Pokemon Trick Room Team

Newbie Trick Room Team...

Yes, I know I'm not good at formatting... but I don't care, lol. I haven't been in the Pokemon metagame since Gold and Silver; I guess it wore out on me after that. My friends pressured me to get White 2, and I'm really starting to enjoy the metagame again. I attempted to build a Trick Room team, and my first attempt got swept. Now I have reorganized the entire party to accommodate for as many counters as possible without changing the focus of my team. I followed some advice for the Pokemon in my party that Smogon covered to try to make this team work.

The Team:
Whimsicott:

Nature: Bold
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Moves:
Trick Room
Leech Seed
Substitute
Taunt

Before you say "Whimsicott has high speed, so why would you make him a Trick Room setter?", let me explain. First, I needed a setter that wasn't weak to Dark or Ghost types, because I can't afford for my setters to get swept. Second, Whimsicott gives me options, and I don't have to risk throwing out a setter or a late game sweeper against a counter (my team will get crushed if I do). Taunt, Leech Seed, and Substitute are obvious picks, but why Trick Room, you may ask? Well, this set allows me to subseed with Whimsicott, taunt the opponent, and depending on which Pokemon they have out, I can either use trick room, take the last hit, and send out one of my trick room sweepers, or take the last hit and send out one of my regular sweepers. My team is designed to take on whatever counter may come my way (well, it's supposed to be designed that way).

Reuniclus:

Nature: Quiet
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's:
192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Moves:
Trick Room
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Reuniclus was my second choice for a Trick Room setter, because I read that he was most recommended to be one. His massive special attack is perfect for sweeping right after Trick Room is used, and I made sure he has good move type coverage with the 3 STAB's below. Not much to say here.

Scrafty:

Nature: Sassy
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Moves:
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Crunch
Rest

Honestly, I didn't know whether to go for Moxie or Shed Skin. Sure, the attack bonus for Moxie is really nice, but i don't feel Scrafty is the type of Pokemon to be taking advantage of such a bonus, because he's more of a defensive Pokemon. If Reuniclus runs into a dark or ghost counter, all I have to do is switch to Scrafty, take a hit, and destroy the counter (unless they switch out). The idea for this move set is simple; Bulk Up a few times, Rest, then sweep if possible.

Chandelure:

Nature: Rash
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Moves:
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
Energy Ball

Chandelure can be extremely fragile from the looks of it, but he's perfect to switch into after Whimsicott is done for. Assuming Whimsicott sets up Trick Room right before he dies, Chandelure can take over and safely sweep due to his massive special attack.

Terrakion:

Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
Close Combat
Stone Edge
X-Scissor
Quick Attack

Terrakion is mainly the Go-2 guy in my group. You may be wondering why he's in a Trick Room team if he has such high speed, but what if I don't use Trick Room on my opponent with Whimsicott because they have counters out for it, or they somehow kill Whimsicott before I can pull it off? I can simply just switch into my Terrakion, sweep the counters, and then I'll be safe to use Trick Room when he's done for. Also, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of sweepers with bad speed if my setters die; I want backup.

Starmie:

Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:
Scald
Toxic
Rapid Spin
Recover

A Defensive Starmie?! Yes, and I understand that most people use an offensive Starmie with Rapid Spin, but what this team is in desperate need of is a spinner and a way to get rid of Blissey, Snorlax, and Skarmory counters, because I will not be able to cause massive damage if their team stalls my Trick Room attempt. Starmie has the bulk to take some hits, and with its signature move, recover, its defenses become more deadly. Toxic can put some damage on Blissey and Snorlax counters, while Scald can put some damage on Skarmory counters with its 30% chance of burn. Rapid Spin is there as expected, to get rid of Spikes teams.

Please provide constructive criticism only. I'd prefer not to hear things like "You suck at team building", or "You should stop playing Pokemon", etc. I know I'm still new to the current metagame, and that's why I'm here. I want to know what I can do to make my team better. Thank you.

Hello!

I was just about to type up the RMT for my own Trick Room team. I condone the use, good work!

