Pony In The Sandbox [OU Sand Balance]

[
Pony In The Sandbox]

*Pic drawn by Suikuzu on DA*

[At A Glance]

Hey guys, coming at ya yet again with another Sand Team! For a while I hadn't really been in a Pokemon groove, losing to poorly constructed Sun Teams, 2/3rds UU and/or RU Teams, terrible hax (Crit Freeze Ice Beams anyone?), and other such things that just don't make playing enjoyable. Now however, the tables have turned! The 4th Musketeer has come to save my Pokemon and Team Building woes giving me new ideas and NOT increasing a Water weakness, looking at you SubSalac Terra and SF Lando.

The focus this go around is obviously the awesome core of CBTar + Scarf Keldeo. I've had great success with this Team messing around on Showdown and just really enjoy playing this kind of "Semi-Offensive Balanced" style of team. Looking forward to suggestions as they are very welcome of course.

So without further ado, let's get down to the Team!

- I first looked into SpDef TTar as I wanted to make a Sand Team as usual, but when I went to look for Ideas I found something very different from before: people had FINALLY realized Scarf Keldeo was good lol. However, to my surprise, he works amazingly with TTar so I just had to try it out myself. A pony and a dinosaur? who'd have thought they'd be such great friends :3

- I knew I'd like to have a Steel type and I absolutely love Rotom so I figured why not throw in some Volt-Turning.

- At this point I had no answer to Phy. Threats. My first thought was Gliscor, but I really wanted to give Lando-T another shot at finding a place on one of my Teams so I threw him into the mix.

- TTar changed to the Banded Set since that works so well with Keldeo and Scizor to Bulky Sword Dance. I found I didn't really have anything to deal with Opposing Keldeo so I decided to look into Latias. She firmly lived up to my expectations!

- Scizor didn't feel all that useful since I was using him as a Dragon Check while Keldeo was more so my late game Sweeper it seemed so I went with Ferro instead for a solid Defensive Core of Rotom, Ferro, and Lando-T. This also gave me access to Spikes, an easy answer for Gastro, and a much easier time dealing with Outrages/Dracos.

- Bri and Alexander brought up some very valid points. Offensive SD Scizor has been a great addition to the Team while I lost very little with dropping Rotom. HP Fire has been working perfectly on Latias to help combat Ferro, Scizor, and other Steels while the extra bit of Bulk is nice to have even when Venu isn't present. Gyro Ball has already killed several Dragons and I barely miss Protect. Thanks guys!

[In Depth]

The Phy. Pivot

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Why?
My personal favorite Therian, Nyandorus! He serves as my only true Physical Wall and damn does he do it well tanking hits even Gliscor would be jealous of being able to ward off even CB Terrakion. When backed by Ferro, these 2 make up a great Defense handling most things not named Keldeo or spamming Fire attacks, which is where Latias comes in to save the day.

Between his impressive Bulk, Intimidate, and sky high Attack it's no surprise this guy is a fantastic user of Stealth Rocks forcing switches all over the place. On that same note, Lando-T easily makes use of his Bulk and a slow U-Turn helping keep up momentum as well as getting any of my Offensive Pokes in without having to take a hit. STAB Earthquakes coming off of 376 Attack hit like trucks. To compliment that, Stone Edge allows me to hit things immune to EQ as well as providing a bit of a safety net against an Outraging Mence or Nite if needed.

Synergy:
Keldeo, Latias, Ferro
Keldeo, Scizor

The Mixed Wall

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Why?
When Keldeo and Tornadus-T came onto the scene, this guy just didn't feel all that effective in my hands. Now, however, we've seen the banishment of Birdnadus and Latias loves to crap all over any kind of Keldeo... I'm back to loving Ferrothorn <3. This thing can tank all kinds of hits on both sides, namely Outrages and Dracos for the Team, and just will not die.

Leech Seed helps ensure Ferro stays healthy and is a great way to break Multiscale/Sturdy/a Sash or just help wear an opponent down a bit and punish them for not switching. Spikes help lay the path for Scizor and Keldeo to do major work mid and late game and make CBTar and Lati's Draco Bombs that much more threatening. Power Whip is here to give me an offensive option vs any Waters, namely Gastro, that may want to try and face me down while Gyro Ball, as suggested by Alexander, is here to let Ferro actually do something back to the Dragons he's walling. A Relaxed Nature with 0 Speed IV's help to ensure Gyro ball is as strong as possible.

Synergy:
Latias, Lando
Keldeo, Latias, TTar

The Pony <3

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf

Why?
It took a while, but people have finally realized the power of Keldeo! This little pony is a force to be reckoned with, especially if my opponent is kind enough to provide him with some Rain. TTar loves to eat up Keldeo's counters making them wonderful teammates and Keldeo, thanks to that blazing 108 Speed and massive SpAtk, a prime target for Choice Scarf. With Torn-T gone from OU, Fighting types can once again flourish and Keldeo has finally gotten its own spotlight.

