Creative Rain OU RMT

Hello everybody this is my 2nd rmt and is in my experience better than my first one. Please help me improve my team and all that other stuff.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat

Yes Smeargle however this Smeargle is different than other Smeargles because it's used to set up hazards rather than smashpass. With focus sash I'm pretty much guaranteed a spore and at least 1 entry hazard. I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with the last slot and thinking about putting something there to counter Espeon.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is pretty much the standard Politoed. I usually send him in after Smeargle dies to put rain up as soon as possible. Hydro pump is the best water stab for him. Ice beam is for Latias, Dragonite, Celebi, and Virizion. Focus blast is for Ferrothorn. Hp grass is for Gastrodon and Jellicent.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot

This is a very rare Celebi set. I use it to baton pass nasty plots to my other pokemon usually keldeo though. With recover and its already great bulk It'll be baton passing a good amount of boosts. Psychic is there for coverage but obviously I'm open for suggestions like giga drain or calm mind instead of nasty plot.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Secret Sword

This is a little different than the standard keldeo. I felt like having both hydro pump and surf was a waste of a moveslot and put in surf because of my celebi baton passing nasty plot. Then I put hp ghost for Jellicent and Celebi while icy wind is my replacement for hp ice. Secret sword is obvious.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

The common expert belt Thundurus-T set. Except for the evs. I picked those to have more bulk but if the more standard ev spread is better than by all means I'll change it. As for the expert belt I chose it to trick people into thinking I'm choice scarfed and I find it still does a pretty good job of getting OHKO compared to the life orb set.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- U-turn

The very annoying paraflinch jirachi. The ev spread is pretty common. Iron head + Body slam is for paraflinch. Wish is for support and sometimes used for himself (itself?). I'm thinking of changing u-turn for protect or whatever you guys recommend.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team dude :)

First thing is you really want a Ghost-type Pokemon. Smeargle is the kind of Pokemon that lays hazards quickly but also does NOT last long. Its gunna be very common, as I'm sure you know, for Smeagle to be out before turn 5. Because of this enemies are gunna have a pretty easy time spinning against you. Starmie can spin against a lot of your team, and it only needs to spin the one time as Smeargle will very likely be gone.

With that I recommend replacing Thundurus-T with Gengar. Gengar maintains your Special attacker role while also preventing spins, even if just once. But once is all thats needed, if you switch Gengar into a Starmie to block spin and it dies to something like Hydro Pump then you can bring in Keldeo and revenge it with Hidden Power Ghost, if the opponent wants to conserve Starmie well then itll have to take more passive damage next time it comes in and will most likely go down without spinning. Gengar is also another awesome recipient for Celebi's Nasty Plot Baton boosts. I would recommend the classic Sub Disable set because it takes advantage of your hazards and forces a lot of switches.

I also recommend replacing Body Slam with Thunder on Jirachi. With Thundurus-T gone bulky waters like Jellicent become a little harder to deal with. This change alleviates that a little while staying primarily the same.

Good Luck!

Gengar @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Hey man,
I'm glad you are trying to be creative with this rain team instead of slapping together a generic one. That being said creativity can come at a cost and can be much harder to use than generic teams. Anyway, I feel like your team lacks a real strategy. I see you have Nasty plot+Baton pass on Celebi. You should make this team based around one receiver preferably Keldeo. Keldeo has monstrous STAB watter attacks under rain and will crush anything with +2 Special attack. Thundurus is also a viable reviever but Keldeo should be your main one. I feel like you could use some help against Latios, Latias, and other Dragons. Choice Band Scizor is a great candidate against the mentioned threats. You should run a bulky spread with 252HP/252Atk/4Spd with an Adamant nature. This will get some momentum flowing with U-turn and Scizor appreciates rain weakening fire attacks. I would replace Celebi with this Scizor. Additionally you want an esprit counter which Scizor easily checks. You also have problems with Sun Teams so perhaps run a Calm Mind Latias. It's bulky and can outspend threats like Dragonite, Garchomp, and Salamence. It also finds many oppurtunities to set up against sun teams and can tank fire attacks. I would use Latias over Thundurus-t. Overall this is a decent team but it could be better. Take what I've suggested in to consideration and I think you can do much better!

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey banana1! I like your team. It has a cool suicide lead that is rarely used, but can be very effective, especially since people almost always assume Smash Pass when they see Smeargle.

I agree with Joeyboy that you shoudl switch Body Slam with Thunder on Jirachi. If you're in the rain, why not use a much MUCH more powerful attack than Body Slam, which also allows you to deal with Ghost types like Gengar. Thunder also has supereffective coverage on certain things that would otherwise be a pain for Jirachi (rain Tenta, Jellicent, etc.). However, I don't think you shoudl replace Thundurus-T with Gengar, since after that, Thundurus-T can run right through your team. because you're keeping Thundy-T (if you want), I would change HP Grass on Politoed to HP Electric to better deal with Sub DD Gyarados, which can be a problem for your team if it sets up to +1. You also don't need HP Grass since Gastrodon is already lured in and KO'd by Grass Knot on Thundurus-T, which makes HP Electric the better choice overall.

Anyway, sorry if this wasn't a very long rate, but there's not too much I can see to change. Hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

So i changed celebi for cb scizor and it's going great. Also did what you joeyboy/halcyon suggested except kept thundurus-t and is going good as well. Thanks guys :)

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so I got the PM so I'm gonna give my 2 cents. Apart from Smeargle it actually seems like a very standard Rain team, which by no means is a bad thing. However, I'm going to suggest a few things to you, which I believe will make the team better.

