Metang (GP 2/2)

METANG!!
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/metang

QC 3/3.
GP 2/2.

[Overview]
  • barely had any use pre-BW2 but is now a valid check to normal and flying types
  • 60/100/80 means excellent defenses with eviolite
  • steel/psychic is a great typing; emphasis on steel's resistances with neutrality to fighting
  • hardly any offensive presence with base 75 attack so metang can't do much else aside from stealth rock

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Clear Body
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
  • base 100 defense boosted by eviolite makes metang a usable physical wall
  • main draw to this set (and the only reason to use metang) is the steel/psychic typing which stops many of the threatening and common normal and flying types cold; swellow, braviary, cinccino, zangoose
  • no other steel-type can risk switching into fighting-type coverage attacks from the likes of zangoose, ursaring, or braviary while still resisting flying-type attacks from braviary and swellow
  • hazard support in stealth rock
  • meteor mash as STAB, can nab an attack boost
  • earthquake hits fire, electric, and other steels types that resist meteor mash
  • toxic to deal passive damage as metang usually does not do significant damage with its attacks; can catch usual counters on the switch

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EVs and nature are standard; maximum physical bulk
  • clear body doesn't see much use but is neat to avoid random stat drops from abilities such as intimidate
  • with no recovery, wish support from alomomola (who resists fire-type attacks) or lickilicky (with great special bulk) is appreciated
  • pokémon such as ludicolo and SMASHKOAL don't mind coming in and setting up so teammates like grumpig and altaria are ok
  • grumpig and altaria are also cool since they can switch into fire and ground attacks aimed at metang
  • ludicolo and misdreavus are other options for switch-ins for ground-types, such as torterra, and can immediately threaten back
  • carracosta can also switch into fire-type attacks and threaten back with aqua jet
  • most offensive things that are frail and/or slower than the common normal- and flying-types can take advantage of metang's ability to halt them; choice band sawk and emboar as some examples

[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • dual screens, but metang has middling speed & 5 turns aren't that good unless it foregoes defenses with eviolite for light clay; something like gardevoir can do it better
  • pursuit allows metang to trap haunter since it is frail; however, it does not even KO so it does not do much to bulkier ghost and psychic types
  • psych up helps metang deal with substitute + bulk up braviary better by boosting metang's defense and attack and allowing it to break braviary's sub to get a toxic off
  • explosion can be used as a last ditch effort against anything trying to finish off or set up on metang; won't be doing much damage though due to its mechanics since BW
  • magic coat to bounce back random spores and hazards; not really recommended since it's gimmicky and some common stealth rock users threaten metang with earthquake
  • light metal helps metang take on fraxure better, but outside of that, nothing else really uses low kick

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
  • metang is really weak, many things can switch in without taking too much damage
  • things can set up on it (must watch out for toxic):
    • ludicolo (resists steel/eq)
    • gorebyss
    • offensive torkoal (is only 3HKO'd with eq after rocks and can spin metang's rocks)
    • gurdurr
    • throh
    • eelektross (resists steel, immune to eq)
  • strong ground attacks from golurk, torterra, seismitoad
  • fire types such as emboar and rapidash can switch into meteor mash and threaten to KO with flare blitz, but do not appreciate switching into earthquake
  • misdreavus isn't threatened at all and can will-o-wisp
  • most special attackers that can hit metang for strong neutral damage do well; rotom-s can switch into either of its attacks and hit it on its weaker defense stat.

[Overview]

