[OU] We have Cookies!

Hi Smogon Community,

this is my team I recently made and had lots of fun with on PO. I am not a pro and just play for fun but of course being competitive is important as winning doubles the fun. Without any delay the team.

Team making process:
So I wanted to start my team with a defensive core and since I am very fond of Gliscor since GEN 4 and he is still very strong in GEN 5, my choice landed on him.

Gliscor has terrible weakness against Water and Ice type moves, so i needed someone to take these.

Now neither of them can take powerful Draco Meteors and Outrage, which are being found on nearly every team, very well, so to complete my defensive core, i needed a steel type. Ferrothorn is probably the best choice here, as the Jellithorn Combo is not without reason considered very strong.

Now offensive threats are needed. Infernape is one of my most favorite Pokemon and still viable in OU. Recruited!

In my opinion every team need some kind of priority moves. I even go as far as to say that two priority moves are necessary. So here are my priority users.

@Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Nature: Jolly (-SpA, +Spe)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- ThunderPunch

Infernape or King Kong (nickname) is usually my lead, being able to scout as he outspeeds nearly anyone. U-Turn is obvious here for that purpose. Choice Scarf Infernape is in my opinion one of the best RevengeKiller and Stallbreaker out there. The combination of Close Combat and Flare Blitz are two powerful 120 Base Dmg STAB that hits everything except for Gyarados, Jellicent, Dragonite and Tentacruel (forgot someone?) hard. ThunderPunch is merely a filler, doing decent Dmg against Jellicent and revenge killing +1 Gyarados. Never forget about his Blaze Ability. While it is usually a bad trait, I was surprised how much dmg it can deal to a Dragonite or a Hippowdon combined with Flare Blitz (think it was ~70% each). Keep it in mind when you choose your move when below 25% HP.

@Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy (-Spe, + SpD)
EVs: 252 HP, 104 Def, 152 SpD
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Here is my Ferrothorn, nicknamed Hentai. He is my Stealth Rock setupper (Every Team needs at least Stealth Rock!) and answer to Draco Meteors and Outrages. The EVs spread is a bit random, i just wanted to make sure that he has approximately the same SpD and Def in combination with his nature. Sassy Nature is there to make Gyro Ball hit harder as he is not being able to outspeed anyone anyway. I do realize that he is not even able to outspeed threats that he T-Waved, i wonder if he would have been able to with a Careful Nature. Please give me a hint here. As already mentioned before, Thunder Wave is there to cripple things that thinks Ferrothorn is just setup fodder. Power Whip hits Rotom-W, Politoad hard if they decide to stay in as Ferrothorn is usually being switched in on them. I am thinking of replacing Gyro Ball with Bulldoze though to hit Heatran and Jirachi harder but that would make me complete Setup Fodder to SubDisable Gengar. The idea behind two attack moves was to not getting completely "Walled" by such Gengars.

@Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold (-Atk, +Def)
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Def, 44 Spe
- Taunt
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

My ugly Pink Jelly or Jellicent as some People call her, is mainly there to eat Ice type moves as the last three pokemons of my team are weak to them. The EV spread is taken from smogon.com without any idea why the 44 Speed. Until now it works for me. The combination of Taunt and Toxic prevents my Pink Jelly to be complete Setup fodder to things like Volcarona. Toxic is in my opinion superior to Will-o-Wisp as it is better for handling bulky water types and pokemons that want to setup on you with the help of a recover move. Scald as the only attacking move being able to burnhax things like Dragonites. A Dragonite should never be able to think he can safely switch into Jellicent even without Will-o-Wisp!

@ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Nature: Jolly (-SpA, +Spe)
EVs: 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 Spe
- Fling
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

The last part of my defensive core and answer to physical threats. Jolly nature and 56 Speed EVs may seem weird at first glance, but it is entirely made to outspeed MaxSpeed Breloom by 1 point and OHKO it with Acrobatics. Protect is important for knowing which one of the defensive trio is to be switched in especially against Choiced opponents. Gliscor walls Terrakion like a Boss, except maybe some rare Swords Dance Sets. But those are easily Revenge Killed by Infernape and Breloom.

@Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
Nature: Adamant (-SpA, +Atk)
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Standard Techloom Set. There really isn't much to say about this set, Techloom is a horror to slow entry hazard users. I couldn't decide whether to use an adamant nature or jolly nature though. Jolly can win you a speed tie against another Breloom but adamant is so good with Fighting Gem Mach Punch, being able to OHKO a lot of things that don't resist it. Any suggestions here?

@Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
Nature: Adamant (-SpA, +Atk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Last but not least my second choiced pokemon. CB D-Nite hits like a <insert insulting word here> truck. A great answer to Reuniclus, Volcarona that already managed to set up 1 or 2 Calm Mind, Quiver Dance etc. I think there is no explanation for the set needed. But again I have to choose between adamant and jolly nature, although CB Dragonite is not too often seen as Dragon Dance is more common (correct me if I am wrong).

Make sure to read the (until now short) threat list, as it provides more informaton about the team.

Threats: (constantly being updated)
Ok, as some of you must have noticed, this team has 5(!) physical attackers and only one special attacker and that being a Jellicent. Although Skarmory is not very popular anymore (again, correct me if I am wrong), his lone presence rapes my team. Ok, I am exxagerating. Infernape is probably the only one who can do short work with Skarmory, otherwise I have to rely on my taunting Jellicent and predicting like a boss. Good news is that I am not too weak against entry hazards. Keep Infernape alive at all costs. He is the MVP in this match-up.

A bit tricky to deal with as Rotom-W can carry so many sets. Ferrothorn is definitely the most safe switch as he can take Volt Switch and Hydro Pump like it's a Breeze only but you don't want Ferrothorn to get burned and especially not to be given a Choice Scarf. If you can predict a Volt Switch, switch to Gliscor and scout with Protect what Item it carries. From there you can outpredict him like a boss, but even if you fail here, Rotom-W is generally not such a threat to your team.

Regardless of which other 3 moves it runs in addition to Substitution, it is a threat to me in every possible way. He is being able to hit anything in my team hard with Shadow Ball except for Ferrothorn. He does make short work with the matter one as every Gengar runs either Focus Blast or HP Fire. On top of that he is immune to both ExtremeSpeed and Mach Punch, my two priority moves made to check pokemon that killed one of the defensive trio. Again, keep Infernape alive at all costs. Usually I sacrifice one of my defensive trio here (Ferrothorn most of the time but depends on the situation) to break his Sub and Revenge him with Infernape.

The Dragon Dance Set with the Lum Berry is very hard to deal with. My first reaction to a D-Nite whose Set is unknown to me to switch in my Ferrothorn, trying to paralyze him. If he carries the Lum Berry, he can and will set up two Dragon Dance on me and sweep my whole team. Only chance here is to bring him with an ExtremeSpeed of my own Dragonite and Revenge it with Infernape. Only works with +1 though, if he has +2 already, pray to Lady Luck that he misclicks :P.

Regardless of what set he carries, he hits like a freaking truck. Choice Band/Scarf is probably the most easiest to handle, but Dragon Dance and Swords Dance Variants are pretty dangerous. Switch Ferrothorn in and try to get the paralysis off. If he happen to dance and kill Ferro with SuperPower and he is still at nearly full HP, you will have to sacrifice either a Priority User or Infernape and then Revenge it with either one of them.

Pretty similiar to Haxorus but easier to deal with as he don't pack as much raw power as his cousin. Generally Gliscor is a pretty safe switch-in although Swords Dance is very threatening. in that case, switch to Ferrothorn, take his Outrage, then revenge kill him. Or her.

Jellicent walls him all day and night long. Immunity to both (Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf) and Mystic Sword speaks for itself. Against the rarer CM Keldeos with HP Ghost/Dark/Grass/Electric, Taunt and Toxic him as you can still take his hits pretty well. Then predict his moves, switch around and watch Toxic Dmg adding up.