STAB Hydro Pump ain't playin' no games, it's out for blood and loves to run through teams late game. Surf is a 100% Acc. alternative for when hitting can be the difference between a sweep, losing Keldeo, or losing the match. Secret Sword is Keldeo's nasty little trick for laughing at Spec. Walls and makes him rather hard to Wall since he can hit hard from both sides with STABs. HP Ice, as expected on a Scarfer, is here to deal with the many DDing and Scarfed Dragons that float around OU. The EV's are self explanatory while the IV's are to minimize Confusion damage while keeping 70 HP Ice and Max Speed.

Synergy:
TTar
Latias, Ferro (x2), Scizor (x2)
Latias, Ferro, Lando (Immune)
Latias, Ferro, TTar (Immune), Scizor

The Sandbox Powerhouse

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 154 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Why?
I must say, CBTar took me some getting used to after running SpDef TTar all of BW1, but man this set is a monster and a phenominal partner for Keldeo! After seeing his ability to win Weather Wars from unsuspecting opponents and witnessing it OHKO a Ferrothorn from ~95% I gave him a try and have never looked back since... This is easily one of, if not THE, best TTar Sets for the current BW2 Meta.

Crunch is a Solid STAB and, when backed by a Choice Band, pushes through the likes of Celebi, Jellicent, and other common Keldeo Counters with ease helping to break open teams for a "Keldeo Hydro Pump Rampage!". The exact same can be said for Pursuit (though it isn't the greatest of things to be locked into) as it destroys anything that may want to escape from TTar fearing a Crunch, such as the Lati Twins. Stone Edge is another great STAB and, if it hits, can outright 1-2HKO things that don't resist it. it even threatens a 2HKO on Skarmory! Superpower is here to deal with Steels and can hit for massive damage on switch ins expecting to sponge either of TTars impressive STABs. EV's here are pretty simple: maximize Attack, outspeed Skarmory (and 4 extra to outrun other TTars ;D), and the rest to Bulk.

Synergy:
Latias, Lando
Latias (Immune), Lando (Immune)
Keldeo, Lando, Scizor
Keldeo, Ferro, Scizor
Keldeo, Latias, Ferro
Latias, Ferro (x2), Scizor (x2)

The Priority Sweeper

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Why?
As Bri brought to my attention, this Team was missing 2 key things: a Set Up Sweeper to help bust though Stall (and punch holes in general) as well as a solid Priority User to get me out of sticky situations. Scizor fills both of these roles fantastically and meshes very well Defensively with Latias. The banning of Tornadus-T took away one of Rotom's most important duties and reasons to hold a spot in my Team considering Latias, Keldeo, and Ferro all don't mind Rain being on the field instead of my own Sand. While I did lose a Special Wall, I still have both Lati and Ferro to block most of the same threats along side Scizor now to add much more to the offensive prowess to the Team!

Ahh, Bullet Punch... the bread and butter of any Scizor Set! This shouldn't require any explaination really, however I will note that the Priority can simply be a godsent and is greatly appreciated by the Team when something like Keldeo's Hydro Pump, despite it's shaky Accuracy, or a Speed Tie would be my best answer. Bug Bite comes in as a solid secondary STAB to nail slower things Bullet Punch wouldn't be as effective for as well as helping the team deal with threats like TR Reuniclus. Superpower helps to turn Steels from Walls into straight Set Up Fodder, most notably letting Scizor Set Up against opposing Ferrothorn which the Team can sometimes struggle with. Swords Dance gives Scizor the power he needs to achieve his goals and coupled with Life Orb leaves little beyond Phy. Walls who can stomach its attacks.

Synergy:
Keldeo, Latias, TTar

The SpDef Pivot

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Why?
Lando and Ferro don't particularly like playing the guessing game with opposing Keldeo, nor do they like Special Fire attacks too much... so I decided to look else where for a solution and luckily my favorite Dragon was there to back me up! Equip with a Life Orb, Latias not only has her awesome Bulk, but has now gained the immediate fire power that her brother offers. This is extremely important in cases such as Keldeo where a more Bulky Set would not allow for easy OHKO's. 72 HP Ev's allows Lati to survive a +2 Venu Sludge Bomb and KO back with Psyshock while the rest are invested into maxing Speed and then sheer attack power.

Draco Meteor can put a large dent into just about anything as long as any Steels are out of the way. HP fire, on the other hand, lets Lati destroy Steels herself if need be, especially Scizor and Ferro who are common Switch Ins to absorb Draco's. Psyshock is here specifically for the Musketeers, Breloom, and any other Fighting Types looking to punch holes and is also quite nice for nailing Tentacruel and the aforementioned Vena. Roost helps to keep Lati alive between Hazards, LO Recoil, and my own Sand and has even made some people try to EQ me lol.

Synergy:
Keldeo, Lando, Scizor
Ferro, TTar, Scizor
Keldeo, Scizor
Ferro, Scizor
Keldeo, Ferro, TTar, Scizor

[Final Look]

Well that's the Team! Hopefully I've done a fairly good job with both creating and presenting it! I look forward to any suggestions anyone may have :D

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 2 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 Spd
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 154 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Hey, Steel.Storm!

