Doesn't he look friendly? What a friendly dragon. Sometimes. In the other half of his bi-polar life he enjoys pastimes such as smashing opposing teams, revenge killing sweepers with ExtremeSpeed, dancing like a dragon in your presence, and absorbing status. Dragonite is, in my opinion, one of the most threatening sweepers in this game. When Multiscale is intact, he's almost guaranteed a free boost, blowing massive holes in teams. He generally acts as an early-mid game sweeper to weaken physical walls like Hippowdown so Terrakion can come in later to wreak havoc. I generally try to keep Multiscale active since it gives a free boost, so I don't switch into Flamethrowers or Scalds, even if they do like 0.29843%. I do have a Lum Berry so I can set up on the likes of Politoed, Chansey, Tentacruel, the other half of basic rainstall, and of course, Thunder Wave Ferrothorn. There are times when I'd appreciate Leftovers, but I find that the benefits of Lum Berry are too precious.
  • Moveset/Ability: I am using the LumDDNite set because it's the most effective for this team. Outrage for everything that isn't Steel, Fire Punch for Steels Superpower is for Steels (especially Heatran, which used to be a massive headache to this team. It also hits Ferrothorn and Skarmory harder in Rain, which is where they are most commonly found. I cannot OHKO Scizor or Genesect on the switch anymore, but the benefits are much more appreciated), and ExtremeSpeed for annoying priority users like Mamoswine (as well as revenge killing). Pretty self-explanatory if you ask me. However, Heatran does pose a big threat to this team because once Terrakion is gone, I can't kill it. I've been considering Earthquake over Fire Punch for this reason. Then, however, I wouldn't be able to hit most importantly Skarmory. After a Fire Punch, even in rain, Terrakion can OHKO Skarmory at +2. Like I said, Dragonite supports Terrakion. I also use Fire Punch right off the bat if I see Scizor or Genesect, since we all know how much they love switching in. The ability is pretty self-explanatory.
  • IVs/EVs/Nature: Max/max. 0 HP EVs for a Rocks number. I do run Adamant over Jolly because the extra power is appreciated, although it would be nice to outspeed Jolteon at +1 or Timid Heatran without a boost. They're too uncommon to invest for, though.
Considered Changes:
Fire Punch → Earthquake
-Earthquake hits Heatran, a big threat to this team. It's also uncommon on Dragonite so it can earn some surprise kills. Not to mention that it OHKOs Terrakion after 1 layer of Spikes without having to lock into Outrage. Aqua Tail is also an option since it hits Skarmory in Rain and Heatran.
-With Fire Punch, I can hit Genesect/Scizor switches as well as the annoying Ferrothorn and Skarmory. It's a hard decision.
Opinions?

Being the favorite BW2 team I made, I couldn't help but share it with you all. It's so much fun to use and utilizes rarely-seen sets like SubSalac Terrakion or Scarf Chandelure. I'd like help to improve the team (or even make it more fun!) so that it can deal with just about any team out there. A general theme I followed when making this team is the idea of hidden items. Not a single Pokemon on my team has Leftovers or Life Orb, keeping your opponent on their toes. When they can't predict the set, they're forced to play extremely carefully. Terrakion can be bluff the Scarf set (band is a bit harder); Dragonite the Banded set (if it predicts a Genesect/Scizor switch and OHKOs); Chandelure the Specs set (it might as well be Specs since it's so powerful); Genesect the Scarf set; and Jirachi a support set (iron head at max HP). When you hide your Scarfers, especially when you have 2, you're guaranteed a few surprise kills or sweeps. Anyway, thank you all in advance for reading and suggesting ideas as they would be much appreciated. If you want to try it, good luck! Also remember, Terrakion is amazing don't fodder it.

Genesect @ Expert Belt Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower

Deoxys (Deoxys-D) @ Mental Herb
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Gimmick

Electric potential
Reserved for threat list.