I would like to first start off by replacing Smeargle with Custup Berry Forretress, as it's typing is more useful, and Forretress can spin (I know Smeargle can learn Rapin Spin, but Forretress does generally do it better). Sure you will miss out on Spore, but I honestly think Forretress' advantages make up for it (remember to test everything and see what fits you best!).

Now that you have yourself an extra Steel type, I would actually suggest replacing Jirachi with Latias. Now I'm not sure on what set, but that doesn't matter too much (again, test everything to see what suits you best). The reason for this is because you are very weak to Sun teams, and Latias does well against them, resisting the popular Grass and Fire type attacks. Latias also has amazing synergy with Keldeo.

Other then that, it does seem like a really good team. Congrats, I hope my changes help you in some way :]

tl;dr

Replace Smeargle with Forretress (Custup Berry)
Replace Jirachi with Latias

Shootinstarmie if i dont replace smeargle with forretress but replace celebi with scizor would you still recommend the latias switch?
And should i use thunder or psyshock on latias?

Gimmick

Electric potential
Hey Banana1!

Your name is majestic. And your team is pretty cool. I do have a couple suggestions though. Firstly, I noticed that your team struggles quite a bit against Sun. Ninetales can switch in on basically everything except for Politoed and net your opponent major advantage. That's a problem, especially when half your team is next to useless/can barely do any damage with the sun up. Also, you lack a strong physical attacker to muscle through special walls like Celebi and Chansey. All of your power comes from Thundurus, Keldeo, and Politoed who don't really have a wide variety of options. I'm not quite sure what Thundurus is doing for your team other than abusing Celebi's Nasty Plot, which doesn't seem to work often with a weakness to SR, no Agility, and the fact that it's slower than many relevant threats with that spread.

So, I recommend you replace Thundurus with DD Dragonite. Dragonite fairs very well against opposing Sun teams because of its defensive and offensive typing. Not only that, but it's also a physical sweeper, so it addresses both of your problems with only 1 Pokemon. It has wonderful synergy with your team and can take advantage of Jirachi's Wish passes to be like this:
...to Stealth Rock.
It can set up on a ton of threats to this team like Celebi and Chansey and proceed to take out threats for a later game Keldeo sweep. Now, you do lose Grass Knot to lure in and take out Gastrodon, but considering it doesn't see much usage and Dragonite can seriously weaken it, I don't see it being much of a problem. The Dnite set I recommend is as follows:
(F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Superpower

It's the standard set with Superpower to hit Ferrothorn, Skarm, Jirachi, and Heatran. I'm sure you know what it does.

And my last couple suggestions will be very minor. I recommend you change your Politoed spread to 224 HP / 252 SAtk / 32 Spd with the same nature. It allows you to outspeed other Politoed, Scizor, Skarmory, some Magnezone, Jellicent, and bulky Breloom. The bulk difference is barely noticeable, but you outspeed many many other threats. And next, on Keldeo, due to the change to Dragonite, I feel like a change from HP Ghost to HP Electric will definitely help your team quite a bit. Dragonite's addition made SDef Celebi much easier to deal with and HP Ghost does so little damage anyway. DD Gyarados can be problematic to this team, and HP Electric OHKOs almost 100% of the time on every variant, so you're pretty much set with only 1 little change. This way, you can keep HP Grass on Politoed and continue to lure in Gastrodon that way.

And that's all I got! Great team, good work, and thanks for sharing!

Hi there banana, i don't want to offend you but it's nothing creative about it its nothing but a typical rain team with smeargle over ferothonrn
(smeargle was common lead in generation 4)

All that your opponent has to do is to taunt your smeargle and set dragon dance he can even get a double dance if it has lum berry , or simply break through his sash with dual chop at the first turn completely shutting down your entry hazards support with pokemons like haxorus witch can take easily one icy wind and even with the speed drop nothing will out speed them in your team

A typical scenario against a dragon spam/ drag mag team :
i bet your first reaction to kyurem-B switching on your politoed is switching to your jirachi you will get surprised when you see this

250 Atk Positive Nature +1 Teravolt Kyurem-B's Outrage (120 BP) Against
250 HP / 0 Def Neutral Nature Serene Grace Jirachi In The Rain.
Probable Damage: 196 - 231 (48.64% - 57.32% of 403 HP).
66.02% chance to 2HKO.

after you sacrifice toed because you probably don't want to waste jirachi especially against a dragon spam /drag-mag team (most of them do so ) after that you will probaply try to revenge kill it with keldeo you will try to sword it, if haxorus did its job right there will be no entry hazards and your keldeo will fail to 1hko losing keldeo as well
252 SAtk Neutral Nature Justified Keldeo's Secret Sword (85 BP) Against
0 HP / 0 Def Neutral Nature Teravolt Kyurem-B In The Rain.
Probable Damage: 278 - 330 (71.1% - 84.4% of 391 HP).
100% chance to 2HKO.

the rest of the team will be ridiculously exposed to choice specs lati@s if you haven't forfeit yet lati@s will crash it to the last Pokemon the same goes for scarfmence witch can also take one icy wind most of the times .

interesting micromanaging in your Pokemon's though there a few interesting details
but not that many so you can call it creative, you should change smeargle over ferrothorn something that would change this team's entire character and you should defenetly use max speed Thundurus so its going to be able to revenge kill many scarfed and un scarfed threads after they get the icy wind speed drop.

do you have the user name bananaman in PS ?

good luck

Try using Agility over grass knot on thundy.

with np being passed to thundy, you will likely force a switch (depending on situation OBV)
and if you manage to get an agility up you are very likely to sweep

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)