<p>What was once the laughing stock of NU is now a Pokemon with a useful, albeit very small, niche. With a superb Steel / Psychic typing and 60 / 100 / 80 defenses further boosted by Eviolite, Metang sports the ability to do what no other Steel-type in NU can do: take on attacks from Flying- and Normal-types while still being able to tank their Fighting-type coverage attacks. Sadly, this is where all of Metang's glory ends. With a paltry base 75 Attack, Metang has no hope of severely damaging opponents with its easily resisted attacks and must therefore use Toxic for passive damage. Also, like its Steel-type brethren, Metang does not appreciate taking Fire- and Ground-type attacks from fairly common Pokemon such as Emboar and Golurk. Despite this, Metang can still be a welcomed addition to many teams that require its useful ability to stop the aforementioned Flying- and Normal-type Pokemon cold.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Eviolite boosting its stellar base 100 Defense, Metang becomes a usable physical wall. The main draw to this set is its Steel / Psychic typing which allows Metang to check the ubiquitous Normal- and Flying-types in the tier such as Zangoose, Swellow, Braviary, and Cinccino. However, Metang differentiates itself from other Steel-types; while keeping its important resistances, Metang has an additional neutrality to Fighting-type attacks which allows it to take, for example, a Superpower from Braviary or a Close Combat from Zangoose. Zangoose has no hopes of beating Metang as it can only 4HKO Metang while being worn down by Meteor Mash in return.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, Metang can also take advantage of its resistances by having opportunities to support its team with entry hazards in the form of Stealth Rock. Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest STAB move of choice to directly damage its foes while potentially nabbing an Attack boost. For the Fire-, Electric-, and Steel-types that resist Meteor Mash, Metang can hit them for considerable damage with Earthquake instead. However, because of Metang's poor Attack stat, Toxic gives it a way to wear down bulky Pokemon that would otherwise take very little damage from Metang's other attacks. It can also catch many common counters on the switch, such as Ludicolo, who would otherwise be able to set up for free.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread and an Impish nature capitalizes on Metang's physical bulk in order for it to switch into the aforementioned Normal- and Flying-type Pokemon several times. Clear Body does not have many uses but is useful to avoid unexpected stat drops from instances such as Intimidate. Because Metang lacks a form of recovery, Wish support from Pokemon such as Alomomola, who can also switch into Fire-type attacks, is much appreciated in order to increase Metang's longevity. As some Pokemon will try to attack Metang's weaker Special Defense stat, Lickilicky is a great teammate that can sponge attacks coming from such threats while also providing Wish support. In addition, Altaria and bulky Psychic-types, such as Grumpig, prove to be decent teammate options as they fear very little from the many Fire- and Ground-type attacks coming from the likes of offensive Torkoal. Many Ground-type Pokemon that defeat Metang do not have a reliable way to threaten Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Ludicolo, so they are good options for teammates as well. For Fire-types, Carracosta can easily switch into them and threaten back with an Aqua Jet or Waterfall. Finally, Choice Band Sawk and Emboar are offensive teammate options that would appreciate Metang's ability to halt the Normal- and Flying-types that outspeed and KO them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Metang can hardly make great use of other sets, but it does have several utility options in its arsenal that can be considered. With Reflect and Light Screen, Metang can support frail Pokemon, such as Linoone, that need the support to have a chance to set up. However, Metang must have Eviolite to maintain its bulk, and without Light Clay to increase the duration of these moves, five turns of screens are inefficient. As a result, Pokemon such as Gardevoir usually perform this role better. Although situational, Psych Up gives Metang a fighting chance against Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary who would otherwise be able to avoid Toxic with bulky Substitutes and set up on Metang. Metang can also make use of Magic Coat in order to bounce Spore or Sleep Powder back to Amoonguss, Exeggutor, or Tangela while bouncing back Spikes or Stealth Rock from hazard setters. However, many common Stealth Rock users can threaten Metang with Earthquake or another Ground-type attack and Magic Coat becomes a gimmicky and unreliable option. Finally, Metang can use Light Metal as its ability to handle Fraxure better, but hardly any other Pokemon uses Low Kick.</p>

<p>For offensive options, Explosion allows Metang to deal damage to any Pokemon that aims to take out or set up on Metang. However, Explosion is undesirable for a defensive Pokemon and is relatively weak considering Metang's poor Attack and Explosion's mechanics in BW. Pursuit is also a decent option for Metang to trap frail Pokemon such as Haunter, but it fails to even OHKO Haunter which makes it situational as it does not heavily damage bulkier Ghost- and Psychic-types.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>In general, Metang will be threatened by anything carrying a strong super effective attack. Golurk, Torterra, and Seismitoad are Pokemon that can hit Metang with a STAB Ground-type attack. Fire-types, such as Emboar and Rapidash, can switch into Meteor Mash and KO with Flare Blitz, but they do not appreciate switching into Earthquake. Because of Metang's lack of offensive presence, many things can switch in without taking too much damage but must watch out for Toxic. Ludicolo is able to resist either of Metang's attacks and will have a free opportunity to use Rain Dance or attack. Offensive Torkoal, while weak to Earthquake, is only 3HKOed after Stealth Rock and can KO Metang and spin away Stealth Rock. Substitute variants of Gorebyss can avoid Toxic and set up a Shell Smash with relative ease. Gurdurr takes pitiful damage from Metang and can use Bulk Up while recovering damage with Drain Punch; Toxic will also boost Gurdurr's damage output due to Guts. Throh can also use Bulk Up against Metang and defeat it while avoiding Toxic with either Rest or Substitute. Misdreavus takes pitiful damage from either of Metang's attacks and can use Heal Bell to avoid being damaged by Toxic while crippling Metang with Will-O-Wisp in return. Metang will generally do poorly against most special attackers that can use a strong neutral attack; Rotom-S and Eelektross can switch into Metang's attacks and hit it on its weaker Special Defense.</p>

