Rainy Days (UU Rain Team)

Rainy Days
Hello Smogon, this is my first thread, as I've just been a lurker here for a while. I decided to make this team when the new legendaries were introduced to UU, and since Tornadus benefited in rain for the 100% accuracy hurricane, and UU is full of swift swim threats anyway, I decided to make a rain team while utilizing the new Mew as the rain starter. Using this team, I win 75% of my battles, though it may just be that I'm a bad battler. I'd like to improve this team, so I decided to post it out there. Suggestions would be nice, and possibly a luvdisc as well? <3 But without further ado, here is the team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Uxie
Item: Damp Rock
Ability: Synchronize
Rain Dance
Magic Coat
Stealth Rock
U-Turn
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)

Set Idea from Silvershadow234. I chose Uxie as my lead, as it has beast defenses. It functions as a bulky weather starter and sort of anti-lead. You usually just do a magic coat on the opposing lead if a defensive Pokemon like Froslass, bounce back their taunt or hazards, set up Stealth Rocks, and Rain Dance. Remember to set up Rocks FIRST, for if you do it after rain then you waste one turn of rain, which may seem okay, but could still be gamechanging. Even if none of the opposing team Pokemon are weak to stealth rocks, set it up anyway, and if you predict a switch you can try doing it. Usually just do a rain dance and then U-turn out to one of the sweepers. The Damp Rock is for improving the rain of course, which is what Uxie was meant to do anyway. The EV spread is meant to be able to take hits while possibly out-speeding the opponent as well. I love using Magic Coat on a Froslass and watching the taunt bounce back. >:D So evil.

Tornadus
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Hurricane
Superpower
Rain Dance
Taunt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+ Spe, -SpD)

Set idea from Pokemazter. Tornadus is one of my teams three rain sweepers, and he is played mostly at the end of a match, though he is good in the middle as well. With his Hurricane having 100% accuracy in the Rain, he is a BEAST. With Superpower being his only physical attack, he can use it with no fear of Hurricane diminishing in power. He can now also set up his own Rain Dance, not relying on Mew anymore. Taunt is for the annoying paralyzes and poisons that Tornadus hates. The EV spread is pretty self-explanatory.

Kingdra
Ability: Swift Swim
Hydro Pump
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)​

One of the threats you would most expect on a Rain Team, the typical Kingdra with Swift Swim. The Hydro Pump does insane damage under the rain with STAB, and can OHKO many opponents. All of Kingdra's attacks are STAB, with Draco Meteor as a last resort if rain isn't up, Dragon Pulse in case an enemy survives with a slither of health and you don't want to risk missing, and HP Electric is for the annoying bulky water types. Life Orb does extra damage, which is never terrible, and the EVs are simple, just trying to be as powerful and fast as possible.​

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
Thunder
Volt-Switch
Hidden Power Grass
Roost
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)​

Set Idea from Pokemazter. The Thunder Bird, Zapdos, can either be used offensively or defensively. I chose Offensive, for that's what this team is. A STAB Thunder with 100% Accuracy in the rain is amazingly powerful. Volt-Switch is for the offensive momentum you get with switching, Hidden Power Grass for the annoying Ground Types coming in and trying to resist that Thunder, and Roost for the recovery. The EVs are trying to be as fast and powerful as possible.

Ludicolo
Surf
Giga Drain
Rain Dance
Ice Beam
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)

Set idea from Silvershadow234. Ludicolo is a great rain sweeper, able to have beastly speed in rain while also keeping up the the offense, and with its STABed Grass moves, it is pretty important to my team. The Life Orb is the usual item for a set like this, and its attacks are pretty much to have as much coverage as possible, while Giga Drain also helps heal off the damage from Life Orb. Rain Dance is to start the typical rain up again, as having 3 rain starters is never bad. The EVs are pretty self-explanatory, having power and speed.​

Kabutops
Waterfall
Rapid Spin
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Hp / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)​

Set idea from Silvershadow234. Kabutops is an OK spinner, but I prefer offense anyway, so a pokemon that could spin but not be purely oriented towards spinning would be good. Rocks would take off 25% of Zapdos and Tornadus every time they switched in, and hazards were just annoying. Waterfall and Stone Edge are for the stab attacks, and Swords Dance is to boost Kabutops attack into insane levels. The EVs are the usual, and I chose Adamant Nature to improve the Attack instead of Jolly, which boosts speed, because the Rain would double Kabutops speed anyway.​

Well, that's the team. It has a lot of room for improvement, but as I'm new to Pokemon I don't exactly know what to add. Suggestions would be highly liked, as I don't exactly know what to add.My team also may have too many life orb users, as my team is now rather frail. Also, I appear to have trouble with status-inducing moves, as I have nothing to switch into when the opponent sends out a Pokemon that is obviously going to go for the status. My main threat right now is another Kingdra, for if my Kingdra doesn't outspeed on the dracometeor I'm dead. But as I said, please suggest some improvements! Thanks for reading.

