The counter game: rules discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am sure many of you have played the counter game; in fact I doubt any people who have not have clicked on this thread. It is a fun game but the rules have been a bit uncertain, and some changes implemented by most players have been ignored by a few. This thread is to clear up the confusion, and discuss the exact rules.

Rule 1:
No ubers:
It does not say in the first post that you can not use ubers, however most players have assumed this.

Rule 2:
No hacks:
It does not say in the first post that you can not use hacks, however most players have assumed this.

Rule 3:
No shedninja:
This is the most controversial rule so far, but it has been agreed on by most people. I will give some arguments for and against banning it:

Against: it is allowed in normal OU, why can’t I use it here?

You just don’t want me to beat you.

For: in normal OU you have 6 Pokémon and you only need one of those Pokémon to have one move to hurt shedninja and it virtually useless. Here you have one Pokémon with 4 moves and you need most of the moveslots to beat the pokemon you are countering and some of the things that might beat you. shedninja over centrilses this metagame and counters around 70-80% of Pokémon posted, it is also easy to beat tyranitar beats it just by switching in as does abomnasnow and hippwodon, it takes no imagination to think of or use.

I could use it too; I just find it cheap and boring.

Rule 4
Pokémon that rely on focus sash to counter should be banned:
I’m not sure about this one, on one hand they do beat the Pokémon but on the other hand a normal counter has to switch in multiple times. No-one would say sash luvdisk can counter rhyperior in a normal game, but it works here. I kinda like it as it allows some NUs into the game but some people find it cheap.

Rule 5:
Ban hax items:
I think stuff like focus band and brightpowder should be banned, not that they get much use but someone could say their

swampert@focus band
No evs
Hydro pump

Is not countered by someone elses

azelf@C specs
252 sp. Attack/speed
Energy ball

As I may survive your energy ball and 2ko you with hydro pump.
This makes no sense as the chance of it surviving is extremely low.

The other issues I said in the thread I will write up later, we can discuss these for now.

oh and dont flame here, if you cant explain your arguement well dont say it atall.

Ok its good rules i now but 1 thing Wobbuffet should also be banned as it not UBER anymore, but it cant "Counter" Anything and no one can switch when in.
And Abilities like Autoweathersability and trap abilities should be banned.

We follow the rules sry for my attitude before.

Ok its good rules i now but 1 thing Wobbuffet should also be banned as it not UBER anymore, but it cant "Counter" Anything and no one can switch when in.

Wobbuffet is uber by smogon standards, it is just being tested on the ladder in shoddybattle right now. And what do you mean it can't counter stuff, just switch it in on something that 3HKO's it and you've got a counter. Why should auto weather pokes be banned? Explain please. And saying trap abilities should be banned contradicts with you last statement of allowing Wobbuffet.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
wobby is banned with ubers for now as it is in testing. if smogon sais its OU we may alow it, but asume the pokemon switching out has shed shell.

why? trap abilitys do not efect this game atall, you have to asume you can switch your counter in. so you assume shed shell on your previous pokemon.
whats wrong with auto weather? its a good counter to F sash users, and would you have to ban the pokemon of delete their ability?

anyway for both these if you want you can write a
rule X:
with a for and against i will edit it into my first post

its fine, its not in the first post so you can be forgivan for not knowing.
edit: beaten, rhykune said mostly the same stuff as me.

edit 2: wooho!!! 800th post

Sheddy is perfectly fine, excuse us that Gamefreak gave it WonderGaurd. And explain in depth how Sheddy doesn't counter anything.

And just because it you only have 4 moves, that to bad, think of type coverage then.

Uh there doesn't need to be any set rules. Just implied and unwritten rules etc etc. I mean, what the hell are you going to do if someone breaks a rule for that 'game'? Go and PM a mod? Right...

What I think is that the Counter game is largely useless and has the same crap posted over and over again with no real discussion.

That's what I think.

Kinda like this thread, tbh.

eric the espeon

Sheddy is perfectly fine, excuse us that Gamefreak gave it WonderGaurd. And explain in depth how Sheddy doesn't counter anything.
well they did jive it wonder gaurd so theres not much we can do about it.
sheddy doesent counter and entire pokemon compleatly, but many/most pokemon i have seen posted in the counter game ave no way of harming it.

And just because it you only have 4 moves, that to bad, think of type coverage then.
urm... can you rewrite this i dont understant what you are saying.

Uh there doesn't need to be any set rules. Just implied and unwritten rules etc etc.
that would be fine, but i have found that some people are unaware of, like to ignore, or simply disagree with these unwriten rules. clarification would help.

I mean, what the hell are you going to do if someone breaks a rule for that 'game'? Go and PM a mod? Right...
i dont think the mods have time/can be botherd to deal with every petty disagreement in the counter game. haveing rules writen down would mean players could sort things like this out themselves.

What I think is that the Counter game is largely useless and has the same crap posted over and over again with no real discussion.

That's what I think.
yea, its not about discussion. just random crazy movesets, with few real rules, i mean technicly you could use a wondertomb in the game as the rules stand.

Kinda like this thread, tbh.
thats a good sign :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)