as far as I know, nu qc agrees with metang having a non-joke analysis, but i will talk to them when i have a chance to make sure.

while i am here, might as well comment on the set. i would not use bullet punch / explosion. bullet punch is extremely weak and does less than 20% damage to most pokemon in the tier. that is pretty pathetic... i would much rather use toxic. explosion sounds oo worthy to me; it really is not that good in bw.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I definitely agree with DTC. Metang should be using Toxic in the 4th slot for sure, as it allows it to do something to SubBU Braviary as well as possible Ludicolo switches expecting to get in for free and get off a Rain Dance. Another thing is that Pursuit could go in Other Options so Metang could trap Haunter, who it can force out courtesy of its typing. (Doesn't kill though lol, so mention that) Maybe Psych Up could go in OO as well as another way that Metang could try to deal with SubBulk Up Braviary; when both have equal boosts Metang's Meteor Mash breaks the Subs and can eventually land a Toxic on it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What about Zen Headbutt and Bulldoze / Rock Tomb guys? Zen Headbutt has STAB and hits Poison and Fighting types, giving you a better fighting chance against Emboar, Garbodor, Haunter and Amoonguss (you actually 2HKO CB Emboar most of the times w/o SR yay). The other 2 moves serve as a debuffer for pokes that can set-up on you, so you are not so huge set-up bait. Many offensive pokes dislike having their speed lowered much more than being Toxic'ed.

If Bullet Punch is doing only 20% damage to most of the tier, Bulldoze and Rock Tomb are doing next to nothing to anything. Even though it lowers speed, anything with a Substitute is pretty much safe. Also, Toxic is more detrimental to most things than just -1 Speed.

But yeah, Toxic should be used over Bullet Punch and Explosion. Explosion is awful in BW2 and also isn't fun on defensive Pokemon, so I'd almost say Explosion shouldn't even be mentioned.

as far as I know, nu qc agrees with metang having a non-joke analysis, but i will talk to them when i have a chance to make sure.
that's what razzles told me when i asked him about doing this analysis. it's the only steel that gives no shits about zangoose's close combat while still resisting birds.
Another thing is that Pursuit could go in Other Options so Metang could trap Haunter, who it can force out courtesy of its typing. (Doesn't kill though lol, so mention that)
i was a bit skeptical about pursuit because it's just pitiful except for that one case with haunter, but i can mention it since it works in that case.
Maybe Psych Up could go in OO as well as another way that Metang could try to deal with SubBulk Up Braviary; when both have equal boosts Metang's Meteor Mash breaks the Subs and can eventually land a Toxic on it.
oops, overlooked that move. i was thinking about it but i guess it slipped my mind. it's sort of situational like pursuit but definitely an option i suppose.

i will edit in the stuff dtc and ebeast mentioned unless someone says otherwise. for pursuit and psych up in OO, i'll just emphasize how they're very situational and see very little use outside of the aforementioned examples. but should i leave a mention of bullet punch anywhere at all?

thanks guys. :)

edit: added said suggestions.
edit2: when i have time, i'll expand on teammate options a little more; i'll put in lickilicky as another wish support pokémon that has special bulk, ludicolo and misdreavus for ground-types that usually don't have a way to threaten them, and note alomomola's resistance to fire-type attacks.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • I'd make sure to mention the specific threats that Metang doesn't lose to, so things like Cinccino, Braviary, Zangoose. Metang does very well against most normal-types, and this needs a huge huge huge mention.
  • For teammates, I'd add things that struggle against normal-types. Most frail sweepers appreciate metangs ability to beat them 1v1. (+6 SubBU Braviary 2HKOs, but meteor mash breaks subs no problem.
  • I wouldn't mention Hone Claws, its terrible.
  • In checks and counters I would mention that most special attackers do well, since metang is really weak and not that specially bulky