Even though he is pretty easy to predict, you can't switch in and out continuosly as he will get the right move on your switch-in eventually. He also outspeeds Breloom, so don't make the mistake that I always do, trying to KO it with Mach Punch and sacrifice your little guy. Infernape can check him. Infernape for President!

Toxicroak in the rain is just annoying. Although Jellicent walls him like a boss, u can't do anything to him with it at all. Don't go for the PP Stall either... it's boring, a waste of time and you will lose for sure. Most Toxicroaks carries either Ice Punch or Sucker Punch. The latter being more common. Gliscor can take Drain/Sucker Punchs pretty nice and take him down with EQ. Infernape can take an Ice Punch and deal awesome dmg with Flare Blitz provided it is not in the rain and he didn't carry Bulk Up as his Setup Move. Pray that he doesn't carry Ice Punch. Thank god it's not too common.

Ok that's it for now, please try out my team, I promise it will do well and provide you with loads of fun :).

Importable:
King Kong (Infernape) (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- ThunderPunch

Hentai (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Pink Jelly (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Taunt

Zoroark (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fling
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

WitchBroom (Breloom) (M) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

CutiePie (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Hello! I think your team could gain from using a LO MixApe. MixApe can get rid of the SkarmBliss combo and others users like it. Ferrothorn for example is taken down easily. Another thing I notice is you do not have a Rapid Spin user. Without, Multiscale Dragonite is near pointless as it will not have full hp. Id recommend switching Dragonite to Choice Band Donphan. It will get rid of your Dragonite problem with Ice Shard and can add Spinning Support.
Here are the sets:
Infernape@Life Orb
Naive Nature
252 Atk/Spd 4 SpAtk
-Thunderpunch
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-U-Turn

Donphan@Choice Band
Adamant Nature
252 Atk/HP 4 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
Hope this helps!

Hey PokeMasta77,

I am sorry for answering this late. University started for me yesterday so i was kinda busy^^.

Anyway, I don't think LO MixApe fit into this team and I will explain why. First of all Scarfed Infernape is my Revenge Killer for many Pokemons and Choice Scarf help himself not getting revenged by the likes of Lati@s, Gengar, Starmie, Espeon, Alakazam, Tornadus (Incarnate Form), Azelf, Dugtrio (provided they are not scarfed themselves) etc. . He also ties in Speed with Scarfed Keldeo and Terrakion even though they could be countered with one of my defensive trio. Second, as you pointed out my team lacks a rapid spinner before the eventual addition of a Donphan. Now for a pokemon that lacks the speed to outspeed a majority of OU Pokemons, while also being weak to Sandstorm, Rain (reduces the power of two main moves) and Entry Hazards , I simply don't have the right team to make LO MixApe work as he will die too fast and I need him desperately to check many things. Choice Scarf is by far better for my team.

Now to Donphan: I tested him and he DOES ease the fatal weakness of my team to 3D-Nite A LOT. However he makes my team weaker to some threats that CB Dragonite handled with ease, namely Volcarona, Reuniclus and to a certain extent a few Fighting Types, that packs Ice Punch and are slower than him ( I am staring at you poisoned Conkeldurr that don't wanna use Mach or Drain Punch on my dragon). I do get the point that Multiscale without a Spinner sucks :<.

So I took him out and replaced him with a <insert music here> this <insert word used to insult women here>:

@Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Bold (-Atk, +Def)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
- Stealth Rock (replaced Ferrothorn's SR with Leech Seed)
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power (or HP Ice)
- Roar

He ease my team's weakness to Ice, gives me another pokemon that can take Dragon type moves and in particular 3D-Nite that always carries Firepunch over Earthquake (at least I've never encountered one with EQ) and checks Volcarona and Gengar (provided he came in at nearly Full Health). I am not too sure about the IV spread though as it was only made to take as little dmg from Dragonite as possible. SpD EVs could also be a nice thing or Speed.

So what do you guys think? :)

Ps..: Threat List being updated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)