That being said, I don't know that this team best uses Trick Room to its ability. For one, Whimisicott is an incredibly fragile thing, it will often be KO'ed while trying to set up Trick Room. Second, you have Chandelure and, to a much lesser extent, Scrafty to abuse is all. Two Trick Room abusers doesn't really warrant 2 Trick Room setters. Here are my suggestions, and it changes the team a bit but I think it's still very much on the path you wanted to get at.

1) Change Whimsicott for Sableye. Sableye also has Prankster, but has access to Will-o-Wisp and Recovery, making him a great switch in to weaken physical attackers. He will be a better benefit to the entirety of your team than the Trick Room potential of Whimsicott.

2) Switch Chandelure for Heatran. Sure, Heatran doesn't have quite the move pool as Chandelure, but he's also much, much bulkier. Additionally, when people see Heatran in this metagame they assume it's defensive. An offensive, Specs Heatran will wreck many people.

You still have the best abuser-setter in the game in Trick Room Reuniclus, as well as Scrafty with great synergy to switch in behind Reuniclus and abuse it for a quick Bulk Up.

Great effort and welcome! I hope to continue to see you around!

Here are the sets for Heatran and Sableye

Sableye @ Leftovers
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
Calm
~Will-o-Wisp
~Recover
~Taunt
~Night Shade/Foul Play

Heatran @ Choice Specs
252 SpA/4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Modest/Timid (Timid outspeeds common Gliscors)
~Overheat
~Dragon Pulse
~Earth Power
~Hidden Power [Grass]

Hello!

I was just about to type up the RMT for my own Trick Room team. I condone the use, good work!

That being said, I don't know that this team best uses Trick Room to its ability. For one, Whimisicott is an incredibly fragile thing, it will often be KO'ed while trying to set up Trick Room. Second, you have Chandelure and, to a much lesser extent, Scrafty to abuse is all. Two Trick Room abusers doesn't really warrant 2 Trick Room setters. Here are my suggestions, and it changes the team a bit but I think it's still very much on the path you wanted to get at.

1) Change Whimsicott for Sableye. Sableye also has Prankster, but has access to Will-o-Wisp and Recovery, making him a great switch in to weaken physical attackers. He will be a better benefit to the entirety of your team than the Trick Room potential of Whimsicott.

2) Switch Chandelure for Heatran. Sure, Heatran doesn't have quite the move pool as Chandelure, but he's also much, much bulkier. Additionally, when people see Heatran in this metagame they assume it's defensive. An offensive, Specs Heatran will wreck many people.

You still have the best abuser-setter in the game in Trick Room Reuniclus, as well as Scrafty with great synergy to switch in behind Reuniclus and abuse it for a quick Bulk Up.

Great effort and welcome! I hope to continue to see you around!

Here are the sets for Heatran and Sableye

Sableye @ Leftovers
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
Calm
~Will-o-Wisp
~Recover
~Taunt
~Night Shade/Foul Play

Heatran @ Choice Specs
252 SpA/4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Modest/Timid (Timid outspeeds common Gliscors)
~Overheat
~Dragon Pulse
~Earth Power
~Hidden Power [Grass]
Thanks :) I wasn't thinking of Sableye, but it seems like a better option, as well as Heatran's offenses. I think I have an idea :)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey there and really cool Trick Room team you got going on here, so I'm going to rate this one to the best of my ability. Trick Room is very hard to pull of in this metagame with tons of threats such as Tornadus Therian and friends, but you seem to have created just an amazing team, so I give you kudos for doing so! Anyways, before kicking off this rate, I would like for you to take some deep considerationfor my changes and give them a try before commenting on them. With all that said, it's time to rate this team! When I take a real hard glance over your team, I don't find any real glaring weaknesses, so I'm going to suggest quite a few EV and try and change up some of your sets. Okay, first off, while Scrafty is a rare and surprising Pokemon to have on a team, I don't really think that it's really cut out for bring on a Trick Room team, so I suggest that you try out a Bulk Up Conkeldurr. Now, due to Conkeldurrs low speed, it is somewhat common in Trick Room teams. In addition, Conkeldurr has tons of offensive power and arguably more bulk than Scrafty, so I suggest that you give it a try. Moving on, I suggest using a Choice Scarf Salamence in place of your current Terrakion. Why use Salamence you ask? Well, when once your Trick Room sweepers have done their job, you can easily send in this guy to finish off the weakened opponent. Also, due to the presence of having an attack stat 6 points higher than Terrakion, it can deal some serious damage, while picking up a Moxie boost after each kill. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I really hope that my advice helped and you give them a try. Have fun and good luck with your team! Again, props for using Trick Room!