Metang is a pretty simple mon, I'll let QC look at it a bit more before I approve it. Other than an expansion on teammates I don't think this needs much else.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>What was once the laughing stock of NU is now a Pokemon with a useful, albeit very small, niche. With a superb Steel/Psychic typing and 60/100/80 defenses further boosted by Eviolite, Metang sports the ability to do what no other Steel-type in NU can do: take on attacks from Flying- and Normal-types while still being able to tank their Fighting-type coverage attacks. Sadly, this is where all of Metang's glory ends. With a paltry base 75 attack, Metang has no hope of severely damaging opponents with its easily resisted attacks and must therefore use Toxic for passive damage. Also, like its Steel-type brethren, Metang does not appreciate taking Fire- and Ground-type attacks from fairly common Pokemon such as Emboar and Golurk. Despite this, Metang can still be a welcomed addition to many teams that require its useful ability to stop the aforementioned Flying- and Normal-type Pokemon cold.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Eviolite boosting its stellar base 100 Defense, Metang becomes a usable physical wall. The main draw to this set is its Steel/Psychic typing which allows Metang to check the ubiquitous Normal- and Flying-types in the tier such as Zangoose, Swellow, Braviary, and Cinccino. However, Metang differentiates itself from other Steel-types; while keeping its important resistances, Metang has an additional neutrality to Fighting-type attacks which allows it to take, for example, a Superpower from Braviary or a Close Combat from Zangoose. Zangoose has no hopes of beating Metang as it can only 4HKO Metang while being worn down by Meteor Mash in return.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, Metang can also take advantage of its resistances by having opportunities to support its team with entry hazards in the form of Stealth Rock. Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest STAB move of choice to directly damage its foes while potentially nabbing an Attack boost. For the Fire-, Electric-, and Steel-types that resist Meteor Mash, Metang can hit them for considerable damage with Earthquake instead. However, because of Metang's poor Attack stat, Toxic gives it a way to wear down bulky Pokémon that would otherwise take very little damage from Metang's other attacks. It can also catch many common counters on the switch, such as Ludicolo, who would otherwise be able to set up for free.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread and an Impish nature capitalizes on Metang's physical bulk in order for it to switch into the aforementioned Normal- and Flying-type Pokemon several times in the match. Clear Body does not have many uses but is useful to avoid unexpected stat drops from something instances such as like Intimidate. Since Metang lacks a form of recovery, Wish support from Pokemon such as Alomomola, who can also switch into Fire-type attacks, is much appreciated in order to increase Metang's longevity. Since some Pokemon will try to attack Metang's weaker Special Defense stat, Lickilicky is a great teammate that can sponge attacks coming from such threats while also providing Wish support. In addition, Altaria and bulky Psychic-types, such as Grumpig, prove to be decent teammate options since as they fear very little from the many Fire- and Ground-type attacks coming from the likes of offensive Torkoal. Many Ground-type Pokemon that defeat Metang do not have a reliable way to threaten Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Ludicolo, so they are good options for teammates as well. For Fire-types, Carracosta can easily switch into them and threaten back with an Aqua Jet or Waterfall. Finally, Choice Band Sawk and Emboar are offensive teammate options that would appreciate Metang's ability to halt the Normal- and Flying-types that outspeed and KO them.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Metang can hardly make great use of other sets, but it does have several utility options at its arsenal that can be considered. With Reflect and Light Screen, Metang can support frail Pokemon, such as Linoone, that need the support to have a chance to set up. However, Metang must have Eviolite to maintain its bulk, and without Light Clay to increase the duration of these moves, five turns of screens are inefficient. As a result, Pokemon such as Gardevoir usually perform this role better. Although situational, Psych Up gives Metang a fighting chance against Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary who would otherwise be able to avoid Toxic with bulky Substitutes and set up on Metang. Metang can also make use of Magic Coat in order to bounce a Spore or Sleep Powder back to Amoonguss, Exeggutor, or Tangela while bouncing back Spikes or Stealth Rock from hazard setters. However, many common Stealth Rock users can threaten Metang with Earthquake or another Ground-type attack and therefore makes Magic Coat becomes a gimmicky and unreliable option. Finally, Metang can use Light Metal as its ability to handle Fraxure better, but hardly any other Pokemon uses Low Kick.</p>