I'll just say major threats right now:

Gyarados
Heatran
Tentacruel

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

I love this RMT- it was really well made, and very elaborate. Nice job. You're really weak to hazards and ground types- which often come in a package. Pokemon like Landorus-I or Donphan can dispose of this team fairly quickly. You don't have a spinner, yet Chandelure and Dragonite function horribly when rocks are up. Your only ground resist, Dragonite, is also easily disposed ofHP Ice and Ice Shard, relatively. I beleive the weakness lies in your Jirachi- which is not holding its own weight in my opinion. It's adding to your ground weakness, as well as being punishable with setup because it's Scarfed. U-Turn is covered by Genesect, and though it's not as fast, it hits harder. Fire and Ice are also covered by Genesect- and Iron Head doesn't really hit anything Deoxys-D can't manage on its own (Lati@s, Alakazam) I think Bulky Starmie fits your team better.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid nature, 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Scald / Rapid Spin / Thunderbolt / Recover

Starmie does so many things for your team. It expertly walls the three threats that you put up- Heatran, Gyarados, and Tentacruel- as well as outspeeding and hitting Landorus-I with Scald. It also spins- whisking away hazards that really annoy Dragonite and chandelure, opening up more chances for sweeps. It can also act as a status absorber, because your team doesn't have pokemon that can handle toxic or paralysis. Scald is for STAB, and it weakens physical attackers (ground types) so they don't pose as much of a threat. Scald hits Heatran as well, allowing you to handle even the specially defensive sets. Thunderbolt hits Gyarados and Tentacruel really hard- as well as picking off Tornadus's and other flying types. Recover lets you last longer, and continue to spin for your team.

Deoxys-D also has a weak link, imo. It can't touch ground types either- allowing Naive Landorus's to set up, and then just OHKO your team. I think what can go is Spikes- as, you are a tiny bit susceptible to spinning because your spinblocker can't handle pokemon like Donphan. Spikes isn't as necessary for your team anyway; most threats to you levitate- Flying types, Levitators, and Ballooners. I think Seismic Toss is probably a better option- as it prevents you from being shut down by Taunt, as well as carve off a decent chunk from faster set up sweepers. Seismic Toss also lets Deoxys become useful later in the match- acting as a wall and slowly chipping down your opponents.

Finally, I think Fire Punch should be Earthquake on Dragonite. Fire is already very well covered; there are two other team members with atrong fire moves, as well as some strong electric/water specials from Starmie. Earthquake hits Heatran, which you seem to have a little trouble with. It also hits Tentacruel harder. Earthquake allows you to hit many steel types harder as well (though you miss out in hitting Skarmory, Bronzong, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. But hey, that's what the rest of the team is for) With good support, I think EQ will definitely shine better than Fire Punch.

Cool team, I hope I helped!

Nice team, Heatran does look like it runs rings around you though. It literally walls 5/6 of your team members; if you don't manage to paralyse it with Deo or something I can't see how you can beat it. The lack of a decent Water resist is also really troubling, because pretty much any Water type mon bar Keldeo (Gyarados, LO Starmie, Tentacruel, heck even ScarfToed) looks really difficult to play around. Finally, you lack an Electric resistance so things like Scarf Thundurus-T in the Rain 6-0's you after a tiny amount of residual damage.

I think basically one of Genesect or ScarfRachi has to go. The absolute most mind-numbingly obvious fix is to replace one of them with Rotom-W, which covers Water types and Heatran nicely. Doesn't beat Electrics, but almost all Electrics are used on Rain teams, so it still helps you. Alternatively, you could be creative; things like SubRoost Kyurem (beats Waters and Electrics, pretty good check to non-LO / Specs Tran, also softens Steel types for Dragonite) could fit well. Play around with stuff and see what you like :) Agreeing with Electrolyte that you definitely should look into a Spinner though.

Gimmick

Electric potential
@Electrolyte

I never thought of Starmie on this team (since I never really liked it), but it seems really good on paper. My only concern, though, is the fact that I do lose my fast scarfer, meaning there is not a single Pokemon on my team that reaches a speed higher than 388. I'm thinking about trying a Scarf Starmie with Trick and Rapid Spin thanks to your suggestion. You're absolutely right about hazards, too. Stealth Rock is a pain in the ass, so I often taunt even things like Tyranitar to make sure it doesn't get up rocks. If I die, that sucks. No hazards. But I do keep Rocks off the field. Also, yeah, Rock Polish Landorus is definitely a problem, but luckily for me, if it tries to set up on Deoxys, I'll still have a Dragonite with Multiscale intact to revenge kill it. However, I simply adore spikes as they just make life so much easier. Terrakion can't switch in as much (since it 4x resists Stealth Rock) and physical walls are severely weakened for Dnite and Terrakion. Deoxys-D really does just die most of the time anyway lol. Unless I need it later, I'll save it. Seismic Toss is a bit of a slow move. But it can't hurt to test! :] You mentioned I get shut down by taunt, but I do have a Mental Herb + Taunt myself, so it isn't that big of an issue. And I definitely agree with your last suggestion of EQ>Outrage on Dnite (as mentioned in the RMT itself lul). I haven't tested it yet, but I definitely will now since I got a second opinion. I'm sure it will be beneficial. (I usually just click outrage anyway, lol).