On such a balanced team, I am rather confused by the lack of a sweeper. I have always found a sweeper to be ideal on a team like this since it recieves Spikes support and a good defensive core to counter threats on the opposing team. Moving on, a few major threats I see are Reuniclus and Ferrothorn. Reuniclus, especially the Trick Room Version, can basically 2HKO your whole team and Tyranitar is OHKO'd by Focus Blast. Ferrothorn, surprisingly, can set up Spikes on several members of your own team and you can't do much to it. Switching into Ferrothorn is surprisingly difficult as well since Landorus-T doesn't like the ~40% from a Power Whip and Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn gets Spikes set-up on him. Many rain teams carry a Spinner, so they don't care if you set-up hazards as they can spin them away. With this being said, I would recommend a Swords Dance Scizor instead of Rotom-W. Scizor can effective check Trick Room Reuniclus, set-up on Ferrothorn, and even help check opposing dragons, Terrakion, and Tyranitar! A set with Lum Berry or Life Orb, an Adamant Nature, EV's of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe and moves of Swords Dance / Bug Bite / Superpower / Bullet Punch should do well on your team. The EV investment for Speed allows you to outspeed 0 Spe Rotom-W and most SpDef Tran. Even with this change, Ferrothorn still sets Spikes on a lot of your team members, so you can consider Hidden Power Fire on Latias instead of Surf. This is just optional, though. Good luck with your team, friend!

Thanks for the Rate as always, Bri :D

In all my playing with the current version of this Team I have definitely missed having a Set Up Sweeper and SD Scizor did fair quite well in testing. I did end up taking him out, but it was the Bulky variant and serving as my only Steel on the team at the time. Now that I have Ferro as the Teams "Anti-Dragon Steel", Scizor does look quite appealing! As much as I love Rotom, I feel he is indeed the most replaceable considering Birdnadus now is gone and I still have Latias to function has a Special Sponge anyway.

HP Fire is something I have considered on Latias. In fact, this is my first time ever using Surf over HP Fire on either of the Lati Twins for more than just trying it out lol. I've been testing back and forth but haven't quite decided which to keep... HP Fire does have a lot going for it.

Thanks again, I'll get to testing soon!

EDIT:
Well Scizor is definitely performing very well so far Bri! HP Fire will most likely go onto Lati considering in the past ~10 games over half I'd have preferred to have HP Fire.

Cleaned up the OP a bit (fixing grammar, added Synergy, etc) and have indeed gone back to HP Fire on Latias.

Still trying out Scizor a bit more before I'm completely sure, but I have been largely impressed with how well he's been doing in Rotom's spot.

Hi man I got your request so I'll give you a rate.

First of all, your team looks a bit weak to sun teams. Stuff like Venusaur are problematic for this team because you haven't switch into it and at +2 it breaks you very easily and also when sun isn't up it can damage all your team members hard with its coverage moves. To solve this weakness, on Latias I suggest you to move 72 EVs from SAtk to HP. 72 EVs in HP allow to resist to Venusaur at +2's Sludge Bomb and that's pretty fine for your team and they also allow to tank better Keldeo's Hydro Pump, Landorus' Hidden Power and so on as well. You don't lose anyway much fire power so it isn't a problem I think. Finally, I'd use Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn, replacing Protect. Landorus-T can't tank dragon-types' attack so I think that Gyro Ball can help you to deal threats like Dragonite, Salamence and Hydreigon more easily. Protect is a useful move too but in my opinion, you don't need it at all and in this team Gyro Ball is better than it.

Anyways, cool team! Hope I helped, good luck!

Thanks for Rating Alexander! When I went to make this Team I used an LO Latias from a previous Team and couldn't figure out why it had 72 HP EV's so I just went with 252/252 as suggested by the Smogon Analysis... looks like I now know why I did that lol. Definitely gonna fix this minor oversight.

Gyro would indeed help in taking down Dragons. I've always been a fan of Protect on Ferro, as well as T-Wave for that matter, but I see what you mean. Apart from Leech Seed + Protecting there's really not much Ferro can do in return without Gyro Ball which has been a problem before (especially if Keldeo is Dead and Lando is weakened/Dead). Plus, apart from free recovery, Protect is most often used as precaution vs Choiced Pokes and in most cases they'll be going for the obvious/safest move anyways. I'll be giving this a try later this afternoon.

Was busy Testing quite a bit yesterday and have loved all suggestions so far! Everything has worked very well and improved the Teams performance quite a bit :3

Full list of changes:
- Surf on Latias -> HP Fire
- Tweak to Latias' EV's
- SpDef Rotom-W -> SD Scizor
- Protect on Ferro -> Gyro Ball
- continued to go through the OP and update/fix things (namely Descriptions this time)

Keep the Ideas coming guys! I can't wait to hear more.

~Bump~

Having a blast playing with this version of the Team. Also started to add some Battles to the OP whenever I actually find a decent one lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)