<p>For offensive move options, Explosion allows Metang to deal damage to any Pokemon that aims to take out or set up on Metang. However, Explosion is undesirable for a defensive Pokémon and is relatively weak considering Metang's poor Attack stat and Explosion's mechanics in BW since B/W. Pursuit is also a decent option for Metang to trap something frail Pokemon such as Haunter, but it fails to even OHKO Haunter which makes it situational since it does not heavily damage bulkier Ghost- and Psychic- types.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>In general, Metang will be threatened by anything carrying a strong super effective attack. Golurk, Torterra, and Seismitoad are such Pokemon that can hit Metang with a STAB Ground-type attack. Fire-types, such as Emboar and Rapidash, can switch into Meteor Mash and KO with Flare Blitz, but they do not appreciate switching into Earthquake. Because of Metang's lack of offensive presence, many things can switch in without taking too much damage but must watch out for Toxic. Ludicolo is able to resist either of Metang's attacks and will have a free opportunity to use Rain Dance or attack. Offensive Torkoal, while weak to Earthquake, is only 3HKOed after Stealth Rock and can KO Metang and spin away Stealth Rock hazards. Substitute variants of Gorebyss can avoid Toxic and set up a Shell Smash with relative ease. Gurdurr takes pitiful damage from Metang and can use Bulk Up while recovering damage with Drain Punch; Toxic will also boost Gurdurr's damage output due to Guts. Throh can also use Bulk Up against Metang and defeat it while avoiding Toxic with either Rest or Substitute. Misdreavus takes pitiful damage from either of Metang's attacks and can use Heal Bell to avoid being damaged crippled by Toxic while crippling Metang with Will-O-Wisp in return. Metang will generally do poorly against most special attackers that can use a strong neutral attack; Rotom-S and Eelektross can switch into Metang's attacks and hit it on its weaker Special Defense stat.</p>

Pokemon has no accent

GP Approved 1/2

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DeleteAdd

[Overview]

<p>What was once the laughing stock of NU is now a Pokemon with a useful, albeit very small, niche. With a superb Steel/(space)/(space)Psychic typing and 60/100/(space)/(space)100(space)/(space)80 defenses further boosted by Eviolite, Metang sports the ability to do what no other Steel-type in NU can do: take on attacks from Flying- and Normal-types while still being able to tank their Fighting-type coverage attacks. Sadly, this is where all of Metang's glory ends. With a paltry base 75 aAttack, Metang has no hope of severely damaging opponents with its easily resisted attacks and must therefore use Toxic for passive damage. Also, like its Steel-type brethren, Metang does not appreciate taking Fire- and Ground-type attacks from fairly common Pokemon such as Emboar and Golurk. Despite this, Metang can still be a welcomed addition to many teams that require its useful ability to stop the aforementioned Flying- and Normal-type Pokemon cold.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Eviolite boosting its stellar base 100 Defense, Metang becomes a usable physical wall. The main draw to this set is its Steel/(space)/(space)Psychic typing which allows Metang to check the ubiquitous Normal- and Flying-types in the tier such as Zangoose, Swellow, Braviary, and Cinccino. However, Metang differentiates itself from other Steel-types; while keeping its important resistances, Metang has an additional neutrality to Fighting-type attacks which allows it to take, for example, a Superpower from Braviary or a Close Combat from Zangoose. Zangoose has no hopes of beating Metang as it can only 4HKO Metang while being worn down by Meteor Mash in return.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, Metang can also take advantage of its resistances by having opportunities to support its team with entry hazards in the form of Stealth Rock. Meteor Mash is Metang's strongest STAB move of choice to directly damage its foes while potentially nabbing an Attack boost. For the Fire-, Electric-, and Steel-types that resist Meteor Mash, Metang can hit them for considerable damage with Earthquake instead. However, because of Metang's poor Attack stat, Toxic gives it a way to wear down bulky Pokéemon that would otherwise take very little damage from Metang's other attacks. It can also catch many common counters on the switch, such as Ludicolo, who would otherwise be able to set up for free.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread and an Impish nature capitalizes on Metang's physical bulk in order for it to switch into the aforementioned Normal- and Flying-type Pokemon several times in the match. Clear Body does not have many uses, but is useful to avoid unexpected stat drops from instances such as Intimidate. SincBecause Metang lacks a form of recovery, Wish support from Pokemon, such as Alomomola, who can also switch into Fire-type attacks, is much appreciated in order to increase Metang's longevity. SinceAs some Pokemon will try to attack Metang's weaker Special Defense stat, Lickilicky is a great teammate that can sponge attacks coming from such threats while also providing Wish support. In addition, Altaria and bulky Psychic-types, such as Grumpig, prove to be decent teammate options since as they fear very little from the many Fire- and Ground-type attacks coming from the likes of offensive Torkoal. Many Ground-type Pokemon that defeat Metang do not have a reliable way to threaten Pokemon such as Misdreavus or Ludicolo, so they are good options for teammates as well. For Fire-types, Carracosta can easily switch into them and threaten back with an Aqua Jet or Waterfall. Finally, Choice Band Sawk and Emboar are offensive teammate options that would appreciate Metang's ability to halt the Normal- and Flying-types that outspeed and KO them.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONSther Options]

