OU Weatherless Hyper Offense

After playing around on Showdown for a while and getting bored of my old team, I decided to build a new one. After seeing alexwolf's new team and his Rain Dance Kingdra, I decided to try that set out and build a team around it. Without further ado, here's the new and improved team!

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 Atk / 240 SAtk / 228 Spd
Mild Nature
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam

As stated earlier, I would be using Kingdra on this team. And what better to use than one that sets up its own weather and sweeps. Mixed Kingdra is a beast in the rain, and a great wallbreaker. He can sometimes singlehandedly decide a game with a good prediction. I did steal this set from gengarsnemisis and its worked so far. Thanks! Kingdra wrecks most weather teams by changing the weather and striking back....hard. Draco Meteor wrecks most counters and Waterfall is extremely spammable in the rain. Ice Beam also checks other dragons, although Draco Meteor does that better; but Ice Beam does hit plenty of grass types; i.e. Breloom, Venusaur, and Celebi.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Sword
- X-Scissor

However, although Kingdra is pretty amazing overall. He can be walled by certain steel types to a certain extent: Ferrothorn. But Scarfed Terrakion wrecks Ferrothorn and is an amazing revenge killer. To be honest, his raw speed and power is self-explanatory. Hail the beast! X-Scissor for the rare Psychics that are outsped and destroyed, Stone Edge for Salamence mostly, and Earthquake his Jirachi slightly better than Close Combat but without the defense lowerings.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Obviously when playing stall teams, I'll need something to cripple even their strongest walls. That's where Jirachi comes in. Wielding some leftover food and a plethora of attacks, Jirachi paralyzes, and pretty much causes entire teams to give up. Against a Deoxys-D? No problem! Set up a sub and hit it back! Hard! Ferrothorn? Fire Punch. Anything else? Paraflinch is the solution to it. Not sure about using Fire Punch, would Ice Punch be a better solution? Body Slam does have a great paralyze rate but is Thunder Wave better? I feel that t-wave can be taunted and it definitely isn't worth the risk. STAB Iron Head is great though.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance

Once Kingdra and Terrakion have thoroughly smashed apart teams, Lucario cleans up the rest. Two priority moves allows it to crush teams easily and Close Combat makes up for it with its sheer power. Late game sweeps with Lucario are near inevitable when they're sufficiently weakened. Life Orb increases that power to insane levels, however the recoil often takes him out long before then. Still Lucario crushes opposing Terrakion, and frail sweeps, often surprising Gengar with the less common Bullet Punch. Extremespeed is pretty deadly and Close Combat wrecks even neutral opponents easily after the Swords Dance.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Gengar is the team's main spinblocker and he fulfills that job pretty well. I would be happier if there was an equally fast ghost type that wasn't quite as frail. But with a Substitute up, pain split for recovery, and two great moves providing wonderful coverage, Gengar does his job well. I can switch in on a Lucario's Close Combat, and Focus Blast. He destroys Tyranitar if I can predict the switch and hit it with two Focus Blasts. The Substitute is key. If he sets it up, he gets the KO. If not, he dies.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Lead Garchomp instantly threatens the opponents team unless they lead with Mamoswine or something similar. I can set up rocks on the switch, or predict well and hit their ice type with a Fire Blast or Outrage. Focus Sash lets him set up the rocks more easily and the sash won't get broken due to their rocks because I will usually sacrifice him afterwards by spamming Outrage, because I have no spinner. The other moves are pretty obvious, Fire Blast hits Skarmory and Ferrothorn, Outrage and Earthquake are his two STABs.

Thanks in advance for the brilliant advice that Smogon users always supplies and I hope this is a good enough RMT!

Threats list:

Volcarona
Deoxys-D

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
hey hobohawk, this is a pretty nice team you have here but I am a little confused by your claiming it to be hyper offensive team because it really isn't. However I think you have some good ideas to work around so I'll try to help you out and make a true Hyper Offensive team that should be an improvement to your current setup.

Let's start with your lead, which is a crucial part of any HO team to get up rocks and potentially still put a dent into the opposing team. I think a lead Garchomp would be a good choice here and could replace your Landorus-T.
Garchomp has pretty decent bulk and much better speed than lando-t so it works pretty well in HO. It also has fire punch to deal with scizor which you said was a threat.

Next, a very important thing for HO teams is to keep hazards up in order to land some key KO's with your powerful attacks. For this a spinblocker is going to be called for and Gengar will help you to accomplish this while also keeping up the offensive pressure of a HO team. I would recommend using him over your current rotom-w who is already made less effective with landorus-t gone and really doesn't have a place on HO teams anyways.

