Chaos is Magic

Chaos is Magic

Hello Smogon! I have been lurking here for sometime now, and figured it's about time I post my own (and first) team that I've been having much fun with in hopes for criticism / changes that could be done to further improve the potential of this team. As a fellow Pegasister, it seemed fitting to base this team off of the antagonists of the widely known show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I understand that some people may immediately discard the thought of rating this team just because of the show, but I do encourage to have an open mind, as I will as well when reading feedback. That said, on to the team!

AT A GLANCE

HOW THE TEAM WAS MADE

Oddly enough, this is the team I originally started with. Because when I started to get involved in competitive play, weather was EVERYWHERE, and I felt that I also needed to be a part of the weather trend to survive. When I tested this team out in my first ever WiFi battle, I was demolished. Even though I should have kept trying again with this team, I immediately went back to revise it.

PLAN B

When I went back, I scratched out the entire team, only starting with Politoed with still the intention of having a rain team

I adored the idea of a choice specs 100% accurate stab Thunder from the likes of Jolteon. With electric type attacks being rather uncommon (least from what I've seen) in the ruthless OverUsed environment, Jolteon's blazing fast speed is greatly appreciated. Because of the abundant amount of Earthquakes, I decided to use a Levitating dragon that could abuse a rain boosted surf. Though Latios did come to mind, I went with Hydreigon due to the access to Superpower to handle steel types that would otherwise be the bane of Hydreigon's fury. A choice scarf U-turn, coupled with Volt Switch, would help keep up the pressure.

Again, I desired to make this a balanced rain team, and with constant reading both on the Pokedex Movesets and gaining knowledge from other Smogonites, in comes Gliscor and Jirachi as my defensive core. I was considering Skarmory instead of Gliscor, but the thought of losing the weather war against a sun team made me nervous. Another reason for Gliscor, as mentioned before, I lost my first every WiFi battle to a Volt-Turn team, and Gliscor brings a complete halt to other teams of the like. Jirachi, on the otherhand, takes hits like a champ. Along with providing Stealth Rock and Wish support, the thought of only having one weakness (thanks to the rain) is always greatly appreciated.

Alas, with fighting types being popular in the Fifth generation, it's hard to not consider using a fighting type. Everyone's favorite pony (whether or not you enjoy MLP:FiM) brings massive power under the rain. Nothing more needs to be said about the raw power of this adorable pony.

Finally, when round two of WiFi battling began, I found myself needing to hit Draco Meteor more than once before switching out, along with the physical side rather lacking. So, as I was looking at fellow dragons, I decided to bring in one of my personal favorite Pokemon, Haxorus. With Holy Arceus granting Haxorus Aqua Tail in Black and White 2, Haxorus found new fond life in this rain team. Though I did lose out on U-Turn, Haxorus performs beautifully and was very much worth the trade.

A CLOSER LOOK

Queen Chrysalis @ Leftovers
Ability : Drizzle
Nature : Bold
EV's : 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpDef
~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Refresh
~Perish Song
Queen Chrysalis, queen of the Changlings and summoning the rain of sorrow in her wake. I decided to run a defensive Politoed to win the weather war and for moveset scouting purposes, for if something seems risky, Politoed is usually safest way to go. The EV's for making Politoed last as long as possible. I moved the suggested physically defensive ev's to special defense to better take a neutral special attack and retaliate back. Scald as the stab move of choice and for the always helpful burn chance that would otherwise wreck havoc. Ice Beam to catch grass and dragon types on the switch. I opt for Refresh over Toxic so that if a status move was headed my way, I wouldn't have much problem having Politoed eat it and simply shrug it off. Because I lack a phasing move anywhere else, Perish Song was the last move of choice to stop greedy Pokemon that would otherwise attempt to set up in Politoed's face.