<p>Metang can hardly make great use of other sets, but it does have several utility options atin its arsenal that can be considered. With Reflect and Light Screen, Metang can support frail Pokemon, such as Linoone, that need the support to have a chance to set up. However, Metang must have Eviolite to maintain its bulk, and without Light Clay to increase the duration of these moves, five turns of screens are inefficient. As a result, Pokemon such as Gardevoir usually perform this role better. Although situational, Psych Up gives Metang a fighting chance against Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary who would otherwise be able to avoid Toxic with bulky Substitutes and set up on Metang. Metang can also make use of Magic Coat in order to bounce a Spore or Sleep Powder back to Amoonguss, Exeggutor, or Tangela while bouncing back Spikes or Stealth Rock from hazard setters. However, many common Stealth Rock users can threaten Metang with Earthquake or another Ground-type attack, and therefore Magic Coat becomes a gimmicky and unreliable option. Finally, Metang can use Light Metal as its ability to handle Fraxure better, but hardly any other Pokemon uses Low Kick.</p>

<p>For offensive options, Explosion allows Metang to deal damage to any Pokemon that aims to take out or set up on Metang. However, Explosion is undesirable for a defensive Pokémon and is relatively weak considering Metang's poor Attack and Explosion's mechanics in BW. Pursuit is also a decent option for Metang to trap frail Pokemon, such as Haunter, but it fails to even OHKO Haunter which makes it situational sinceas it does not heavily damage bulkier Ghost- and Psychic- types.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERShecks and Counters]

<p>In general, Metang will be threatened by anything carrying a strong super effective attack. Golurk, Torterra, and Seismitoad are such Pokémon that can hit Metang with a STAB Ground-type attack. Fire-types, such as Emboar and Rapidash, can switch into Meteor Mash and KO with Flare Blitz, but they do not appreciate switching into Earthquake. Because of Metang's lack of offensive presence, many things can switch in without taking too much damage, but must watch out for Toxic. Ludicolo is able to resist either of Metang's attacks and will have a free opportunity to use Rain Dance or attack. Offensive Torkoal, while weak to Earthquake, is only 3HKOed after Stealth Rock and can KO Metang and spin away Stealth Rock. Substitute variants of Gorebyss can avoid Toxic and set up a Shell Smash with relative ease. Gurdurr takes pitiful damage from Metang and can use Bulk Up while recovering damage with Drain Punch; Toxic will also boost Gurdurr's damage output due to Guts. Throh can also use Bulk Up against Metang and defeat it while avoiding Toxic with either Rest or Substitute. Misdreavus takes pitiful damage from either of Metang's attacks and can use Heal Bell to avoid being damaged by Toxic, while crippling Metang with Will-O-Wisp in return. Metang will generally do poorly against most special attackers that can use a strong neutral attack; Rotom-S and Eelektross can switch into Metang's attacks and hit it on its weaker Special Defense.</p>

GP Approved 2/2

added redew's check and caught some other minor careless mistakes with random spaces/accents and whatnot. thank you. :)

this should be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)