Gee

Gee

[youtube]U7mPqycQ0tQ[/youtube]​

Hey everybody and welcome to a RMT. This team is a rather odd sun team that is based around the amazing capability of AcroGem Jumpluff. I was first introduced to the idea of AcroGem Jumpluff was when my friend MapleDoom (You may know him on the PS chat as "Not Lavos Spawn") started harping on how good it is and pretty much ran it on every sun team he had. For a really long time, I shunned it really hard since at the time (I think i still do) had a mentality that makes me put Mamoswine or Weavile in nearly all of my teams; which made me believe Jumpluff was garbage. After a few weeks (or months), I really got curious on how that thing actually functions. After all, he was having decent success with it. So I decided to give it a spin and it worked absolute wonders. It pretty much gave me the niche on sun teams that I could play around with and rejuvenated my love for Sun as a playstyle. A few months later, I took another stab at Jumpluff and refined it more. The refined product is the team I am presenting to you today. It uses a core of Jumpluff+Landorus in the sun, which deals with most things in the meta and is a deadly cleaning core given Mamoswine, Weavile, and Latias are out of the way. This team is also really weird and interesting to think about since it has odd ways of dealing with a lot of the current meta's threats. Lastly, about the title... It's pretty much a representation of another thing that MapleDoom has introduced to me (that i shunned) and grew to become a new guilty pleasure of mine. SNSD is really damn cool I have no idea why they are just good. Anyway, hope you enjoy!​

-----

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
---

Weavile is an incredibly important member to the team, toppling down Dragons when Heatran can't take too much abuse and Jumpluff isn't strong enough. Weavile can simply dispose of those dangerous threats with Ice Shard -- at least most of them. You may ask "If all this is supposed to do is slay dragons, why not run Mamoswine instead?". There are 2 reasons for that. The first one is Mamoswine itself. Mamoswine can be a huge problem to the team as it can stop my two main sweepers as well as OHKOing or 2HKOing my entire team. Weavile can outspeed Mamoswine and revenge it with one swift Low Kick. The second reason to use Weavile would be Pursuit support. Weavile matches up better against the likes of Celebi and Lati@s who can easily be trapped by Pursuit or killed off with Night Slash if they stay in. This is very important since this let's Landorus sweep much easier throughout the game. Weavile combined with Gothitelle performs a really strong trapping/revenge killing core that gives a lot of offensive utility to the team. The moveset is self-explanatory. Ice Shard is priority to kill dragons such as Salamence and Dragonite, Night Slash as my main STAB while doing good damage to Celebi, Starmie, and Lati@s. Pursuit to trap anyone who thinks they can escape a Super-effective Night Slash and do massive damage to them. Lastly, Low Kick is there to revenge Mamoswine as well as hurt a lot of steel-types that would otherwise wall the set.
-----

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Trick
---

Gothitelle is the perfect partner for everything. There is no other way to put it. Gothitelle can tweak its moveset slightly or do something letting it become a good partner for nearly every offensive threat nowadays. This is why I like to call Gothitelle "anti-anti-meta" since Gothitelle can usually trap Pokemon that are "anti-meta" and let your main powerful sweepers do work. However, Choice Scarf Gothitelle is slightly different. Choice Scarf Gothitelle is pretty much a revenge killer in which the opponent has no way of switching-out and causing havoc again. This is really important to this team as I need an efficient way of getting rid of Keldeo, Mamoswine, and to an extent Gengar. Gothitelle can handily revenge kill these threats eliminating them with its STAB or one of its coverage moves. Another helpful thing it has going for it is helping in the weather war as it can do a decent chunk of damage to every single weather starter except Abomasnow who is easily dealt with anyway. It still has some wallbreaking capabilities thanks to Trick. Gothitelle now has a much faster Trick than Specs allowing you to slowly wittle down more pokemon that may outspeed you if you were Specs. Once again, the moveset is rather self-explanatory. Psyshock is to revenge kill CM Keldeo while still being a reliable STAB. Thunderbolt deals with some Pokemon such as Skarmory, Slowbro or Politoed. Grass Knot is primarily used to revenge kill Mamoswine or kill of Hippowdon or Tyranitar.
-----