Gilda @ Choice Specs
Ability : Volt Absorb
Nature : Timid
EV's : 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Volt Switch
~Thunder
~Hidden Power Ice
~Signal Beam
Ok, let's be honest here, nopony enjoys taking a choice specs 100% accurate stab Thunder TO THE FACE! Gilda the Gryphon takes flight as the fastest unboosted flyer in all of OverUsed. Jolteon's power boosted by choice specs, not even standard Ferrothorn, one of the more popular defensive Pokemon, can last too long against Thunders being set off one after another, doing 28-33%, a solid 4hko. Because I usually lead with Jolteon, Volt Switch is here for scouting purposes. Signal Beam is a silver bullet for Celebi, along with being able to nuke dark, psychic, and grass types. I did originally have Hidden Power Grass, but I found myself encountering Gliscor, Landorus (both I and T), and dragons more than Swampert or Gastrodon, whom were the original target of hitting. I have tested out an Expert Belt, but shortly after, I already missed the power of choice specs.

Nightmare Moon @ Leftovers
Ability : Serene Grace
Nature : Careful
EV's : 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Spe
~Stealth Rock
~Wish
~Iron Head
~Body Slam
Nightmare Moon, the first antagonist ever introduced in MLP: FiM. With a great amount of resistances due to her steel typing coupled with her psychic type to take fighting moves better, Jirachi is here to take special attacks all day everyday. With the Lati twins roaming freely, Jirachi comes as their bane and eases the pressure, and without her, the Lati twins would in turn be able to spam their Draco Mateors without end. 252 in special defense to be able to take water attacks that are boosted by my rain, along with taking, well, every special attack. Stealth rock support to increase her teammates chances of snagging a ko. I went with Wish support because I lack a rapid spinner, so the opponent is free to set up all of their entry hazards, stripping a good portion of valuable hit points every time i must switch. I felt much more comfortable with body slam to be able to hit an incoming ground type like Garchomp. Iron Head as the stab move of choice to flinch anything to death. Literally.

Iron Will @ Toxic Orb
Ability : Poison Heal
Nature : Impish
EV's : 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
~Earthquake
~Protect
~Roost
~Toxic
"Don't be shy, look 'em in the eye.", one of the many catchphrases of Iron Will, a Minotaur that teaches ponies how to be more assertive. Contrary to Gliscor's assigned villain, Gliscor is here to put a halt to the likes of Volt-Turn based teams, along with taking fighting types moves that are at every corner of OverUsed. Though having a pokemon that's weak to water types moves on a rain team that BOOSTS water type moves may seem crazy, it's silly to even stay IN against a water type move. Earthquake as the strongest stab move of choice. Toxic + Protect for scouting purposes against possible choice carriers and stalling. Though Roost + Poison Heal may seem like overkill, I did originally have taunt, but I really needed Gliscor to last longer against powerful popular threats like Terrakion and other physical attackers.

Discord @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Mold Breaker
Nature : Adamant
EV's : 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
~Outrage
~Aqua Tail
~Earthquake
~Dual Chop
Move aside Latios, in comes Discord the Draconequus, and the name couldn't be anymore fitting for Haxorus. Poor Haxorus, sitting as the least used dragon in the OverUsed environment. His awkward speed and limited movepool left him in the shadows of fellow dragons. Then Holy Arceus Himself came along and gave mercy to Haxorus by granting him Aqua Tail in BW2, giving him a pseudo stab move under the rain and giving him excellent neutral coverage. But his speed was still rather lacking, so I gave him a choice scarf. Stab Outrage backed by a base 147 adamant nature attack stat ain't nothing to laugh at, and now Haxorus is able to outspeed things he couldn't before. Earthquake to hit steel types that stand in Haxorus' way. I did have Superpower, but steel types (like Ferrothorn) were fearing the fighting move anyway and wouldn't dare switch in, and Substitute variants were painful for this team to handle (especially if Politoed had fainted). The 24 HP for surviving an Ice Shard from Life Orb Adamant Mamoswine after stealth rock damage (67-82% to Haxorus). I went with an Adamant nature over Jolly due to the noticeable loss of power that Haxorus very much needs with a scarf equipped. This monster works wonders.

