First RMT; OU balanced Rain offense

Hey, there, and thanks for taking the time to read my RMT. I'm not so good with names, but it's... Well... Pretty much your typical balanced Rain offense team with a few little quirks like weather trapper Tentacruel and Drizzle abuse Volcarona. I don't have a huge amount of experience competitively, and this is my first Rain team, so I'd appreciate any help from a more experienced community. ;)

At a glance

The team

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Attack)
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
IVs: 31/30/31/30/31/31 (HP Grass)
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Grass)

I honestly hardly even need to explain this set, as I'm sure you've all seen it a hundred times before, but I will anyways. Politoed is the only thing in the OU metagame capable of summoning permanent rain. I thought about running a defensive/support set, but I prefer my weather starter to pose a bit more of a threat, plus the sheer power of his Specs boosted Hydro Pump is simply too good to pass up. Hydro Pump's awesome base 180 power (after STAB), boosted by the Rain and working off his usable 90 base Sp. Atk stat hits things really hard. In fact, if it's not a dragon or something like Gastrodon, I'll normally fire off a Hydro Pump even on resists. Ice Beam gets clean KOs on things like Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, and Gliscor, but many of the things it hits are hit nearly as hard as Hydro Pump. It's also good for whenever I need to come in and knock that last bit of health off of a threat and I can't afford a Hydro Pump miss. Focus Blast is mostly filler, but it lets me win weather wars with Tyranitar. Well, it does when it hits. Hidden Power (Grass) is almost solely for Gastrodon switch-ins. Sure, it hits other Water-immune Pokemon, but not hard enough to warrant staying in on them.

Tentacruel @ Air Balloon
Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31 (Flawless)
-Wrap
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Rapid Spin

So here's a bit of an interesting set I made after using a weather trapper Heatran on a Sun team. The idea is basically the same, trap a Tyranitar or a Ninetales with Wrap (Whirlpool and Rain Dish are incompatible), and then use Rain Dance and kill it with Hydro Pump. Tentacruel also has great typing for the job, with an Air Balloon he really doesn't fear much that the other weather starters can throw at him, plus his STAB Hydro Pumps hit 3 of the 4 non-Rain OU weather starters super-effectively. Working off his passable base 80 Sp. Atk, he can easily dispatch opposing weather starters. Rapid Spin is used in the last slot because of the utility. For some stupid reason Ferrothorn doesn't get it, so I'm carrying it on Tentacruel instead. While it's not quite as effective as weather trapper Heatran, I think it's Rain's best option when it comes to weather trapping. I guess there's really nothing else to say here.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Substitute
-Sword's Dance

Toxicroak is a rather underrated threat in the Rain. With great recovery between Black Sludge, Dry Skin, and Drain Punch, he's also really hard to kill, easily capable of healing more than half of his health per turn on most threats. I went with a bulky spread because base 85 Speed doesn't outpace much even with a full investment and a positive nature. I'm still playing around with this a little, however, because I'm finding myself outsped by a lot of defensive threats which I could easily outrun with a bit of an investment. Anyways, Substitute eases prediction and blocks at status, and practically only costs about 6% of his life thanks to Black Sludge and Dry Skin recovery. In fact, he can actually stall out low-PP moves with this if he has to, albeit he rarely needs to. Sword's Dance doubles his already decent Attack and sets him up for a sweep. A Toxicroak in the rain at +2 can be very hard to deal with, especially when it's behind a Substitute. Drain Punch is a good STAB attack that heals even more of his life back. I'm using it over Focus Punch to increase longevity, but I'm open to trying Focus Punch if people generally think I should. Sucker Punch gives me great coverage and a priority move, if an unreliable one. Still, it lets me revengekill things like Lati@s from low health by baiting a Psyshock and taking off the last bit of its health with Sucker Punch. Also, he gives me a pretty sturdy check to Terrakion, since he packs a resistance to its STABs.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP, 88 Defence, 168 Sp. Def
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock
-Protect
-Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is something that loves the rain, because it alleviates one of its only two weaknesses. Plus, it brings some invaluable support to my team in the form of paralysis and Stealth Rock. Threats are a lot easier to deal with when they're taking damage each time I force them out. Thunder Wave is generally a reliable move to fire off on a predicted switch and possibly cripple something like Terrakion for the rest of the match. Leech Seed + Protect + Iron Barbs + Leftovers gives a general HP movement in my direction by putting a lot of passive damage on my opponent and giving me a lot of passive healing. While I normally don't like running Taunt bait, I generally see a predicted Taunt as a free switch to a counter (Politoed for Deoxys-D, Thundurus-T for Tornadus, etc).

Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Attack)
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4HP
IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice with untouched Speed)
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Focus Blast

Thundurus-T glues my team together as a reliable revenge-killer, taking out problematic sweepers and grabbing momentum with Volt Switch. Being a Scarf user, Volt Switch is practically standard, letting me scout switches and buy momentum. While it's not quite as reliable as U-Turn, with a decent base power working off of Thundurus-T's huge Sp. Atk, it hurts a lot. Thunder is a great STAB with perfect accuracy under the rain, and a 30% paralysis chance to boot. Hidden Power (Ice) completes a pseudo-BeamBolt combo, hitting nearly everything for at least neutral damage, and also hurting things like Landorus, Tornadus, Salamence, etc. Focus Blast is mostly filler, but it lets me lead with him against Sand teams and often end the weather war before it even starts.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Defence
IVs: 31/31/31/30/30/31 (HP Ground)
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
-Hurricane
-Hidden Power (Ground)

Here's the Volcaron I mentioned earlier. I use him as a late-game sweeper after threats have been weakened and hopefully paralyzed by Ferrothorn and my other sweepers. Quiver Dance is arguably one of the best boosting moves in the game, making him faster, harder hitting, and bulkier all at the same time. After a few Quiver Dances he's set to sweep with his decent coverage. Giga Drain deals hard damage to Water-typed switchins and also heals off any damage he might take while setting up. Hurricane makes full use of the Rain getting 100% accuracy and a decent Confusion rate, which could completely shut down a threat switching in. It's also got a great 120 base Power, which hurts pretty bad after a couple boosts. Hidden Power (Ground) hits Steel types hard, but I'm considering Bug Buzz or Hidden Power (Water) for more power/coverage.