Thanks a ton!

@bubbly
Yeah, I pretty much have to try Scarf Starmie now after you listed those threats. I never actually realized Scarf Thundurus-T can do so much damage (I never really see it on Pokemon Online, a bit more on PS). I do want to have Rapid Spin on it though, so Trick would be good. Although, I need to remove Genesect so it doesn't bother Deoxys-D, so I'm legitimately considering testing HP Fire. To cover my Gyarados weakness, I'll need Tbolt (or Thunder). And then for Heatran, a water STAB. That's Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt/Rapid Spin/HP Fire. I never used Starmie in my life so I have no idea what I'm doing. Opinions on this? :]

Also, SubRoost Kyurem sounds quite interesting, but like I said, I'm looking for a fast Scarfer so faster things don't have a field day with my team.

Thanks for those suggestions! :]

This looks like a nice team, but I feel that it would get destroyed by Rain. Your one Water resist is destroyed by Ice, something basically all water types can run. You have no moves that hit Water types hard (except giga drain on Genesect), and 4 of your Pokes use Fire attacks that will be drastically weakened. And that isn't even mentioning the powerful Rain abusers common in the metagame.
I think that at the minimum you should Jirachi Thunderbolt or Thunderpunch over Fire Punch. As a bonus, this would give it BoltBeam coverage. This may give a Genesect issue, but with half of your team still using Fire moves it would be less significant than the massive problem you have with Rain.

Bryce

Lun
Hey Gimmick.This is an awesome team.Like you said Heatran,Gyarados and Tentacruel are really the biggest threats to this team.One more threat I noticed is Scarf Keldeo in Rain.With Dnite removed(although with rocks up keldeo can 2HKO Dragonite with Surf in Rain I think),he can do serious damage to this team,potentially sweeping it.For this you can try out Scarf Latios instead of ScarfJirachi ,Latios works similarly to Scarf Starmie,something you wanted to try out with a much more power.Like Jirachi,it can surprise kill Genesect with HP fire too.Latios remedies almost all of your current threats checking Thundurus-T and Tentacruel as well as revenge killing Gyarados with also partially checking Heatran with surf.

If you decide to try out ScarfLatios,I would recommend a few other nitpicks.Firstly HP Ground>Psychic on Chandelure for having a easier time with Heatran as chandy can easily lure out Heatran.

One more less important suggestion is using Thunderbolt over Flamethrower if you feel like keeping Giga Drain(Otherwise Thunderbolt>Giga Drain).Things that FT hit are Ferrothorn,Scizor,Forretress.Genesect and such,Later 3 can be hit quite hard with +1 thunderbolt.Besides you have Fire Attacks on 3 of your pokemons so losing FT should not be too much of a problem.Thunderbolt will let you handle Tentacruel and will let you hit water types harder when u do not get a Sp Atk boost.

Hope I helped.Anyway Luvdisced for using chandelure,brings back sweet memories of dw ou.

Okay, first rate and it's just to back up a couple of things that other people have said. First off, I want to say that I absolutely love this team and it uses a couple of sets that I'm a huge fan of - ScarfRachi being one that I've used a lot in the past. Also, you're using Chandelure, which makes you awesome. Marry me.

So I'm going to back up the suggestion of Rotom-W over Jirachi. Although I love the set, I don't see ScarfRachi being more useful than the Rotom, and having a Genesect on the team too I think would make that situation more serious. Regarding the set, I think that either a Scarf set to replace your Jirachi there or a bulky set would do very well, the bulky set being able to take on Tornadus-T with ease. The Scarf set to replace Jirachi would probably be the first option, however.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Timid | 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe | 2 Atk | 30 Def
Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Hidden Power [Ice] | Trick

Secondly, again backing Hidden Power [Ground] > Psychic on Chandelure, given its ability to bring in Heatran as well as it does, people assuming they'll either get Flash Fire to activate or just straight-up wall you. I can't see Psychic hitting anything harder than you do already, so it seems redundant. If you're not crazy about that, then Hidden Power [Ground] on Genesect would be the next best choice, with Chandelure already being able to take on Scizor well.