The Great and Powerful Trixie @ Lum Berry
Ability : Justified
Nature : Timid
EV's : 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
~Calm Mind
~Hydro Pump
~Secret Sword
~Hidden Power Ghost
Low and behold, The Great and Powerful Trixie. Calm Mind Keldeo is here to grasp the opportunity to set up and sweep. I chose a Lum Berry over Life Orb because the rain boosts the already powerful stab Hydro Pump, and as stated before, entry hazards can quickly rack up and Life Orb will only make it worse. Not to mention that a Lum Berry can bluff a choice set and snag a second Calm Mind boost if she gets the unwelcomed Toxic. Hydro Pump hits like a truck under the rain, especially after a boost, and Secret Sword to bypass bulky specially defensive water types. Hidden Power Ghost is here almost specifically for the ever popular Jellicent, who would otherwise wall Keldeo with ease, along with being able to hit Psychic Types super effectively on the switch like Latias. Timid to speed tie with non-scarfed musketeers.

THREATS

THANK ARCEUS YOU'RE GONE TO UBERS

Though Jirachi (and to an extent, Jolteon) could take Hurricanes no problem, if she were gone, this thing would sweep with ease. BUT YOU'RE GONE TO UBERS GG.

Dear Arceus, this thing hurts. Gliscor fears the obvious ice move, Jirachi can't take physical attacks too well because she's specially defensive, Politoed can't the electric move, I have to sacrifice someone to revenge kill assuming it's not scarfed. BUT YOU'RE GONE TO UBERS TOO SO HA HA

Because this thing can take advantage of my own rain, Jirachi can only last so long. I've been able to handle SubCM better because of Dual Chop. It's not too bad to deal with, just something I really need to watch out for.

To simply put, I CAN'T STAND MOTHS. ESPECIALLY THIS THING. At +1, it outspeeds everything, including my beloved Haxorus. If Keldeo is gone, the only chance I have is to not let this ugly thing set up. AT ALL. Or Stealth Rocks, whichever comes first.

Mamoswine is a HUGE problem against this team. It's stab moves are too much for my team to handle. My best bet is sacrifice someone and send in Haxorus to drown it with Aqua Tail, assuming it's not carrying a Focus Sash. Otherwise, I have nothing.

Poison Heal Breloom is a myth. Technician Breloom is very problematic, hitting this team either neutrally or super effectively. If it gains a Swords Dance, I can't revenge kill it without taking massive damage from Mach Punch, if not ohko everything.

Yet again, Gyarados can easily take advantage of my own rain. If they're Adamant, Jolteon BARELY outspeeds it even after a Dragon Dance boost. If Jolly, TAKING NO CHANCES GOING TO HAXORUS.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Thank you for taking the time to read my first Rate My Team post and I also apologize for the rather large images. I am open to constructive criticism and look forward to feedback! Luvdiscs are very appreciated!

He-hey! I loved how you presented your Pokemon team with the villians from the show! I'm a brony as well. Even though the appearances don't mix well with the villians together but that's irrelevant to team building.

You might want to look out for other Rain teams as well since your team must have the defense to resist hard hits. You could try using a Gastrodon with Storm Drain to protect your team from opposing Water move or perhaps a Ludicolo with Rain Dish. Here are the movesets I might give to them if you want to use one of them:

Gastrodon
Nature: Calm/Sassy
EV's: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 Sp.Def
Ability: Storm Drain
Held item: Leftovers
Scald/Ice Beam
Earth Power
Toxic
Recover

Ludicolo
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 HP/152 Sp.A/104 Sp. Def
Ability: Rain Dish
Held Item: Leftovers
Scald
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Leech Seed/Toxic

Other than that, the team's great. Queen Chrysalis as a toad...that's ingenious!

Hey, cool team.