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stealth Rock
---

Heatran is the thing I will be switching in a lot of the time. It is pretty much the pivot for such a offensive team. Heatran is the only Dragon-Resist of the team as well as the user of Stealth Rock of the team. Heatran is probably the most useful Pokemon here as it offers so much to the table. First of all, it is my main switch-in to SashChomp leads as it is resistant to Outrage and immune to EQ with Air Balloon. It also switches in on opposing Heatran, who usually lead predicting Ninetales. Another thing it can do is switch-in to Jirachi, who can wall Jumpluff a lot. It is pretty much my main switch-in to Steel-types that wall Jumpluff. With all that aside, Heatran can still function as a decent hole-puncher. Especially with the Flash Fire boost, Fire Blasts boosted in the sun hurt to everything, even some who resist it. Also, some people switch in Garchomp as soon as they see rocks thinking I am a Specially Defensive set, only to be dealt with by HP Ice. The moveset is rather self-explanatory as well. Fire Blast is the main STAB move here. Earth Power and HP Ice give strong coverage hitting opposing Heatran, Fire, Rock, Flying and Dragon-types.
-----

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 240 HP / 168 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Pain Split
---

Ninetales can probably be considered the heart of the team. Ninetales offers the sun support that lets Jumpluff double its speed as well as boosting the power of Heatran's Fire Blast. Contrary to most people's belief, Ninetales does have some capabilities outside of Drought. It is not bad at taking Draco Meteors and healing it off with Pain Split. A good example of this is when I am against Hydreigon. Most Hydreigon tend to switch-in on Ninetales in order to get their "free kill" on something. However, if I predict it to go for Superpower, I can stay in tanking both attacks and Pain Splitting them off before going into Heatran. However, Ninetales' best support out of sun is easily burn. It can spread burn on some rather dangerous pokemon turning them to less of a threat. This specific Ninetales an EV spread to outspeed and burn Mamoswine in particular; a big threat to the team. Even though Ninetales doesn't do much, it still does something aside from Drought. The moveset is the standard Specially Defensive set. Flamethrower is the main STAB. Pain Split is the means of recovery. Will-O-Wisp can spread burn and Sunny Day can nab weather from opposing weather switch-ins.
-----

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
---

Landorus is part 1 of the cleaning/sweeping core. Landrous is easily the most powerful cleaner in the current metagame. Thanks to its good bulk, it can easily net a Rock Polish boost and start sweeping after it's counters are gone/weakened. There is no other way to sugarcoat it. If Mamoswine/Weavile/Lati@s/Celebi is dead, Landorus uses Rock Polish and wins. Landorus can easily smash through teams while threatening out the main threats to Jumpluff, while Jumpluff in turn deals with Celebi as well as giving Landorus some set-up opportunities with Sleep Powder occasionally. Landorus is an incredible pokemon now thanks to the massive power of a Modest Nature+Sheer Force+Life Orb boosted attacks and not much as of now can stop it. The set is the standad bulky RP set. the EV investment gives optimal bulk and as much speed as you would need with max Special Attack. Earth Power+HP Ice+Focus Blast gives really good coverage to Landorus and it can sweep through unprepared teams.
-----

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- Spore(I wish) Sleep Powder
---

Jumpluff is the star of the team. The center piece strikes really hard doing massive damage as soon as Steel-types/Mamoswine is out of the way. While you may laugh at Jumpluff's measly base 55 Atk stat. It actually can be surprisingly strong thanks to Swords Dance and the sheer power of Acrobatics. The amount of Base Power Acrobatics has with the Flying gem is absolutely monstrous and mitigates the lack of Attack Jumpluff has. Jumpluff can easily clean through offensive teams once the specified threats are gone as well as offering great support with Sleep Powder. Jumpluff can be used 2 ways. The first way is to be used as a Sleep Lead early on and then use it to clean-up late game. The last way to use it is just to preserve it all the way until late-game. Jumpluff as a sleep lead is particularly useful as it helps vs Custap Skarm/Sash SR leads like Terrakion or Chomp. Stealth Rock is a major problem to the team and being able to identify the SR user and put it to sleep with Jumpluff is a huge asset to the strategy of the team. With that aside, it will strike again late-game tearing up the entire team thanks to the massive power of Acrobatics. Jumpluff and Landorus are a really strong offensive core in cleanup as not much can deal with them combined thanks to the insane pressure they give. Jumpluff is also the main sun abuser, using Ninetales' Drought to outspeed everything relevant in the metagame. You may be new to the set so here is how it works. Sleep Powder is used to get rid of a threat or get a Swords Dance boost easier. With a Swords Dance boost you can smash through the opposition with Seed Bomb and Acrobatics. Jumpluff also really helps against Volcarona; who is usually a big threat to sun teams. Other synergy Jumpluff has is having Gothitelle trap Mamoswine and Skarmory to make it's life easier.
-----