Concerns:

Well, my main concern is my own lack of experience. I'm sure there's a lot of potential threats I'm not anticipating, so I'd like to get opinions and advice from much more experienced players. My other concern is that I'm perhaps a little too reliant on weather. If I lose the weather war, I've essentially lost the match. Using Tentacruel certainly helps, but if I get an unlucky Stone Edge crit or a particularly smart player who anticipates what I'm doing, I might lose the weather war.

Okay, that's it. Thanks again!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, cool team!

Unfortunately this is gunna be a bit of a quick rate. Got a few tests this week I need to study for :) But if you try the changes out and lemme know you think they work, I'll be glad to drop by again later.

Just go with a regular Tentacruel set over your current one. I have to admit the set you've made is really quite cool but the thing is is that neither Tyranitar or Ninetales commonly switch-in to Tentacruel. The great thing about Weather Trapper Heatran is that Politoed and Tyranitar(SpDef Hippos maybe but not as much) switch in on Heatran. Politoed sees it as practically a free-switch in, and Tyranitar can usually sponge all of its hits. Your team really appreciates the Spinning prowess 'cruel brings and playing it to its strengths should be your number one priority. I personally recommend the SubToxic set because it lets you beat Jellicent 1v1 who would stop your spin otherwise, neutering Volcarona.

Secondly, I suggest running Fire Blast in your Volcarona's last slot. Fire Blast from Volc still does heaps of damage, even in the rain. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it still OHKOs Ferro even in rain at +1. Plus it gives Volc great utility should Drizzle not be up.

Good Luck!

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

Decently good rain team you have here, Divine Retribution, so I'll give you praise for that. This team uses soem underrated and very odd EV movesets, and the synergy is decent, but there are some flaws I see, and hopefully my rate can hopefully make it better. With that said, let's get to the rate. Alright, first up, your Toxicroak set is strange to say the least, and if you want him to be bulky, I would like to suggest running the standard Bulk Up set over your current one. Bulk Up Toxicroak is an excellent Pokemon to work with on many rain teams, as if you can get a free Substitute and get a few Bulk Ups up, you've practically won the game right there. Moving forward, I would like to suggest running a Timid Nature on your Thundurus-T over your current choice of a Modest Nature. The Timid Nature allows Thundurus-T to outspeed tons of opposing scarf users which can be threats to your team, such as Salamence and Jirachi. Lastly, I would like to agree with Joeyboys suggestion of running Fire Blast over HP Ground on Volcarona. Even in the rain, it can do heaps of damage, and can cleanly OHKOs Ferrothorn in the Rain at +1. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge Lv. 100 -- Dry Skin

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def

- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Hey Divine, welcome to the Smogon Community =)

It seems like you're wanting to go with a more offensive Toed set. I've found that the best offensive set for him is the Choice Scarf Toed from my own personal experience. It allows Toed to effectively revenge kill a lot of threats, including most weather starters, and Hydro Pump is still very powerful without Specs. As Joeyboy said, you'll probably want to switch to a SubToxic Tentacruel set, since it's more effective than your set (it is quite creative though). If you want a good trapper for a Rain team, I would suggest Reversal Dugtrio. He can generally come in, set up Rocks, and severely damage, and many times KO, an opponent's weather starter. This would allow you to use Spikes on Ferrothorn and net you two kinds of entry hazards. Finally, while I love Rain Volcarona, I find that Tornadus has a singularly important role on a rain team. With the ability of Prankster, Tornadus can set up rain nearly 100% of the time if you don't want to risk sending in Politoed. Equipped with a boosting item, Hurricane also gets STAB and is generally devastating to the opponent's team. Lastly, if you're opponent has a boosted sweeper, Tornadus has access to Tailwind which essentially gives your pokemon an Agility boost for a few turns, often making a difference late game.

All in all, a very good RMT for your first post, well done =)

Sets:
Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- Tailwind

Hi, there

You are very weak Mamoswine that is very bad for your team, so I suggest you put Jolly> Adamant on Toxicroak with 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP and Drain Punch - Ice Punch - Sucker Punch - Swords Dance, thus bypassing in Mamoswine speed, whether it is of the nature or the Adamant Jolly and kill him with Drain Punch, Ice Punch is for Gliscor and dragons slower, Sucker Punch, mainly Latios and Latias on which it is usually faster can not be affected by Ice Punch and for whatever it is faster than Toxicroak but being KO.

Turning to other changes suggest smaller as said by Joeyboy, to change the moveset of Tentacruel for the same reason. Suggest in particular the set SubToxic because able to stall Jellicent and because with Toxic neutralizes Volcarona. For advice Thundurus-T Timid> Modest to outrun the 100 base speed scarfer for example Salamence and Jirachi and consequently the first attack.

Set
Tentacruel @ Leftovers / Black Sludge
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)