The biggest threat for your team is by far Keldeo. You have no safe switch ins and every time it switches in you'll have to sack something to Hydro Pump. You don't really have anything to revenge it either. Rotom-w can be a real nuisance too as it can just WoW your Haxorus, which is the only 'mon that can come in. A good change would be Celebi > Gliscor. A physically defensive Celebi set fits way better in that spot. It can take Fighting type attacks like Gliscor, apart from Scizor (which you have Keldeo/Politoed for). It can also switch into Rotom and Keldeo safely, while it also provides you with an answer to Breloom. Overall, I think this change would be really worth it.
Next up, I'd like to suggest Thundurus-T > Jolteon. Jolteon is really underwhelming in this metagame. It's outclassed by both Thundurus-T and Rotom-w. F.e. Jolteon is threatened out by a Bullet Punch from Scizor while Thundurus-T sets up on it. Now I really think this extra bulk in this slot would help you more than the speed of Jolteon. A SubNastyPlot set seems the best. This way you can set up on a lot of threats like Ferrothorn, Scizor, Celebi, etc.
This opens you up to Gyarados though so if you make this change you might want to run Thunder > Body Slam on Jirachi so you can hit and OHKO Gyarados baited into Bounce by your Celebi. Hope I helped. Good luck.

~Sets:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- U-turn / Nasty Plot

Thundurus (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef / 104 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Hey! Frightful. I'm here to help! Just by looking at the team before the threat list I instantly saw Mamo as a HUGE problem.

To counter this I suggest replacing Jolteon with Rotom-W. Rotom-W also gives you the power to harass all the other pokes on your threat list (besides the 2 now ubers and Breloom and Kyurem-B depending on it's set). The sets though I leave you to choose since Rotom-W could be more offense in form of choice, be a tanky attacker or straight up sp def if you need it(the sets can be found on smogon's OU page on rotom-w).

Now if you do change to Rotom-W, I suggest running full speed on Haxorus. As you said +1 volc can out speed your Haxorus, if you slap on full speed and timid nature that's no longer an issue. Sure you might lose some power, but the point of choice scarfers is to abuse their new found speed to hit threats. Plus Haxorus has that massive attack stat so not many people will take its attacks lightly. Also you could run Brick Break on Haxorus to get a fighting type move that doesn't lower your attack after use.

Hopefully this helped you!

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Frightful, nice team!

First of all, Jolteon just really isn't a very good pokemon in the current metagame. Its speed really isn't enough to justify running it over the likes of Rotom-W, who has amazing typing, bulk, resists water, and checks such a large amount of the metagame. In fact, Rotom-W not only solves your current weakness to water, but it also checks almost every single pokemon on your threat list (Rotom-W is a check to most Volcarona due to Thunder Wave, however, don't use it as your primary response to Volc in case of Lum Berry, Resto Chesto, Sub etc.) Because of this, I agree with Zeta5 on replacing Jolteon with Rotom-W (I felt it neccessary to pretty much parrot Zeta5's suggestion, not only because it helps a ton and I want to make sure you take his suggestion, but also because Zeta5 didn't post a set.)

Rotom-W may wash out most of your threatlist, but you still have troubles with Breloom and Volcarona. A simple remedy to your situation would be to run Choice Scarf Garchomp over your current Haxorus. Garchomp is much, much bulkier than Haxorus, this allows it to tank the likes of boosted Mach Punches from Breloom, and boosted hits from Volcarona much better. Not only this, but Garchomp is faster than +1 Volcarona. Overall, both threats are handled much easier with Garchomp. Garchomp is also just a better Choice Scarfer than Haxorus in general, it resists Stealth Rock, it's faster, it's bulkier, etc. Another small change that'd help a bit with Breloom would be to give Jirachi a spread of 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd. This allows it to outspeed max speed Adamant Breloom, and a few other Pokemon too.

Finally, I really think Landorus-T over your current Gliscor would benefit you greatly. In the current offensive metagame, Gliscor is often seen as dead weight, whereas Landorus-T offers very similiar bulk (only when the opposing Pokemon is at -1 Atk from Initimidate ofc), but also provides momentum, far greater offensive presence, and Stealth Rock (meaning you can run Protect over Stealth Rock on Jirachi.) Obviously, Landorus-T lacks the kind of recovery Gliscor has, so it can't switch in as often, but this is made up for with everything else it brings to the table. You may also be finding your team doesn't have quite as much power behind it after Specs Jolteon and Adamant Haxorus are gone, hopefully the extra power of Landorus-T will help mend that.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 32 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)