Other than that, there's really not much else I can suggest. If you go with a bulkier Rotom-W set, then I'd suggest maybe Scarf Moxiemence over Dragonite to compensate for the loss of Speed, but we'll see how that pans out.

Luvdisc'd, and good luck.

id recommend putting back the speed evs: just take the 16 evs out of spatk its not like they give you any kos..

youre much more likely to win by speedtying / outspeeding timid hydreigon than you are by getting that tiny bit more damage from spatk

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since i haven't read all the rates, i may say something that is already mentioned but here i go...

First of all to fix your Tentacruel and Gyarados weaknesses a bit definitely put Tbolt over Giga Drain on Genesect. You mention that you use Giga Drain for Gastrodon, Terrakion and Mamoswine over Tbolt. And you also said that Gastrodon is not particularly threatening for your team. In the meanwhile Mamsowine gets easily 2HKOed by a +0 Flamethrower after SR, or after a U-turn + Flamethrower + 2 SR rounds or by Ice Beam + Flamethrower at +1. So the only real target is Terrakion, which can be handled if you use smart U-turn to weaken it.

You could also try HP Ground over Giga Drain which will allow you to deal with Terrakion, Heatran and Tentacruel all together, but then you are walled by other waters such as Jellicent and Gyarados, so i don't know if it is worth it.

Finally, now that Gensect handles Tenta and Gyarados you want something to handle Heatran. So simply changing Chandelure's Hidden Power to Ground gives you a solution, albeit situational, to Heatran.

Good luck, hope i helped!

Gimmick

Electric potential
@ Scoobius
Although it may look like I'm weak to rain on paper, that's assuming I switch around. This team really doesn't do much switching for resistances, so as long as I kill at least 1 Pokemon with one of my Pokemon, I shalt prospereth. Also I use Fire Punch so much on Jirachi that I'd much rather dispose of U-turn, but thanks for suggesting Thunderbolt! I never thought of that and can still OHKO Gyarados while dealing with Slowbro/Skarmory. Gonna test that.

@ Murk
Again, Rotom is a somewhat slow scarfer, even unable to outspeed Adamant Scarf Terrakion (even though it's uncommon--just supporting its slowness). Xatu over Deo-D seems a bit odd since then I lose my hazards, lol. And Focus Sash Terrakion completely severs this team's purpose. However, thanks to your Rotom suggestion, I may try a bulky variant, so thanks!

@ White symphoni
Holy crap, that's an amazing idea. Scarf Latios can OHKO Gyarados, 2HKO both Heatran and Tentacruel, as well as outspeed pretty much everything not named Jolly Stoutland. I'm somewhat skeptic about adding HP Ground since Psychic is so useful against the many fighting types in OU now. Of course, it's worth a try. It really only hits Heatran since I believe STAB Shadow Ball is 20 BP lower than x2 HP Ground while x2 Psychic is like 70 BP higher. Thunderbolt is definitely being tested on Genesect, but both Giga Drain and Thunderbolt have their advantages.

Thanks a ton!

@ Intergalactic
Lmao will do. Till death do us part? Yeah, the Rotom's being tested right now actually. And I'm trying to fit HP Ground on one of my Heatran lures, but it's just so hard to decide on which one. Thanks!

@ ssbbm
16 Atk reliably OHKOs Latias after Rocks, which isn't all that important I guess. I did a calc once on Gastrodon where it can 2HKO after Rocks or something--I forget (I used to run Tbolt then. Now I have Giga Drain so it doesn't matter much). I'll probably run 8 more Spe EVs to outspeed Timid Hydreigon, thanks!

@ Expert Physics :]
Definitely using EQ Dnite after everyone strengthened my opinion about it, especially since it's coming from an official team rater! I used to use it, but I got frustrated that Ferrothorn can just come in all it wants and switch out when I bring in a counter, leaving Dnite somewhat useless (same with Skarmory). I also like the ability to hit Scizor and Genesect on the switch, but I have others for that.

I really should slash Bug Buzz and Tbolt next to Giga Drain since I switch them out periodically really. However, I realized the boost I get from Expert Belt really justifies running 3 coverage moves as opposed to 2. I'm not sure what Bug Buzz hits other than like... actually I have no clue lol. I like to have diversity, but the earlier version of the team did have Bug Buzz (so water types were much more difficult to deal with). It's just a preference thing, though.