-----

Alright so there we have it! The team is really fun to play and I won't doubt the weaknesses it has but it is a great team in general and i really recommend you try out SD Jumpluff, it's a beast. Common cores such as the Tyranitar+Keldeo+Landorus core can be dealt with by trapping keldeo with Gothitelle and then wrecking it with Weavile. There are a lot of nifty ways to play around the most dominant playstyles in the meta making this a hard but fun and rewarding team to play. Of course there are some weaknesses like Stealth Rock; which forces me to play a guessing game on the user and risk Jumpluff to a Sleep Powder miss occasionally, but the team is really cool. Rate, Hate, Steal, Luvdisc all ya want now! Shoutout to MapleDoom for introducing Jumpluff to me and to Princess Bri who let me use his format.

-----

Jumpluff (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Weavile (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Low Kick

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 240 HP / 168 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Pain Split

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
Hi! Interesting team you have here, I like the use of Jumpluff!
Right off the bat I see a big weakness; Stealth Rocks. Everyone on your teams takes either neutral or super effective damage everytime you switch in, really limiting the life span of especially Ninetales, whom you need to keep alive 'til the weather war is won. Reading through, Weavile seems the most expendable, so I'd recommend replacing Weavile with Physically Defensive Forretress. Forretress can set up spikes that will give both Jumpluff and Gothetelle an easier time to trap / sweep, and Forretress can switch in on physical dragons that Heatran may have a hard time switching on since, as you stated before, he's your only answer to dragons.

Next, one issue i have with this team is if you lose the weather war against a rain team, everyone turns into fish food. So to fix this, I'd replace Landorus with Dragon Dance Dragonite. Dragonite has more firepower after a Dragon Dance boost, can tank water attacks if need be, and gives you priority to finish off weakened foes that may come back to haunt you.
Here are the sets, good luck with your team!

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish
0 Spd IV's
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
~Rapid Spin
~Spikes
~Volt Switch
~Gyro Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Multiscale
Adamant
252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Outrage
~Fire Punch / Earthquake
~ExtremeSpeed

Before I criticize your use of Jumpfluff, can you give me some examples of what it ko's with that Flying Gem, and afterwards, as well? I am genuinely curious regarding his damage output.

Before I criticize your use of Jumpfluff, can you give me some examples of what it ko's with that Flying Gem, and afterwards, as well? I am genuinely curious regarding his damage output.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3480934

This is the analysis I wrote up for it. If you want more descriptions on how great the thing is you can see it. It's actually a solid offensive cleaner for sun teams. Here are some really damn scary calcs for 55 Atk.

+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Tentacruel: 328-387 (90.1 - 106.31%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 297-351 (77.34 - 91.4%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus-T: 229-270 (76.58 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It really can do a decent chunk of damage to pretty much everything. However, I think Jumpluff's best thing going for it is the fastest Sleep Powder in the game while maintaining a high offensive presence. Even though Jumpluff is walled by Steel-types, it can really wreck and if you look at the team support it works really damn well getting rid of most of it's checks and counters. Please do not question SD Jumpluff as it has already been approved for a smogon analysis.