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Guts

Nature: Brave - EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef

- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Drain Punch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Moxie

Nature: Naive - EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Hey there and really cool Trick Room team you got going on here, so I'm going to rate this one to the best of my ability. Trick Room is very hard to pull of in this metagame with tons of threats such as Tornadus Therian and friends, but you seem to have created just an amazing team, so I give you kudos for doing so! Anyways, before kicking off this rate, I would like for you to take some deep considerationfor my changes and give them a try before commenting on them. With all that said, it's time to rate this team! When I take a real hard glance over your team, I don't find any real glaring weaknesses, so I'm going to suggest quite a few EV and try and change up some of your sets. Okay, first off, while Scrafty is a rare and surprising Pokemon to have on a team, I don't really think that it's really cut out for bring on a Trick Room team, so I suggest that you try out a Bulk Up Conkeldurr. Now, due to Conkeldurrs low speed, it is somewhat common in Trick Room teams. In addition, Conkeldurr has tons of offensive power and arguably more bulk than Scrafty, so I suggest that you give it a try. Moving on, I suggest using a Choice Scarf Salamence in place of your current Terrakion. Why use Salamence you ask? Well, when once your Trick Room sweepers have done their job, you can easily send in this guy to finish off the weakened opponent. Also, due to the presence of having an attack stat 6 points higher than Terrakion, it can deal some serious damage, while picking up a Moxie boost after each kill. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I really hope that my advice helped and you give them a try. Have fun and good luck with your team! Again, props for using Trick Room!

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Guts

Nature: Brave - EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef

- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Drain Punch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Moxie

Nature: Naive - EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
I'm probably gonna end up giving Conkeldurr a shot. He's a counter to most trick room teams anyway. I'll give Salamence some considerations, though I will say I'm a bit more of a fan of Haxorus x) Trick Room is such a hard team... I've been endlessly trying to figure out how to make it work.

I can help with your team man.

First, I've had experience with Scrafty in the past, and it just struggles to get those crucial KOs that Trick Room needs. Plus from looking at your Scrafty's EVs it really will struggle to get KOs within the 3-4 Turns of Trick Room. For your pyshical sweeper on your team I suggest Toxic Orb Conkeldurr. The reason is, with Guts you reach a higher attacking stat that will take Scrafty at least 4 turns to achieve. Your team struggles against the special walls in the OU, like Blissey, Ferrothorn, Volcorano, and Chansey, plus Glisxor is also a problem I see as well. With a STAB Hammer Arm, those Blissey and Chansey are no longer a problem.

Set

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
Trait: Guts
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SPDef
Hammer Arm
Mach Punch
Ice Punch
Facade

You have to remember, you're running against the Trick Room time of 4 turns. You need to have Sweeper Pokemon that can really punch holes through your opponents teams within the turns of Trick Room and you need the correct EV nature to help with this. If you have a Trick Room sweeper with the wrong Nature then your Pokemon will struggle.