Wait.. really? Deoxys-D isn't OHKO'd by +1 U-turn? I swear I never knew that lol. I thought it was, which is why I have 4 Def EVs to give Genesect the Sp. Atk boost (and then switch into Chandelure to scout for Bug Buzz, unless they have TTar). But now I don't even have to worry about that anymore, thanks a ton!

@ alexwolf
Yep, definitely trying HP Ground on Genesect. If not HP Ground, it's Thunderbolt; and in that case I'll use HP Ground on Chandelure.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions everyone! I can feel this team improving already :]

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
this is a very nice HO team. you have some unique sets that have great synergy with the rest of your team.

Jirachi is very underwhelming, but its steel typing is so necessary on this team. One of the biggest problems for this team is that because its a HO offense team, it struggles taking hits. And none of your pokemon outspeed scarf base 101 so Scarf Keldeo, Landorus, Terrakion are definitely going to be threatening. You could replace Jirachi with a Scarf Latios to help alleviate that issue, but the steel typing it provides is so essential to your team.

Additionally, you could go for Superpower on Dragonite. It allows you to beat Heatran/Ferro (standard 252 HP/4 Def Ferro is ohko'd after rocks 100% of the time) and not auto lose to Skarm/Bronzong if you have EQ

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick / HP Fire

Trick hurts stall and HP Fire is just another move to hit ferrothorn. You could also go with Dragonpulse in the last slot if you hate the shaky accuracy of Draco Meteor and really need it for the late game sweep.

Gimmick

Electric potential
@ Chimpakt
Thanks! :] And yeah, Jirachi does seem a bit underwhelming at time as my supposedly "fast" scarfer, since with some playtesting today realized that Scarf Keldeo is a huge problem, especially those with Hydro Pump since it OHKOs everything except Dragonite and Deoxys. Luckily, I rarely see those, but when I do, it's game over. Scarf Latios hits pretty much the same things as Jirachi but loses the valuable Steel typing that helps with Tornadus-T as well as a Mamoswine pivot (since Genesect with a -Def nature doesn't enjoy even resisted Ice Shards). You're right though--the benefits outweigh the negatives. I'd feel more secure with a Latios on my team as well, which is always pretty crucial when playing any match. Venusaur also gives me some problems, and since Scarf Latios outspeeds the more threatening Modest variants, I can stop them cold.

Also. At that Dragonite suggestion: Holy. Shit. That is easily one of the greatest suggestions I got. I really was skeptical about Earthquake since Ferrothorn is so high in usage and otherwise walls my Dragonite, but Superpower is a win-win(-win-win!) situation. That's so simple lmao but so useful. Definitely testing that. Thank you so much!

If you don't mind sacrificing priority (you shouldn't face too much speed competition after a dragon dance or two), drop extremespeed for earthquake. As far as I have noticed, fire/ground/dragon has perfect neutral coverage on everything except balloon heatran (easily remedied with a single attack).

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Gimmick, nice team you have here. Your Terrakion / Chandulure core reminds me of my Lucario / Gengar core. However, I can see why Chandulure is superior in this case, as it resists Bullet Punch from Scizor. Anyway I see Water type attacks, Electric type attacks, and Ground type attacks being a problem for you, as the only Pokemon that resists Water / Ground on your team is Dragonite, which you won't want to switch in because of Multiscale. Now, someone suggested earlier that Starmie could work, as it counters Heatran and spins, but I also suggest you find a place for Hydregion or Latios on this team. I'd go with Latios, as a scarf set still out speeds Scarf Genesect, Scarf Terrakion, and Scarf Landorus. Latios also resists Electric, Water, and Ground type attacks, it also helps you out with Gyarados at +1, Heatran, and Tentecruel. It also really helps you with Scarf Keldeo, which some people are saying is a problem for you.

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Trick

TL;DR Replace Jirachi with Scarf Latios.

Luvdics'd

EDIT: Just realized Chimpakt already suggested Scarf Latios, but hopefully my reasons will make sure you keep Latios on your team :) Good luck testing it.

Nelson

Young, Wild & Free
SubSalac Kion has became quiete commun lastly but otherwise, i encourage you to operate that starmie change since Scarf Keldeo smashes your team without any probs.

Gimmick

Electric potential
@ Sunkern
Dragonite's Extremespeed is insanely valuable to this team, so I'd much rather replace Fire Punch for Earthquake (now Superpower). Extremespeed, even unboosted, hits a ton of sweepers really hard and eases my reliance on Jirachi to revenge kill (locking myself into Ice Punch against a Salamence allows my opponent to bring in Genesect and U-turn out for momentum).