@Frightful. I really wanted to put a Forry on the team but I wasn't sure where to put it :). If I put Forry over Weavile, it kinda ruins a lot of offensive momentum though. It does seem like a viable option since there isn't another offensive spinner that works in the sun (Starmie? lol donphan) so a defensive spinner might just work out. I will have to run HP Ice>Volt Switch though since i still need a better way to deal with Dragons especially if i pick Dnite>Landorus. That brings me to Dnite. I really like it sure, since with Fire Punch it deals with Lati@s better now that weavile is absent, but I honestly think that without Weavile, it's gonna be rather harder to topple ScarfMence/ScarfLatios since they can play the Fblast vs Dragon-type move mindgame with me. Gothitelle is helpful in the weather war and Jumpluff is far from dead weight v. rain but it all seems good. I'm actually looking at NP Celebi with Earth Power to deal with some steels too over Landorus while checking rain. Also, I will be a lot more vunerable to DD Dragons with any Ground or Fire coverage since I need to play a mindgame. Also since I need HP Ice and Gyro Ball, i'm gonna be weakening a lot of my offensive momentum, which might end up forcing me to sac a mon; a situation i never want to be in especially for this team.

@Electrolyte Hey man! The first paragraph pretty much sums up my thoughts about the team. I have been using Weavile+Gothitelle as a offensive glue core on a lot more than this team and it really supports stuff the team well so I think you identified what keeps the team from crumbling vs offensive threats. About your change, I used to run Flamethrower/Pain Split/Roar/WoW but I decided to drop Roar for Sunny Day (actually sunny day isn't in my importable lol i might fix that depending if i finalize the changes) Roar really does help vs stuff but tbh Latias is easily checked by Weavile as well as Reuniclus. Volcarona isn't scary since Jumpluff checks it all day. It does let me play a lot less risky tho since it takes stress of some members of my team; something I really need.

About the optional changes, I have pretty much thought of every one of them too. Forretress does kill offensive momentum and my problems with Forretress were what you mentioned and what I replied to Frightful on. I have a lot of variants of this team (I even have a variant of it for Tier Shift lol). One of them uses Xatu>Gothitelle but slaps a Scarf on Heatran (with SolarBeam i might add lol, it acutally surprises some offensive politoed who switch-in and think they are faster) it can revenge mamoswine on some situations and can hit keldeo for some decent damage in the sun and I kinda have Jumpluff to revenge it too given it's in the sun. It is a lot harder to win the weather war and I'm a lot more reliant on it though, so that variant was not as successful as the one I showcased here.

You also mentioned a weakness to rain. Rain can sorta be dealt with by playing Jumpluff and Weavile a lot more risky. Offensive Politoed gets killed off with a combination of Night Slash+Thunderbolt so that's always a help with the weather war while bulky variants can either get choice locked or just take massive damage from Gothitelle. However it still is a slight issue so one of my variants lessens that weakness by replacing Gothitelle with Latias and Landorus with SubSD Terrakion to alleviate the subsequent Mamoswine weakness. Yeah I have tried some of your stuff and Donphan was in the first Jumpluff team I built. Thanks for the ideas I might try out Forry a bit more tho. Also I really should keep Roar.

Placeholder for more replies

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there The Unlucky One, I got your request!

This team is far from your standard Sun team, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. The team is so closely knit offensive wise that in order to cover a small problem (such as hazards) many changes must be made and the team just becomes less and less of what it is supposed to be. It probably works a lot better off paper, because Weavile and Gothitelle are able to cover most things that wall Lando / Jumpluff despite their lack of defensive synergy and therefore it is not tough for you to sweep. As you've said, your Stealth Rock issue can be quite easily overcome with smart playing, and there simply is no room for a spinner / magic bouncer, as the former take down offensive synergy and the latter only makes you weaker to pokemon like Mamoswine or Choice Band Terrakion.

So, I'll just make one minor suggestion. I'd definitely run Roar over Pain Split on Ninetales for some phazing action and to force out pokemon like SubCM Latias, HP Rock Volcarona, or CM Reuniclus. Pain Splite requires prediction and is not very reliable damage-wise either. Roar lets you phaze and therefore keep opposing setup sweepers somewhat at bay, and can force out Heatrans or other pokemon you can't really touch.

If hazards are really making you frustrated, you can definitely try a spinner such as Forretress over Weavile or Heatran, but this might bring more problems than it solves because Forretress lacks offensive momentum and would make you weaker to DDancers with Fire type coverage. Xatu could also be used over Gothitelle but this makes you weak to Terrakion and Keldeo as well as Mamoswine, creating even more provlems than the original issue with hazards. Donphan is an interesting option over Weavile because it revenges Dragons and Spins, however it too adds to your weakness of Mamoswine and Water types (Rain) too. They're all possible solutions to your predicament, however, so if you wanted to try them they could bring good results.

