LC Sand, also my first LC team

This is my first LC team and despite having made this team a few months ago I am looking to get into LC a little bit more, as it seems like a fun tier. I decided to use Sand as it worked well for me in OU and I didn't see why it wouldn't work in LC, and the only real disadvantage it brought is that I have 2 ground types and have some trouble taking high-powered Water moves. Otherwise, my team is not outstanding but it performs well enough, so please share any improvements you can make, and enjoy the team :)

Treecko @ Focus Sash

Trait: Overgrow
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain
- Quick Attack

Treecko is a favorite of mine, and works great as a suicide lead. he can almost always get a KO before going down thanks to his Focus Sash. Treecko usually moves first, and when he does he isn't hitting with overwhelming force, but he is hitting with decent power. once his Focus Sash has been used, he can rip off an insanely powerful Leaf Storm boosted by Overgrow, This is my first LC team, and although I made it months ago I am lloking to get into LC a which, more often than not, lands a KO. Leaf Storm as mentioned is to be used when Overgrow is in effect and a lot of power is needed, otherwise Giga Drain is used to regain HP while KO'ing. Hidden Power Fire takes down Steel and Grass types and Quick Attack allows Treecko to revenge kill and pick off weakened enemies.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 144 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Slack Off

Hippopotas is my bulky sand setter, in addition to being able to phaze and set up SR. Earthquake is STAB and ensures he can't be completely shut down by Taunt, and Stealth Rock needs no explanation. Roar can be used to eliminate enemy boosts, and rack up SR damage on the opposing team, while Slack Off is recovery and gives Hippo longetivity.

Drilbur @ Eviolite

Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

Drilbur is the first of 2 Swords Dance sweepers on this team, and Drilbur has great offenses with SD while maintaining relative bulk with Eviolite. Rock Slide is coerage mainly against Ice and Flying types, while Earthuake is main STAB and works very well for hitting most targets, especially after a SD. Shadow Claw is for hitting common Psychic and Ghost types such as Abra and Misdvreavus.

Abra @ Life Orb

Trait: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Calm Mind

Abra is my special sweeper, and it doesn't take damage from sand or LO thanks to Magic Gaurd, meaning it can usually set up a Calm Mind and sweep. Psychic is main STAB, and Shadow Ball is used to deal with Misdreavus. HP Fighting is for Steel and Dark types, and Calm Mind is great for sweeping and avoiding Pawniard'sand other dark type's Suckerpunch.

Pawniard @ Life Orb

Trait: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Suckerpunch
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
- Night Slash

I love Pawniard, and he works very well with Swords Dance and SuckerPunch, because you never know what it's gonna do. Even withought a SD boost Pawniard is dangerous, and with as common as it is, it is very hard to predict whether it is going to Suckerpunch, Swords Dance, or attack with another move. Suckerpunch is main STAB and works extremely well for remedying his mediocre speed. Swords Dance turns Suckerpunch into a freight train in terms of power, and also makes the other moves in the set hit wuite hard. Night Slash is secondary STAB and Brick Break gets great coverage with Night Slash.

Gastly @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 68 HP / 40 Def / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick

Gastly is my Scarfer, and it rocks late-game, and is also a great revenge killer. Shadow Ball is STAB and is used to hit things like Abra, Misdreavus, other Gastlys, etc. Sludge Bomb is main STAB and hits most things pretty hard. Hidden Power Fighting takes down Steel and Dark types, and Trick is for crippling enemy walls, which usually gets me an Eviolite, or in other cases can be used for sticking Pawniard into Suckerpunch, in which case I usually get a Life Orb.

Heya SentByRavens, its nice to see a new face in LC! Sand is a tried and true playstyle in LC, its nice to see how you deviate from it a bit.

There are lots of small ways that your team could improve. First of all, Pawniard needs eviolite. It is your main check to Snover, who otherwise does a lot of damage to your team. Eviolite really helps with tanking Blizzards and Giga Drain's. I would also recommend adding Pursuit to your pawniard somewhere, most likely over Night Slash.

Now you might be thinking that Night Slash is an important move, but Pursuit has the potential to help you much more. The most important part of it is to hit Snover as it switches out, with SR + Pursuit damage you can bet that you won't have to worry about losing your weather anymore.

The other suggestion I think that would help you is to give your Abra a Focus Sash. Focus Sash gives you a guaranteed attack in order to revenge kill threats to your team. LO is handy on Abra, but Focus Sash is just indespensible. Letting you get a hit against Scraggy, absorbing a hit from anything with out priority.

Finally, I would replace Treeko. Treeko's Focus Sash really conflicts with the idea of a sand team, and the idea of an antilead is a dead concept. You lose to many of the common leads anyways(Mienfoo, Dwebble, Bronzor) so it really does nothing for your team.

Your team also has a huge issue with Water-types. Treeko is your only resist, and it isn't that bulky. So its clear that you need something to take on Staryu, Chinchou, and Tirtouga.

For that I recommend Croagunk. Croagunk can take on the water-types very well, and also gives you a check to Scraggy, who would be a huge threat to you team otherwise. It really adds a lot to your team that Treeko doesn't. It is far less offensive, but checks like half of the meta.

The set I recommend is:

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Knock Off
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave
- Drain Punch

best of luck with your team!

Eviolite > LO on Pawniard
Pursuit > Night Slash on Pawniard
Focus sash > LO on Abra
Croagunk > Treeko

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)