Sharpedo [Choice Band] [QC: 0/3] [WIP]

Why this should deserve to be on-site:

• Aqua Jet lets it check a lot of common threats like Landorus and Volcarona; it's about 8% weaker than Azumarill's Aqua Jet
    • 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor in rain: 180-213 (52.47 - 62.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor in rain: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.76%) -- 25.39% chance to 2HKO
  • Isn't necessarily outclassed by Azumarill due to much better coverage than it + Speed Boost. CB Gyarados is more of a bulky pivot and lacks Aqua Jet, Speed Boost, and no SR Weakness
  • Pretty surprising with Aqua Jet since a Terrakion would want to KO with Close Combat, and another example is Thundurus-T (after Stealth Rock) wanting to kill Sharpedo with Thunderbolt
    • 252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus-T in rain: 204-240 (68.22 - 80.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Doesn't have to worry about LO recoil
  • More Power means it can blaze through teams with Drizzle support using Waterfall or even Crunch
  • Isn't as bad when facing sand or hail teams since it's still pretty strong and doesn't have to worry about LO + SR + Sand / Hail Damage compunded or maybe even spikes, and both suck in sun teams forcing it to use Crunch and Earthquake. However, Crunch is still stronger with CB and can KO useless Venasuar with some prior damage or just Ice Fang if using it. Earthquake also surprises Ninetales for the Ko thinking that they'll KO with Energy Ball / take a Waterfall easily
  • Both need Rain Support to function effectively, but the extra power compared to LO is greatly appreciated in other rweather
  • Problem is being locked in one move, especially if it's Ice Fang. EQ isn't that bad. Another one is no Protect, so you have to play a little more carefully.

I've played with Choice Band Sharpedo a lot and I think it deserves a set and has some good potential ranging from a Volcarona, Terrakion, Landorus, to even a some frail pokemon like Tornadus. I'll finish the the Skeleton ASAP
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Avoid QC Rejection [ ]
[*]Skeleton [ ]
[*]QC Approved 2/3 [ ]
[*]Written [ ]
[*]QC Approved 3/3
[*]GP Approved 2/2
[*]Upload [ ]
[/LIST]

Sharpedo
Reserved

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Ice Fang / Earthquake
item: Choice Band
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• WIP
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Ferrothorn removal: Magnezone, Terrakion, etc.
  • Rain support is mandatory
  • WIP

Neliel

Sacred Sword
im not a qc member but having played extensively with sharpedo ill give you my opinion. i dont really see why cb sharpedo should be used over the lo set, here is why
if its for aqua jet, its usable too with the life orb set (crunch wfall protect jet isnt bad), if its for terrakion and thundurus or whatever else, you can just protect with the lo set and ko them the following turn because you will be faster. The lo recoil doesnt really matter, in my experience a 100% sharpedo was the same as a 30% one, just one hit and it dies. What you get with cb is being locked which is terrible, and the lack of protect will never let you sweep (unless you can come in on something slower that you can ko, which isnt easy to do)

I've used Sharpedo immensely, and I think the CB set has its Pros over the LO set. Being Locked into a move isn't that bad as one thinks for something like Sharpedo and the Water-STAB is great. I agree with the Protect thing, but that is its only real flaw, but that won't hold it back from a sweep. It hits thing enormously harder than LO and the Lo damage is a huge downfall when facing opposing weather. In Sand and Hail, it dies too quickly, and in Sun, it sucks. Atleast Sharpedo hits harder and doesn't die as fast.
252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 260-308 (61.9 - 73.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (in rain; though rare = barely OHKO after Rocks)

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magnezone in rain: 271-319 (96.09 - 113.12%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in rain: 318-375 (88.82 - 104.74%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr in rain: 318-375 (83.46 - 98.42%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus in rain: 357-420 (87.28 - 102.68%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO (Magic Guard)

If you manage to get Spikes, it's pretty much GG. Most resists like Rotom-W can't switch-in because of Waterfall's immense power compared to LO and Crunch is coverage moves alongside with it. Crunch's boost is also important as most pokemon that run even the heaviest of bulk will find them selves OHKOed - 2HKOed (a strong one) if not resisted.

For these reasons, I find that Choice Band Sharpedo isn't the best set out there, but functions as a good wall-breaker, better sweeper, better aid for defeating these other weather mons.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am not "wowed" by this set, mostly because I find protect being very useful. FOr instance, if I can naturally outspeed something, I can kill it, and get to +1 at the end of the turn via speed boost. Next turn, when my opponent tries to revenge kill me I protect again, and now reach +2 speed and outspeed.

With Choice Band, you don't get this, and you are locked into a single move, so you don't really get to abuse your fantastic water / dark coverage. On sharpedo, I really favour LO in this because if they have something like a Celebi / Jellicent backed up with a Dark Resist, you are ALWAYS coinflipping whereas with LO you have that bit of extra freedom.

Your calculations don't really wow me either. FOr instance, Mag usually runs more HP than what you listed (in my experience), and I don't really know why you are calculating a Waterfall on Conk when I bet Mach Punch would cripple / KO you.

In Sand and Hail, it dies too quickly, and in Sun, it sucks. At least Sharpedo hits harder and doesn't die as fast.
I disagree actually. Sure, losing 16% per turn really sucks, but this is mitigated by your own weather. Secondly, I still prefer the freedom to switch moves and thirdly, its not THAT bad under sunlight when Crunch does a fair amount to Venusaur anyway. Please, your revenged by less.

Your still not selling me on this set sorry.

EDIT QC REJECTED 2/3

you can use aqua jet on life orb too and it ends up being better. also read above.

qc rejected 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)