Speed Chart

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The following is a speed chart, referring to the fraction of Pokemon that you can outspeed with your base Speed stat. For example, if your Base speed is 60, you outspeed 0.42, or 42%, of Pokemon, while if your Base speed is 100, you outspeed 0.87, or 87%, of Pokemon. This will be used in my other thread that I'm going to post soon, but I think it's good enough to be used in its own right.

All decimals are accurate to the nearest two decimal places, but can overestimate the real decimal by a maximum error of 0.01 if your Speed stat is not a multiple of 5, which won't matter much.

Enjoy.

Code:
Speed Base Stat  Speed Factor
-----------------------------
  10 or less         0.00
   11 to 15          0.01
   16 to 20          0.02
   21 to 25          0.04
   26 to 30          0.06
   31 to 35          0.12
   36 to 40          0.17
   41 to 45          0.23
   46 to 50          0.29
   51 to 55          0.37
   56 to 60          0.42
   61 to 65          0.49
   66 to 70          0.55
   71 to 75          0.62
   76 to 80          0.65
   81 to 85          0.71
   86 to 90          0.77
   91 to 95          0.82
   96 to 100         0.87
  101 to 105         0.92
  106 to 110         0.94
  111 to 115         0.95
  116 to 120         0.97
  121 to 130         0.98
  131 to 150         0.99
  151 or more        1.00

Could you post the same list, but only counting the fully evolved pokémon? Well, and Scyther, who is different enough from Scizor.

The list is very interesting, but from a competitive point of view, loses a bit of usefulness if it includes all pokémon.

I think it would be more helpful if ubers were excluded as well.

In fact, perhaps this would all be much more meaningful if you gave each Pokemon a value on how likely you are to encounter it in a battle. Outspeeding Salamence is more important than outspeeding Sunflora because you see it more often.

And that value could be directly related to each pokémon usage in Shoddy, right? Yes, that would work great, in my opinion.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll post a usage-based Speed chart some other time.

I posted the above Speed chart to be used for the rating thread I've just posted, which in my opinion makes more sense to use all Pokemon for that.

I'll post a usage-based Speed chart some other time.

I posted the above Speed chart to be used for the rating thread I've just posted, which in my opinion makes more sense to use all Pokemon for that.
You said in the other thread that you wanted to take all pokémon into account so that you could make calculations of all pokémon, NFE included. Well, the problem is that, from a competitive standpoint, removing all NFE pokémon removes a big pool of low speed pokémon, which means, for example, that Tyranitar isn't outspeeding in reality as many pokémon as the current speed factor chart implies. Yes, there are quite some NFE pokémon that are better than luvdisc. But you could put Garchomp and Luvdisc in a OU team, if you desired so, and not a Garchomp and a Gabite. NFE pokémon are incompatible with their fully evolved forms.

By making a list that excludes all NFE (bar Scyther, Porygon2, and a few other cases) and possibly Ubers, too, because it doesn't matter, when designing a CAP pokémon, if Mewtwo outspeeds you or not, we get a much more interesting rating of each pokémon speed. It includes all pokémon that can compete in OU, so it's not that UU and NU are being excluded.

X-Act

I agree that Mewtwo et al are banned from OU. But Gabite is not banned from OU. Some people use lol Rattata strategies in OU.

But they don't have the same chances as the other pokémon to appear. Not only based on power, which in this discussion is irrelevant, but based on the fact that they are competing with another pokémon for a place in the roster, since you can't have different stages of an evolution line in the same team.

Rattata would also be level 1 and every single thing would outspeed it, so it wouldn't change anything on the chart. No other pre-evo is realistically used, especially not on serious ladder play. Or at least, pretending Sunkern and Salamence both make up the same % would be wrong. I would exclude them totally (perhaps including stuff like Pikachu, and maybe Trapinch, then again everything outspeeds it), or at least use the weighed ladder stats to represent their lesser value.

Also, this doesn't really show what you outspeed, just what you can always 100% guaranteed outspeed when running maximum speed, Choice Scarf and positive nature. As it is, Miltank usually will not outspeed Heracross, because Miltank does not go beyond its minimum 236 speed while Heracross likes to max out all the way to 269 or even 295.

Just general pointers on why it isn't flawless. Doesn't take away that I always love your stuff X-Act.

X-Act

Okay, I'll make a weighted speed list depending on usage... but I'd love to have Syclant's and Revenankh's usages as well! :)

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DJD said something about making usage stats for the CaP server a while ago but I don't know how its going, you could make an educated guess for now I suppose, anyway hows progress on the usage based speed chart?

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hmmm... could you just use the Official server stats for now and switch to CaP when the are available?

If you want to put in CaP Pokemon you could have a guess about their usage.

I would estimate Syclant at about Gengar-Gyrados usage, and Revenankh at around Garchomp.

Honestly, i don't really think the usages are that high. the influx of noobs > good players >= Good players who know about CAP Approx= Good Players who use CAP.

eric the espeon

But those who do know about the new pokes almost all use them, however I don't play ladder much so my estimate is not the best. How high do you think they are?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)