Chandelure in my opinion is too fast for Trick Room, many Pokemon under base 70 with no Speed invested EVs will be out running Chandelure under Trick Room, which will be a problem during your match. You need a Dragon and Genesect check on your team. I suggest an Air Baloon Heatran With Heatran, Scizor and now Genesect are a nuisance to Trick Room teams, b/c most Trixk Room users are weak to their STAB Bug moves. Your team also has a problem with powerful STAB moves from Garchomp, Haxarous, Latios, Latias, etc. With a Steel type on your team you resist them and can KO or 2HKO with Hidden Power Ice.
SET
Heatran @ Air Baloon
Quiet Nature [+Sp Attack, -Speed]
Trait: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD
Taunt
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice

I also see you don't have a member on your team with Stealth Rock?! The difference between 2HKO and OHKO is the entry hazards on the field. Stealth Rock is necessary with Trick Room teams b/c your sweepers will have a much easier time getting those crucial KOs. That's why I suggest as your new lead is Focus Sash Smeragle. Since Smeragle, can learn every Pokemon in existence, he has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and the incredible Trick Room. With Smeragle as your lead you are probably guaranteed a chance to set up Trick Room, and then the next turn take your opponent with you or set up the entry hazards.

SET

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd [Lvl.1]
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Rage

I also see that you are having a problem with Rain teams. I see you don't have a Pokemon that can counter Thundurus-T. Starmie isn't heling your team at all. I'm sorry if that is a little rude.

I'll finish the RMT later, it's late where I am.

I can help with your team man.

First, I've had experience with Scrafty in the past, and it just struggles to get those crucial KOs that Trick Room needs. Plus from looking at your Scrafty's EVs it really will struggle to get KOs within the 3-4 Turns of Trick Room. For your pyshical sweeper on your team I suggest Toxic Orb Conkeldurr. The reason is, with Guts you reach a higher attacking stat that will take Scrafty at least 4 turns to achieve. Your team struggles against the special walls in the OU, like Blissey, Ferrothorn, Volcorano, and Chansey, plus Glisxor is also a problem I see as well. With a STAB Hammer Arm, those Blissey and Chansey are no longer a problem.

Set

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
Trait: Guts
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SPDef
Hammer Arm
Mach Punch
Ice Punch
Facade

You have to remember, you're running against the Trick Room time of 4 turns. You need to have Sweeper Pokemon that can really punch holes through your opponents teams within the turns of Trick Room and you need the correct EV nature to help with this. If you have a Trick Room sweeper with the wrong Nature then your Pokemon will struggle.

Chandelure in my opinion is too fast for Trick Room, many Pokemon under base 70 with no Speed invested EVs will be out running Chandelure under Trick Room, which will be a problem during your match. You need a Dragon and Genesect check on your team. I suggest an Air Baloon Heatran With Heatran, Scizor and now Genesect are a nuisance to Trick Room teams, b/c most Trixk Room users are weak to their STAB Bug moves. Your team also has a problem with powerful STAB moves from Garchomp, Haxarous, Latios, Latias, etc. With a Steel type on your team you resist them and can KO or 2HKO with Hidden Power Ice.
SET
Heatran @ Air Baloon
Quiet Nature [+Sp Attack, -Speed]
Trait: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD
Taunt
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice

I also see you don't have a member on your team with Stealth Rock?! The difference between 2HKO and OHKO is the entry hazards on the field. Stealth Rock is necessary with Trick Room teams b/c your sweepers will have a much easier time getting those crucial KOs. That's why I suggest as your new lead is Focus Sash Smeragle. Since Smeragle, can learn every Pokemon in existence, he has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and the incredible Trick Room. With Smeragle as your lead you are probably guaranteed a chance to set up Trick Room, and then the next turn take your opponent with you or set up the entry hazards.

SET

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd [Lvl.1]
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Rage

I also see that you are having a problem with Rain teams. I see you don't have a Pokemon that can counter Thundurus-T. Starmie isn't heling your team at all. I'm sorry if that is a little rude.