Importable Version
Magikarp (Uxie) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Magikarp (Tornadus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Taunt

Magikarp (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Rain Dance

Magikarp (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Magikarp (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Magikarp (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

There is one problem with this team. If Mew goes down, you have no other Pokemon for an 8-turn Rain. I suggest Support Tornadus > Specs Tornadus. Support Tornadus can set up Rain Dance with the blink of an eye.

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt

Well, honestly, this team does not actually rely on rain too much, as the only benefits from the rain are the 100% accuracy hurricane and Kingdras swift swim, and Kingdra already has rain dance. I will try out support Tornadus though, thanks for the idea! BTW, how do you get an avatar?

Like A dude said, I think Support Tornadus would be a good addition.

Another suggestion is that you replace Ambipom with Hitmontop.
Hitmontop is far better at abusing priority than Ambipom, plus he can spin. I suggest a mix between smogon's Rapid Spin and TechniTop sets.

Hitmontop @ Fight Gem / Life Orb
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant [+Atk -SpA]
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin / Close Combat / Sucker Punch / Bullet Punch
- Rapid Spin / Close Combat / Sucker Punch / Bullet Punch

This is a set I used on an old OU sun team I had, and it was great. Fake Out guarantees damage and breaks sashes, and a boosted Mach Punch wrecks anything that doesn't resist it. The last 2 moves are sort of filler, Rapid Spin is what you should go for, but if entry hazards don't trouble you, you can go for something else. Close Combat is a reliable STAB that is crazy powerful with a Fight Gem, Sucker Punch helps nail ghosts trying to spinblock, and Bullet Punch is another reliable priority move that can hit ghosts. There are tons of other moves Hitmontop can use, such as Stone Edge, Toxic, Foresight, Aerial Ace, Low Sweep, High Jump Kick, Revenge, or even Triple Kick. You can also opt for a Life Orb if you don't care about recoil and want consistent power for all of you attacks. In the end, it's all up to you how you use it, you can look up the smogon article if you want more info.​

Also, you can change your avatar by going to User CP > Edit Avatar

Thanks for the idea! I've tried it out and it works pretty well. Just a thought, but should Hitmontop have techincian? Also thanks for how to get an avatar.

I'll give a rate for your version of the team, then comment on the rates of others, as there's some things being proposed that shouldn't be.

This is a solid Rain team, however, you lack the diversity to power through threats to rain teams, such as Slowking and Cofagrigus. that same lack of diverse typing will also make it hard for your team to get through bulky Water-type Pokemon if Tornadus is ever to fall. Also, Pokemon like Snorlax and Porygon2 can also provide your team with issues provided Virizion is removed. In order to patch up these issues, I suggest dropping Gorebyss and Ambipom for Zapdos and Blastoise. I also suggest changing Tornadus' set, as a Choice user that relies on weather is typically not the best choice user, as getting it in costs a turn of Rain.

Zapdos brings some much-needed Electric STAB to this team, allowing your team to power through Slowking and the other bulky Water-type Pokemon that may provide your team with issues. Zapdos also gains access to Volt Switch, a handy move that can provide your team with some much needed momentum, much like How Mew and U-Turn function. Zapdos also gives your team some security against opposing Tornadus, who would otherwise take advantage of your Rain, and beat you with it. Both Zapdos and Tornadus form a very powerful offensive core in UU that can power through a lot of walls found in the tier. Now, Blastoise may come as a strange suggestion, but with two Flying-type sweepers on the team, and a team that may have to undergo its fair share of switching, you'll want something to deal with Stealth Rock or Spikes if they ever manage to be strewn across your portion of the field. Blastoise makes for a better spinner on this team than Hitmontop, as it can take advantage of the Rain, and has access to Roar, which may save your team from a stray setup sweeper that gets a little too greedy. I also wanted to emphasize a change on Tornadus' set, as there are better offensive sets that do more for the team. The set I'm going to suggest allows Tornadus to set up its own Rain, all while preventing being set up on.