Other than that, I don't have anything to say. Cool team! :)

Sup man interesting sun team utilizing a very rare and suprisingly powerful jumpluff. I saw those damage calcs for jumpluff and I was skeptic at first, but after seein them it's clear the thing can hit hard after a boost which it can easily get off with sleep powder. Uhh as for changes there are couple others have addressed yet I'll reiterate ones I thought stood out the most as problems. For starter's, you definitely need a rapid spinner of some sort, weaville seems the most expendable as it serves such a small purpose and can be played around quiet easily (I.e if I see you have a weaville im not just going to leave starmie in or latios in etc) , not to mention without a spinner and a life orb you really limit weavilles switch ins so id sac him altogether for a spinner. Defensive forry would b a great option because you can now switch heatran's stealth rocks for sunny day because forry's rocks and spinning covered. Sunny day on heatran is beastly, take off earth power for solarbeam (as it hits t tar nearly as hard as earth power would and shits on the toad). With sunny day on heatran you can help ninetales win the weather war. I think a choice spec gothitelle is better than a scarf. You'll like that extra power to net KO's idk what exactly but I've seen calcs somewhere not to metion gothitelle has nice bulk so she can take a hit. And lastly take off pain split on ninetales for solarbeam so you can actually threaten politoed when you use that sunny day on the switch. Other then that nice team man and good luck.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You might want a more reliable Heatran trapper IMO. I know Politoed and Hippowdon are issues, but I reckon Heatran can be more annoying. Neither Landorus or Weavile can switch into it, and it walls everything else. I think Dugtrio might be more useful for this team, since it kills Heatran a lot easier. For Politoed, you can trap it and EQ it a couple times due to Focus Sash (or SR + Reversal), then Pursuit it with Weavile. Just a thought. Otherwise, it's a great team. Jumpluff is amazing.

It's kinda weird fitting all the replies into 1 so i'll just do it as multiple posts.

@thenewguy24 Thanks a lot for the team rate man! First of all Forretress over Weavile has been suggested quite a bit and I think I explained my reasons against it above and Electrolyte said some stuff about it too. It really makes me weaker to Dragons with Fire Coverage, makes me lose momentum, and i need all of Gyro Ball/Volt Switch/HP Ice if i want it to function correctly by checking dragons and Mamoswine while regaining offensive momentum, which weavile does brilliantly. Sadly that either has me remove SR or Rapid Spin which removes the whole point in the first place. Specs>Scarf is something that kinda makes sense but Scarf is pretty much required to revenge Mamo and Keldeo which is pretty much the sole purpose that thing is on my team aside from the weather war. Specs definitely helps in that regard but Scarf really patches up the major weakensses of the team. SunnyBeam Weather Trapping Heatran is a good option to help in the weather war too, but of course I need to run Forry with that and that's something i'm still not 100% sure of. Thanks for the rate!

@shrang I just want some clarity. Do you recommend Duggy over Gothitelle or Lando? Probably Goth so i'll explain stuff about it. Gothitelle is SO important when ti comes to revenging threats as it is the primary component of core dismantling when it comes to the top tier stuff going on. Thanks for the rate man! also, yeah SD Jumpluff is beast. You saw the light in it as well man

Your team is actually quite balanced. Although, as you mentioned, Mamoswine can do so much work to your team! Weavile can't really switch in on it unless it is on a predicted ice shard. As you said low kick ohkoe's Mamoswine with the standard investment of 4 Def.

Your idea of using Jumpluff on this sun team seems pretty nice. All the calcs you posted left the opponent pretty much alive with a tiny amount of health. This means that you have to keep Jumpluff alive until the late game when you will have the mist chances of sweeping with it.

I can also see Gothitelle as an interesting way of winning weather wars. With your moveset it can face all common weather starters( except Tyranitar which it takes 3 hits to KO but until then you will be dead)

All in all this team is great and you will definitely see it working. In a metagame where rain teams totally depend on the weather to win u will definitely have an advantage!

Good Luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)