I'll finish the RMT later, it's late where I am.
These are definitely changes I need to consider. I've been surfacing using Conkeldurr for awhile now. The only thing that has been stopping me is that I can't trade anybody at all to get him because I don't have anybody nearby who plays Pokemon... Also, I just got back into Pokemon with White 2, so if the only way I can obtain a Smeargle is through getting it from the Gen 2 remakes, then I don't have him as an option (and how am I supposed to get him to 252 speed EV's and have him still remain at level 1?). I made a new thread in the Trick Room group, I think you should read it over. I had more questions to ask about Trick Room in general, so I took it there because I knew I'd get the best kind of help there.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello !
I feel like helping you since the first team I made was a trick room.. and guess what the team was :
Wimsicott
Reuniclus
Cofagrigus
Heatran
Conkeldurr
Ferrothorn

To give you some fresh ideas I dare explain you a little this team.
Whimsicott was similar to yours, but I had Leftovers over Focus Sash. Simply because Whimsicott can take some hits and stall with Leech/Sub. And anyway, the atacks he can't take are like always tanked by Heatran easily. With the Leftover+Leech Seed combo, you'll force switchs easily, and this is an opportunity for you to set Substitute and Trick Room/Leech Seed again according to the situation.
I can only support what has been said, Conkeldurr/Guts is a beast, however I'd opt for an all out atacker like sciztar, but with Drain Punch on Hammer Arm, simply because when your Conkeldurr is "faster" the heal granted allows you to survive some extra turns and can save your Conkeldurr for later.

About Heatran it's been a long time, and I was using a Specs set similar to what Absolete proposed. However just do not use Overheat. Your trick room turns are precious, wasting it in switching is just what your enemy wants to do, don't make it easier for him. I'd go for Eruption, the raw power of this thing is just insane.

About Salamence as late game cleaner, I agree this is probably the best pokemon for it.

By the way, Ferrothorn may seem out of place in the classical offensive Trick Room. But don't be fooled, I was using a set like GyroBall/PowerWhip/SR/Explosion and this was really strong. With max Atk, 0IV Speed and the Brave Nature, the GyroBall hits like a truck. Moreover don't forget that most people will exactly know that you're using a TrickRoom team at first glance. Having an unexpected sweeper like Ferrothorn (or Donphan for instance), helps to grab more kills than you could think in the first place.

Cofagrigus was a Nasty Plot Trick Room setter, but it wasn't so great when I look back at it. Most of the time you can only set Trick Room and die, or give a hit, I believe there are better setters for this purpose.

If I had to "remake" my team why all the things I learned I'd go for :
Reuniclus
Conkeldurr
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Salamence
Azelf @ Focus Sash (just for the TrickRoom + Explosion to set up perfectly things like Heatran)

*Smeargle could be a great idea (like over Azelf on the team above), but I'd go for Spore over StealthRock and keep SR Ferrothorn since Spore is so good. But this set is really cool and I'll try it aswell.

In my opinion, leave your Starmie, first because the Stalls are not really present, and anyway if your TrickRoom doesn't have enough raw power to break these things you must be doing something wrong. However I must admit when I started playing my own team I had issues with Stall, it was mostly because I was not playing good at all, trying to set the room at all cost and doing bad predictions.

I hope I helped !

Try memento on your Whimsicott. it'd get chandelure in Safely and may give a turn for setup.

Cband Victini with Vgenerate may work instead of Chandelure, way bulkier and Vgen drops Speed. Vgen/Fusion bolt/Brick break/U turn would work.

If u want a TR setter who's not weak to dark or ghost, pick Porygon 2. P2 can take any dark type attacks that isn't boosted +3. And way bulkier than any other TR setters due to Recover and Evolite.
TR/Recover/charge beam or thunderbolt/ice beam. Charge beam is a good choice if you want P2 as sweeper.

Conkeldurr is a good choice to go with TR. If needed, put a Feint in it. TR's arch enemy is Protect, which gobbles up precious time of TR. so get through it. I'd say Bulk up/Drain Punch/Feint/Payback.

Dusclops is weak to both dark and ghost, which sucks. Dusknoir can counter both, but relatively fragile(...) compared to Dusclops.

Rhyperior was one of best TR sweepers in DP/Pt. it has Arm hammer too. so that's worth a try. It wrecks most Special walls. Arm hammer/Stone edge/EQ or 3 punchs or etc... maybe megahorn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)