I also recommend you play your Mew differently, by first always leading with Magic Coat, setting Stealth Rock, then setting Rain. This gives your team the edge by having your own hazards up, preventing the opponent from setting up their hazards, and then allowing you to bring the pain. It seems silly, but the onset of a battle does not need to be right to the punch. Give yourself time to properly initiate a sweep, then go balls-to-the-wall. Setting Stealth Rock is much more important than just weakening Pokemon that carry a weakness to Rock-type moves. Believe it or not, but without Stealth Rock, Kingdra cannot beat opposing Snorlax, and with the extra 12.5% damage, it can. Don't overlook a move just because it may delay a match by a single turn.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Pressure
Timid Nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass
- Roost

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Rain Dish
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Roar

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Prankster
Naive Nature
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Superpower
- Hurricane

Now, regarding the previous rates. That defensive Tornadus set is terrible. Tornadus is not a defensive Pokemon, and it can use most of those moves in an offensive manner, such as setting its own rain to take advantage of, and using Taunt to prevent status users or other Hazard layers (shits on Sableye too) from doing what they do best. Tornadus serves the purpose of an offensive Pokemon , as that's what it does best. With access to Superpower, Tornadus can get past things that would typically wall it. In regards to Hitmontop, Blastoise just does its job on this team better, as it reduces a weakness to opposing Tornadus, takes advantage of the rain, and can potentially burn physical threats. Nothing against Hitmontop or whoever suggested it, but there is a time and a place.

Neat looking team. Good luck.

I'm sad to get rid of Goreybyss, for that thing can completely destroy entire teams. But I will try your suggestions, as you seem to be an expert. I do need a spinner though, and Hitmontop just doesn't seem to be cutting it. But do I need a priority user? That was the purpose of Ambipom and Hitmontop, but I guess Kingdra is fast enough under the rain to serve as one. Also with Gorebyss gone, I decided to replace the Rain Dance on Kingdra with an Ice Beam, for Gorebyss was the only Pokemon on my team with an ice type move. Thanks for the idea!

I tried putting this team on Showdown, but it says I can't have foresight on Blastoise. Any idea why? Also, why have roar when you can have dragon tail?

I tried putting this team on Showdown, but it says I can't have foresight on Blastoise. Any idea why? Also, why have roar when you can have dragon tail?
Blastoise can have Foresight. I'm even using it on mine right now. And Roar can phaze substitutes, which Dragon Tail may not break upon hitting.

It says this:
Your team was rejected for the following reasons:

- Magikarp (Blastoise) can't learn Foresight because it's incompatible with its ability or another move.
:P

ss234

bop.
Hi there. This is a very cool rain team you have here. However, I feel as though it is a little bit too slow and not offensive enough. Blastoise seems to really slow the team down, as with every spin, you are allowing monsters like Raikou to come in and set-up, whereas a great rain team IMO keeps up so much offensive pressure that nothing can set-up. You could also do with some more rain abusers. Both Virizion and Blastoise could be replaced by something that fits your team's style much better.

Kabutops over Blastoise is the first thing you could do. In the rain, with, and a LO, Kabutops's Waterfall hits like a truck, and he's super fast. He also has Rapid Spin if you find the time to do so, and since Waterfall 2HKO's OTR Cofagrgius after SR, he can get the spin off quite easily. Normally I wouldn't recommend Kabutops, as he isn't that good a spinner in UU, so you should mainly use him as an atacker/late-game cleaner than spinner. Also, by going Jolly, you can outspeed Modest/Adamant Kingdra in the rain, which is a major plus for any rain team, as I find Kingdra to be arguably the biggest threat to this playstyle.

Next up is Virizion. Virizion is mainly used for that grass typing, and a resistance to water. However, I find that Ludicolo performs pretty much the same job as Virizion-only better. Ludicolo is super-fast in the rain, and thanks to his grass typing allows you to power through things like Slowking, which are often troublesome for rain teams as pokemazter pointed out. Again, Ludicolo hits like a freight train in the rain, and his Hydro Pump does massive damage to everything, and thanks to his wonderful typing, he can even set-up the rain himself(it never hurts to have 3 rain inducers).

Finally, you could try out Uxie over Mew. It doesn't really matter all that much, but Uxie has better bulk, allowing it to get up both rain and Stealth Rock easier. It also carries all of the moves that you're Mew uses, however, Mew is slightly faster so it's really up to you. Also, I'm not too sure what Ice Beam is hitting. Therefore, I recommend Hidden Power Electric. This hits both Slowking and Empoleon for rather large damage without having to lower your special attack every time with Draco Meteor. Roserade and Shaymin already take massive damage from Dragon Pulse followed by a Draco Meteor anyway-in fact, Draco meteor hits both harder than an Ice Beam.

Here are the sets:

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Magic Coat

GL and I hope I helped.

Well, I like ice beam for the hits I can get off on grass types without having to lower my special attack with draco meteor, but bulky water types are annoying as well, so I'll try out hidden power electric. As for Ludicolo, I didn't actually think of him when building the team, as I was focusing on the new transits. But now that I do I'm pretty sure he'll be better than Virizion anyway. Kabutops is also a good idea, as Blastoise is a bit too defensive for my team. Mew has good speed, but as you said, I think Uxie will be better anyway. The only speed I really needed on Mew was for Magic Coat, and that always goes first anyway. I mostly use Mew for the surprise factor, as opponents almost always go for the taunt, not knowing what to expect. Then I bounce the taunt back and they have to switch out >:D Thanks for the ideas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)