Smashing Gromit!

For those of you that don't know, Grommit is a dog created by Nick Park of Ardimin animations and it just happens my star underdog of this team, look a bit like the beloved clay dog. The team is a smash pass team and it don't care how cheap it might be, it's aim is to pass smashes to team mates, which cannot boost to insane levels and yes one of them is most certainly be kyurem-b!. So with out further aude lets gets see how smashing you think this team really is.

smeargle@focus sash

timid
80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe
spore
baton pass
taunt
shell smash

Smeargle is cheap, spore and shell smash, a monkey could see how a successful SP = instant win, especially if that pokemon that gets it is kyurem-b. Not only dose it solves kyurems issues with speed, suddenly base 170 seems like a dream away as it's doubled to infinity, not only this, but kyurem-'s special attack is boosted to allow him to attack using his respectable/high special attack to abuse hidden power fire, in addition to this he can also feel free to baton pass to heatran and scizor, both of which have sky high stats and one with priority to abuse. The eves are smogons standard and so is the move set, there is no real need to tamper with a good thing.

kyurem-b@leftovers

252attack 220 speed 36special attack
lonely
Dragon claw
Fusion bolt
hidden power fire
earth power

Monstrous na dit's aim is to become even more monsterous, his attack is insane, but his speed not so much. The solution? To raise both speed and attacking stats to rediculious levels that nothing on earth can avoid being 2koed by this brute. Shell smash is so essential to kyurem-b, that i have opted for 2 smashers, gorbyss and smeargle. The eves are simple, 220 speed is 4 points higher than the standard kyurem to account for the 1 point lost with hidden power fire and allow kyurem-b to function normaly with out a shell smash if that unwanted situation arrives. Maxing attack allows kyurem to make the most of a shell smash as his normal counters are easily dealt with, for example hp fire with out investment from a SS 100% of the time ko's ferrothorn, specially defensive jirachi is 2koed by fusion bolt and cannot even be ohkoed with hp fire even with life orb and max investment will not ko rachi and earth power won't ko ferrothorn. maxing attack allows a passed kyruem to deal with speed threats such as terrkion with no trouble, ko or 2 ko it's counters with relative ease.

Espeon@leaftovers

252special attack 252 speed 6hp
timid
baton pass
Calm mind
hp fighting
stored power

changed xatu to espeon to deal with phasers and keep the momentum better.

scizor@life orb

248 hp 252 attack 8 speed
adamant
U-turn
bullet punch
super power
pursuit

Naturally having a priority user on a shell smash team is a good idea in my opinion, mainly to deal with before and after a smash, scizor can abuse a bullet punch which is not going to be outdone in speed and can deal with speedy threats to kyurem and smeargle before a ss is given. What are they? namely the lati and espeon, both of who scizor can rape pretty easily and thats basically why he is here, to be a potent threat out with a smash pass, deal with potent threats to the team and be a potential reciver of a SP should the behemoth fall prey to an untimely end. Locked into a choice can make him a poor recipient so he only gets it late game or if no better option is available.

gorebyss@white herb

252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
calm
hydro pump
shell smash
baton pass
ice beam

Ye I was not too fond of the idea of using gorebyss, but smeargle cannot be relied on to get a SP to kyurem-b and he really needs it so thats why he is here. The evs are the standard ou, using hydro pump for extra power should gorebyss be forced to fight back and ice beam for dragons, should i find myself in need of a check, not named scior, ye lol. Nope pretty much here to pass it's broken cracked carcass of raw power to something else and no more.

heatran@leftovers

timid
252speed 252special attack 6 special defence
Fire blast
Hp ice
earth power
stealth rock

heatran is here to deal ith a varity of threats to kyurem-b should sp go south he has no trouble with scizors, jirachi's and other steel, namely ferro who kyruem cannoy oh ko unless he has a SS under his belt. He is also a SP recipent being slow powerful but bulky with good ressistances and a good move pool and can set up SR for the team, breloom still caused a problem for this guy through.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi there! I got your VM!

