(Hi) Jump Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do not post here unless you are a Council Member or Deck Knight. Anyone else who posts here WILL be moderated, & possibly infracted. Thank you.

Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick are two pretty good moves, but there are one or two issues with these moves:
  1. With the current wording, using one of these moves against a Ghost-type means no crash damage.
  2. The crash damage is variable, thereby deviating from the in-game version. Your mileage may vary regarding how much of an issue this is.
To resolve these issues, a few solutions were proposed, and using IRV we shall decide which of the following to do:
[box]Retain the current Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick
Add clauses to Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick that codify targeting a Ghost-type as missing and that Ghost typing is considered neutral when calculating crash damage
Change the crash damage to 8 for Jump Kick and 12 for Hi Jump Kick
Change the crash damage to 10 for Jump Kick and 15 for Hi Jump Kick
[/box]

The first option to reach majority will be implemented. Now let's vote.

Add clauses to Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick that codify targeting a Ghost-type as missing and that Ghost typing is considered neutral when calculating crash damage
Retain the current Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick

Let me make this perfectly clear. The Ghost-type loophole isn't the only problem I see with these two moves. The other problem is that it does not make sense for the crash damage to be based on how much damage the attack would have dealt. By that logic, a Medicham missing a Hi Jump Kick versus a Dragonite takes less damage than the same Medicham missing a Hi Jump Kick versus a Tyranitar. How in the name of all that is holy does that make sense? It's not like Medicham's kick had more power behind it when it was attempting to strike the Tyranitar.

Really, this speaks to a much broader issue with how recoil damage in general is calculated. But that's another issue for another day.

EDIT:

Really, this speaks to a much broader issue with how recoil damage in general is calculated. But that's another issue for another day.
As I always say, if you are scripting a competitive game, sometimes balance > flavor and you have to roll with it.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Word of God said:
In the meantime, Council puts all game-mechanic changing proposals on hold, at least until the DAT recompilation is complete.
Shouldn't we be taking this seriously?

Add Clauses to Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick that codify targeting a Ghost-type as missing and that Ghost typing is considered neutral when calculating crash damage

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

@ Frosty: DAT re-compilation has not started yet.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
This sort of balancing with recoil isn't fully accurate in flavour itself if I'm honest.

Stratos

Banned deucer.

i'm sorry but i have to put game balance > flavor at the moment (and every other moment)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think this change should be too radical at this point, I agree that game balance is more important right now, and that down the road this can be revisited if necessary.

For a majority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)