@ ShootinStarmie
Haha yeah I actually got 2 other suggestions for that, but thanks for strengthening my opinion toward it! :] I was thinking about giving Latios Thunder though, opinions? It hits waters (that otherwise trouble my team) excruciatingly hard and serves as a primary way to deal with Gyarados and Tentacruel. I know it has shaky accuracy outside of rain, but the power and 30% paralyze chance is worth it. Thanks!

@ Nelson-X
Has it? I have never seen an opposing one in my life before making this. Except for ashketchum28391836gigaimpact919373's referred to in the introduction. And yeah definitely replacing Jirachi with a better Scarfer, but Latios has more benefits than Starmie (imo). It also forms a Dragon core which is quite nice, easing the path for Dragonite to sweep. Thanks!

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well, Draco Meteor will still being doing a lot to most Water types, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to spam it. You could forget about Trick / HP fire and run Thunder instead of hitting Ferrothorn / Scizor / Genesect / Forretress, or cripple stall. Chandulure handles most of the Pokemon listed there anyway, so if you don't have a problem with Stall teams, then run Thunder. If you don't want the shaky accuracy you can always run Thunderbolt, as that will easily OHKO Gyara. Tentecruel is hit harder by Psychock, so don't worry about him too much.

Oh I didn't know you were facebooking ;o I saw you in IMP chan all the time and wondered who you were haha. That aside, I absolutely adore the team! It's very creative, forcing me to think of weird stuff that stops it. I can only think of stuff that isn't even very common, for example SD/DD Aqua Jet Feraligatr. But I mean, c'mon it's Feraligatr in OU. I pretty much have nothing really constructive to say here and am just rambling on. So, great team Gimmick!

Gimmick

Electric potential
@ ShootinStarmie
252 SpAtk Latios Draco Meteor vs 0 HP/4 SpDef Gyarados: 69.18% - 81.57% (50% chance to OHKO)
I guess you're right. Draco Meteor OHKOs 50% of the time after Stealth Rock (and this is 0 HP Gyarados, I know some run a bit of bulk). It's enough to where Dnite can come in and ExtremeSpeed for the kill. So HP Fire / Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf? I don't really like Trick especially when my last slot can severely damage Heatran (except Specially Defensive ones in Sun). Lol this set really does wonders to my team. It patches up so many problems. Thanks everyone who suggested it!

@ wrestlethebest
Haha yeah :] And thanks! Both SD Feraligatr and Banded Azumarill (in Rain mainly) are pretty massive problems to this team. I have to rely on Dragonite for both, and since I don't want to lose it early by an Ice Punch prediction, I end up playing very boldly and let things die, which can be a problem. I almost have to rely on hazards and Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed to deal with those 2. If I do add Latios though, this problem is alleviated, which is really nice.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Gimmick, Draco Meteor / Surf / Psychock / HP fire seems like a great set. Although I'm pretty sure SpDef Heatran isn't really popular in the Sun, you are right, Latios can't really touch it. Any other Heatran you will be doing a significant amount of damamge with Surf.

Surf: 164-194 (42.59 - 50.38%) -- 53.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
That's SpDef Heatran while not in Sunlight.

Surf: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
That's offensive Heatran while not in Sunlight.

I don't think you should worry about Heatran too much because of Terrakion, but it isn't advised to switch Terrakion straight into Heatran because of Lava Plume's 30% burn rate. Try double swithing into it, or you can easily revenge it. After Latios hits it with Surf once, that's the last time it can switch into Latios.

Anyway, good luck man :)

hey bro nice team nice team. you might want to try

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers / Rocket helmet
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Taunt

this way sableye can't taunt you and other Deo D will have a harder time setting up there hazards. Thunderwave Imo isn't as useful because leads are most likely something like Genesect Ttar Scizor which it won't care about the para or it upturns/bugbuzz to switch or ko you

Gimmick

Electric potential
Changes have been confirmed!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! The team runs much more smoothly. Reliance on Dragonite has gone way down for water resisting and Heatran is not a problem anymore. My Gyarados problem has been solved and Tentacruel is much easier to deal with.

Summary of Changes

Now a Scarf Latios:

- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spe4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Moveset: Fire PunchSuperpower

One other thing you could do with Genesect's EVs is run 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe. That spread grants a bonus point to Attack upon getting a Download boost, so you sacrifice 1 SpA for 2 Atk. Minor, but it adds a little bit more juice to U-turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)