Now we're starting to look more like a Hyper Offensive team! Now we'll just improve some of your sets to be able to take on more threats. First I would make your Jirachi your choice scarf user. You lose some speed/ revenge killing capabilities as opposed to terrakion but lucario is a great revenge killer already with its dual priority and kingdra is already extremely fast under the rain if you can successfully set it up.

For your terrakion I would switch to a choice band set to act as more of a wall breaker for your kingdra and lucario to clean up late game.

I know I made some major changes to make your team more of a Hyper Offensive team but I hope they help and play more into the style you were looking for in your team. However, if you test the team and you prefer your old setup just let me know and I'll re-rate the team to make it more of a balanced offense team which was really what you were looking at with your original team. Anyways good luck with the team! Here are the sets:
Garchomp @ focus sash/yache berry
Jolly nature
252 att/4 hp/252 speed
stealth rock
earthquake
dragon claw/ outrage
fire punch/ swords dance

Gengar @ Life Orb
timid nature
252 speed/ 4 hp/ 252 sp att
shadow ball
focus blast
hp fire
substitute

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly nature
252 att/ 4 hp/ 252 speed
u-turn
iron head
fire punch
ice punch

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly nature
252 att/ 4 hp/ 252 speed
Close Combat
Stone Edge
X-scissor
Quick Attack

Wow MCBarret! Thanks for the great team rate! But you're right, I did name the team incorrectly. I think balanced offense would be a better name for this team. What does HO even mean? Anyways with that said, what would make the team better with that in mind?
And if possible, I definitely would want to keep my Terrakion scarfed rather than a choice band set, as terrakion is absolutely brutal as a revenge killer.

MCBarrett

No problem hobohawk,

Hyper Offense is generally built of a hazard setter such as Deoxys-D etc., and surrounded by 5 pokemon that are basically all out attackers, some that will break through walls such as banded terrakion and specs latios, and others that will sweep late game like your kingdra and others that will revenge kill like your lucario. This can be a difficult play style to get used to but I think if you test it out with my suggestions you can see for yourself how you like playing with a Hyper Offensive team.

Thanks for clarifying MCBarrett. I really appreciate the help!
I'll get to testing ASAP. I especially like the lead Garchomp idea. However, would Fire Blast to hit skarmory be better than Fire Punch?

MCBarrett

Yes, with a hasty nature and no special attack investment fire blast is a guaranteed 2hko dealing 57.48-68.26% while fire punch with 252 attack only deals 28.74-34.13% to physically defensive variants.

You would need to invest too much special attack to be able to ensure a 2hko against specially defensive variants but it is a guaranteed 3hko no matter what so just keep the same ev spread and change your nature from jolly to hasty

After some more testing, I came to the conclusion that Gengar, is much too frail. I can set up a substitute, but once that's broken, he dies to an unboosted hit, for example a stone edge from scarfed landorus-t. I'm like 99% sure there are no other viable ghost types to fill his role though....

Nice team overall. Just some things that I'd like to point out. I suggest running dragon pulse over Draco if you really intend to have lingers put a dent in your opponents team. A -2 SpA drop can allow the opponent to bring in their own dragon that can a)kill kingdra or b)get a free set up move.

Also, you could run thunder over body slam on your jirachi just to make it more offensive and be able to take advantage of your kingdras rain or the opponents drizzle while still being able to paralyze. I mean Rotom-W already covers the electric type weakness but it will still force you to switch

Though Lando is a very big threat, I suggest you run gliscor over it since it is a great defensive "wall" and can help with status moves if you run a toxic orb set and ice dang does a good job of covering dragons. With u turn as well, it can still keep up the offensive momentum w/rotom

MCBarrett

After some more testing, I came to the conclusion that Gengar, is much too frail. I can set up a substitute, but once that's broken, he dies to an unboosted hit, for example a stone edge from scarfed landorus-t. I'm like 99% sure there are no other viable ghost types to fill his role though....
You're right that there really isn't much else like gengar but you can run a different set to help him last longer. Replacing hidden power fire with pain split will give you a decently reliable way of recovering hp and you don't lose much offensively.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm learning a lot here, however firerage is correct, Draco Meteor is meant to deliver that massive output damage for the OHKO and Waterfall is the remaining attacking move in this situation. Painsplit is a great idea, I'll test that out imediately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)