One of the biggest reasons why SmashPass isn't used so much is because of its unreliability. Although, when run successfully, the rewards are gracious, but that's the problem- it's not easy to run it successfully, and even when you do you must account for passing-counters. For example, things that can phaze can quite easily break your chain, because your only way of preventing phazing requires you to dry switch, erasing your hard earned stat boosts. To help you with this, you can definitely try Baton Pass Espeon over Xatu.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Timid / 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Baton Pass / Stored Power / Hidden Power Fighting

This may seem as if it's just making your team more standard, and it is, but to be honest BP is a very cut and dry strategy in OU, as it requires certain pokemon to function at its best, and Espeon is one of them, because the niches it fulfills can really benefit BP teams. Should a phazer come in after Smeargle Smashes, instead of potentially losing your boosts, you can BP to Espeon, who can then BP to another sweeper. In this regard, Espeon functions sort of like a shortstop, 'tagging' any rogue phazers along your way to victory. Espeon also grants you a bulky offensive sweeper that can sweep on its own or pass SpA boosts to Heatran. It can also add layers of SpA bulk onto Kyu-B or Scizor or even Gorebyss so it can tank more hits as it sets up. The set is pretty standard; max speed and SpA for macimum offensive potential and the rest for bulk. Calm Mind and Baton Pass are needed to keep up a passing chain, and Stored Power / HP Fighting grant coverage against most opponents, letting Espeon pull off sweeps too if needed.

You forgot evs on Heatran, so I'd suggest a spread of Timid / 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe for maximum sweeping potential. I also suggest that you tried Leftovers instead of Life Orb as the boost doesn't make much of a difference after SSmashes. Leftovers increases your lingetivity and lets you gradually shake off any damage you have accumulated while switching in.

Your Kyurem's spread is missing a bit too. Try 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe Lonely which is basically your current set + 36 SpA. I'm also not too sure Substitute is the absolute best move you can use; Kyu-B won't have much bulk after SSmash and your opponent could break your Sub easily, wasting 20% of your HP. A coverage move like Ice Beam to hit the bulkier Ground / Dragon types such as Donphan / Gliscor / Dnite could be useful. Or you could try Earth Power to hit Jirachi / Heatran. It's up to you.

Finally, I'm kind of doubtful that Scizor is best equipped with a Choice Band. This prevents you from using it as a potential reciever, and this is not preferred especially since it is your only answer to a bunch of threats like Mamoswine / Breloom / Physical Dragons. If you try Life Orb over Choice Band on Scizor, you will still be able to use it as a revenge killer, but then you also gain the ability to use it as a Smash passer. If you do heed to this advice, using Bug Bite is probably better than U-Turn, as it hits harder and doesn't force you to switch out and lose your boosts. However, I also understand that Scizor could be very vital as a wallbreaker / late game cleaner, so I'll leave it up to you wether you want to give it a Choice Band or not.

aaand one last little nitpick. You didn't post which ability your Gorebyss has, so I'll recommend Swift Swim instead of Hydration (if you don't have it already). You're not using Rain, so being able to have Swift Swim and a leg up against Rain teams. I know the analysis says Hydration, but it suggests Rain support too, which bans Swift Swim. Since you're not using Rain, Swift Swim would probably be more useful so you can have an offensive advantage over Rain teams.

Good luck! Nice team :)

Hi there! I got your VM!

One of the biggest reasons why SmashPass isn't used so much is because of its unreliability. Although, when run successfully, the rewards are gracious, but that's the problem- it's not easy to run it successfully, and even when you do you must account for passing-counters. For example, things that can phaze can quite easily break your chain, because your only way of preventing phazing requires you to dry switch, erasing your hard earned stat boosts. To help you with this, you can definitely try Baton Pass Espeon over Xatu.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Timid / 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Baton Pass / Stored Power / Hidden Power Fighting

This may seem as if it's just making your team more standard, and it is, but to be honest BP is a very cut and dry strategy in OU, as it requires certain pokemon to function at its best, and Espeon is one of them, because the niches it fulfills can really benefit BP teams. Should a phazer come in after Smeargle Smashes, instead of potentially losing your boosts, you can BP to Espeon, who can then BP to another sweeper. In this regard, Espeon functions sort of like a shortstop, 'tagging' any rogue phazers along your way to victory. Espeon also grants you a bulky offensive sweeper that can sweep on its own or pass SpA boosts to Heatran. It can also add layers of SpA bulk onto Kyu-B or Scizor or even Gorebyss so it can tank more hits as it sets up. The set is pretty standard; max speed and SpA for macimum offensive potential and the rest for bulk. Calm Mind and Baton Pass are needed to keep up a passing chain, and Stored Power / HP Fighting grant coverage against most opponents, letting Espeon pull off sweeps too if needed.

You forgot evs on Heatran, so I'd suggest a spread of Timid / 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe for maximum sweeping potential. I also suggest that you tried Leftovers instead of Life Orb as the boost doesn't make much of a difference after SSmashes. Leftovers increases your lingetivity and lets you gradually shake off any damage you have accumulated while switching in.

Your Kyurem's spread is missing a bit too. Try 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe Lonely which is basically your current set + 36 SpA. I'm also not too sure Substitute is the absolute best move you can use; Kyu-B won't have much bulk after SSmash and your opponent could break your Sub easily, wasting 20% of your HP. A coverage move like Ice Beam to hit the bulkier Ground / Dragon types such as Donphan / Gliscor / Dnite could be useful. Or you could try Earth Power to hit Jirachi / Heatran. It's up to you.

Finally, I'm kind of doubtful that Scizor is best equipped with a Choice Band. This prevents you from using it as a potential reciever, and this is not preferred especially since it is your only answer to a bunch of threats like Mamoswine / Breloom / Physical Dragons. If you try Life Orb over Choice Band on Scizor, you will still be able to use it as a revenge killer, but then you also gain the ability to use it as a Smash passer. If you do heed to this advice, using Bug Bite is probably better than U-Turn, as it hits harder and doesn't force you to switch out and lose your boosts. However, I also understand that Scizor could be very vital as a wallbreaker / late game cleaner, so I'll leave it up to you wether you want to give it a Choice Band or not.

aaand one last little nitpick. You didn't post which ability your Gorebyss has, so I'll recommend Swift Swim instead of Hydration (if you don't have it already). You're not using Rain, so being able to have Swift Swim and a leg up against Rain teams. I know the analysis says Hydration, but it suggests Rain support too, which bans Swift Swim. Since you're not using Rain, Swift Swim would probably be more useful so you can have an offensive advantage over Rain teams.

Good luck! Nice team :)
i'll try out espeon, through I am really even more nervous about that dam mushroom

changed kyruem, after doing so many changes and calcs it got messed up in the process. I will use earth power to help him out a bit more first.

life orb on scizor, i love that idea, he is a little bit weaker and the residual damage is so meh, but I can very well see that working.

gorebyss has swift swim, i'll add that in.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm not too good with BP but there are some minor nitpicks I have.

1. Scizor gets Baton Pass, I'd use BP over U-turn. Perhaps use Bug Bite over Pursuit as well for STAB since you won't need to trap anything with +2 stats.

2. Focus Sash is a great item for SmashPassing; I'd recommend giving that to Heatran so it can both set up SR more reliably and so it can beat Breloom.

3. As for Kyu-B, I'd give it Babiri Berry, so you can tank Scizor's Bullet Punch. You should be able to live Mach from Loom at 100%, but I can't really remember so Chople Berry is also a good option.

I'm not too good with BP but there are some minor nitpicks I have.

1. Scizor gets Baton Pass, I'd use BP over U-turn. Perhaps use Bug Bite over Pursuit as well for STAB since you won't need to trap anything with +2 stats.

2. Focus Sash is a great item for SmashPassing; I'd recommend giving that to Heatran so it can both set up SR more reliably and so it can beat Breloom.

3. As for Kyu-B, I'd give it Babiri Berry, so you can tank Scizor's Bullet Punch. You should be able to live Mach from Loom at 100%, but I can't really remember so Chople Berry is also a good option.
I forgot to change u turn for bug bite, but i'll change it and pursuit to baton pass, as i think it might be more useful.

I'll think about heatran

about kyurem-b, i just wonder if he can stand up to them at -2 defence even with the berry, i'll do some calcs and see where it lands.

thank you two again.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Focus Sash is also a great item fir KyuB, as you SS, Spore, and Pass and you don't heedto worry about priority

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)